• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    Nonetheless I much more enjoy a 1-on-1 company, instead of groups. And also, when I go out in groups, I tend to connect to 1 person at a time. I'm not very fond of group-talks smile

I'm like this as well.
  1. Extrovert AND introvert at once. I'm almost agoraphobic in some means, but love to be open to people. TOO open at times - lost few friends on that.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Hey this thread makes up for great reading. Lots of interesting ideas and opinions shared here.

When I'm at home I will do everything in my power to not be extrovert: I'll keep to myself, lock myself in my own world of videogames, movies and music and I do not like it when things happen out of the blue, I don't like surprises that catch me off guard, so I tend to stick with what I know and so I do not experiment with the unknown.

Before I was very shy, now not so much but my social skills still need some work, especially when in new company, or with people I cannot connect with. However I cannot communicate normally with women, I cannot find the words to say. It depends as well how the other person reacts to me. I admit that women are totally unknown territory to me...

When I'm at work I much more extrovert because I know the people, the workplace, etc., I tend to express my opinions, say my thing to the boss and so on, and with some colleagues I get along very well, I'd like to have an open mind and be not the arrogant or weird dude, I like people to like me, though that's not always possible.

So I'm definitely both, but 66% introvert and 33% extrovert. Because I will not search out extrovert situations on my own, I like my introversion, or more like to think I have no choice of something else, since it's my personality. I tried to change through therapy but alas, I quickly fall back into old territory.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Extrovert AND introvert at once. I'm almost agoraphobic in some means, but love to be open to people. TOO open at times - lost few friends on that.

indeed. That kind of describes me as well, except for agoraphobia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008
    David wrote
    The way I've always understood it is that extraverts tend to draw energy from other people and grow tired and restless when by themselves for periods of time whereas introverts are just the opposite.

Wow, I have never heard this description before, but I really really like it. Because it shows what happens when these needs are not fulfilled.

I am definitely 100% introvert, no doubt about it. I get tired of being around people all the time. I am always hoping the doorbell or phone won't ring and I won't meet anyone I know when I go shopping or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008
    Wow, that sounds very tired!
    I must have written it that way because I am actually a bit tired right now. smile
    It's not as bad as it seems! But I do enjoy being alone very much.
  3. Hey, no shame in that, whenever I get the chance I want to be by myself, I can't stand to be around people all the time. I'm just not a people kind of guy.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    Bregje wrote

I am definitely 100% introvert, no doubt about it. I get tired of being around people all the time. I am always hoping the doorbell or phone won't ring and I won't meet anyone I know when I go shopping or something.

Haha, that describes me perfectly. I'm sitting here at work now just longing to continue the book I started yesterday -- "The Crusades through Arab Eyes" by Amin Maalouf (really good so far).

Right now I'm the photo editor for my college's newspaper, and it's, for the most part, a real bore. I like the people here, but sitting here for 8+ hours after a full day of classes really taxes my system as an introvert (well anyone really, not just an introvert, haha). I like being able to help the other photographers improve their shooting by giving them advice and helping them go through their photos, but I'd much rather be out doing the photographing myself. The thing I like so much about photojournalism is, even though I have to interact with people on a very regular basis, for the most part I act very much by myself. Judging the situations I'm in, judging the lighting of the environment, trying different angles and compositions, etc. I'm very much in my own world when photographing, and I absolutely love that. This editing gig, although important, is too much of a desk job for me. I'm still shooting, just no as much as I would like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But, maybe it is meeting new people the process which you really don't want to go through most of the times? Or do you wish that you don't randomly pop into someone you know as well? Or that someone won't call and all?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    I don't mind meeting new people at all -- I actually think it's a lot of fun to meet new and different personalities just to get an experience for what a diverse society we live in. I just don't want to stay around them for long, haha. The thing about people calling and popping up has everything to do with the word you used, randomly. If I'm expecting to have some time to myself, that's just what I want. If I'm expecting company, it's not a big deal, but if I plan on having time alone, I don't usually want that interrupted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008
    I'm definitely an introvert. I'm fine talking to people I don't know, but usually only if they start the conversation. Even among my friends, I am pretty quiet, though. I like to keep to myself, and sometimes people don't even realize I'm in the same room as them...
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008 edited
    I was extrovert and very spontanous and open in my childhood confused , but now I'm a pretty closed person. Once I get to know people I become pretty social, but I'll never take the first steps. I'm always shy in new environments. Reflecting alone and being alone is for me just as normal as being among friends. Although I would like to have more spontaneous interacting with people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm completely introverted, and am inclined to agree with Franz's opening salvo in this thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm both, I tend to adapt to a certain environment. When I'm at uni, around friends, I'm relatively extroverted. Other times I can be quite introverted.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    today i am mostly introvert
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    Christoph wrote
    I was extrovert and very spontanous and open in my childhood confused , but now I'm a pretty closed person.

Hey, it went exactly the same with me.
    I was a very different child than I am a grown up now. People were confused to see me change like that in puberty. I wish I could use a nice butterfly metaphor, but I'm afraid I was the butterfly first and then I became the cocoon! Hehe.
    wink

The good thing is I am still growing and blossoming and I have my whole life ahead of me to do so and enjoy it.
    Well OK, a big part of my life, I'm not 18 anymore you know...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    I was an introvert till eleventh grade, or rather I think I was almost like a recluse. I had only a few friends and didn't speak much to others. But now I've opened up and become rather a lot outgoing and have good friends. I'm not loudmouthed or talkative but I try my best to mix up with everyone who's around, but I prefer to make friends with people who are simple and nice and don't do stuff like cracking vulgar jokes or harassing girls.
  4. Well, these past months I've worked on becoming a lot more open toward my colleagues, especially the people that appreciate me and value me in what I do. Though I tend to put on my thick as concrete shield whenever somebody attacks me where it hurts. In those cases I just want to explode and say what I think of that person, but the huge STOP sign in my head says to hold off. So when someone in my good book makes a comment on whatever I know how to take it and will respond appropriately, but never by hurting the other guy. But when someone I really dislike (to the point of hating) like my boss (which is just a major pain in the ass that thinks he's the king that rules the universe) I don't know how to react. This is something that bugs me, my way of handling with such people is I try to ignore them, I do have no problem with them thinking what a jerk I am but when they do find the need to attack me on a personal level, I want to scream out and just give them a good verbal punch in the gut, know what I mean? crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008 edited
    I'm totally EXTRAVERT!!! Except when i'm writing music in 'my fortress of solitude'. (I'm over there quite a lot ) rolleyes

Perhaps an extra addition to this discussion but euh... what does music do with your mood'all? I tend to listen to bloody sad music ( Schindler's List and the sort ), especially when I'm happy and gay (singalong). But when I'm really down I enjoy funny and sunny scores. Perhaps to boost myself up? What do you think guys?

Jojo Van Beethoven
  5. DreamTheater, I think I'm your clone... biggrin
  6. Hybrid Soldier, let's join forces, together we can take on the world. punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    But when someone I really dislike (to the point of hating) like my boss (which is just a major pain in the ass that thinks he's the king that rules the universe) I don't know how to react.

I've got a not-so-great (half - at least I think he's kinda half...) boss now too. After two weeks of working at the company, he couldn't even remember who I was and he got really confused when I sent him an e-mail as to who it came from. I could hear him sitting at a nearby desk asking someone else who I was. biggrin

People like this can be a pain, but just try and get on with what you're doing, and if you can't then write an angry e-mail, save it, and then delete it. You'll feel better, trust me. wink
  7. Never thought of doing that. Have to try that, but without the automatic reflex of clicking on 'Send'... smile . But this guy can be so selfish, incredibly egocentric and simple-minded, while I try to keep an open mind and help out people. Whatever my colleagues or myself say he just don't want to hear it. I feel I'm just not appreciated at what I'm doing... And I know my job and everyone can ask me anything, I'll try to help in any way I can. Yet I get enough appreciation from my co-workers so I can safely ignore the guy without feeling miserable most of the time. In the past I would totally lock up and laugh it away when he made an idiotic comment, nowadays I don't feel like laughing anymore, and the urge to respond is there, but I don't always proceed. I always think of consequences, get it? And he doesn't, he doesn't care about other people's feelings. angry But I know this guy shouldn't get me down, because over the months I've learned to think I'm better than him, which in all honesty is against my upbringing and my character, but you have to do that or else so called superior people can bring your morale down, if you let them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2008 edited
    It's frustrating being confronted every day with people like that. You're obviously locking up your feelings and emotions , which can make a person very sour. And that's something you got to avoid. But it seems you've learned to put the situation in perspective, which is the best thing to do. Staying calm and trying to avoid any anger against people who are just jerks is one of the most hardlessons in life wink. Becoming really unhappy in your work environment, that's just not worth it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2008
    Yeah, I think introverts really have more risk of having a burn-out!
    Always keeping feelings inside, doing things you don't want to do, not knowing how to show yourself or what to say, it sucks energy out of you and the stress is so unhealthy!

But, keep in mind that some people who are actually insecure respond in a dominant or aggressive way! Insecurity can come out the subassertive way but also the aggressive way.

Also shyness can be interpreted as arrogance. Some people have been thinking I was a cold careless person, while I was struggling to feel comfortable with those people... so don't judge people too fast.

Good chance that the 'jerks' have put up some sort of defence meganism... and then there are of course some people who are real jerks.
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Bregje wrote
    Also shyness can be interpreted as arrogance.

Yeah, that happened with me too, in school! My computer science teacher, who was in a rather gruff mood that day, said that I used to delibrately keep quiet to pretend to be an innocent guy in front of the teachers but that he (somehow) knew that I was a rowdy and was his "next target"!! And he just said that for no reason at all just because he was in a bad mood that day slant Though I happened to be sitting near the class "biker gang" ( cheesy ) that day so he may have mistaken me to be with them, but thankfully I've opened up a lot now and no one can complain about that any more wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2008 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Also shyness can be interpreted as arrogance. Some people have been thinking I was a cold careless person, while I was struggling to feel comfortable with those people... so don't judge people too fast.
    wink

I had that problem where I never knew how to react because of me being shy, and being thrown off guard by more talkative people. But I was never arrogant, or at least I hope I never was, just a little odd at times in my reactions. But the people I've always worked with never said I was arrogant, just immature or exaggeratedly (word?) defensive.

And my boss is anything but shy, he just says what he wants, and if he hurts people in the process, he couldn't care less. Like he has done in the past.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bregje wrote
    wink

I had that problem where I never knew how to react because of me being shy, and being thrown off guard by more talkative people. But I was never arrogant, or at least I hope I never was, just a little odd at times in my reactions. But the people I've always worked with never said I was arrogant, just immature or exaggeratedly (word?) defensive.

That pretty much sums me up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2021
    This has gone in waves for me. I'm an introvert by 'default', but I've had some extrovert periods - especially from the mid 2000s to the mid 2010s. Now I'm back to 'introvert' again. But obviously the pandemic automatically creates isolation. I find that I deal with pandemic isolation better than most other people I know. I guess that's one of the benefits of being introvert and appreciating one's own company.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I'm an extroverted Introvert. Like, I love hosting parties with lots of people, but I don't like going to parties with lots of people. spin