• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2013 edited
    There doesn't seem to be a topic for this composer, so I'll start one!

This is my review of Kraemer's JACK REACHER score, if anyone is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2013/01/15/jack- … e-kraemer/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2013
    Last year, composer Joe Kraemer reunited with director/writer Christopher McQuarrie to score Jack Reacher, based on the hit series of novels by author Lee Child. The film, which stars Tom Cruise, Rosamund Pike and Werner Herzog, opened on December 18, 2012 and has grossed over $150 million worldwide. ScoringSessions.com is thrilled to bring you the photos from the scoring session at Sony!

http://www.scoringsessions.com

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013
    I liked this one too.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2015
    Preview of Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation score

"Moroccan Pursuit"

Exciting, fast paced, brassy, big orchestra. I like it already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Me too. I'm no longer disappointed Giacchino didn't return for a third score.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2015 edited
    Compared to MI:III, the Ghost Protocol score was very underwhelming, despite containing one of my favourite Giacchino cues (World's Worst Parking Valet).

From what I've heard from someone who worked on the Rogue Nation, Kraemer's score is massive, and I think the above cue speaks volumes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I really like what Kraemer did for DAWN PATROL this year. Great, electronic soundscapes. Wish he nurtured some of that for M:I.

(PS. Someone edit the headline to be in all-caps).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I never got that sense, I LOVE Ghost Protocol. To me, it's as exciting as the third score but with more 'campy' fun. I love the stereotypical "geographical" music. (I also think the third film is a pile of shite, whereas the fourth film at least revels in its silliness a bit more.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I really like what Kraemer did for DAWN PATROL this year. Great, electronic soundscapes. Wish he nurtured some of that for M:I.

No.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh, yes. I enjoy that sound more than anything I've heard in the franchise, except Zimmer's M:I2, which is my favourite of the scores (yes, even more than Elfman's original or even Schifrin's stuff).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

No.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

No.

Seconded. The motion is carried. Thor's comment is dismissed.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Actually some interesting electronic textures would be nice for an M:I film, but God, not a completely electronic score. The whole idea is that it's a throwback!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There can never be too much electronics.

SYNTHS FOR THE WIN!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Go away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2015
    Screw orchestras. Orchestras are boring and oldfashioned.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Well, if age makes something old fashioned, then anybody over the age 30 [and from Norway] is oldfashioned and needs to go away... wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2015 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Preview of Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation score

"Moroccan Pursuit"

Kick ass!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Pretty standard, accomplished modern-day action scoring. Just wish he'd give a fully-rendered version of Schifrin's theme in this rather than just hinting at it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2015
    It's a wee bit better than 'pretty standard', you old curmudgeon. Plus it's just one track, so it hardly seems fair to denigrate it for not including a full version of Schifrin's theme. uhm
  6. Steven wrote
    It's a wee bit better than 'pretty standard', you old curmudgeon. Plus it's just one track, so it hardly seems fair to denigrate it for not including a full version of Schifrin's theme. uhm

Why automatically think that I am putting Kraemer's efforts down? Maybe I'd thought that a full statement of Schifrin's theme may have added something more.

But, yes, it all sounds pretty standard - though accomplished - to me. And I am sure that it will fit the film like a glove.

(Oops, there I go bad-mouthing the film now. wink )
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Pretty standard, accomplished modern-day action scoring. Just wish he'd give a fully-rendered version of Schifrin's theme in this rather than just hinting at it.

shocked

The entire track is based on Schifrin's M:I rhythm. The M:I theme is going through many variations... it doesn't have to be stated in full during every single track. Not standard at all. And... this is just 2 minutes from a much longer score.

Yeesh. wink

-Erik-
  7. It's not being stated in "every single track". From what I have heard from the score so far, there's no full statement of the theme whatsoever.

And I am forming an opinion on the 2 minutes I have heard. Why would anyone assume that I am providing an opinion on anything else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote

Why automatically think that I am putting Kraemer's efforts down? Maybe I'd thought that a full statement of Schifrin's theme may have added something more.

dizzy

I'm sure there's a full rendition of the theme in the score. This is Kraemer's music, referencing the Schifrin theme no less. It's great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    The entire track is based on Schifrin's M:I rhythm.

It's really not.
    The Mission: Impossible theme is in a 5/4 beat (like the jazz classic "Take 5"). This is...well, to be honest it seems to be switching beats every two bars or so, which is of course just fine (taking into consideration it's not a dance tune, but an action cue smile ).
    But I'm with Alan: the track just refers to the Mission: Impossible statement. Nothing more.
    And just based on this particular track, I'm not really very intrigued in this score at the moment (though if you leave SoundCloud running beyond the track's 2:29 mark, it is somehow invisibly followed by a track that really sounds interesting (no idea if it's part of the score. No idea what it is, period!*)!)

* EDIT: never mind: it was something thrown up by SoundCloud as a "recommendation" based on this track. It's something from someone called Paul Bonghez. dizzy No idea what, how, where or why.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bah! Curmudgeon!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    If you really want to hear (a little bit) of Joe Kraemer's version of the M:I theme, why not check out this advert for National Tyres?

My understanding is that was the version used in the trailer. I am sure there will be a full version in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes. That definitely makes me want to buy tyres...

( uhm )
  8. I remember reading that Schifrin's "theme for M:I was nothing more than a cue from the pilot score tracked as the opening theme after he did an actual theme cue and it was not liked and dumped.