• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    How is going the market of this two new formats??

They Will be soon make DVD die?

thanks.
  1. as long as The usual DVD players doesn't play this format I'll guess DVD will exist. However I think Blue Ray has got the advantage in the case that the Playstation 3 can play this format.

My guess Blue Ray wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007 edited
    HD-DVD is what's slowly but steadily taking over everything. Blu-ray is losing more and more ground each day with PLAYSTATION 3 the only serious attention it gets as a format. Next is HD-audio...strap yourselves on your seats for that wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    HD-DVD is what's slowly but steadily taking over everything. Blu-ray is losing more and more ground each day with PLAYSTATION 3 the only serious attention it gets as a format. Next is HD-audio...strap yourselves on your seats for that wink

I can't imagine how that's going to work... confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's under development as we speak, in initial stages. But from the little i've learned about , it's going to be awesome when finalized.
  2. It's great that HD-TV and HD-audio are being rolled out - 'cause standard-TV and CDs look and sound really crap!! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2007
    Well standard TV does look crap when compared to HD. I'm not sure about HD audio though, you'll probably need 2 things to notice the difference; a good set of speakers and a good set of ears.
  3. I´ll gonna buy Blue-HD-Ray-DVD as soon as possible. Sounds cool, that stuff... dizzy
  4. Steven wrote
    I'm not sure about HD audio though, you'll probably need 2 things to notice the difference; a good set of speakers and a good set of ears.

I assume that the HD-audio benefits will be based around the speaker systems that have >2 speakers?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Steven wrote
    Well standard TV does look crap when compared to HD.

It will need to be mindblowingly better to warrant forking out for another format to watch movies on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm considering buying an HD tv at the moment (well, I WILL buy one when the tv I want, the Samsung LE40F86BD, becomes slightly cheaper).

I keep hearing that HDDVD is winning the battle over Blu-Ray - but walking round the shops over Christmas revealed a lot more titles on offer on Blu-Ray in stores. So I wonder. Anyway, Samsung are shortly bringing out a player which is meant to handle both formats as well as dedicated players, so I guess I'll go for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Well standard TV does look crap when compared to HD.

It will need to be mindblowingly better to warrant forking out for another format to watch movies on.

It's probably best to wait until prices go down though, I'll admit. Have you seen HD DVD? I saw Planet Earth in HD once, and I almost fainted... shocked

Once you've seen HD, normal DVD seems like VHS!
  6. Southall wroteI keep hearing that HDDVD is winning the battle over Blu-Ray - but walking round the shops over Christmas revealed a lot more titles on offer on Blu-Ray in stores. So I wonder. Anyway, Samsung are shortly bringing out a player which is meant to handle both formats as well as dedicated players, so I guess I'll go for that.

I keep hearing everywhere blu-ray is currently winning, thanks in part to PS3. At least it's like that in Europe. Don't know if HD DVD is selling better in the States though. But I'm a supporter of blu ray and I love the quality of all the movies I bought so far. It definitely can't hold a candle to normal DVD. But then DVD quality isn't awful to begin with...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    This so called battle is a joke.
    I don't like it. I can't see why you wuld prefer one above the other.
    Both are extremely high quality, both can handle lots of data.

It's just a stupid game.
    Kazoo
  7. You're right, it's stupid, but that doesn't matter to the manufacturers and studios, they want only one to win, their own product. Now in an ideal world blu ray would be able to co-exist with HD-DVD, as much as one man could co-exist with everybody else, but this is hardly an ideal world, right? War is business, man!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2007 edited
    I think it's one that will prevail in the end and all indications show HD so far. Have you seen DVD or CD co-existing with anything different but at the same time as similar as HD-DVD and BLU-RAY are?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    If they both keep exist, what will happen after that, when newer versions need to be developed? Another competetor would join?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Which ever is best at marketing will win in the end... and HD seems to be doing that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAndy
    I don't really care whether HD-DVD or Blu-Ray wins (although as far as I know, Blu-Ray movies seem to sell better at the moment, judging by the reports I've read, although I suspect the reports say different things depending on the source) but I am extremely pleased with my HD TV and Playstation 3. Planet Earth looks AMAZING!

Also, I think it's pointless to debate whether HD-DVD or Blu-Ray is the better format, or betting on a winner. HD-DVD fans will of course brag about how great "their" format is and how bad Blu-Ray is, and the same goes for the fans in the Blu-Ray corner, but vice versa. Totally pointless. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Cookie monster
  8. Speaking about Planet Earth, this looks to be the most visually spectacular documentary I've ever seen, okay so I don't watch much documentaries but this really interests me, I particularly enjoy the ones where the music is in perfect marriage with the visuals, such as Deep Blue, which has brilliant imagery and music. I also saw Microcosmos 2 times and it's beautiful and well shot, with the slow motion and all.

I will be getting it on blu-ray at one point, just to be able to show what HD is all about...

Another movie that gets me extremely excited right now is Apocalypto, looks to be a truly incredible viewing experience on blu-ray. And what I read about the film itself, looks very positive as well. Too bad they only released it in french and english talking regions, not yet here in Dutch speaking Belgium... Why they do this, actually? Okay, so I understand english, but I would prefer the dutch subtitles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2008
    Wow...My less own favourite thread, and it is the most succesful.

Now I understand why Coppola did Jack. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Be careful the way you word things Jordi, that's all I can say.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

No, please! Pass him another spade punk cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

No, please! Pass him another spade punk cool wink

What is happening now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008 edited
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    I support HD, but Blue Ray is gonna win. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I finally nailed my colours to the Blu-Ray mast by ordering a player to go with my new 1080p television. I do wonder though whether this will really catch on, given that for most viewers it won't be the quantum leap that going from VHS to DVD was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Seeing true HD certainly is. Once you've seen that, 520p looks shit (which is what most DVDs are).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008 edited
    I agree, but not that many people have a true HD television do they? Many of those branded "HD-Ready" don't even do 1080i, let alone p, and there's a pretty steep price increase to get to the latter. Still, I'm excited and can't wait for the equipment to arrive. Next will be a decent sound system, but that will require a bit of saving up...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I recently saw a promo HD-DVD in a mediastore, with splitscreen; normal DVD left, HD-DVD on the right, and I have to admit, it is indeed a huge improvement. They did cheat, though; I don't believe the transfer of the regular DVD from Underworld is nearly as blurry and soft as they showed it slant