• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2013
    NP : ZULU - John Barry

One of the most awesome 15 minute scores ever!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2013 edited
    NP: GI Joe Retaliation - Henry Jackman

"Bad Dojo" is a really fun action track.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Kill it! Kill it with fire!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. LSH wrote
    NP: WYATT EARP - James Newton Howard

One of his best, undoubtedly. I'm looking forward to the expanded release, although I can't remember the film enough to know what's missing from the original CD. Still...

cool

I'll pass on the expanded release. I like the score but it does not flash me enough to go for the expansion.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Steven wrote
    Independence Day David Arnold

This is probably my favourite score. I say probably because I don't know, I have no free will. But it is good.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2013 edited
    Oblivion

I know it's nothing we haven't heard before, but I really like it, and it's exactly the sort of mindless fun I need given the dark place I'm in at the moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ There's a solid 40 minute album in that mess.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Exactly, the original release is great, the extended is a huge bore, can't be enjoyed at all. Another example on why i don't want to have the complete set of music recorded for a film....it's a huge bore for most scores, diminishes the listening experience and overall impact it leaves on you at the end - greatly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2013
    The Lost World - John Williams

Not really in the same league as Jurassic Park - an all-time favourite - though funnily enough I'd probably favour the darker LW main theme over the original. And of course 'The Hunt' is an absolutely classic cue, have often put it on constant repeat. Some of the tribal percussion in the other action cues gets a bit repetitive however.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    David OC wrote
    The Lost World - John Williams

Not really in the same league as Jurassic Park - an all-time favourite - though funnily enough I'd probably favour the darker LW main theme over the original. And of course 'The Hunt' is an absolutely classic cue, have often put it on constant repeat. Some of the tribal percussion in the other action cues gets a bit repetitive however.

I love Williams' homage and nod to Mauirce Jarre/Lawrence of Arabia with many elements of the score.
  2. Today in the mail:

Django - Luis Bacalov 1966, expanded edition (GDM)
    Fire and Ice - Harold Faltermayer; Hermann Weindorf 1986 (CBS)
    The Time Machine - Russell Garcia 1960 (FSM)

Great music throughout!

Volker
  3. Ennio Morricone - Once Upon a Time in America

Haven't listened to this masterpiece for WAY too long. I have a good occasion today, because the score in its expanded Rykodisc release has joined my collection today smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I miss having a new Lost album to look forward to every year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2013 edited
    NP: Oblivion - some guys

Another score that sounds exactly like what everyone else said it sounded like, leaving nothing to surprise me. I hope the summer's major scores have something fresh and new, at least to the extent of Amazing Spider-Man and TDKR. Also really hoping that Giacchino's new recording engineer makes his orchestra sound powerful enough that his action music can approach the heights of the MoH series rather than the small-screen feel that nearly every one of his scores have wallowed in since Lost.

</whining>
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I wish Giacchino could score like he did for his SWON and his MOH work and they would create films to match his masterful concert-style pieces. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Nothing with the Rock In it is worth watching. The score to the 2nd isn't as bad as some of my colleagues believe here smile

You're kidding, right? The Rock makes even the crappiest of movies at least a little bit watchable. Agree with your second point, though.

Yeah, when you see this douche, the first thing that comes into your mind is 'great actor' wink beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Nothing with the Rock In it is worth watching. The score to the 2nd isn't as bad as some of my colleagues believe here smile

You're kidding, right? The Rock makes even the crappiest of movies at least a little bit watchable. Agree with your second point, though.

Yeah, when you see this douche, the first thing that comes into your mind is 'great actor' wink beer

Actually I was thinking how much I wouldn't want to have a fight with him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Demetris wrote

I never said "great actor", I just said "fun to watch". Like Schwarzenegger. wink
  5. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

Actually I was thinking how much I wouldn't want to have a fight with him.

http://www.blogto.com/upload/2007/10/20 … ncers3.jpg

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Iron Man 3 - Brian Tyler

First listen... great new theme!

-Erik-

I disagree completely with the "great" assignment. I like the fact that he took the theme and ran with it. But it's just not a great theme. The last 3-4 notes are the most childish since John Ottman's Fantastic Four theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Oblivion - some guys

</whining>

I wish I didn't get this score. It's an inferior version of Tron: Legacy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

Why is he a douche? confused

BTW, when you see this guy do you think great actor?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Iron Man 3 - Brian Tyler

First listen... great new theme!

-Erik-

I disagree completely with the "great" assignment. I like the fact that he took the theme and ran with it. But it's just not a great theme. The last 3-4 notes are the most childish since John Ottman's Fantastic Four theme.

What's with all this childish talk? rolleyes How do you think he should have ended the theme? What makes it childish? Finally, we get a long lined, instantly memorable theme but that's not enough. No, it's not Star Wars... but what is... but for me - some one who has been wanting more than just 2 notes to represent their filmed super heroes - I'm very satisfied with Tyler's theme and score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    What's with all this childish talk? rolleyes How do you think he should have ended the theme? What makes it childish? Finally, we get a long lined, instantly memorable theme but that's not enough. No, it's not Star Wars... but what is... but for me - some one who has been wanting more than just 2 notes to represent their filmed super heroes - I'm very satisfied with Tyler's theme and score.

-Erik-

My problem with Brian's theme is how it ends (as if stuttering to a stand still from a confident start), and in retrospect, it's kind of a moot point since he uses on the first half most of the time. It's not "instantly memorable", for the right reason, for me anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think it works wonderfully as a closing to the piece. There's a beginning, a middle and an end. And I don't think the ending is stuttered whatsoever. You get five big, powerful stamped notes performed in unison with orchestra, percussion and choir that offers a clear and satisfying conclusion to the theme. I'm a sucker for syncopation wink And what's so great about a theme of this sort is Tyler now has the option to dissect it, play with it and use it in variations or fragments throughout the score. Use the A theme here. B theme there. The 5 big concluding notes elsewhere. Composers have lots of fun with themes of this sort.

BTW, I keep singing David Arnold"s "Surrender" when I hear those notes? Does that make Arnold's song childish?

-Erik-
  6. What Erik says makes a lot of sense, especially in the context of how Brian Tyler structurally has a similar writing formula to Jerry Goldsmith - make one theme whcih gets dissected and used in a versatile way.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: OBLIVION (M83)

This score is really growing on me. INCEPTION/BATMAN BEGINS/TRON influence or not, when it shines, it really shines (God, how I love those epic synth snare drums!).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Salamander - Jerry Goldsmith

Stunning both in sound/performance quality and the fact that this was done without the original source material.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Scribe wrote
    NP: The Salamander - Jerry Goldsmith

Stunning both in sound/performance quality and the fact that this was done without the original source material.

Go figure. I'm listening to this right now for the first time myself. I'm very impressed by the performance quality. Often with this type of project, the budget isn't there for a lot of rehearsal time but that's clearly not an issue here. It sounds wonderful. Listening to Track 2 right now, which is making me wish that Jerry used a chorus more often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    There are so many older scores with amazing choir parts that I wish would get similar re-recordings so that I can actually listen to them and enjoy them without the poor original recording quality irritating me.