• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008
    HD-DVD, everything leads to its death

http://gear.ign.com/articles/852/852769p1.html
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008 edited
    Bregt wrote
    High Definition is a new step in video, and as DVD doesn't support this, new standards had to be introduced. HD is/will be used for HDTV, High Defintion is just a step higher in video quality, just like it was from CRT t LCD/Plasma... Sort of. smile

Yes, I know why it is introduced, but that's not the issue. I just don't think everybody will own it within the next few years, and after that? Well, there'll probably be some other new stuff. Don't they keep talking about low sales in DVD? People not buying it any more? Don't see how more expensive stuff will fix that. Ah, well.

Plus, I don't like it. At all. I hate the look of digital camera's, and am glad directors like Steven Spielberg and Tarantino refuse to shoot HD. Oh well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why refuse to shoot on HD since its way better? They won't be refusing for too long and prices of everything HD related will progressively drop. Same things happen everytime there's a major technological shift but eventually everyone simply....shift. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I thought DVD did very well the past years, huge sale numbers and December is always a 'hot' month for DVD stores.

I don't have a problem with the 'old way of shooting vs the digital cameras'. That's just an evolution of movie making. What doesn't mean it is necessarily better, but easier for sure.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Digital, way better? Oh no, I'd say it isn't. Of course, it depends on what you're talking about. In terms of pixels? Sure, you can see every grain of sand. The question is, though, do you want to? There's a charm in old fashioned filmprint, a quality of the image, thats lacking in HD/digital. Spielberg and Tarantino, they understand that. Just compare The Passion with Apocalypto; the latter often looking plain ugly. It's the old fashioned charm, feel, whatever you call it, thats missing.

In some films it works: 28 Days Later has a huge advantage and Danny Boyle really made it work, and Michael Manns films, they are just meant to be shot digitally, just because of the feel of the city. Its also the reason why I prefer Death Proof (print) over Planet Terror (digital) any day. The first is too... artificial. Everything is just too much in focus, and you loose the original cinematic feel. There's an artistry in filmprint that digital/HD doesn't have. And in this whole new age, thats slipping away sad
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I believe next year Blockbuster will be going Blu-Ray.

I don't have an HD TV. I can't afford the tv and the dvd player. Haha, I'm in college.
    I'll just start saving... for a real long time.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I've got the TV, but I still need the player...not to mention the actual movies are like double the price. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wait wait wait, there seems to be a confusion here.

Digital Video has been around for ages and MANY shoot using that (miniDV, DVCAM etc etc). High Definition (which will go on either HD-DVD or BLURAY) IS digital as well but only better and of higher resolutions. If you're comparing the digital formats we currently have (i.e. the ones written on DVD and i mentioned before) in contrast to High Definition Video, THERE IS a significant change in the resolutions, pixels and clarity especially depending on the cameras used. It's not just a technological gadget, there is BIG to VERY BIG difference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    When are we going to get HD-CDs?! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    So, the time has come. The moment where two things might happen: either people rush to the store to get their BluRay and, as everybody expected they'd do as soon as it was clear which one of them would win. Or, BluRay will prove to appeal to a niche market, with DVD co-existing. Soon, everything will be revealed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Anthony wrote
    When are we going to get HD-CDs?! dizzy

Well, they exist already, but it didn't catch on. That was called SACD and Hybrid thingy's, or stuff, right? There was a moment where it was announced big, but now you see them once in a while, but it has basically died down, people preferring regular CD's (even though you can also play them on a special CD player... see the similarity's? wink).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BobdH wrote
    So, the time has come. The moment where two things might happen: either people rush to the store to get their BluRay and, as everybody expected they'd do as soon as it was clear which one of them would win. Or, BluRay will prove to appeal to a niche market, with DVD co-existing. Soon, everything will be revealed.

I suspect it will be the latter. Clearly I hope it will be the former!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I don't really care if Blu-Ray is just a niche market as long as it doesn't just fade away. I really do want to get a high definition player, but for one I can't afford one at the moment, and two, there isn't a decent player out there yet (apart from the PS3, but I don't need one of those!). As long as enough people buy the players and movies to keep it afloat then that's ok. I will join them soon. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008 edited
    This will boost PS3 sales to new hights.

I'm very glad there'll be just one new standard. Sony takes revenge after their Betamax lost it to VHS like 20 years ago.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    A pretty belated revenge, then. They sure know how to hold a grudge biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    lol, I don't want to buy a damn PS3! I have a 360 and I'm happy with that. Why can't Microsoft just release a damn Blu-Ray drive for it like they did with HD-DVD?! crazy
  1. A Quick Question about Blu-ray

I want to buy Rudy on Blu-ray

As I know most but not all Blu-Ray's are region free and considering I can only buy the Blu-ray in the USA (aka Region code 1 normally on DVD's) I was wondering if this one will play on my PS3 (I'm from Belgium aka region code 2)

I found this article on wikepedia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Region codes

Blu-ray Discs may be encoded with a region code, intended to restrict the area of the world in which they can be played, similar in principle to the DVD region codes, although the used geographical regions differ. Blu-ray Disc players sold in a certain region may only play discs encoded for that region. This is primarily used for market segmentation, or price discrimination, but it also allows motion picture studios to control the various aspects of a release (including content and release date) according to the region. Discs may also be produced without region coding, so they can be played on all devices. The countries of the major Blu-ray manufacturers (Japan, Malaysia, South Korea, etc.) are in the same region as the Americas. As of late 2008, almost 70% of all released discs were region-free.

Major studios have different region coding policies. Paramount Pictures and Universal Studios have released all of their titles region free. Sony Pictures and Warner Bros. have released most of their titles region free, but titles released by Warner's New Line division were, initially, region-coded but subsequently have been released without being locked. Titles released by other labels on behalf of New Line are still subject to some region locking. Lionsgate and Walt Disney Pictures have released a mix of titles that were region free and region coded. 20th Century Fox has released all but three of their titles region coded.

In the Blu-ray region coding system, the United States is placed in region A while regions B and C are used for countries which can experience localization delays before U.S. titles are officially released. The opposite, though, is sometimes true and a few new titles such as Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Running Scared were released in certain European countries before the U.S. release.[60] In response to the DVD region system, multi-region and region-free DVD players became dominant in certain markets; certain Blu-ray player models have been modified to allow for playback of Blu-ray and DVD discs with any region code

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I was wondering, am I correct to assume Rudy has a pretty good chance it will run on my PS3?
    If not, I don't want to invest into something I can't play

Ps, DVD's aren't an option either. I only find Region 1 DVD's so that's not good either
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009
    I think the mention of Universal and Paramount releasing their stuff region free mainly applies to Blu-ray. As far as I am aware, nothing by Universal has yet to come out on Blu-ray as they were backing HD-DVD.
  2. Anthony wrote
    I think the mention of Universal and Paramount releasing their stuff region free mainly applies to Blu-ray. As far as I am aware, nothing by Universal has yet to come out on Blu-ray as they were backing HD-DVD.

I know, but the movie is by Tristar, so I'm not sure

Man I really want it shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote

The Mummy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well there you go..!

I'm waiting for The Bourne Ultimatum. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm waiting for Star Wars, Back To The Future and Indiana Jones.
  3. I'm waiting for Stardust, True Lies and LOTR wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Indiana Jones.

Ditto to that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I have Rudy on Blu-Ray and it operates on my UK (Region B) player.

There are "guidelines" over which studios' films will work, but they don't work every time. The forum at www.blu-ray.com is an excellent place to find out about specific titles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Indiana Jones.

Ditto to that!

The Indy trilogy is coming some time this year according to sources.
  4. Southall wrote
    I have Rudy on Blu-Ray and it operates on my UK (Region B) player.

There are "guidelines" over which studios' films will work, but they don't work every time. The forum at www.blu-ray.com is an excellent place to find out about specific titles.

I already checked that one out, and it states regionfree

So I ordered it and hoping it will work

I guess you love that movie too because of the music eh wink
  5. I got Rudy on Blu Ray from the States as well, works fine on my uk PS3 so I'm sure you'll be okay. I really just wanted to see it because I love the score so much. I would've just rented it but it has never been released on dvd here in the uk. But I'm glad I got to see it in High Def, it looks great and I really enjoyed the film. A shame the isolated score wasn't carried over from the DVD release though.
  6. John Chambers wrote
    I got Rudy on Blu Ray from the States as well, works fine on my uk PS3 so I'm sure you'll be okay. I really just wanted to see it because I love the score so much. I would've just rented it but it has never been released on dvd here in the uk. But I'm glad I got to see it in High Def, it looks great and I really enjoyed the film. A shame the isolated score wasn't carried over from the DVD release though.

ah good to know

Yep, I wanted that movie so bad, and considering it is not available here it will suffice having to buy it elsewhere. The score is really sensational in the movie. Makes the movie twice the more enjoyable. And I'm already a sucker for sports movie.

Woohee, can't wait to see it finally in good quality smile