• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. There's a seventy-something minute long score-only promo. I don't have it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    The CD has a meagre amount of score, I won't bother! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012 edited
    Gabriel Yared with Full Orchestra
    performed by the Brussels Philharmonic and conducted by Dirk Brossé
    15 June 2013 at Flagey, Brussels
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012
    Now, that's a concert!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    If I'm not on a holiday, I'm defenitely going; The last Yared concert was fabulous. A much smaller ensemble (7 or 8 musiscians, a tribute to Minghella).
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, I'd like to be there!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. sounds good, both Yared and you Timmer wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2013
    Bregt wrote

Yared will be there too and he will perform on piano.

I have tickets and also Rian and his girlfriend are going. I think Dennis might be too. Who else? smile
    Kazoo
  3. sorry, this one is not for me. Scorcese, Elfman and the WSA are good enough for me

But have fun smile
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2013
    Bregt wrote
    Bregt wrote

Yared will be there too and he will perform on piano.

I have tickets and also Rian and his girlfriend are going. I think Dennis might be too. Who else? smile

Yeap, I plan to go if I can still get tickets :o
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentAuthorDennis

thanks! got my ticket

Category 1 Standard
    Parterre B-5
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2013
    Just received the Program of the concert.
    Anyone remembers if this is the same as the one Mr Yared played during WSA 4-5 years back?

PROGRAMMA
    'Map of the Human Heart'
    Map of the Human Heart

'La Lune Dans le Caniveau'
    La Folie des Docks - Fugue Dans La Cathédrale - Valse de Loretta - Tango de l'impasse

'Camille Claudel'
    Camille- Camille et Rodin

'Possession'
    Possesso

'Bon Voyage'
    La Chanson de Bon Voyage

'Wings of Courage'
    Alley Tango

'37°2 le matin'
    C'est le vent Betty - Betty et Zorg

'La Romana'
    Nostalgia

'The Talented Mr. Ripley'
    Syncopes - Lullaby for Cain - Crazy Tom

'Ut Jucundas'
    Ut Jucundas

'Cold Mountain'
    Ada Plays - I Hardly Know Her

'L'Amant'
    Promenade en limousine

'The English Patient'
    Szerelem - Opening - Rupert Bear - Convento di Sant'Anna - I'll Always Go Back to That Church
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2013 edited
    Just got a mail from Gent filmfestival that there's a 25 % discount on tickets for the Yared concert if you enter the code "FILM". I'd be interested in going but I have a friend's bachelor party to attend on the 15th. smile
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    francis wrote
    Just got a mail from Gent filmfestival that there's a 25 % discount on tickets for the Yared concert if you enter the code "FILM". I'd be interested in going I have a friend's bachelor party to attend on the 15th. smile

What a pity I bought my ticket 1 week ago. I could save 5 euros (1-2 beers) smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2013 edited
    francis wrote
    Just got a mail from Gent filmfestival that there's a 25 % discount on tickets for the Yared concert if you enter the code "FILM". I'd be interested in going but I have a friend's bachelor party to attend on the 15th. smile

Sigh. I could've saved a round of beers!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The programme is about the same, but with full orchestra now.

Looking forward to it! punk
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Wow! That looks like a great night of music, more than a few of my favourite Yared pieces there cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2013 edited
    What a fantastic concert!

It was not a big concert hall, and therefore a much more intimate event. Yared played the piano, and in between each suite he had some anecdotes from the scoring. He is such a warm and loving personality.

While his concert from some years ago (the tribute to Minghella and Jarre) was small scale (mostly strings and a few other instruments), here it was a full orchestral palette. He brought three soloists as well; bandoneon (Mosalini), sax (Morison) and voice (Méchaly). Highlights for me was the suite from The Talented Mr Ripley (the lullaby and Syncopes are fantastic), and the several piano-led themes from the French movies of his earlier career (L'Amant, Betty Blue, Bon Voyage, Camille Claudel). There were also two tango pieces (from La Lune dans le Caniveau and Wings of Courage) so Elin had a great time too. wink Loved the performance of Cold Mountain as well. It ended with the music from The English Patient but while it's beautiful music I never liked it as much as the ones I previously mentioned.

The Brussels Philharmonic did a good job with Dirk Brossé, with the quality we come to expect from them.

With me were Marie-Lise, Elin, Maxime and his girlfriend and I also met Dennis who registered here some weeks ago. Another Greek!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2013
    I confirm it was a great concert! Intimate atmosphere, great performances and although I understood only 10% of what Mr Yared said in French, he was very friendly and he gave lots of background details about the scores the Brussels Philarmonic performed
    I also managed to get my L'avion CD signed!!
    It was cool to meet Bregt, Maxime, Elin and Marie-Lise. For sure we will meet again in Ghent!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Dennis wrote

Oooh, you did? How? cheesy
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sounds great, I love Yared's music and would love to have been there.
  4. sounds great. Glad you enjoyed yourself.
    As for me, I'll see the gang soon, during the WSA but probably even before it wink
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    Bregt wrote
    Dennis wrote

Oooh, you did? How? cheesy

20-30 min after you left, he came down in one of the pubs
    I decided to go in without knowing how he would react
    He was relaxed and friendly. He asked if I wanted him to write something on the CD but I said no.....then he said 'but my signature is boring' and he was right! Anyway, I am very happy!!!
    I had no plans to go to the concert as I didn't know the composer would be present and thanks to maintitles.com I had a wonderful evening punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014 edited
    Zimmer says about his rejected TROY:

Hans Zimmer
    On Gabriel's film they where making a Gladiator type film. He wanted to do ART. It's tough to hand a Picasso into a mal-mart...

Quite a good point i think; the movie was essentially summer pop-corn, the score was so grand and beautiful, definitely for a much better and higher movie than what Troy actually was and which ended up getting a standard, just serviceable score. Your ideas?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014
    I've never heard Yared's score, so difficult to comment -- but I can imagine his score being closer to a European tradition, while Horner served up more typical Hollywood fare, appropriate for the movie (I actually think Horner's score is fine).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014 edited
    It'd be very interesting to hear it first smile Why haven't you all these years? It's a truly brilliant stand-alone musical work. Symphonic and grand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014
    I wouldn't say Yared's is more European. More Golden Age Hollywood, if anything. I'm glad there are now three confirmed people who think the right decision was made there (me, James Horner and Hans Zimmer, not a group prone to agree on things I would have thought).
  5. Demetris wrote
    It'd be very interesting to hear it first smile Why haven't you all these years? It's a truly brilliant stand-alone musical work. Symphonic and grand.

Because I don't know where to get it.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. Demetris wrote
    Zimmer says about his rejected TROY:

Hans Zimmer
    On Gabriel's film they where making a Gladiator type film. He wanted to do ART. It's tough to hand a Picasso into a mal-mart...

Quite a good point i think; the movie was essentially summer pop-corn, the score was so grand and beautiful, definitely for a much better and higher movie than what Troy actually was and which ended up getting a standard, just serviceable score. Your ideas?

Once again, I find this comment, and the attitude it reveals, quite disturbing. Why not try and rise above what you're given? Why not try and improve, rather than simply match, the movie's quality? What's wrong with a little ambition?