• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Currently there are at least three members active on this board that are teachers by occupation. School is different in every country and comparisons can be interesting and even helpful for those active in educating our young.

Also this thread invites students and parents to discuss whatever school related topics they choose. Support with homework will be charged though! biggrin
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2013
    I would be interested to know how life view education and/or religion and/or ethics are present in the school you teach at. And in Germany in general.

I remember years ago I wrote a post explaining how this is much different in The Netherlands and I'll see if I can find it, because it's complicated and even more in English. I also remember I had to read some articles about the German school system for my studies.

Speaking of Germany. I taught humanistic life view education in primary schools years ago and what I remember is that some colleagues went to Germany because Lebenskunde was very good in Germany (they went to Berlin). Also Lebenskunde was much better organised there than humanistic life view in The Netherlands. Now it is more professional and better organised here too.

Do you have any experience with Lebenskunde?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    A whole different take on the subject of teaching: I still sometimes have nightmares about my job!! Kids getting out of control, things like that.
    biggrin

It's weird, because my beginner's years are behind me and I haven't had a out-of-control situation for over a year. So why the sweaty dreams sometimes? I notice it mostly happens during vacation, when I haven't been working for a couple of weeks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I wouldn't be able to add much on the primary school experience, as I've never taught there and probably never will. So I only have my own experience as a pupil to go on, and it's almost 20 years since I graduated from upper secondary school.

But when I had my first praxis period in college/high scool/gymnas level (ages 16-18) last year, I discovered that things had changed considerably since I was a pupil in the mid 90's. Far more active students, less respect for the teacher, more technologically interactive and so on. Challenging, especially for someone who was used to lecturing on university level (with students actually wanting to learn and listening intently).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Oh, dear first cause! This is going to be complicated.

First: In Germany everything school rests with the authority of the States (Länder), not the Federation (Bund). That means that there are 16 slightly different school systems in Germany. The subject “Philosophy” is heavily affected by this situation.

“Lebenskunde” is a speciality of the States of Berlin and Brandenburg. Most state constitutions guarantee Religious Education in public schools, supervised by the Christian Churches and the State. Every student that is registered with a Christian Church has to attend RE. However, parents may choose to de-register their kids from that subject. What happens then is quite different from State to State. In some States students may simply have free time and that’s a prime reason to get rid of RE, isn’t it? In other States they will attend “Ethics”, but there are no qualified teachers and everything is improvised and differs from school to school. In jet other States, there is a regular subject that those students have to attend and so do Muslims and students without denomination.

The only States that do not offer RE are Berlin and Brandenburg, where “Lebenskunde “ is obligatory for every student. It’s a mixture of Comparative Study of Religion and Philosophy and frankly I don’t like that concept at all. It’s neither fish nor meat.

However, I live in the State of North-Rhine-Westphalia – not that far away from you – and here matters are like this: There are two subjects: “Praktische Philosophie” that is taught in the secondary level (5-9) and “Philosophie” in the college level (10-12). There is no such subject on the primary level. The State strives to establish RE for Muslim students. “Praktische Philosophie” is taught mainly at grammar schools (Gymnasium). Other types of schools continue to improvise. The reason for that is that only college students who want to teach at grammar schools are allowed to study philosophy. Other students might do an advanced training later on, when they are teachers, but nobody does.

“Praktische Philosophie” and especially “Philosophie” very closely reflect philosophy as it is taught at universities. I like that. It’s providing the subject with a clear academic structure and it’s not a jumble of everything.

Matters are roughly the same in the States of Schleswig-Holstein, Mecklenburg, Lower Saxony, Hessia and Rhine-Land-Palatinate.
  3. Bregje wrote
    A whole different take on the subject of teaching: I still sometimes have nightmares about my job!! Kids getting out of control, things like that.
    biggrin

It's weird, because my beginner's years are behind me and I haven't had a out-of-control situation for over a year. So why the sweaty dreams sometimes? I notice it mostly happens during vacation, when I haven't been working for a couple of weeks.

Are you afraid of such situations?
    Rest assured, we all experiance them from time to time, whatever fancy stories colleagues may tell you.
    If it happens:
    Try to stay calm. Two stuents are yelling at each other? Let them. I use to make my entry in the class-book untill they get tired. THEN I will have a word with them they are not likely to forget so soon.
    If they just won't stop, step between them fixate one of them with your most rigorous glance. That will calm him.
    Don't shout! It makes you appear hysterical even if you are not.
    You enter the room and everything is in chaos? Sit down at your desk. Make shure, nobody gets hurt. Then make clear that the whole class will have to make up for the lost time in detention. Execute that one or two times ... problem solved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Captain Future wrote
    Are you afraid of such situations?

Not anymore. For a year now I've been confident that it won't happen. And the funny thing is, it works both ways: the confidence is one of the reasons it doesn't happen. Children feel that you're confident.

Don't shout! It makes you appear hysterical even if you are not.

I had a talk with my groups and an inquery. They had to write down what went well and what not, about me teaching. I know what my flaws are, but funny, they do to of course. Some of them said I shout and most of the time a bit too suddenly. So yes, my anger outbursts are not helpful really.

Last year when I still had a coach in school he said 'Act angry when necessary, but don't be angry, it will damage your health. You have to appear that way but not really feel it.' That is a good one. Teaching is a lot of acting. I often act happy or enthusiastic when I'm not, simply because I can't feel enthusiastic for hours in a row. Or I put up a bit of a show, kids love that. Things like that.

It's a bit of a "Smile, you're on stage" thing. While being authentic at the same time obviously!
    cheesy

Thanks for your reply to the RE subject!! I'll reply to that later on.
  4. Just found out that one of my former students committed suicide. He was in my class in both my subjects four years ago. I saw him occasionally in the city. SHIT!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2013
    That's horrible sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013
    Hi Volker,

Next year after summer my teaching practice will be teaching philosophy in grammar school (16-18 year olds)!!
    And also teaching life view to 12-13 year olds as I do now as well.
    Perhaps we can have nice discussions or I may ask you for advice.

smile
  5. Hi Bregje,

where have you been hiding? I hope all is well?

Looking forward to our discussions of course. And since there are other fellows with teaching experiance or / and interest in philosophy around on this board, it might not only be the two of us.

Anyway, this week my students had their final oral a-level examinations (Abitur). They passed with fairly well to very well grades. I feel more relieved than I thought.

Yearning for the 6-week-summer-break now!

Cheers!
    Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013
    I wasn't hiding smile. Just busy.
    And not very much involved with (new) film music. When you're only listening to Iron Man 3 and Star Trek, there's not much to add to any discussion.

Great your students passed. It feels good to end the year that way. I have one more week of meetings, see if all pupils make it to their next year. And then June 28 holiday starts for work, but not yet for studies. I will have one more week to finish this module so July 5th my summer break will start.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013
    So, question for all teachers, students and parents and everyone who lives their years from september to july:

Each year at the end when its almost summer vacation, I get very sentimental and emotional. Its because its a time of saying goodbye but its probably also simply exhaustion. Each year music is strongly connected to this time of year and I remember very well that last year it was The Amazing Spiderman and I listened to Promises a million time in the last week of school. Also there was some belly dance track I can't remember, but I will find it again if I search through my mail.

This year I've been listening a lot to Iron Man 3 and the end titles of Star Trek. So that music is linked to this time a bit but I truly had an emotional breakdown/breakthrough when I listened to Mark Fowler on YouTube and quite coincidentally it was his Game of Thrones performance that did it. I also love the rest of the film music he plays and I just listened to his Devinire by Einaudi which was lovely too, but yeah. My 2013 summer break feeling award goes to Mark Fowler.

Anyone else who has emotional connection to music at the end of the year and what is it?
  6. Bregje wrote
    So, question for all teachers, students and parents and everyone who lives their years from september to july:

Each year at the end when its almost summer vacation, I get very sentimental and emotional. Its because its a time of saying goodbye but its probably also simply exhaustion. Each year music is strongly connected to this time of year and I remember very well that last year it was The Amazing Spiderman and I listened to Promises a million time in the last week of school. Also there was some belly dance track I can't remember, but I will find it again if I search through my mail.

This year I've been listening a lot to Iron Man 3 and the end titles of Star Trek. So that music is linked to this time a bit but I truly had an emotional breakdown/breakthrough when I listened to Mark Fowler on YouTube and quite coincidentally it was his Game of Thrones performance that did it. I also love the rest of the film music he plays and I just listened to his Devinire by Einaudi which was lovely too, but yeah. My 2013 summer break feeling award goes to Mark Fowler.

Anyone else who has emotional connection to music at the end of the year and what is it?

It is saying goodbye to leaving students, some leaving colleagues as well and exhaustion! What makes it all the more difficult this year for me is that our trainee teachers who took their exams didn't find a job. Due to dropping numbers of students very few teachers are hired, and so things look bleak for them.

When it really gets to me there is one scoe I will turn for sure: Dead Poets Society by Maurice Jarre. The whole released score, not just the famous final track. As cheesy as it may sound, that film is one reason among many why I have become a teacher.

Another piece I turn to is Beethoven's 9th. (Oh, that's in Poets, too.)

And The Wall, definitely Pink Floyd's The Wall. Also School by Supertramp.

I can't think of any other film score right now.

Sometimes I do some reading: "The Flying Classroom" (Erich Kästner), or "Goodbye Mr Chips" (James Hilton).

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It will be interesting to see if I experience this once I get a teaching job. I've heard stories like yours many times.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Yes, it is a different rythm of life, a different year cycle. With ups and downs and busy and quiet moment. And a grande finale before summer break.

I found my 2012 summer track back! So this was my emotional break music:

1. Belly Dance Music
    2. The Amazing Spiderman - Promises

And now 2013 summer break heart break:
    1. Mark Fowler's Game of Thrones
    2. Star Trek - To Boldly Go
    3. Iron Man 3
    4. Man of Steel