• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. ... but manages to make a 10 lb sledehammer feel like a good thing!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2008
    One of the best scores I've ever heard. The producers should be shot who rejected that score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    Steven wrote
    One of the best scores I've ever heard. The producers should be shot who rejected that score!

Couldn't agree more. I guess in the world of film music, we can safely talk about one of the biggest ever FAILS on behalf of any studio and any producer / executive, ever with this one.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    My report here in a more central topic:
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … 8/#Item_19
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    Today, the 16th of october, was Yareds music seminar class here in Ghent, an initiative from the film festival and my college, curated by my filmmusic teacher. He played bits and pieces and talked about his relationship with Mr Minghella, his filmmusic, his life in the film industry, the problems on Troy, the current state of filmmusic, the good effect of Santaollala, and how he works as a omposer.

His main idea was that a good film composer is not just a film music writer but a composer. He should write music that works with the film but that should be able to stand on its own as an independent composition. In order to write so, the composer should be involved in the working proces very early on, preferably in the scripting stage, before shooting.

“The three months (or much less) that most composers get in post production is bullshit.” Yared liked to talk about the relationship between a composer and a director as a marriage. In the early stage you’re engaged, you talk about the film, you try to take all their ideas and work with that. You start writing, you let them hear your music, and you go back writing, back and forth. “I could play it to them on a piano,” he said, but often directors don‘t trust that, or lack the musical knowledge to get where I‘m going, so I play it out in demo’s. (the Vienna software has very beautiful sounds)

Examples of good marriages that he gave were Rota-Fellini, Hitch and Herrmann (although that was a difficult and hard one), and Leone&Morricone (he didn‘t mentioned Williams). In the best situation you can have your own demo’s be used as temp tracks. Editors (like his friend “the butcher” Walter Murch) can cut those demo’s while they are re-editing all the time, but your central ideas, the “cells”, and the composer his musical voice stay the same.

But, he continued, the essence of film music is not sitting behind your desk, after your computer screen, with your keayboard and scoring the right spots and moments, scene after scene. It is about finding the spirit of the film. After the golden age with Steiner there was a decline. Now there aren’t many real composers who can touch you in the brain and the soul. It is about effects, for them. Th effect of hitting you in the somach, Yared said. A theme and some cheap harmonies.

[more to come]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks Timon, looking forward to more.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thanks indeed! We should make this an article. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    Ok, we could do that. (but it will take a couple of days in order to make it better written.)

A little more on today:

When someone asked Yared if he had a predilection for strings, noticing how little brass instruments we had heard until then, Yared told us that he chooses only those instruments that he thinks are needed. And so we got to the subject of Troy, were there‘s several brass players and trumpets and etcetera.

Because he mentioned Troy already, I tought that it was the right time to ask him about that score, if he could play and speak about his themes for that film. He hesitated a bit. I felt he was somewhat bothered by the question, but he did play the Achilles theme and the lovetheme on the piano, albeit in a hurry. If only for five seconds, it was sort of a unique moment, you know. Then he proposed to play a track from that film, accompagnied by the written score being projected on a big screen, which is an offer you can‘t refuse ofcourse. And so it happened. The track he choose from the music that he had with him on a mac.book was “The Sacking of Troy”.

I asked if the score would ever be played live. No, he said. There's the thing about publishers and lawyers. Copyrights of him and the rights with Warner Bros. And the other reason being that those folks do not want people to know what a wonderful score they’ve decided to replace. “But that‘s a thing from the past,” he said, bowing his head a bit. At the end of the day, he’s kinda glad his name is not credited on the final result. “I can thank the [greek] gods for that,” he added quick-witted.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    thanks for this.
    I was going to ask if he mentioned anything else on troy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    Pictures of Gabriel Yareds concert:
    http://www.filmfestival.be/features2.cg … edition=35
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    Cool! Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009
    At last, a rather interesting new assignment:

Gabriel Yared: Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky

Dutch director Jan Kounen's upcoming account of the romance between legendary fashion designer Coco Chanel and composer Igor Stravinsky, taking place in Paris efter Stravinsky's infamous premiere of 'The Rite of Spring', gets an original score composed by Gabriel Yared (The English Patient, Cold Mountain, The Life of Others).

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … -igor.html

--------------

What's this craze with Coco Chanel btw? Is it an anniversary of something Coco-y this year?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Dutch director Jan Kounen's upcoming account of the romance between legendary fashion designer Coco Chanel and composer Igor Stravinsky, taking place in Paris efter Stravinsky's infamous premiere of 'The Rite of Spring', gets an original score composed by Gabriel Yared (The English Patient, Cold Mountain, The Life of Others).

--------------

What's this craze with Coco Chanel btw? Is it an anniversary of something Coco-y this year?

I could care less rolleyes But a new Yared score!? cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

--------------

I could care less rolleyes But a new Yared score!? cool beer

Yeah, it's been long, hasn't it?! punk
  2. Some kind of beautiful classical piano-like score would be nice.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    justin boggan wrote
    Some kind of beautiful classical piano-like score would be nice.

Yared-style. Word!
  3. I hope Yared doesn't mind looking into Stravinsky's music a bit. It would seem to be a missed opportunity otherwise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    I hope Yared doesn't mind looking into Stravinsky's music a bit. It would seem to be a missed opportunity otherwise.

If there's one man to actually do his homework in this way, that's Yared but i am sure you of all already know this smile Oh and Desplat.
  4. http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009

Really want to hear that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009
    The Hedgehog ( OT: Le Hérisson )

http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.ph … son--.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009
    Old news, but I just read this article by Yared himself, with a deteiled report of all the Troy affaire
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. Yeah, that and a lengthy interview I did with him, are at my rejected scores site.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    I've been hearing some of the tracks from Yared's Adieu Bonaparte on SST recently. It's deep stuff with the ondes martenot and a killer of a 3 note brass motif. Whoah!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I really like Yared's music a lot and will check it out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009 edited
    Edit
    Kazoo
  6. It's a fine score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009
    Announced recently -

AMELIA
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Gabriel Yared

Hilary Swank
    Richard Gere

One of the most anticipated films of the fall, Fox Searchlight’s Amelia is already being touted as a major award contender.

Amelia stars two-time Academy Award-winner Hilary Swank as Amelia Earhart, the legendary aviatrix and enigmatic symbol of the American free spirit, who was guided by a profound curiosity for everything life had to offer. Earhart’s early aviation triumphs and meteoric rise to fame and fortune were propelled along by her tempestuous partnership and eventual marriage to publisher George Putnam (Richard Gere). Bound by mutual ambition, admiration and ultimately a great love, their bond could not be broken even with her brief passionate affair with Gene Vidal (Ewan McGregor).

Ms. Earhart was the first woman to solo the Atlantic and was the first pilot, man or woman, to fly unaccompanied across the Pacific. In Amelia’s attempt to be the first to fly around the world in an equatorial flight, her life was tragically cut short with her mysterious and untimely disappearance over the South Pacific in 1937.

The soaring score is by the Academy Award-winning composer Gabriel Yared (The English Patient).

Fox Searchlight will begin rolling out AMELIA on October 23, expanding in the coming weeks.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 066 994 2
    Release Date: 11/10/09
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009
    Nice, great news! It's been so long since we got a new release from Mr.Yared. Anyone heard it yet?
  7. I think the last new release we got for Yared, was about three months ago, from a foreign label.

I can't wait until sound samples. Was at Yared's site yesterday listening to some stuff, but this wasn't there.