• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2013 edited
    Scribe wrote
    There are so many older scores with amazing choir parts that I wish would get similar re-recordings so that I can actually listen to them and enjoy them without the poor original recording quality irritating me.

Which scores exactly?

NP: Blade Runner - Vangelis

This is BSX's stunning re-recording! Great film music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2013
    Thor wrote
    NP: OBLIVION (M83)

This score is really growing on me. INCEPTION/BATMAN BEGINS/TRON influence or not, when it shines, it really shines (God, how I love those epic synth snare drums!).

It's awesome ! Play it loud !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Nothing with the Rock In it is worth watching. The score to the 2nd isn't as bad as some of my colleagues believe here smile

You're kidding, right? The Rock makes even the crappiest of movies at least a little bit watchable. Agree with your second point, though.

Yeah, when you see this douche, the first thing that comes into your mind is 'great actor' wink beer

Why is he a douche? confused

Because he can't act.

BTW, when you see this guy do you think great actor?

-Erik-

Since when he is a great actor ?
  1. I wanted to ask the same biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote
    There are so many older scores with amazing choir parts that I wish would get similar re-recordings so that I can actually listen to them and enjoy them without the poor original recording quality irritating me.

Which scores exactly?
    -Erik-

Older Morricone scores...Mario Nascimbene scores, Bernstein scores...fortunately there's at least highlights of many of those scores that have been rerecorded on various compilations..

EDIT: And Delerue scores, of course!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2013
    Demetris wrote
    Because he can't act.

That doesn't make some one a douche. And he was actually REALLY good in The Rundown.

Demetris wrote

Yeah, he sucked in Boogie Nights, Three Kings and The Fighter didn't he? What a piece of shit.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The thing I appreciate about the Rock is that he has charisma and doesn't take himself seriously. I'm OK with him not rushing to do a run of Hamlet between films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The Rock seems perfectly cast for the new PAIN & GAIN film -- one I look forward to immensely, btw. But obviously, he's no good actor. At least none that he has proved yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Because he can't act.

That doesn't make some one a douche. And he was actually REALLY good in The Rundown.

Demetris wrote

Yeah, he sucked in Boogie Nights, Three Kings and The Fighter didn't he? What a piece of shit.

-Erik-

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. LSH wrote
    NP: THE GREEN MILE - Thomas Newman

I felt like listening to something melancholy. And this is about as hopelessly sad as it gets. Coffey On The Mile still riddles me with goosebumps. So so so draining.

Yes. One of my Top 5 favorite Newman scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Because he can't act.

Demetris wrote

-Erik-

biggrin

I didn't like Boogie Nights, in both the Fighter and Three Kings, he was overshadowed by the far, far superior George Clooney and the excellent Christian Bale respectively. I am sorry but he never proved to be a very good actor; in most of his movies he has that retarded, emotionless look; when i think of him, the stupid 'where the fuck am i, what am i doing here' look in 'THE HAPPENING' comes to mind. As for the Rock, let's be serious: he might be a laugh out loud fun a la Chuck Norris for some (for me, not even close) or the older cheesy Arnold movies, but out of all the great actors out there, let's be frank: none of those can actually act well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't think anyone is even suggesting that The Rock is a great actor, personally he's not exactly my cuppa either but in the very few films I've seen him he's been entertaining.

I haven't seen The Fighter but Boogie Nights ( a great film, loved it ) showed that Wahlberg does have acting chops and George Clooney, far from being a 'far, far superior' ( at what? Being charismatic? ), is anything but if you're talking about his very wooden acting ability.

As for The Happening, well, that whole film was retarded and is best forgotten.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Listening to Tyler's new Iron Man 3 theme, it's like a breath of fresh air in the superhero canon of recent "themes". I'm in agreement with Erik here: having a theme that actually goes somewhere, has an actual melodic line, it can be used in a variety of different ways in the score itself. It can be cut up, flipped, reversed in a variety of different ways (if that's what's required).

Tyler's orchestration for the theme reminds me a lot of the NFL Film scores from the likes of David Robidoux: adrenaline-fuelled, propulsive and a strong hint of patriotism. Attributes which I think that Tyler would have wanted for Iron Man's theme?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE WHITE DAWN - Henry Mancini

Don't get excited, this is still the only available 11.40 length suite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    And what a suite it is!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's wonderful! I wonder if the original score is even available? It's been wanted by fans for so long now and I'm sure FSM or Intrada would have looked into this.
  4. STAR TREK TNG The Best of Both Worlds (1991) - Ron Jones.
    Surely one of the best scores of the entire series.

This is one out of two double episodes that I would have loved to see as a cinematic feature, the other beeing Unification.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    STAR TREK TNG The Best of Both Worlds (1991) - Ron Jones.
    Surely one of the best scores of the entire series.

This is one out of two double episodes that I would have loved to see as a cinematic feature, the other beeing Unification.

Volker

Indeed. Depending on your taste, I would say the tie for best scores of TNG goes to this ["The Best of Both Worlds"] and McCarthy's "Yesterday's Enterprise".

There are some great cues throughout the series, but cue-for-cue in a single episode, I think these two reach above the others.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. NP: Local Hero - Mark Knopfler

love

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening to Tyler's new Iron Man 3 theme, it's like a breath of fresh air in the superhero canon of recent "themes". I'm in agreement with Erik here: having a theme that actually goes somewhere, has an actual melodic line, it can be used in a variety of different ways in the score itself. It can be cut up, flipped, reversed in a variety of different ways (if that's what's required).

Tyler's orchestration for the theme reminds me a lot of the NFL Film scores from the likes of David Robidoux: adrenaline-fuelled, propulsive and a strong hint of patriotism. Attributes which I think that Tyler would have wanted for Iron Man's theme?

First listen here. Very energetic and it's a lot more listenable than some of his other action scores. Very cool!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2013 edited
    NP: The Punisher - Carlo Silliotto

This is not your typical comic book film score but my goodness is this good. I don't recall this doing anything for me when I first heard back in '04. I love the main theme, which sounds a bit like something from THE ROCK (and Brian Tyler's new IRON MAN theme). Some one on my Twitter feed described the score as "a mix of Rota, Morricone and Elfman" all rolled into one. I couldn't agree more. It's a deep, reflective, and intensely dramatic score. "The Massacre" cue is, IMO, the scores highlight. I'm really loving every moment of this underrated gem.

Check it out if you can.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2013 edited
    I love the main theme from The Punisher too. It's not an in-your-face theme, more emotionally-charged if I recall correctly and says more about the character than their kick-ass attitude.

I did a review of this score for www.musiconfilm.net back in 2004 which seems to have been lost to the transient nature of the interweb.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Glory - James Horner

Glory is the word for this.
  7. Southall wrote
    Glory - James Horner

Glory is the word for this.

Great score. Possibly my favorite of his, that or The Rocketeer. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AVATAR (James Horner)

No, THIS is glory!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    On my alphabetically-ordered Horner top five, they are in positions one and two.
  8. Southall wrote
    On my alphabetically-ordered Horner top five, they are in positions one and two.

What about your complete and chronologically ordered Horner top five?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2013
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

What nonsense you speak sir, hast though so soon forgotten the mightiness of KRULL which, as I remember astutely took up places 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 in your list of top 5 Horner scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner