• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012 edited
    Sadly, the editors at montages.no have said that they won't allow me to play full tracks on my podcast (which you remember I talked about earlier....I already finished recording one episode), and then it's kinda pointless for me. Playing whole tracks was one of the main reasons for doing this in the first place.

Sooooo.....what I'm considering now is creating my own site -- much like Erik Woods' Cinematic Sound -- where I play the tracks in a streaming format. So it's more webcast than podcast.

I've already found the domain I want to buy. However, I can't design websites if my life depended on it, nor do I have the tools.

Is there anywhere I can go for simple website "templates" and then simply paste in the text I want? I've tried to google around, to no avail.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012
    Oh yeah, and another important question:

Is there anywhere online where I can get a played that streams the tracks for me (preventing downloads)?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What does your web hosting support? If it has the LAMP suite (Linux, Apache, MySql and PHP) you can use WordPress and have a bloglike website, that hosts your content. It's easy to find great themes and for a small amount of money you can buy a professional one (for instance what Jim did on filmscoreclicktrack). Can be set up in no time, however, you'll need to get used to it a little but as James, Erik, Tom and Alan can attest, it's easy!

You can use Grooveshark or Spotify? Every track can be embedded (not sure about Spotify). I'm sure there are plugins for WordPress as well.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Wordpress is definitely the way to go! You can find free themes pretty much any where. As for playing your audio. I use JW Player which allows both Flash and HTML5 streaming. HTML5 is important for anyone who wants to stream the show on their iPhone since Apple doesn't use Flash. What that means is that an listener using an Apple produce can by pass the Flash stream and listen via HTML5. I really have no idea what that means bit it works. LOL!

Just let me know if you need any assistance setting things up!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    OK, thanks.

I think the platform we use at montages.no is Wordpress, so I know a little something about maneuvering around in it (if it is indeed the same), but how does one get Wordpress to one's personal computer? Is it a program I download, much like Microsoft Frontpage (which I used once upon a time)? And then an internal file transfer client within the program (transferring the files to the domain)?

If it's not expensive, I would definitely buy a professional one. The logo and stuff needs to look pretty professional even if the rest of the site is very simple and blog-like. And I have NO IDEA about how to design!

The JWPlayer thing sounds great (John Williams Player!). Is that also a program you buy and download online? I see that there's one at http://www.longtailvideo.com/jw-player/pricing/, but it seems to be for video, not audio?! Also, would the free version suffice?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    WordPress is free, and is just a zip download, which you'll need to unzp and upload to your webhosting. Then go to the install page and follow the instructions and you'll be ready in no time! smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Like Bregt said check to see if your service provider supports or offers Wordpress.

You can then install Wordpress through your server provider.

You will then use Wordpress through Wordpress' dashboard hosted on your server to edit your page.

Again, you can find themes for free on-line. There are literally thousand upon thousands of professionally produced FREE themes. My theme for instance is FREE!

JWPlayer is used mostly for video but it is also configurable for audio as well. Really easy to set up and it's FREE!

As for logos... what is the name of your show? What do you want to see in the logo? Maybe I can help you out. I'm no pro but I've done a few.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry again for the stupid question, but is 'theme' the same as a 'template'? And are these (free) themes so easy that you basically just download it somehow and then just add your own text & content?

The name of the show will be Celluloid Tunes. And then maybe a tagline a la "The Norwegian Film Music Webcast" or something. Come to think of it, Jim Titus designed quite a bit for my CD-Rs back in the day. If he's not become too big now, with all his album artwork assignments, maybe he could do one for me?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Great idea, Thor! Jim would do a far better job than I would.

Yes, theme means template. And templates are also customizable. But basically you find the one that suits your needs, install it and begin posting content.

-Erik-
  1. I'd like to ask a few questions about setting up a website in order for me to have a web presence for my work (rather than for music-related things). I've had a look through the comments related to Thor's original needs and I have had one or two replies from Bregt that have been specifically related to my needs (thanks Bregt!)

Please, those who think they can offer some guidance, could you read carefully through my (perhaps haphazard) ramblings below and offer any advice? I would receive any help gratefully!

At the moment I have a specific work-related email account with a company called Medusa Red (their Absolute-Email package at http://www.medusared.com/). When I set this up I chose a specific domain name around which my email address was built. I've contacted them and they have said that it would be easy to change my package to include a hosting package. This seems good so that I can keep my current email address(es) without any loss of service whilst I transfer to a web-hosting package. (Q: would I be able to link this email address to any different package from another company, e.g., a WordPress-based web site?)

However, it seems that Medusa Red does not have any support for creating a web site (i.e., they only do the hosting rather than offering templates, etc for web site creation). This would mean that I would have to create my own website using a specific programme such as Dreamweaver (or a free equivalent) and learn how to use this from scratch.

This is why something like WordPress would seem ideal for me: it offers me the ability to set up my own website (with me perhaps paying a fee for access to better templates, etc). I would be willing to pay WordPress to have my own specific domain name rather than have "wordpress" incorporated into the web address. BUT, would I be able to use the domain name I chose for my email address at Medusa Red?

I've no experience at this: so little experience in fact that I don't even know if the questions I ask are obviously stupid and undoable!

My ideal scenario would be as follows: use WordPress as the basis of creating a web site using the domain name that I chose for my email address at Medusa Red, having the email address I currently have with Medusa Red link in with any WordPress-based web site I create.

Is any of this possible?

Alternately, if anyone would want to offer their web site generating expertise for a fee then PM me and we could discuss the options!!

Thanks in advance.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2013
    Yep. All of that is possible, if I read you correctly, with a localised installation of WordPress (which is quite simple).
    There ARE some prerequisites on the hosting package (mainly version numbers of the underlying "languages"), but that should be simple enough to sort out.

I'm kinda pressed for time now to really go into detail, but what you want seems eminently feasible.
    I'll try and get back to you this week.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Cheers Martijn for the encouraging words.

I've emailed Medusa Red (the people I have my current email account with) and cut-and-pasted a section from WordPress' site that's related to the requirements Medusa Red needs to have in order for WordPress to be an option:

"I'm interested in running the open-source WordPress blogging software and I was wondering if my (future) account supported the following:

- PHP 5.2.4 or greater
    - MySQL 5.0 or greater
    - The mod_rewrite Apache module"

This means nothing to me but I am hoping that they come back to me to say that using WordPress would not be a problem.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hey Alan

When I look at their website, I see that they all support what you need
    http://www.absolutehosting.co.uk/hostingcomparison.html (PHP, MySQL, ...)

After you created a database (should be easy!), you will need to download the WordPress files (in a zip), upload the contents of this zip file to your server and then go to the installation page. This should only take 10 minutes and then you'll have a clean WordPress installation.

Please feel free to ask help to do this. No problem!smile
    Kazoo
  3. Bregt wrote
    ...upload the contents of this zip file to your server and then go to the installation page...

See, you lost me there!

When you say "my server" what do you mean? Is this the server of my web hosting people?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You will get a little spot on the hard disk on their servers, which I called a bit lazy "your server". So, yup, that is the server of your web hosting company. smile
    Kazoo
  4. Bregt wrote
    You will get a little spot on the hard disk on their servers, which I called a bit lazy "your server". So, yup, that is the server of your web hosting company. smile

Cheers Bregt!

Your account is now in credit to the tune of 3 IPAs!! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2013
    I seem to have misunderstood the whole Wordpress thing.

I downloaded the files for the program now, but realized it wasn't any program at all. No .exe file. I had wanted to fiddle around with it and create a template for my website before I bought a domain.

But I FIRST need to get myself a domain, THEN I can use it? Is that how it works?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Yeah, you install that directly on a *server*, it's a web script.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2013 edited
    It's a set of files with PHP language. You don't install because it runs everytime you will load a page (like this website). You just need to upload the files to the webspace you have. The server your webspace is on should support PHP and you need a database to host the content.

A domain is necessary for an easy name, but you should be able to connect to your webspace through the IP address of your server and some stuff (124.67.90.120 for example). So yes, a domain name is handy. wink

There's an easy installation guide for WordPress on their site
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_ … te_Install
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2013 edited
    Ha, ha....you know you're a noobie when you can't even figure out what type of domain you're going to buy. This is what the domain provider listed as alternatives (in Norwegian...I'm translating directly the best I can):

Alternative 1: DNS and www-forwarding- free!
    Alternative 2: E-mail (includes DNS og www-forwarding) - 90,-/year
    Alternative 3: Webhotel (includes DNS, www-forwarding and e-mail) - from 15,-/month. It lists several other sub-alternatives here, and the only thing I understood about it was the storage room difference.
    Alternative 4: Your own name hosts - free!

WTF?!?! dizzy confused
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Ha, ha....you know you're a noobie when you can't even figure out what type of domain you're going to buy. This is what the domain provider listed as alternatives (in Norwegian...I'm translating directly the best I can):

Alternative 1: DNS and www-forwarding- free!
    Alternative 2: E-mail (includes DNS og www-forwarding) - 90,-/year
    Alternative 3: Webhotel (includes DNS, www-forwarding and e-mail) - from 15,-/month. It lists several other sub-alternatives here, and the only thing I understood about it was the storage room difference.
    Alternative 4: Your own name hosts - free!

WTF?!?! dizzy confused

How's your exam thesis going? biggrin
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2013
    He, he...yeah, I needed a break from that. But I'm more or less finished. Will be delivering tomorrow. That's why I want to focus on the webcast project in the coming weeks....but if I can't even understand what type of domain I should buy, I'm pretty much fucked from the get-go. slant
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2013
    So...I've bought a domain, I've transferred the WordPress folder to the domain, then transferred the files to the 'www' folder (as I didn't want an extra folder in the URL).

Then, when I type in the url in the browser, there's supposed to be a way to start the installation. However, nothing happens. Just the regular "Sorry, Google Chrome can't find....".

What the hell did I do wrong? I followed the steps of the manual.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Hmm, wouldn't it be htdocs rather than www?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hmm, wouldn't it be htdocs rather than www?!

No, the domain came with 'www' as the root folder.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2013 edited
    I just realized it may take a day or two before the domain registers properly. I'll wait a couple of days, and if the same error occurs, I'll post again. I'm so impatient now that I've finally taken 'the big step'. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Then if you want to set the installation up... just type the IP address of the server into the browser smile It will work just like a normal link, but with numbers instead of a domain name smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2016 edited
    A problem has occured, and I've not been able to find any answers by googling around.

Apparently, Firefox users can't play my Celluloid Tunes episodes at all (for whatever reason). You hear two seconds when you press play, and then it cuts off. And in Safari, you cannot jump inside the streaming file, only control the "play" button.

In Chrome and Explorer, it works fine.

I use JWPlayer 6 (which I know Erik also uses) in my Wordpress solution.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

If you have Firefox or Safari, you can try for yourself here: http://celluloidtunes.no
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2016
    I'll have a look, Thor.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2016
    Ok... I can play your show in Firefox without any issue. Safari how ever is having issues. I play the show (Best of 2015) and NaN nAn shows up as the duration of the show and I can't skip through the program.

Are you making sure that you update Wordpress and JW Player regularly?

-Erik-

PS - My show works just fine in all browsers.