• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    Happy 45th Birthday to him today! beer
  1. Lakeshore Records is releasing his score to "Definately, Maybe".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008
    Is that for definate? wink
  2. What's the word I am looking for here...

M ... ma ... may ..... oh! It's "perhaps".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2008
    DEFINITELY MAYBE (SCORE) (CD RELEASE)

http://www.amazon.com/Definitely-Maybe- … amp;sr=8-3
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2008
    Wow again Lakeshore, they are on a roll lately!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Clint Mansell scores a...comedy?! That I never imagined. I will look into this! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    iTUNES link

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … p;s=143441
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Clint Mansell is... 45?! That I never imagined!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008
    DEFINITELY, MAYBE

Here's the score CD on AMAZON

http://www.amazon.com/Definitely-Maybe- … mp;s=music
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008
    No big surprise, but it's been confirmed now that Clint Mansell is going into the wrestling ring with Darren Aronofsky and Mickey Rourke!

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … stler.html

mc
  3. Darren Aronofsky, who Mansell has done the last four films with -- in cluding the upcoming "The Wrestler" -- is in talks to direct the 2010 "Robocop" sequel.

sad

Well, there goes my hopes for the score.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    Darren Aronofsky, who Mansell has done the last four films with -- in cluding the upcoming "The Wrestler" -- is in talks to direct the 2010 "Robocop" sequel.

sad

Well, there goes my hopes for the score.

Are you kidding, Mansell is awesome! confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    It's Justin.
  4. It's Mansell.

What's wrong with you people? With each passing composer master of the last great era of scoring, you people keep making more & more concedes to composers who do not desereve them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2008
    Who deserves it in your opinion?
  5. Right now, out of the living composers: James Newton Howard and John Barry, though Barry will very likely NEVER score a film again, though he is working on a CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The fountain and Requiem for a dream with segments of Pi are ages beyond many of the mediocre JNH efforts, particularly those at the start of his career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    So there are no mediocre Mansell scores?

The fact that a composer has mediocre scores has absolutely nothing to do with how good they are. I challenge you to name a single composer who has composed no mediocre scores.

That being said, Mansell is cool smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That is not our subject here; Justin claims Mansell is overrated and I say is not, don't get JNH-defensive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Agreed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm no Mansell expert (or fan for that matter), but JNH would be a fine choice for a new Robocop film. He wouldn't be my first choice, but he's certainly a fine one.

From the Mansell scores I've heard (The Fountain and Sahara, and parts of Requiem), I would have to say that they are no match for JNH at his best. Sure, JNH has produced some mediocre scores, and even a few stinkers, but when he's good, he's awesome. He's also a classically trained composer, whereas Mansell isn't, right?

Mathematically, of course JNH has produced more stinkers. He's produced far more scores than Mansell! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I shall remain neutral. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pft, wimp. tongue biggrin

Oh and Demetris, bring it on. BRING IT ON!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2008 edited
    There's nothing to bring on, CLINT MANSELL has produced a marvelous score (Fountain) and a couple of very good ones and a hit one (Requiem for a Dream) and is gifted with a very distinct, genuine and recognizable sound. Of course his best times are surely not a match to JNH's best ones and far superior, but they are far better than the latter's mediocre ones whom Justin elevates at God status and talks about Mansell like he is Tyler Bates or something. wink We're not comparing JNH with Mansell here though, that's not the point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008 edited
    Just noticed Mansells post on his blog when the concert was announced some time ago:

Last year,I won two awards for my score to The Fountain at the World Soundtrack Awards in Belgium!The organisers have asked me to perform my music at this years festival on October 16th in Ghent,Belgium.

I'll be performing music from my film scores with a nine-piece band which will include a string quartet,piano,guitar,bass,drums/percussion and keys/2nd guitar.My good friends the Sonus Quartet wiill be handling the strings and I'll be the keys/2nd guitar player.I'll let you know about the rest of the band as rehearsals progress.

The organisers have been wonderfully accommodating with me and have done everything they can to help me stage my performance exactly as I would like-many,many thanks to them for doing this.
    I hope that you can come along to the show and support,not just me and my music,but also the festival and the organisers so that they can continue to encourage and promote film music and film composers in this manner!

I'm excited-and somewhat terrified-of this but I'm really looking forward to it!I had a great time at last years event and met some wonderful friends who I look forward to seeing again and,perhaps,making a few new ones too!

Two weeks away!

And there's also a clip of his latest score The Wrestler, directed by Aronofsky, on his MySpace. The movie won the Golden Lion at the filmfestival of Venice. (http://www.myspace.com/mansellclint)

This score will also be performed at the concert, which is about two weeks! Also music from PI, Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008 edited
    As far as I'm concerned, Sahara is a high-class adventure score. It's the whole reason Mansell caught my attention in the first place. All of his other acclaimed works kinda roll off my back, yes even Requiem and Fountain.
    Not to mention Doom. vomit

But in the hopes that he'll bag another "Sahara", I'll keep routing for him. I say give him Robocop and other such promising projects because a composer's talents can't easily shine unless he's given good stuff.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2008
    New Mansell score?! WOW, CAN'T WAIT.

Heero mate, Sahara is the only Mansell score that isn't really mansell in sound and character. I, big fan of his "true" sound certainly believe (and hope) that he won't be returning back to that again, no matter how good it was; there are other composers who do THAT stuff way better.
  6. Presumably if he does a ROBOCOP score it's going to sound a bit like SAHARA... which means Nicholas Dodd will be playing 'orchestrator' again.

On the recent topic of whether he's any good. He's not bad, but personally I would not hire Clint Mansell if I were going to make a film. I can think of many stronger composers who would get my vote sooner, on just about any kind of project.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I, big fan of his "true" sound certainly believe (and hope) that he won't be returning back to that again, no matter how good it was; there are other composers who do THAT stuff way better.

His 'true' sound? You mean Pi? Requiem for a Dream? Hole? Sonny? 'Cause I'd say that, if you'd call something his 'true' sound, you can't put Smokin' Aces nor Definitely Maybe in that category, either.