• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2007
    WHAT DO WE LOVE?

I really like
    - the flashing yellow when you make a new post. It's utterly pointless, but it looks entirely cool.
    - the dropdown menu to filter discussions
    - the colour lay-out which is very fresh and inviting
    - the ease of navigation: it's all very intuitive
    - the options pane on the right (easily expandable as well once more requirements come to light, I'd think)
    - the way topics with new content are highlighted
    - the "wall" option in the profiles section

How about you guys?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thx. Though, most credit goes to the team that build the forum. I looked around a lot to find a kind of 'different' forum and I think Vanilla does that. Extremely basic, so I could add lot, in a very programmatic way. I loved coding in it.

Light, easy and smart. smile

I would never create my own forum again (I sort of did for filmscore.be). Too much work, making soething safe in PHP isn't easy, andt needs so much debugging (now we mostly have style issues). On the other hand, its mostly moe work to add features you want and to style it all you want. But I tink I did fine so far. The design could be better, but that'll be for another time. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    The design could be better, but that'll be for another time. smile

Are you talking about filmscore or maintitles now? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    maintitles

I think I can do better, I mean. But when people and forum and the rest of the site is settled, I can try something new. Changing design is always cool, but Im talking in several months now.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, apart from some minor quibbles (such as a bit clearer delimitation of posts, which has been noted by both Steven and Demetris), I don't see much issues with the design at all, unless of course you're talking about the actual make-up of the site rather than the lay-out visible to the users.
    I couldn't comment on that. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    beer smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    WHAT DO WE LOVE?

I really like
    - the flashing yellow when you make a new post. It's utterly pointless, but it looks entirely cool.

Absolutely adore it. Totally silly but SOOOOOOO COOL! I hope it won't attract (more) useless posts just for the sake of the green flashing thingy though ehhehe

- the dropdown menu to filter discussions

Where is that? :retarded:

- the colour lay-out which is very fresh and inviting
    - the ease of navigation: it's all very intuitive
    - the options panel on the right (easily expandable as well once more requirements come to light, I'd think)

Exactly.

- the way topics with new content are highlighted

If i was to chose the one and only most useful thingy of the new forum, that would be it. It's just perfect.

- the "wall" option in the profiles section

Agree. If the forum gains some female members as well, it'll also be the perfect place for vivid expressions of pure admiration and other not-so-gentle feelings too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah right, females and film music. biggrin
    They're rare.

Unfortunately sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2007 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Yeah right, females and film music. biggrin
    They're rare.

Unfortunately sad

It's not so bad though; imagine the erotic outbursts and frantic chaos of emotions that would be caused by Jordi, had we had more female members on board! The mere 1/4 of his posts that now make sense and are readable would be instantly gone as well!! biggrin

p.s. on the forum thingy: i know it's partly due to the excitement but is it just me that this forum is (visibly) one of the coolest, laid-back, most pleasant to operate within and most modern out there?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2007
    So what are the others' thoughts on the forum?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I love it.
    Except the parts I hate.
    Those I don't care about.

I need coffee.

coffee
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Overall it looks great! I like the visual simplicity of it all, which is also one of the big strengths I always saw in the SR-forum. Some of the other forums I've surfed by over the time have been so confusing just to look at that my brain was instantly addled. (Not that that is particularly difficult to do, mind you) smile

The logo probably needs to be reworked a bit - on my screen you almost can't read what it says. But that's small potatoes and will come later.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mogens wrote
    Overall it looks great! I like the visual simplicity of it all, which is also one of the big strengths I always saw in the SR-forum. Some of the other forums I've surfed by over the time have been so confusing just to look at that my brain was instantly addled.

Now that's very true; very true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    @Mogens

I think I know why. IE6 is the only browserthat doesn't support transparent PNG files. i'll make it a non transparent one.

Btw, does the smiley buttn work again?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Btw, does the smiley button work again?

Not for me... sad (in IE6. Firefox is fine)
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Nope, not for me either (also IE6).
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    Thx. Though, most credit goes to... blablabla... The design could be better, but... blablabla

Bregt, you really can't handle a compliment, can you? But lets face it: you did a brilliant job! We love it! (this quoting thingy works a charm as well!). If I go through all the threads about the bugs 'n stuff, it really dawns on me what a work it all is and so many things you have to keep track of, yet you did it!

So, drop the wall of humbleness you build around yourself to block the compliments, and face the fact: you can be proud of yourself beer

EDIT: (whiii, my post went yellow! now that was what everybody was talking about over here! brilliant! biggrin ). EDIT: (And it did so again when I edited it! yay!). (does it keep getting deeper yellow when you edit a post more..?). EDIT: (nah, that was me hallucinating...).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No more coffee for that guy. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    YOU GOT ME A KALASHNIKOV EMOTICON!

kill

That is seriously TOO cool!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    How did you find that? shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Btw, does the smiley button work again?

Not for me... sad (in IE6. Firefox is fine)

Mmm... Am I detecting a sneaky way to make everybody go Firefox...? I'm onto you!

And... coffee? Coffee? I don't even like coffee!! What are you talking about?? <<sips his Red Bull>>
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    How did you find that? shocked

The Force is STRONG in this one.

(Hint: if you don't want people to know stuff about ya, KEEP IT OUT OF YOUR PROFILE)

This was another Martijn Public Service Announcement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh! lol

I forgot. biggrin shame cow
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorAndy
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2007
    Hi all.

Looks great, Bregt! I'll deliver some more useful feedback ASAP!
    Cookie monster
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2007 edited
    He's heeeeeeeeeere! biggrin
    <hums Carol-Ann's Theme>
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2007 edited
    Bregt, i really love how one can change the forum category of a thread by clicking on EDIT, if he's the owner. It's a moderator-only feature in SR, right (the "move" option)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2007
    Oh, I hadn't noticed that yet!
    That's VERY good!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2007
    Good to see you here too Andy cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. yep yep, praise Bregt, I mean I don't know the first thing of making a website, and yet Bregt simply pulled it off, it looks great Bregt smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2007
    Tommy boy?
    Erm... Tommy boy... confused