• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2013 edited
    NP : SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Fabulous score perfectly captures the heroic and doomed expedition by Captain Scott to become the first man to reach the South Pole. The music perfectly conjors the bleak and epic scale landscapes, a score to wrap up warm for.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Jerry Goldsmith - Hoosiers

Brilliant, brilliant score. The Intrada CD was in the mail today.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Timmer wrote

Fabulous score perfectly captures the heroic and doomed expedition by Captain Scott to become the first man to reach the South Pole. The music perfectly conjors the bleak and epic scale landscapes, a score to wrap up warm for.

Now Playing is dead! Long Live Now Playing!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2013
    Timmer wrote

Here's a small clip from the film with music....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b6BOl1jGBM

I'm sure you'll agree it's epic music set to epic scenery.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Do you listen to the Chandos recording conducted by Rumon Gamba? I ponder buying the 3 CD set.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nostromo - Ennio Morricone

Currently writing a review of this, the greatest television score of all time, and the one that features my single favourite piece of film music ("The Silver of the Mine").
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Currently writing a review of this, the greatest television score of all time, and the one that features my single favourite piece of film music ("The Silver of the Mine").

I have a CDR of this and feel like an idiot for not picking it up when I saw it.....cheaply in Virgin, Bristol no less rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

I have a CDR of this and feel like an idiot for not picking it up when I saw it.....cheaply in Virgin, Bristol no less rolleyes

Yes, it was dead cheap when I bought it - quite possibly from Virgin in Bristol! Ah, record shops - remember them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote

I only discovered this recently but its my most played track of the last few months.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Do you listen to the Chandos recording conducted by Rumon Gamba? I ponder buying the 3 CD set.

Yes! Well worth it!! A 'must have' IMO.

I also recommend ( as I have done many many times sleep ) picking up the symphony based on the film score, Symphony # 7 'Antartica'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote

Oh my. Classic Morricone.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Amazing, beautiful.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Yes, it was dead cheap when I bought it - quite possibly from Virgin in Bristol! Ah, record shops - remember them?

It has been years since I had a record shop-browsing experience like I used to have. HMV in Glasgow was my place to go years ago for rack upon rack of score CDs (and LPs before that).

And you could find some great titles - including hard-to-find imports.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I Guardiani del Cielo - Ennio Morricone

Another one. Mesmerising, magnificent.
  5. Since I can't reply in the original topic and not really know how to quote from a closed one...

Eidelman's career fall was some of his own fault, from what I heard during last Kraków film music festival. He got the Star Trek project and reportedly got so full of himself that he actually asked only to be given projects directed by guys like Steven Spielberg and nothing else (his press agent said that).

Not sure what happened to Shearmur. I guess, that guy is actually *too good* for comfort...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. NP - WRECK-IT RALPH - Henry Jackman

First listen. "Wreck-It Ralph" (the first track on the album by Jackman) is fantastic! It's super fun, incorporates some great orchestral music with some great synth stuff reminiscent of old school video games. I really liked that. We'll see if the rest of the score lives up to that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2013
    Jackman is such a great new composer...eager for his future works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2013 edited
    NP: "Spaghetti Western Themes On Nylon String Guitar" - Various

I am not usually one for "re-recordings" of soundtracks but sometimes the newer versions are so different from the originals that I am drawn to them.

It's the case with this first volume of a 2-volume set of themes from these westerns played by Lou Pecci.

Links to both volumes are below:

Vol 1: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spaghetti-Weste … p;sr=301-2

Vol 2: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spaghetti-Weste … p;sr=301-1

This first volume features pieces from the likes of the "Dollars Trilogy", Navajo Joe, Death Rides A Horse, The 5-Man Army, Sabata and A Bullet For The General.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Demetris wrote
    Jackman is such a great new composer...eager for his future works.

I liked the bookend tracks of WRECK-IT RALPH, but there wasn't much in the middle that moved me. I've enjoyed previous works from Jackman more, but I share your optimism about him.
  8. Anyone heard the score to RUBY SPARKS? I think it's by Nick Urata. I just finished listening to that for the first time and was pretty impressed. I liked the style of it quite a bit.

NP - FRANKENWEENIE - Elfman

Another first listen (I'm trying to catch up on 2012 scores)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    Anyone heard the score to RUBY SPARKS? I think it's by Nick Urata. I just finished listening to that for the first time and was pretty impressed. I liked the style of it quite a bit.

NP - FRANKENWEENIE - Elfman

Another first listen (I'm trying to catch up on 2012 scores)

Yes, have you seen the movie ruby sparks too? It's pretty unique and interesting In an odd way. The score works wonderfully in it and it went pretty much under the radar all this time.
  9. Haven't seen the film, but I'm familiar with the story, and this music seems really perfect for it.
  10. NP - Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Just finishing up my first listen. Lockington does action/adventure quite well. "Mysterious Island Main Titles" is great! And who knew Dwayne Johnson could sing? He's pretty good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    NP - Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Just finishing up my first listen. Lockington does action/adventure quite well. "Mysterious Island Main Titles" is great! And who knew Dwayne Johnson could sing? He's pretty good.

Anyone taking that song on is on to a hiding considering Louis Armstrong's classic and unbeatable version but yes, Dwayne does quite a pleasing version.
  11. christopher wrote

I like this score very much, considering we hear so much crud these days in today's blockbusters. At least this is exciting and fully orchestral

and yeah, I saw the film first and was pleasantly surprised by Dwayne's singing smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    christopher wrote

I like this score very much, considering we hear so much crud these days in today's blockbusters. At least this is exciting and fully orchestral

and yeah, I saw the film first and was pleasantly surprised by Dwayne's singing smile

Be sure to listen to Greg Edmonson's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune which is a mindblowing score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

One of, yes! I'd pick Masada over this personally, but Nostromo is a superb score - better than the praise I could ever give it. I'm not surprised The Silver of the Mine is your favourite piece of film music! (Though to pick one cue as a favourite is impressive. Don't think I could do it.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

One of, yes! I'd pick Masada over this personally, but Nostromo is a superb score - better than the praise I could ever give it. I'm not surprised The Silver of the Mine is your favourite piece of film music! (Though to pick one cue as a favourite is impressive. Don't think I could do it.)

What nonsense from both of you, it was stated as fact here some moons ago that LOST is the greatest TV score of all time.
  12. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

What nonsense from both of you, it was stated as fact here some moons ago that LOST is the greatest TV score of all time.

Must have been an Erik-Fact. smile

But really: The best TV score of all time is "The Mists of Avalon" by Lee Holdridge
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Must have been an Erik-Fact. smile

But really: The best TV score of all time is "The Mists of Avalon" by Lee Holdridge

Yeap! That's a great one too.

I don't have an all time favourite TV score but I do have plenty of contenders and that includes ( except LOST* ) those already mentioned but there are also many more, too many to mention.

*though it is great scoring and a lot of effort has gone into it it's not something I listen to much, it probably doesn't help that I didn't like the show.