• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2013 edited
    The Ghost Writer
    Alexandre Desplat
    Easily one of the most listenable score albums for me. The climatic 'Truth About Ruth' gives me chills every listen. Desplat is a master.

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
    Maurice Jarre
    I purchased the 2010 complete release of this score this past week. Each listen to Jarre's work in this carefully and intelligently crafted score brings to light new discoveries in his mastery of story-telling, paying homage to the sound of the world Brian May created, and adding incredible dimensions to the developing characters.
    Note: The 'Big Chase!' track may turn you into Mad Max if you are on the highway.
  1. Southall wrote
    GI Joe: Retaliation - Henry Jackman

Truly execrable.

When you're listening to a score like this and it makes you realize how comparatively not-bad Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer was, it doesn't say good things.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2013
    omaha wrote
    The Ghost Writer
    Alexandre Desplat
    Easily one of the most listenable score albums for me. The climatic 'Truth About Ruth' gives me chills every listen. Desplat is a master.

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
    Maurice Jarre
    I purchased the 2010 complete release of this score this past week. Each listen to Jarre's work in this carefully and intelligently crafted score brings to light new discoveries in his mastery of story-telling, paying homage to the sound of the world Brian May created, and adding incredible dimensions to the developing characters.
    Note: The 'Big Chase!' track may turn you into Mad Max if you are on the highway.

Thunderdome is in my top 50 all time favourite scores, I love it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2013
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote
    GI Joe: Retaliation - Henry Jackman

Truly execrable.

When you're listening to a score like this and it makes you realize how comparatively not-bad Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer was, it doesn't say good things.

Don't understand the negativity. The action music is really entertaining and IMO more listenable than the Silvestri score.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Scribe wrote
    Don't understand the negativity. The action music is really entertaining and IMO more listenable than the Silvestri score.

Honestly, I don't find it quite as horrendous as Erik and James have made it out to be...but it's still really generic and at times (the last two cues, for instance) quite awful. Jackman so far hasn't proven to be a very interesting composer for modern action movies (the themes from X-Men: First Class aside), and it's remarkable how much more creative and enjoyable his children's scores are in comparison.

As for Silvestri's score, that one was generic too, but if you just listen to the last 20 minutes or so it easily defeats anything Jackman wrote for the sequel.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2013
    I made it through four cues of Jackman's score before calling it quits. At least with the Silvestri, there's some fun action cues near the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Silvestri's score is mediocre, that's for sure. Jackman's is considerably worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I agree that Jackman's score as a whole is completely underwhelming and has little thematic material to grab ahold of. But I found myself really enthralled by a few of the action cues, moreso than anything in the Silvestri score.

Either way, on the whole its kind of sad that neither composer was asked to write a proper thrilling theme for a franchise that, on the surface, should be all about that kind of thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Silvestri's score is mediocre, that's for sure. Jackman's is considerably worse.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

yeah

Are the films worth a watch?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

yeah

I've never seen the sequel so I can't speak for that but the first film is a massive guilty pleasure. It's basically a non-stop action CGI fest, which is great because in the few moments that it slows down, it's pretty laughable. It doesn't bother with character development at all, at least not development that matters. Take it for what it is and you can have fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

yeah

Haven't seen the sequel but the first film was horrendous!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sounds like something I'd really enjoy if I'm drunk enough. wink No surprise that I'll not make any effort to watch sober.
  3. Timmer wrote

I thought the first one was pretty dull, but the second one is a massive guilty pleasure if you like really dumb over-the-top action movies with roughly two-thirds of the script consisting of one-liners. It's worth going to see for Jonathan Pryce's villain alone. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Corri Uomo Corri - Bruno Nicolai

Magnificent! One of my favourite spaghetti western scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nothing with the Rock In it is worth watching. The score to the 2nd isn't as bad as some of my colleagues believe here smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Demetris wrote
    Nothing with the Rock In it is worth watching. The score to the 2nd isn't as bad as some of my colleagues believe here smile

You're kidding, right? The Rock makes even the crappiest of movies at least a little bit watchable. Agree with your second point, though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

You're kidding, right? The Rock makes even the crappiest of movies at least a little bit watchable. Agree with your second point, though.

yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's the Rock's grandfather in action...

FIGHT!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Robin Hood/Korngold one of the best scores of all time

What recording are you listening to? I have in my collection the Marco Polo (Stromberg) one and the Varese (Koijan). I love both.

Get the Gerhardt suite as well!

-Erik-

I have in my possession the ENTIRE Gerhardt series plus his Star Wars recordings plus the recordings he did for Reader's Digest (The Prince and the Pauper, Varese).
    I would raise his stature in pure gold!
    Here's to Charles "King of Conductors" Gerhardt!

Volker

At that particular time I was listening to the Marco Polo release. When you want to listen to a compilation of Korngold there is nothing better than Gerhardt. Korngold was one of the reasons we called it the Golden Age of film music.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Listening to the soundtrack from the BBC production "Africa." There are some interesting parts as well as some landscape generic material.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  5. Just playing: Lonesome Dove - Basil Poledouirs.
    Now whoever does not feel uplifted by that score should see the doctor over the possibility of manic depression. wink

NP: The Adventures of David Balfoure - Vladimir Cosma
    A mini series of 1978, co-produced manily by German and French television. Cosma crafted a score of stunning beauty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEZ72CxTreg

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2013
    The theme by Vladimir Cosma is one of my favourites, stunningly beautiful.
  6. Timmer wrote

yeah
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. NP: Planet Ocean - Armand Amar

First listen. A generous offering from the Long Distance label (release runs to almost 90 minutes). It's orchestral and sounds as though it's going to maintain the high level of quality that you usually associate with Amar's documentary scoring.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Timmer wrote

Maybe you like the theme from La rose de Dublin, too then. It's the other score on that Cosma-CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOae5rx3xKo
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

yeah

yeah
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Maybe you like the theme from La rose de Dublin, too then. It's the other score on that Cosma-CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOae5rx3xKo

Yeah, that is lovely! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Defiance - Bear McCreary

Its really loud and relentless and RC-ish. Not sure that anyone here will enjoy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Defiance - Bear McCreary

Its really loud and relentless and RC-ish. Not sure that anyone here will enjoy it.

Is it just the music from the video game, or is it from the tv show as well?