• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014
    Looks very "Gabriel Yared". smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Can't wait to hear it, i've been on a Yared week and boy this man writes almost as gorgeously as Delerue did in the past.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Almost? I would say there's more of a subtly darker, melancholic tinge to Yared's music compared with Delerue.

Thankfully Yared is still with us writing music that sounds like Yared and not someone elses luke-warm RC leftovers.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014 edited

...and a new release from Quartet Records...

TOM AT THE FARM

The new film directed by Xavier Dolan (Laurence Anyways, I Killed My Mother) is a psychological thriller, based on a play written by Michel Marc Bouchard.

The story is about Tom, a young advertising copywriter, who travels to the country for a funeral. There, he's shocked to find out no one knows who he is or who he was to the deceased, whose brother soon sets the rules of a twisted game. In order to protect the family's name and grieving mother, Tom now has to play the peacekeeper in a household whose obscure past bodes even greater darkness for his "trip" to the farm.

The music has been composed by prestigious Oscar-winning composer Gabriel Yared (Betty Blue, The English Patient, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Message in a Bottle). Yared provides a score for the thriller that mixes lyrical and romantic passages with intense Herrmannesque touches.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014 edited
    Yeah, but I'm more excited about the film than the score, to be honest, since I loved Dolan's previous film LAURENCE ANYWAYS (that film became somewhat of a phenomenon in our staff, even though I didn't QUITE share my colleagues' enthusiasm...I had it on 10th place of the year while several of them had it on 1st).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Tim, didn't know about this (what an awful cover btw)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Dreadful. Quartet are releasing some great obscure scores though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, kudos to that! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    is that thing written on ass paper btw? smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...I almost spat tea all over my screen biggrin
  1. And there was a digital release (on the THERESE RAQUIN label) of Yared's score to In Secret back in February:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Original … =in+secret

I didn't find the clips very interesting.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank you guys, i didn't know about these scores! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    ...I almost spat tea all over my screen biggrin

biggrin But it actually is, isn't it? look closer smile
  2. Review of BELLE DU SEIGNEUR (from 2011, but only recently released on Caldera).
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  3. Brief review of ADAM RESURRECTED (2008) which has now been released by Caldera.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  4. My review of THE PROMISE, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2017/04/29/the- … iel-yared/

Jon
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2020
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2020

I was set to watch this just a few minutes ago on Netflix, but then some gardeners started making noise outside. I'm very curious about Loren's performance.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2020
    I hope you enjoyed the mediocre film wink

Broken Keys

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11105790/reference

'A pianist tries to escape his persecuted Middle-eastern town where modern ways of living and music have been banned by an extremist group. ''
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2020
    The film was indeed mediocre, but Loren's performance was excellent. It really carries the whole movie. Yared's score was nice, very typical of him.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2021 edited
    Enjoy a concert with Gabriel Yared's music with the Philharmonic Orchestra of France, conducted by Dirk Brossé. Yared himself performs on a few pieces (piano)
    https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/098519-01 … io-france/

Programme
    (including Troy!)
    37°2 le matin – suite "Betty Blue"
    La Lune dans le caniveau
    L’Amant
    Le Patient anglais, suite
    Le Talentueux Mr Ripley, suite
    Camille Claudel, suite
    Tatie Danielle
    Adagio For An Unreleased Film
    Les Ailes du courage
    Raven Girl – Tarentelle
    The Prophet, suite
    Troy, suite
    Kazoo
  5. I don't have too many scores by Gabriel Yared, but thought I'd share my favorites so far:

His music is typically a bit melancholy from my experience, but he still writes really beautiful music that I love!

1) Cold Mountain
    This one has been my favorite of his for awhile. I just love its simplicity and classical nature. The piano-theme is so sweet yet sad. The movie is beautiful, and one of my favorites also.

2) The Promise
    As you've previously seen about me, I love middle eastern instruments (hey there, duduk) so this one hits all the right notes for me. Sweeping, romantic and expressive.

3) Amelia
    This one is newer to me, but I was surprised how hopeful it sounds in comparison to what I know about his style (limited for sure). It has a little bit of that Americana sound that Randy Newman is so known for. And well the theme is just so good, light and almost playful.

Here's the rest of what's in my very short collection:

The Talented Mr. Ripley
    Message In A Bottle
    Autumn In New York
    The English Patient
    City of Angels

What are some others that you love, that you think I shouldn't miss? I'd love to know and expand my Gabriel Yared collection! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2021 edited
    Although Yared is very hit/miss to me, I'm with you on THE PROMISE. That's my favourite. Probably. People rave about his rejected TROY, but I far prefer Horner's replacement score. The largely electronic BETTY BLUE from 1986 was when I discovered him. I still kinda like that. Same with MAP OF THE HUMAN HEART. His collaboration with Underworld on BREAKING & ENTERING was interesting. While I really disliked the film JUDY (had to turn it off after about half an hour, in fact), the score is quite good. Just last year, he impressed me again with his haunting score for Sophia Loren's comeback movie on Netflix, THE LIFE AHEAD. Just a few off the top of my head.

I think it's interesting he's been chosen as the go-to composer for Canadian wunderkind Xavier Dolan now, even if his scores for his films haven't impressed me that much. Neither has Dolan himself, really, since LAURENCE ANYWAYS. But the Yared/Dolan collaboration was not something I had expected.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I am not really a big fan of Yared and there's not much that I return to very often. It tends to be bits and pieces of albums that I like so I rarely listen to an entire Yared album. There's some of his rejected score for TROY that I enjoy and some tracks in THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY I like.

My list sort of suggests that I do keep going back to him (usually because of some rave comments from people) to see if there's something that's going to be escpecially good but I haven't found it yet.

The Life Ahead
    Judy
    Paradise War: The Story of Bruno Manser
    Dilili a Paris
    The Happy Prince
    The Promise
    Chocolat
    Juste La Fin du Monde
    By The Sea
    Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet
    Une Promesse
    Tom a Ferme
    Les Saveurs du Palais
    Amelia
    Coco & Igor
    L'Avion
    Troy
    Lisa
    Not Afraid, Not Afraid
    Message in a Bottle
    The Talented Mr. Ripley
    Noir Comme Le Souvenir
    L'Amant
    Camille Claudel
    Les Saisons du Plaisir
    Une Nuit a L'Assemblee Nationale
    Agent Trouble
    Betty Blue
    La Lune Dans Le Caniveau
    Interdit aux Moins de 13 Ans

A Royal Affair (with Cyrille Aufort)
    The Lives of Others (with Stephane Moucha)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2021
    That's a pretty solid Yared collection right there, Alan. Bigger than mine, even though I've heard all of those.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    That's a pretty solid Yared collection right there, Alan. Bigger than mine, even though I've heard all of those.

Do you still have the signed CAMILLE CLAUDEL I sent you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

Ha, ha, what? I think you may be confusing me with someone else.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

Ha, ha, what? I think you may be confusing me with someone else.

Strange. I was quite sure that it was you. I wonder who it was?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    All I know is that I've never received a signed CAMILLE CLAUDEL. Would have been cool to own, though.
    I am extremely serious.