• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013 edited
    Here's my Top 20 movie list of 2012:

http://montages.no/2013/01/thor-joachims-topp-20-2012/

Now let's hear yours!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Could've known PROMETHEUS would be number one! I don't necessarily agree with your list (I thought DARK SHADOWS was fun but way too flawed, had problems with AMOUR, I'd place LOOPER lower, and I thought SAVAGES was technically fine but way too shallow for a Stone film) but there are several I approve of! Too bad I can't read your descriptions, though I often can get a sense of what you talk about wink.

I presume your list is of release dates in Norway? Because I was surprised to see SHAME, WAR HORSE and MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE, all very high on my 2011 list!

This is mine, by the way.
    http://www.imdb.com/list/sM7YnvLupnY/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013
    Yes, we have to limit the selection to the films that were distributed in Norway in 2012. Which means that films like THE MASTER and DJANGO: UNCHAINED will be eligible for THIS year's list!

Thanks for your list, Bob. Will check it out asap.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    I just went through IMDB's list of 2012 movies, and I realised something: I haven't seen that many new films last year (it's become too damn expensive!)! But my Top-5 is:

1. The Hobbit
    2. The Dark Knight Rises
    3. Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol (I know that's technically a 2011 movie, but it was released here in Denmark in January)
    4. Chronicle
    5. The Avengers

EDIT: Might as well list the rest of the movies I've seen, so you know what I'm basing my top-5 list on:
    Prometheus, The Expendables 2, The Amazing Spider-man & Men in Black 3 smile
  1. I didn't really see many either, from the looks of things. But these were the best for me.

1. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy -- I didn't think this one would have to sustain me for a whole year, but thankfully, it is that good. Tomas Alfredson shot up my list of interesting filmmakers with this one.
    2. Moonrise Kingdom (in particular the first hour) -- a delight
    3. Mad Men Season 5 -- because it's a cinematic show, rich in characterisation and style. If they'd stapled it together and called it a film, it would be here, so it might as well be here.
    4. The Grey -- I expected something very different from this tone poem for dying men. And this year, being pleasantly surprised by a film was as good as being overwhelmed in other years.
    5. Martha Marcy May Marlene -- Haunting and elusive.
    6. The Hobbit -- Very entertaining. Flabby to say the least, but good natured enough that it didn't matter for me.

Special mention. The first ten minutes of Shame. A perfect short film depicting a life. The rest of the film is strong, save the last 6 minutes or so (which undo some good work), but it was that opening that made such an impression on me.

Also a special mention. Beasts of the Southern Wild -- I'm not sure it quite got to me the way it did for everyone else, but so lovely to see a fresh film movement emerging out of the wreckage of New Orleans. There's some magic here, for sure, and a passion for real faces that is refreshing.

Older movies provided some of the most memorable moviegoing experiences. Bernardo Bertolucci's Before the revolution was a dizzying eye opener. Spider's strategem also impressive. Film style was so free and open then. Tarkovsky's Stalker was as powerful as ever. Mark Cousins' documentary The Story of Film provided 15 hours worth of reflection on the best cinema had to offer, and remains the most worthwhile time I've invested this year in a film. The documentary on Clouzot's L'enfer was another eye opener, and the two most enjoyable older things I caught up with this year were Winterbottom's The Trip tv series (Coogan and Brydon), and Scott Pilgrim versus the World. (What a breath of fresh air that was.)

And the worst?

Cosmopolis (David Cronenberg), Damsels in Distress (Whit Stilman) and I'm inclined to add Careless Love as a distant third (John Duigan). And I'm not being harsh on what they were aiming for here -- this is pure execution. All gave the impression of being pretty ordinary filmmakers when stripped of the big budget apparatus that traditionally gilds their work.

Most of everything else was vanilla for me. Whether it be Christopher Nolan, Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Ben Affleck or the bizarrely praised Rian Johnston. It feels like I'm getting tougher on movies these days, but there's a part of me that whispers -- 'no, it's not just you'.

Of the vanilla though, I enjoyed The Amazing Spiderman, The Bourne Legacy, Mission Impossible 4 and -- on technical virtues alone (since the script was very weak) -- Skyfall. The latter is one of the better lensed films of the year.

I still haven't seen Faust, To the Wonder, The Master, Amour, or some of the Oscar bait (Lincoln, Life of Pi). I'm hoping there's gems to be found.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You have the weirdest taste, franz (well, 'weird' in the sense that it's quite different from my own).

That being said, we both liked THE HOBBIT, THE GREY and MARCY... quite a bit. But I didn't like TINKER TAILOR... or MOONRISE KINGDOM and I thought BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD is a tad bit overrated (although I had it on my 18th place).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I don't think I was quite up with BEASTS either, but I liked the way a realist aesthetic met the fantastical content. I can't hit the people on the head who made that film for next to no money at all -- it's too inventive, even if I'm not quite sympathetic to the storytelling. (And the lead performance is a gem too.) To me it's more remarkable than say, something as well-heeled and resourced as the first film on your list.

And when it comes to 'weird', I doff my hat to you. For I can think of noone who more thoughtfully embraces dumb films for what virtues they do have than your good self. And yes, that is some kind of compliment. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2013
    He, he....well, I pride myself in having an eclectic taste, as I think this most recent list is an example of. I can enjoy a 'dumb' Hollywood flick as much as I can a wild arthouse film. Different pleasures for different occasions.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. It's a world full of people, that's for sure. I wouldn't have bothered going into as much detail in anyone else's thread. smile

Based on my feelings though, you may want to check out COSMOPOLIS and DAMSELS IN DISTRESS. Chances are you'll like them! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I have greatly enjoyed reading this thread. Franz_conrad has provided enough material for a whole new episode of the "member's quotes" thread, with my favourite being "It's a world full of people, that's for sure."

It's also made me want to see The Grey. If Thor and Franz both say yes, that's a rare and powerful sign. (A correspondent at my website today suggested that Marc Streitenfeld deserves an Oscar for his work on the film.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Skyfall. It had a few mis-steps but it was about as good as a Bond fan could have hoped for. Even the score turned out to be a whole lot better than expected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Only two 2012 movies I saw: The Hobbit and Hunger Games. I like them both.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    It's a world full of people, that's for sure. I wouldn't have bothered going into as much detail in anyone else's thread. smile

Based on my feelings though, you may want to check out COSMOPOLIS and DAMSELS IN DISTRESS. Chances are you'll like them! wink

DAMSELS is already on my list; I'll be seeing it soon. I really enjoyed the other 'intelligent' high school film of the year, THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER. As for COSMOPOLIS, I've avoided it for a long time. I've heard it's VERY talkative and removed from Cronenberg's previous style (which I often can find fascinating). Still, I guess I have to find out for my own at some point.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2013 edited
    Best movies of 2012 so far

1. Prometheus
    2. Dredd
    3. The Impossible
    4. Savages
    5. Skyfall
    6. Sinister
    7. Men In Black III
    8. The Grey
    9. Amazing Spiderman
    10. End of Watch

Mind you I still need to see "lincoln", "cosmopolis", ...

Biggest disappointments of 2012

1. Dark Knight Rises
    2. Piranha 3DD
    3. The Avengers
    4. Total Recall
    5. The Dictator
    6. Cabin in the Woods
    7. Looper
    8. The Watch
    9. Taken 2
    10. Cloud Atlas
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013 edited
    This is what I came up with for a group of friends doing Oscar predictions. There are all in ranked order, so #1 is the winner, etc.

BEST PICTURE

1. LIFE OF PI
    2. CLOUD ATLAS
    3. DJANGO UNCHAINED
    4. LES MISERABLES
    5. ARGO
    6. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
    7. SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
    8. THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER
    9. FRIENDS WITH KIDS
    10. LINCOLN

BEST DIRECTOR

1. QUENTIN TARANTINO, Django Unchained
    2. ANG LEE, Life of Pi
    3. TOM TYKWER, ANDY WACHOWSKI and LANA WACHOWSKI, Cloud Atlas
    4. BEN AFFLECK, Argo
    5. TOM HOOPER, Les Miserables

BEST ACTOR (DRAMA)

1. DANIEL DAY LEWIS, Lincoln
    2. HUGH JACKMAN, Les Miserables
    3. JOAQUIN PHOENIX, The Master
    4. DENZEL WASHINGTON, Flight
    5. JAMIE FOXX, Django Unchained

BEST ACTRESS (DRAMA)

1. NAOMI WATTS, The Impossible
    2. JESSICA CHASTAIN, Zero Dark Thirty
    3. JENNIFER LAWRENCE, Silver Linings Playbook
    4. HELEN MIRREN, Hitchcock
    5. KEIRA KNIGHTLEY, Anna Karenina

BEST ACTOR (COMEDY)

1. ADAM SCOTT, Friends With Kids
    2. WILL FERRELL, Casa De Mi Padre
    3. EWAN McGREGOR, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
    4. JASON SEGAL, Jeff Who Lives At Home
    5. JACK BLACK, Bernie

BEST ACTRESS (COMEDY)

1. JENNIFER WESTFELDT, Friends With Kids
    2. EMILY BLUNT, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
    3. LESLIE MANN, This is 40
    4. EMILY BLUNT, The Five-Year Engagement
    5. JENNIFER ANISTON, Wanderlust

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

1. CHRISTOPH WALTZ, Django Unchained
    2. LEONARDO DI CAPRIO, Django Unchained
    3. PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN, The Master
    4. TOMMY LEE JONES, Lincoln
    5. EDDIE REDMAYNE, Les Miserables

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

1. ANNE HATHAWAY, Les Miserables
    2. AMY ADAMS, The Master
    3. KELLY REILLY, Flight
    4. SALLY FIELD, Lincoln
    5. OLIVIA COLMAN, Hyde Park on Hudson

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

1. DJANGO UNCHAINED, Quentin Tarantino
    2. FRIENDS WITH KIDS, Jennifer Westfeldt
    3. TED, Seth MacFarlane, Alec Sulkin and Wellesley Wild
    4. ROBOT & FRANK, Christopher D. Ford
    5. LOOPER, Rian Johnson

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

1. LIFE OF PI, David Magee
    2. CLOUD ATLAS, Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski and Lana Wachowski
    3. ARGO, Chris Terrio
    4. SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, David O. Russell
    5. THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER, Stephen Chbosky

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

1. LIFE OF PI, Claudio Miranda
    2. DJANGO UNCHAINED, Robert Richardson
    3. LES MISERABLES, Danny Cohen
    4. CLOUD ATLAS, John Toll and Frank Griebe
    5. SKYFALL, Roger Deakins

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

1. CLOUD ATLAS, Hugh Bateup and Uli Hanisch
    2. DJANGO UNCHAINED, J. Michael Riva
    3. LES MISERABLES, Eve Stewart
    4. PROMETHEUS, Arthur Max
    5. THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY, Dan Hannah

BEST EDITING

1. SKYFALL, Stuart Baird
    2. CLOUD ATLAS, Alexander Berner
    3. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, Lee Smith
    4. ARGO, William Goldenberg
    5. PROMETHEUS, Pietro Scalia

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

1. ANNA KARENINA, Jacqueline Durran
    2. SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN, Colleen Atwood
    3. LES MISERABLES, Paco Delgado
    4. CLOUD ATLAS, Kym Barrett and Pierre Yves-Gaurad
    5. DJANGO UNCHAINED, Sharen Davis

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

1. JOHN CARTER
    2. LIFE OF PI
    3. THE AVENGERS
    4. CLOUD ATLAS
    5. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

BEST SCORE

**to be revealed** wink

BEST SONG

1. “Casa De Mi Padre” from CASA DE MI PADRE, Andrew Feltenstein and John Nau
    2. “Niemandsland” from WIR WOLLTEN AUFS MEER, Nic Raine and Poppy Alice
    3. “Everybody Needs A Best Friend” from TED, Seth McFarlane, Norah Jones and Walter Murphy
    4. “Ancora Qui” from DJANGO UNCHAINED, Ennio Morricone and Elisa Toffoli
    5. “Skyfall” from SKYFALL, Adele Atkins and Paul Epworth

JON’S TEN MOST ENJOYABLE GUILTY PLEASURES (IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER)

1. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
    2. THE AVENGERS
    3. CASA DE MI PADRE
    4. THE FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT
    5. THE EXPENDABLES 2
    6. JACK REACHER
    7. JOHN CARTER
    8. SALMON FISHING IN THE YEMEN
    9. SKYFALL
    10. TED

This is based on having seen the following 73 films in theaters this year: 21 Jump Street; A Thousand Words; Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter; Act of Valor; Alex Cross; The Amazing Spider-Man; American Reunion; Anna Karenina; Argo; The Avengers; Bernie; The Bourne Legacy; Casa De Mi Padre; Chimpanzee; Chronicle; Cloud Atlas; The Dark Knight Rises; Dark Shadows; Django Unchained; The Expendables 2; The Five-Year Engagement; Flight; For Greater Glory; Friends with Kids; Haywire; Hitchcock; The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey; Hotel Transylvania; The Hunger Games; Hyde Park on Hudson; The Impossible; Jack Reacher; Jeff, Who Lives at Home; John Carter; Journey 2: The Mysterious Island; Killer Joe; Lawless; Les Miserables; Life of Pi; Lincoln; Lockout; Looper; Man on a Ledge; The Master; Men in Black 3; Moonrise Kingdom; The Oranges; The Perks of Being a Wallflower; The Pirates! Band of Misfits; Prometheus; The Raven; Robot & Frank; Rock of Ages; Safe House; Safety Not Guaranteed; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; Silver Linings Playbook; Sinister; Skyfall; Snow White and the Huntsman; Taken 2; Ted; This Is 40; This Means War; Total Recall; Trouble with the Curve; The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2; The Watch; W.E.; Wanderlust; The Woman in Black; and Zero Dark Thirty.

A note to say that I haven’t seen some of the major Oscar-bait films like Amour, Arbitrage, Beasts of the Southern Wild, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Compliance, The Paperboy, Promised Land, Rust & Bone, The Sessions, and Seven Psychopaths, or some of the bigger box-office stuff like Brave, Madagascar 3, The Lorax, Wreck-It Ralph, Ice Age Continental Drift, The Vow, Magic Mike, Think Like a Man, Rise of the Guardians or The Campaign, so none of those films feature in any of my nominations.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013
    Kudos to you Jon, damn but you've seen a lot at the cinema.

of those I've seen only a fraction and then mostly on rental.

All I'll say for now is that by far the most enjoyable film of the year for me was THE AVENGERS.

Most disappointing was THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Actually I forgot one of the few truly great films I saw this year. MARGIN CALL.

Dialogue line of the year: "Treat me as though you would a child, or a golden retriever."
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2013
    I've seen it, pretty good and mature movie for the world's current financial problems. I think it went under the radar. I just came back from the cinema, Life of Pi 3D was breathtaking. Danna's score one of the best of the year.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2014 edited
    Another year, another list of favourites. Here are mine:

http://montages.no/2014/01/thor-joachims-topp-20-2013/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Europa Report AND Pain and Gain are on your top ten list?????

dizzy Holy crackers! dizzy

And what the hell is THE HOBBIT: SMAUG WASTELAND???

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Nice to see LORE popping up. I thought that dealt quite well with the subject despite its Australian origin.
  6. Thanks for sharing, Thor. I have only seen a few on your list. I thought EUROPA REPORT was a little dull, and it suffered in comparison with GRAVITY, which I saw before it. I thought OBLIVION was just okay, too. I thought it would have miles miles better without the voice-over. Just trust your audience for once! If I hadn't seen the preview, and if it hadn't had the voice-over, I think that film could have been really good.

We wait for a lot of movies to come to DVD before seeing them, so there are a bunch of films that have come out in the fall that I haven't seen yet. Of the films I have seen, GRAVITY blows all the other competition out of the water. It is by far the best experience I've had in a theater lately. Maybe ever. I loved nearly everything about that film.

I also really enjoyed the much-derided STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS. I thought the story and pacing was great. The controversial moment at the end could have ruined it for me, but I thought they handled it okay (though the emotion they were trying to get out of that scene just wasn't going to happen with this cast).

I thought IRON MAN 3 was the best film in that franchise, and enjoyed it very much. I loved what they did with The Mandarin. I liked watching Stark try to deal with bad guys without his suits. I liked his character arc (something the second IRON MAN film completely lacked).

I thought 42: THE JACKIE ROBINSON STORY was an important film, despite Harrison Ford's distracting and sainted character. The guy who played Robinson was great, and Alan Tudyk's cameo (while completely revolting) made for a really gripping scene.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed WORLD WAR Z. The reshoot probably saved that film. Kudos the producers and studio for taking a chance on that.

Those are my top five for now.

And just for conversation's sake, the worst films I saw this year were:

TURBO, NOW YOU SEE ME, and PACIFIC RIM. I thoroughly disliked them all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Europa Report AND Pain and Gain are on your top ten list?????

dizzy Holy crackers! dizzy

And what the hell is THE HOBBIT: SMAUG WASTELAND???

-Erik-

He, he....yeah, the Norwegian version of the title isn't quite as dramatic as THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG.

Btw, I love how Google translates what we call 'the corner of shame' as 'chamber hook'! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2014
    Anyone else have any lists?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Sure, I'll give it a go. Here's my top 10 (which sadly enough is also every single new movie I've seen in 2013):

1. Gravity
    2. Star Trek Into Darkness
    3. Man of Steel
    4. Iron Man 3
    5. Elysium
    6. Kick-Ass 2
    7. Oblivion
    8. Escape Plan
    9. Pacific Rim
    10. G.I. Joe 2

Haven't seen "The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug" yet, but I'm sure it will be a top 3 contender smile

If you look at it from a musical point of view, then I've only bought the soundtracks to 3 of those movies: Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel (but I've been streaming most of the others).
  7. christopher wrote
    Thanks for sharing, Thor. I have only seen a few on your list. I thought EUROPA REPORT was a little dull, and it suffered in comparison with GRAVITY.

It suffers in comparison with 2010 ODYSSEY II.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2014
    My little list in no particular order ... wink

* Gravity
    * World War Z
    * Captain Phillips
    * Thor: The Dark World
    * Kick-Ass 2
    * You're Next
    * Star Trek Into Darkness
    * Mama
    * Gangster Squad
    * Evil Dead
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  8. Off the top of my head, my Year In Review. Don't kill me for these all being blockbusters (and I mean ALL).

MOVIES I LOVED

* Pacific Rim - sheer spectacle, sheer fun. Michael Bay, THIS IS HOW IT IS DONE.
    * Gravity - spectacle of a different sort, damnably well made and acted
    * The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - was quite taken aback by how good this was. I'd almost dare to say it's better than the book (which is an exceedingly rare thing for me to say)

MOVIES I LIKED

* Oblivion - gorgeous movie, prominently-mixed guilty-pleasure score, all style and no substance but SO much style...
    * Monsters University - hardly a glorious return to form for Pixar, but funnier than they've been in a while and even a little touching/nostalgic
    * Star Trek Into Darkness - I absolutely love this cast, pretty spectacular action if a bit generic-sci-fi at times...and the less said about the "connections," the better
    * Iron Man 3 - I could watch Downey be Stark all day long
    * Thor: The Dark World - slightly forgettable, but fun
    * Now You See Me - yeah, it's stupid, but I still found myself enjoying the slickness of it all for some reason, and a great cast
    * Ender's Game - pleasantly surprised by this, I had written it off, but it's not that bad an adaptation at all, a little dumbed down for sure (esp. the score rolleyes ) but only a little
    * The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - I so dearly wish I could put this in the top column, but as much as I love this world (or perhaps because), there's just too many flaws. I try my best to overlook them, I really do...and it's still a hugely fun movie in a guilty-pleasure kind of way...but...
    * The Lone Ranger - I'm a Pirates fan through and through (except the fourth), so I did enjoy this, even though it was overlong. Good chemistry between Hammer and Depp. Shame the critics ganged up on it so.
    * Jack the Giant Slayer - yeah, a little silly, but it had a Princess Bride vibe at times that I enjoyed
    * Frozen - Not quite as magical as Tangled, but not far off, some great songs (and one not-so-great) and beautiful, beautiful animation. Disney's on a roll! Four really good movies in a row.

MOVIES I...EH

* Elysium - too much shaky-cam, irritating score, a rather unpleasant-looking-and-feeling movie but with a few redeeming aspects (Sharlto Copley!!!) and some okay sci-fi concepts
    * Oz the Great and Powerful - very pretty in parts, but obnoxious overuse of obvious 3D gimmicks and some rather off acting (incl. Franco, who felt like a low-rent Johnny Depp)
    * Olympus Has Fallen - a serviceable Die Hard in the White House actioner, but pretty forgettable
    * Despicable Me 2 - good slapstick, but where's the story? And I must be the only person in the world who doesn't completely adore the minions...
    * Fast and Furious 6 - I quite enjoyed the fifth, but this just felt dull and dumb. The runway during the final action scene must be like fifty miles long!
    * Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters - The Disney Channel Presents: Greek Mythology. Worst Nathan Fillion in-joke ever. Underrated score though...

MOVIES I IGNORED BECAUSE I KNEW I WOULDN'T ENJOY THEM

* Man of Steel
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2014
    Blockbusters are fine. Plenty on my list too. I need a little bit of both, as it were. Curious to hear franz' list this year, though. We both seem to enjoy films that aren't always the biggest American productions.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I usually do end up seeing a handful of the year's more acclaimed smaller pictures, but not until a while after the fact. I tend to limit my big screen expenditure to films that really justify it with spectacular cinematography/imagery/effects.