• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    For a few years now, I’ve been very interested in extroversion and introversion.. I was planning on taking a psychology class this semester on personality, but I wasn’t able to fit it into my schedule. I myself am a pretty extreme introvert. I need friends and social interaction like everyone else, but I often need several hours to myself after being around a lot of people for a few hours.

I can rarely spend more than one day of the weekend with other people. Throughout the week from class to work, I’m around other people almost constantly and need the weekend to myself. This is the time I can just sit back and enjoy a book, movie, video game or score, and I find it incredibly fulfilling.

I read an article a while ago (can’t remember where) that said many people who listen to classical music are generally introverted. While I wasn’t completely convinced by their argument, I thought I would pose the question here. While film music isn’t classical, it is often times very comparable. So are you introverted or extroverted or combination of the two?
  1. I find I am pretty introverted. I sometimes wonder if most people who opt for message board friends are too!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    David wrote
    I myself am a pretty extreme introvert. I need friends and social interaction like everyone else, but I often need several hours to myself after being around a lot of people for a few hours.

I can rarely spend more than one day of the weekend with other people. Throughout the week from class to work, I’m around other people almost constantly and need the weekend to myself. This is the time I can just sit back and enjoy a book, movie, video game or score, and I find it incredibly fulfilling.

The same goes for me.
    While I am certainly doing better when I am together with other people I'm still very quiet and I often have to force myself into a conversation. And afterwards I feel tired too. The best moments are when I am just reading a book on the train, when I am at home doing the things I like, etc.

I accepted I am an introvert long time ago (why can't other people?) but what has fascinated me lately is that in my profession, teaching, it is totally different. Because then it's the teacher, not me. Funny how it works like that. When I'm in the classroom with those children you can't notice I'm an introvert, in the teachers' room afterwards though... I do have headaches or feel very exhausted after a couple of hours of teaching, so I'm still not sure if it's the job for me.

franz conrad wrote:
    I find I am pretty introverted. I sometimes wonder if most people who opt for message board friends are too!

I guess so. I think introverts are often teachers, actors, singers, writers, artists, somehow somewhere they need to express themselves. Also in messageboards. Here we express ourselves but reading and writing is still an introvert activity in my experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interestingly I'm as introverted as a particularly unsubtle atomic bomb explosion.

That said, I am quite shy, so it's rather likely I'm just trying to loudly drown out my shyness? smile
    To be sure, at the end of the day I'm far more the armchair historian than the stage animal.
    I do enjoy the company of others, but I'm also quite capabe to amuse myself.

I have grave doubts though as to the validity of making any meaningful link between classical (or film) music and one's particular tendency towards social interaction and outspokenness. I think any such statistical connection is really skipping a great number of psychological, emotional and sociological steps and factors.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008 edited
    At the moment, I'm rather struggling with this question, the last years actually. I'm pretty sure I'm a natural introvert, yet I want to be more of an extrovert. Especially right now, when I'm constantly having job interviews (another one this afternoon! *fingers crossed*), I try to be as extroverted as possible. I also think life's probably more fun, or certainly more easy, when you're an extrovert. Also, I studied Communication Management, which helps on the job to be more outgoing.

And like Bregje said, it also depends on the environment and the 'role' you play. I myself have done stage acting for a while, also to train my 'extrovertion' (a word?) and be more outgoing, and I noticed that, as soon as I was playing someone else, I was much more free to do and say things (at a certain point I very loudly yelled at a full audience in fury, which I just couldn't imagine doing otherwise, but just because it was called for in the part). I also managed to overcome my stage-fright, also because I had to deliver many speeches and presentations in college.

But in companies, often I tend to get quiet, rather listening than speaking. Yet, as many (Bregt, certainly :p) must've noticed in Gent, my voice tends to get rather loud, without myself noticing it, so many people think I'm an extrovert dizzy Nonetheless I much more enjoy a 1-on-1 company, instead of groups. And also, when I go out in groups, I tend to connect to 1 person at a time. I'm not very fond of group-talks smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    BobdH wrote
    At the moment, I'm rather struggling with this question, the last years actually. I'm pretty sure I'm a natural introvert, yet I want to be more of an extrovert. Especially right now, when I'm constantly having job interviews (another one this afternoon! *fingers crossed*), I try to be as extroverted as possible. I also think life's probably more fun, or certainly more easy, when you're an extrovert.

Bob, this sounds so familiar, especially the 'wanting to be more of an extrovert'. I still haven't found the right balance in this. Faking to be an extrovert to be more normal or attractive and then afterwards feeling better actually, what does that mean? Do I have to learn a little bit more? Or are the others faking it as well?? Fact is that extrovert people are often seen as 'nice people' while introverts seem 'boring' or 'cranky' or 'weird' or 'stupid'. That's my experience anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregje wrote
    Fact is that extrovert people are often seen as 'nice people' while introverts seem 'boring' or 'cranky' or 'weird' or 'stupid'. That's my experience anyway.

To a certain degree, indeed! And also the question: why am I not an extrovert? Especially since, indeed, people seem to like extroverted people more, and I never mind when someone starts talking to me... why don't I do the same, then? If people really like you better when you're extroverted, shouldn't it be a lot scarier not to say anything?

But the awnser is, of course, much more difficult then 'just start talking'.

I tend to disagree, though, with the consensus that introverted people are 'boring'. Although I always enjoy the company of an extrovert, they're often an 'open book', while the introverted seem more 'mysterious': much more interesting.

Well, I guess it's a question everybody struggles with at a certain age. I am very curious, though, as to how Martijn sees himself? Are you shy? In what ways, then? Because as soon as I met you, you seemed to me as the kind of guy who isn't in the least shy and don't have any problems with talking to anybody. I never really 'get' how some people who seem to be the most extrovert as possible, actually say they are rather insecure, and thus camouflaging this with being very 'theatrical'. smile (this last sentence is also stated 'in general', so I'm not saying, Martijn, that you're insecure or anything wink).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    BobdH wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Fact is that extrovert people are often seen as 'nice people' while introverts seem 'boring' or 'cranky' or 'weird' or 'stupid'. That's my experience anyway.

To a certain degree, indeed! And also the question: why am I not an extrovert? Especially since, indeed, people seem to like extroverted people more, and I never mind when someone starts talking to me... why don't I do the same, then? If people really like you better when you're extroverted, shouldn't it be a lot scarier not to say anything?

Hm, this sounds like you are saying people are introverted because they are scared to be extraverted? I think it's just in my nature and not because I can't be extraverted. As I explained already, the thing I haven't figured out yet is, do I want to be more extraverted or not? In fact not, but it's like society demands it sometimes, bleh...

I tend to disagree, though, with the consensus that introverted people are 'boring'. Although I always enjoy the company of an extrovert, they're often an 'open book', while the introverted seem more 'mysterious': much more interesting.

I like introverted people too! I was talking the other way around, how people respond to me most of the time. Maybe it has something to do with finding the right people you feel comfortable with. I have experienced I can feel completely comfy and as introverted as I want with some kind of people but it took a while to find them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Im both.

Sometimes im too introverted, sometimes im excesive extroverted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Nautilus wrote
    Im both.

Sometimes im too introverted, sometimes im excesive extroverted.

What if I said you can only be one and you had to choose, what would it be? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I would like to see a definition of extrovert and introvert because I am wondering now what exactly it is. I was thinking extravert is expressive and introvert is shut in. But are we talking about talking here? Many people link introvert to shy. And extravert to talkative. But I'm wondering if a writer or painter or actor who doesn't talk much is introvert or extrovert? Are we talking any kind of expression here or what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I WAS extra introvert.

I've to say since some years, I react much more normal with other people. I'm still introvert but I would now talk to people myself, take initiative. I like being around with friends or meet new people. I like to listen to what other (or new) people say or tell. I don't quickly talk much about myself though, that's something introvert perhaps?

But I love being alone too. A drive with the bike after an evening out can be a highlight, the calmness and just being alone, thinking about yourself or what has been said. Reflective. wink cool
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Bregje wrote
    I would like to see a definition of extrovert and introvert because I am wondering now what exactly it is.

According to WikiPedia
    Extraverts (sometimes called "extroverts") are gregarious, assertive, and generally seek out excitement. Introverts, in contrast, are reserved, deep in thought, and self-reliant. They are not necessarily asocial, but they tend to have few true friends, and are less likely to thrive on making new social contacts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrovert
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm very extrovert NOW, but like others above, it has been a process. Some 7-8 years ago, I was much more of an introvert, usually shunning too much social life. Today - for a variety of reasons that I won't go into here - I am what one may call a "party animal", and have been so for the last few years. Still - and again as many of the previous posters - it's rarely an either/or question, but more nuanced. I need lots of personal time, where I can be alone with my own thoughts or experiences.

Since lot of the stuff I do have to do with COMMUNICATING things to an audience (acting, lecturing, guiding, being in a TV show etc.), you HAVE to have a certain sense of extrovertedness(?) or at least be able to GO INTO THOSE ROLES when required. You have to have a certain sense of exhibitionism.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Reading all of the answers I am pretty sure now that extroversion has something to do with direct social interaction and not writing, painting, composing ot other ways of expression. With performing on stage or teaching in class it gets complicated again. It is a role, yes, but it is direct social interaction too...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    It is a role, yes...

Now see, the whole concept of "roles" is quite undervalued here.
    Are you getting annoyed as well when people say "just be yourself"? And well you should: there IS no one particular self, only personas (or indeed, if you will, "roles") we assume in different aspects of our lives.

We use/display different personas when interacting with our friends then when we are at work.
    This doesn't mean at all we aren't true to ourselves: the truth is, all these different facets (and expressions) MAKE UP our true self.

So it's quite possible to be both an intravert and an extravert, I would think.
    It's all a matter of nuances AND of how much any one person is actually bothered or worried by the balance between those nuances.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. It's interesting that even a relatively antiquated personality test like the Myers-Briggs test has a spectrum or vector of extroversion/introversion. Some people will land on the extremes, but there are enough qualifying questions to put you smack-bang in the middle.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. I'd definitely see myself as an introvert. I immediately think of my inability to mix with people I don't know at a first meeting as the main example of my shyness.

It takes me ages to break down the barriers that I have thrown up when I am exposed to a new group of people; whether it be at social or work-related gatherings. Once that initial reluctance to mix has gone and I feel more comfortable in the company of the group I do tend to become more extroverted.

Perhaps people who know me on this board may be a bit surprised by my level of introvertedness, but interacting via a messageboard/forum somehow lessens the daunting prospect of a group meeting and reduces my level of introvertedness.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    It is a role, yes...

Are you getting annoyed as well when people say "just be yourself"? And well you should: there IS no one particular self, only personas (or indeed, if you will, "roles") we assume in different aspects of our lives.

No, I only get annoyed when people say 'you should...' rolleyes

tongue wink

I don't have time now to go into the concept of self, but when people say to me 'just be yourself' I know they are saying 'have confidence' or 'it will be OK' or 'you can do it'. Either way, it helps you get back in touch with... yes, yourself.

How should we encourage you then? 'Just be the appropriate persona' ? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    No, I only get annoyed when people say 'you should...' rolleyes

"and well you should" is an expression. It means: "and you'd be prefectly justified in doing so". smile

How should we encourage you then? 'Just be the appropriate persona' ? wink

No. I would hope for people to appreciate just how complex human behaviour is, and NOT come out with platitudes like "just be yourself", but try and apply some true insight in what drives a person at any given moment.

So when there's a mismatch between expectation and actual behaviour, encourage questioning.
    I.e. when I use a (more formal and overbearing) work persona in a social situation, I would love my dear ones to point out that I do not need to impress them, or ask what is wrong.
    When I am in a more personal and introverted state of mind while I would need to give a presentation, I would love for them to help me by reminding me of situations where I did (successfully) "display the appropriate persona" ("remember how well you did on the last occasion?").

That's how I feel proper encouragement is given.
    Not by telling me to "be myself". vomit
    ("I'll be my fantasy roleplaying game self then and take a battle axe to your head?" wink biggrin )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'M EXTROVERT! biggrin wink

Well, predominently but not all of the time, I've always been a social animal who loves company and lots of it and if there was a worldwide contest then I could talk for England ( very opposite to my rather small postings on boards ), however I've been told by friends that I'm also a good listener so I'd like to think I'm not an overbearing individual.

I can also be introverted at times, and even shy, there are many times where I just need my own company and am quite happy to go it alone, hell, I've travelled abroad by myself on numerous occasions and even hiked among mountains alone which is not a great idea at all but I suppose it shows motivation and a lot of self confidence?!

We're all multi-faceted and I doubt any of us come close to describing our characters and personalities completely.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Bregje wrote
    I would like to see a definition of extrovert and introvert because I am wondering now what exactly it is. I was thinking extravert is expressive and introvert is shut in. But are we talking about talking here? Many people link introvert to shy. And extravert to talkative. But I'm wondering if a writer or painter or actor who doesn't talk much is introvert or extrovert? Are we talking any kind of expression here or what?.

The way I've always understood it is that extraverts tend to draw energy from other people and grow tired and restless when by themselves for periods of time whereas introverts are just the opposite. Of course it's probably rare for someone to be extremely one way or the other, but rather a certain combination of the two.

Also although introversion often goes hand-in-hand with shyness, it doesn't have to. Like I said, I enjoy spending a lot of time alone, or in one-on-one conversations, but I don't consider myself a shy person (as a journalist, I can't be). I'm not a big talker in group conversations, but I don't think it's because of shyness, but rather I enjoy listening to others and trying figure out exactly what I want to say so that it has more weight than something I just think of on the fly.

Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    It is a role, yes...

We use/display different personas when interacting with our friends then when we are at work.
    This doesn't mean at all we aren't true to ourselves: the truth is, all these different facets (and expressions) MAKE UP our true self.

So it's quite possible to be both an intravert and an extravert, I would think.
    It's all a matter of nuances AND of how much any one person is actually bothered or worried by the balance between those nuances.

I can certainly see your point, but it also depends on how you define the self. It might be easier to compare it to something more tangible -- like makeup. Many people wear makeup because society pressures us to conform to a certain look, but is the face we are putting on for others who we truly are? Most people are comfortable showing their real face to family and friends. I think the same can be said about acting in different roles or personas. We act one way around certain people to conform, but it may not be the way we want to act. So are we still being our true self. Certainly our different personalities make up who we are, but does that necessarily equate to our true self? It really comes down to how you define self. I honestly don't know which side I stand on, just presenting a different opinion.

Martijn wrote

I have grave doubts though as to the validity of making any meaningful link between classical (or film) music and one's particular tendency towards social interaction and outspokenness. I think any such statistical connection is really skipping a great number of psychological, emotional and sociological steps and factors.

The article I read wasn't very convincing, but if there is indeed a statistical relationship, then that could bring about questions and research to look at the psychological, emotional and sociological factors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I'M EXTROVERT! biggrin wink

Well, predominently but not all of the time, I've always been a social animal who loves company and lots of it and if there was a worldwide contest then I could talk for England ( very opposite to my rather small postings on boards ), however I've been told by friends that I'm also a good listener so I'd like to think I'm not an overbearing individual.

I can also be introverted at times, and even shy, there are many times where I just need my own company and am quite happy to go it alone, hell, I've travelled abroad by myself on numerous occasions and even hiked among mountains alone which is not a great idea at all but I suppose it shows motivation and a lot of self confidence?!

We're all multi-faceted and I doubt any of us come close to describing our characters and personalities completely.

beer <- one day
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ....after a John Williams and the LSO concert at a big London venue hopefully?!

beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm SO there!
    Look for the bloke yodeling from the chandeleer sprinkling the room liberally with his illegally imported bottles of port.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I'm SO there!
    Look for the bloke yodeling from the chandeleer sprinkling the room liberally with his illegally imported bottles of port.

If it's The Royal Albert Hall you'll be yodelling a 150 feet to your death! wink

But man I so hope it'll one day happen? I think Williams is the only draw that could get lots of us together collectively!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    If it's The Royal Albert Hall you'll be yodelling a 150 feet to your death! wink

Aye...but WHAT a way to go! love

I do so like to leave a lasting impression (on the marble floor and spread over the first six rows, I would imagine biggrin )
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    great thread. I tend to be more introverted but I don't really have a problem talking to people on a superficial level--I don't particularly enjoy doing it, but I do it when i have to. I find that most people don't want 'close' or 'deep' friendships---and the longer i've gone without them i find myself finding it not worth the effort as well. most of my 'friends' are just people from classes---and we've mostly grown apart, without sharing hobbies, there's no real connection---besides that former class--there are some people i was close with and when we talk we talk for a while nad are pretty open with each other--but we'll go months without talking. i pretty much keep to myself, i am not the arrogant bastard in RL that i am on internet forums...i don't think most people are. it's a not a matter of being 'fake', it's just easier to express oneself online and unfortunately we say things that we might not enjoy reading at a later date, or that make us look like an idiot--but such is life.
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Extro, the vast majority of times and especially when the company i'm with helps as well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.