• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    What Shore did with the new HOBBIT albums seems to lie closer to a C&C ideology than a "proper", professionally and artistically created A&A one, which is why I get my knickers in a bunch (correct phrase??).

"Knickers in a twist" is the more common phrase.

Let's not forget that there is a level of professionalism and artistry in the "C&C ideology", it comes under the umbrella term 'film music composition'.

'Film music composition' is something very different altogether. That doesn't have anything to do with C&C and soundtrack presentations, that has to do with the music in context, the composer's musical abilities, their dramatic skills and so on.

There is zero artistry and subjectivity in C&C. There is a professionalism and craft involved, namely the technical skills in working with tapes and transfers and all that. If there is any artistry in a C&C release, it resides in the creation of the cover artwork and maybe the liner notes, but even the latter usually eschews subjective analyses in favour of objective, fact-based 'nuts and bolts'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2012
    Thor wrote:
    Steven wrote:

You're crazy.

If I am, I'm not alone. Seems like there's a pretty even 50-50 balance of the two preferences here (which is unusual, but very refreshing).

Yeah, and most people believe in an invisible friend that talks to them and occasionally answers their prayers! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm most gratified you share me under Supreme Beings, but I'm not sure I'm worthy of the honour.
    ...Oh go on, yeah, OK. I am.

Anyway, agree with Thor completely.
    While there is certainly technical proficiency involved in any release, the only artistry that is left is the artistry in the composition. There is no artistry or (personal) vision in releasing it all. That's like a painter just emptying ten buckets of paint on a canvas and leaves the viewer to sort it out.

But at the end of the day, it's a choice.
    Clearly general tastes and preferences have shifted from a concert-like (re)presentation of the original material to the availability of most (or all) of the available original material. In many ways it makes sense: it IS after all the original material, as it was intended for primary use (supporting the film), and I can well see where that appeals to fans of the film, or fans of the use of the music as employed in the film.

Sadly for such as Thor and myself, who aparently prefer that oddest of hybrids these days (a listenable representation of the music for the film in a conceptual way), as usual as that was well until into the nineties, that has just gone out of fashion.

It's just the way it is.
    But that doesn't mean I can't bemoan it. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Absolutely not! In fact, BEMOANING is the only thing we have left! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just something a little OT. Even though we all have differing opinion on this manner I'm so glad that we can beat this dead horse in a civilized manner. Now imagine if this was FSM...

Cheers for the good and at times humorous discussion! beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    wine champagne beer hug
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can feel the love already love hug beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Stop it! MORE ANGER; PLEASE!!!!

For Odin!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Stop it! MORE ANGER; PLEASE!!!!

:thor:

Okay!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, and most people believe in an invisible friend that talks to them and occasionally answers their prayers! biggrin

Are you talking to me? uhm

Since I'm God around here, I'll have to say that I stand with the 50% of Thor's side on this. Who's by accident, named after a God as well.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Thor wrote
    There is zero artistry and subjectivity in C&C. There is a professionalism and craft involved, namely the technical skills in working with tapes and transfers and all that. If there is any artistry in a C&C release, it resides in the creation of the cover artwork and maybe the liner notes, but even the latter usually eschews subjective analyses in favour of objective, fact-based 'nuts and bolts'.

Hmmm... Have to disagree here. There is tons of artistry and subjectivity in C&C; A good composer uses every opportunity he or she gets to showcase versatility, thematic development, storytelling, in other words the skill set it takes to score a 90+ min movie. C&C allows for a richer context, a better understanding of themes and their part in the movie, a natural progression and a more complete emotional journey, so it definitely heightens the experience of the music IMO.

To say there is zero artistry and subjectivity in C&C is a very extreme point and makes me wonder if you're more in love with the art of album producing than you are with the art of film scoring wink

Now granted, I can see the value of album presentation, but to me it is second to the first and foremost artform, the movie, and it's there where the art of the music really comes through. And C&C happens to reflect that better.

A film composer writes music for a film, the album (if there is one) comes long after.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    francis wrote
    Thor wrote

Hmmm... Have to disagree here. There is tons of artistry and subjectivity in C&C; A good composer uses every opportunity he or she gets to showcase versatility, thematic development, storytelling, in other words the skill set it takes to score a 90+ min movie. C&C allows for a richer context, a better understanding of themes and their part in the movie, a natural progression and a more complete emotional journey, so it definitely heightens the experience of the music IMO.

To say there is zero artistry and subjectivity in C&C is a very extreme point and makes me wonder if you're more in love with the art of album producing than you are with the art of film scoring wink

Now granted, I can see the value of album presentation, but to me it is second to the first and foremost artform, the movie, and it's there where the art of the music really comes through. And C&C happens to reflect that better.

A film composer writes music for a film, the album (if there is one) comes long after.

I disagree with that. The artistry you're actually describing is the music for the film itself, not an album presentation. And of course there's artistry involved in film composition, i.e. writing music specifically for film. If you don't do anything with that music when you transfer the music to an audio-only format, however, there is no artistry involved. It's merely a technical transfer. Lots of craft in that, but no subjectivity or art other than inside the tracks themselves.

What we're talking about here is the artform of ORGANIZATION and ADAPTATION of musical raw material, not the artform of creating music itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Thor wrote
    I disagree with that. The artistry you're actually describing is the music for the film itself, not an album presentation. And of course there's artistry involved in film composition, i.e. writing music specifically for film. If you don't do anything with that music when you transfer the music to an audio-only format, however, there is no artistry involved. It's merely a technical transfer. Lots of craft in that, but no subjectivity or art other than inside the tracks themselves.

What we're talking about here is the artform of ORGANIZATION and ADAPTATION of musical raw material, not the artform of creating music itself.

I don't consider re-arranging tracks, editing, putting them in a different order or re-adapting them as big an artform as creating the music for the movie, music which is featured finalized anyway in the movie. I don't get why you NEED to do anything with the music just for the sake of doing something with it. Sure, a CD producer can make a presentation for a CD album, or a conductor can arrange a suite for a concert, but at the end of the day if the music is up to a certain standard, I say listen to it in C&C and in album presentation, that way at least you get to make up your mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    francis wrote
    Thor wrote

I don't consider re-arranging tracks, editing, putting them in a different order or re-adapting them as big an artform as creating the music for the movie, music which is featured finalized anyway in the movie. I don't get why you NEED to do anything with the music just for the sake of doing something with it. Sure, a CD producer can make a presentation for a CD album, or a conductor can arrange a suite for a concert, but at the end of the day if the music is up to a certain standard, I say listen to it in C&C and in album presentation, that way at least you get to make up your mind.

I agree that the creation of the music itself is THE thing, but soundtracks is in the unique position wherein the music swaps medium from one where it is supposed to support the visual action to one where it is supposed to stand alone as a self-sufficient piece. As such, adaptation and re-organization becomes a very important artistic criterion for it to work (at least for me). Two different media, two different set of properties.

If I want to experience the artform of film music composition, I'll watch the movie.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    francis wrote
    I don't get why you NEED to do anything with the music just for the sake of doing something with it.

I's not 'just for the sake of it', it is because in the end of the day, film and CD are two completely different mediums and even when you present the full score in chronological order, you still change it significantly from the presentation in the film in a way that doesn't necissarily holds its own on an album.

For example, in a film you can state a theme, have 15 minutes of no music, and then repeat this theme. It can easily work in the film - however, transfer it literally to CD, remove the gap (and the scene of the film, which focuses the audience on other things in the meantime) and what you're left with is just a too repetitious theme. Overkill, in a way that doesn't necessarily is the intention of the composer.

That same principle applies (to a greater or lesser extent) to the full score. Listening to music on CD is different from the experience you have of it in the film, so don't treat it the same.

(And that's not even speaking of very short cues that purposefully just provide a scene with that little bit of extra aural texture with the audience hardly noticing, but slows down the musical presentation when placed on album without volume edits and thus with full volume but little substance because it was never meant that way.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis

I agree that the creation of the music itself is THE thing, but soundtracks is in the unique position wherein the music swaps medium from one where it is supposed to support the visual action to one where it is supposed to stand alone as a self-sufficient piece.

I agree with this and I think in a lot of cases a C&C presentation holds up as just that without losing any of the 'artistry'. I'm not against album programs, I'm just argumenting against C&C having zero artistry which I find an extreme position. I'll agree that in the cases it doesn't hold up, an album version is recommended.

As such, adaptation and re-organization becomes a very important artistic criterion for it to work (at least for me). Two different media, two different set of properties.

If I want to experience the artform of film music composition, I'll watch the movie.

Problem is the movie has sound effects and dialogue, and isolated scores are scarce. So to enjoy the music fully, a C&C presentation helps. And the audio medium isn't limited to a certain running time, when again, the music is up to the standard. The album form for soundtracks in its roots, is an archaic ruin depending more on avoiding orchestra fees and prepping fast releases (album releases that are done while the music isn't finished yet) than it is a true art form...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    francis wrote
    I'm just argumenting against C&C having zero artistry which I find an extreme position.

Thor taking an extreme position on C&C issues?
    Francis! How could you even think such a thing!
    On that subject the man is known as the very pinnacle of reasoned moderation!
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    BobdH wrote
    francis wrote
    I don't get why you NEED to do anything with the music just for the sake of doing something with it.

I's not 'just for the sake of it', it is because in the end of the day, film and CD are two completely different mediums and even when you present the full score in chronological order, you still change it significantly from the presentation in the film in a way that doesn't necissarily holds its own on an album.

For example, in a film you can state a theme, have 15 minutes of no music, and then repeat this theme. It can easily work in the film - however, transfer it literally to CD, remove the gap (and the scene of the film, which focuses the audience on other things in the meantime) and what you're left with is just a too repetitious theme. Overkill, in a way that doesn't necessarily is the intention of the composer.

That same principle applies (to a greater or lesser extent) to the full score. Listening to music on CD is different from the experience you have of it in the film, so don't treat it the same.

I didn't say it is the same, nor did I say that the album presentation has no artistry, but I like to have the choice of both options. With a strict album presentation, I don't get that choice and OFTEN (not always) it makes me miss out on a lot more artistry than is featured.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Martijn wrote
    francis wrote
    I'm just argumenting against C&C having zero artistry which I find an extreme position.

Thor taking an extreme position on C&C issues?
    Francis! How could you even think such a thing!
    On that subject the man is known as the very pinnacle of reasoned moderation!
    biggrin

Hey, I'm just representing the other 50 % wink

Thor and I are cool. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2012 edited
    francis wrote
    I agree that the creation of the music itself is THE thing, but soundtracks is in the unique position wherein the music swaps medium from one where it is supposed to support the visual action to one where it is supposed to stand alone as a self-sufficient piece.

I agree with this and I think in a lot of cases a C&C presentation holds up as just that without losing any of the 'artistry'. I'm not against album programs, I'm just argumenting against C&C having zero artistry which I find an extreme position. I'll agree that in the cases it doesn't hold up, an album version is recommended.

I think we're talking past each other on this point. I agree that the actual CONTENTS of the music entails artistry and creativity (duh!) and those contents are obviously also in a C&C presentation. Inside the tracks themselves. But what we're talking about here is on a structural level; how the cues are organized, not the musical contents per se. I don't think it's extreme to assert that a C&C PRESENTATION/TRANSFER has little to no subjectivity involved. It's basically just taking all the cues from the film and putting them on CD. No thought as relates to musical structure away from the movie. To put it it 'on the edge', it's basically a mouse click operation, using the film as the guide for how you sequence the tracks.

Problem is the movie has sound effects and dialogue, and isolated scores are scarce. So to enjoy the music fully, a C&C presentation helps.

That is a perfectly legitimate way to approach soundtracks, although I don't share it. If I want to experience the music that way, I'll watch the film (even if it means it's dialed down or drowned in sound effects now and then -- that's part of its purpose, after all). It's part of the film TOOLS, and the only way I can appreciate that is in the film itself. That being said, sometimes I think it's useful with an isolated score to really hear what the composer wants to communicate IN THE MOVIE.

The album form for soundtracks in its roots, is an archaic ruin depending more on avoiding orchestra fees and prepping fast releases (album releases that are done while the music isn't finished yet) than it is a true art form...

I think any technical limitations or external factors there might be, these may also prove valuable point-of-departures for an artistic statement. If re-use fees demand that you only have 30-40 minutes at your disposal and the score runs, let's say, 80 minutes, it means it 'forces' the composer or the producer to re-think the material, structurally. So in that way, it may actually be an opportunity, not a hindrance.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just something a little OT. Even though we all have differing opinion on this manner I'm so glad that we can beat this dead horse in a civilized manner. Now imagine if this was FSM...

I've always found it puzzling how excited people can get about this topic. Every time I witness one of these discussions it's like being transported into a bizzaro world, where up is down, water is oil, Michael Bay makes quality movies and where completely unimportant non-topics are the most important and ferociously debated topics possible to have.

Peter confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I've always found it puzzling how excited people can get about this topic. Every time I witness one of these discussions it's like being transported into a bizzaro world, where up is down, water is oil, Michael Bay makes quality movies and where completely unimportant non-topics are the most important and ferociously debated topics possible to have.

Peter confused

It's exciting because it goes to the very CORE of why we're soundtrack fans. It's such a unique 'genre' (if you could call it that) that has two very different ways of approach. Your interest in soundtracks can either stem from the movie experience or it can -- like in my way -- appear as an extension of interest in other types of 'concept albums' (prog rock, instrumental electronic music, classical). As such, it's easy to take things personally (which often happens at FSM), even though it shouldn't, really. It's just a matter of personal preference, backed up by one's own rationalisations of that preference.

I think that's the reason for why it is -- and has always been -- my favourite topic in film score land.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Thor, I can only speak for myself, but my interest does stem from both 'experiences'; I'm not exclusive to just liking the score as is in the movie, BUT I am open for both approaches and see the merit of them. Which I why I advocate C&C/album pairings. I received Generations the other day, I like the new film score presentation because of the handful of great cues added that strengthen the listening experience, but I also love the flow of the album
    presentation because that feels less repetitive in parts and has a good balance between action and quiet cues.

Surely both can be released together without the album version losing some of its artistry not?

And to Plindboe, I think it is an interesting topic because there has been an evolution in the soundtrack releases from 30/40 minute LP/CD releases to include C&C as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    It's exciting because it goes to the very CORE of why we're soundtrack fans. It's such a unique 'genre' (if you could call it that) that has two very different ways of approach. Your interest in soundtracks can either stem from the movie experience or it can -- like in my way -- appear as an extension of interest in other types of 'concept albums' (prog rock, instrumental electronic music, classical).

Perhaps I'm not understanding you, but those two options don't seem mutually exclusive to me nor the only options available. I wouldn't apply either to myself. My interest in soundtracks stems from me simply enjoying the music; I will headbang to The ecstacy of gold, no matter how it works in the movie (or even if it had never appeared in a movie), and no matter how it's presented in an album.

Thor wrote
    As such, it's easy to take things personally (which often happens at FSM), even though it shouldn't, really. It's just a matter of personal preference, backed up by one's own rationalisations of that preference.

Indeed, and that's one reason why I find it a bit silly. If the whole thing essentially boils down to "I prefer the colour blue" vs. "I prefer the colour red", I'd rather go and look at the colour that does it for me, than making a big deal out of trying to "prove" that my colour is the best one.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    francis wrote

Surely both can be released together without the album version losing some of its artistry not?

Absolutely, there's room for both. The frustrating thing for me, however, is when there is no such choice. There's only the C&C and that's that. Vice versa, I guess it's frustrating for people in your camp to not get all the music you want on a regular program. So the only solution -- given the particular divide in approach that soundtrack appreciation has -- is to have two different albums for each preference (not on the same release, preferably, since that ups the price too much).

Perhaps I'm not understanding you, but those two options don't seem mutually exclusive to me nor the only options available. I wouldn't apply either to myself. My interest in soundtracks stems from me simply enjoying the music; I will headbang to The ecstacy of gold, no matter how it works in the movie (or even if it had never appeared in a movie), and no matter how it's presented in an album.

I wasn't so much talking about two options, but where one's interest in soundtracks stems from in the first place. I would bet my life savings (which isn't all that much, granted) that those who favour C&C became interested in soundtracks because of the movies and how the music worked in them at some point in their life. Not that an interest in the music itself is excluded from that, but that's the main source of difference, I think. Otherwise, there would be little point in using the film as a principle on how to organize and present the music on CD.

Indeed, and that's one reason why I find it a bit silly. If the whole thing essentially boils down to "I prefer the colour blue" vs. "I prefer the colour red", I'd rather go and look at the colour that does it for me, than making a big deal out of trying to "prove" that my colour is the best one.

I don't think it's so much about proving that one preference is better than the other; it's more about rationalizing WHY one has the preference one has, and getting to understand more of each. If we were always just content with 'I like this' and 'I like that' without the possibility to back up our opinions, discussions would be terribly, terribly boring.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    OK, I think now is a good time to ask what C&C is. What's C&C?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Complete and chronological?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    That's like a painter just emptying ten buckets of paint on a canvas and leaves the viewer to sort it out.

Isn't what "modern crap, sorry "art" is all about ? wink

Oh and where did you people grow up? In a hole? "C&c" Is "command and conquer"
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Bregje wrote
    OK, I think now is a good time to ask what C&C is. What's C&C?

cocunut and cherry. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote
    Complete and chronological?

Yes.
    I am extremely serious.