• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    personally I would not hire Clint Mansell if I were going to make a film.

Likewise. Unless I was specifically making a sequel to Sahara I'm not sure where else I'd say he ticks all the boxes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    New Mansell score?! WOW, CAN'T WAIT.

Heero mate, Sahara is the only Mansell score that isn't really mansell in sound and character. I, big fan of his "true" sound certainly believe (and hope) that he won't be returning back to that again, no matter how good it was; there are other composers who do THAT stuff way better.

Well... I'd prefer to think of it in terms of versatility. Because if his "true" sound is all these other scores we've discussed, then I guess I can't personally say I'm such a big fan of it. Don't hate it, but not crazy about it. And even though he may not be as expert in the realm of adventure scoring as others are, I think it's a feather in his hat to prove he can do it, like Sahara proved.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2008
    Everything you mentioned can be enlisted in this category. As well as Abandon, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain and many of his smaller scores, lesser-known stuff. It all carries the same character and philosophy around the main theme and off sound textures that circle it, everything apart the larger-scale, more-direct orchestral approach to SAHARA.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    Together with Thomas I'm interviewing Clint Mansell tomorrow evening. We have our questiosn ready, but if you have one, please shoot now and perhaps we'll ask them tomorrow!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    -Many people have been using Requiem for a Dreams as temp score for their films. What do you think of this massive usage of one of your own scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I like that question. smile
    I play Requiem for a Tower a lot...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Joep wrote
    -Many people have been using Requiem for a Dreams as temp score for their films. What do you think of this massive usage of one of your own scores?

Already checked wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The interview has been delayed until tomorrow. His plane will not arrive on time. It is now planned just half an hour before Yared's concert!

Aaaaaaaaaargh!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    "If you had to write a score with a single note, which would it be?"
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. What do you think of MainTitles?

That I would ask, and then Bregt shows it on his IPhone biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    HeeroJF wrote
    "If you had to write a score with a single note, which would it be?"

F sharp, because it is the most intriguing note of them all! devil
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    actually, f-sharp minor has a very interesting sound
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    Of course I asked that question knowing I'd be completely unable to interpret the answer. Back in school we learned notes in terms of "do - ré - mi..." not "A - B - C". So I have no way to musically picture these notes you're talking about, or the "sharp" and "minor" vocabulary.

And yet I call myself an aspiring composer. spin Ah the miracles of technology, when a musically illiterate man can write full symphonic pieces.
  2. My questions for Mansell (sent via Bregt) were: (hope you don't mind my posting them here Bregt!)

DIDN'T REALISE THE COMPETITION WAS WATCHING
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Like Elfman wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    franz_conrad wrote
    My questions for Mansell (sent via Bregt) were: (hope you don't mind my posting them here Bregt!)

I think Bregt will show these questions on his iPhone as well. biggrin

Good luck with the interview Bregt and have fun at the concert. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    My questions for Mansell (sent via Bregt) were: (hope you don't mind my posting them here Bregt!)

The competition is watching. He'll hear these questions 4 times this evening. wink

Thanks Bregje. I wish you'd come for one of those as well. Or more people from this forum anyway!
    Kazoo
  3. Back from the interview with Clint, punk

Bregt's now enjoying the concert of Gabriel Yared so I want to give you a little head's up

first of all, we were fucking nervous but luckily this changed soon once we started talking. He's a very charming if somewhat uncertain kind of guy. He's totally blown away he has so many fans and that people get and like his music so much smile

He however likes and loves his moody intimate style, and a project like Sahara he wasn't that thrilled about. He wouldn't like to do something like this again.

He also doesn't prefer to read personal impressions of himself, because it would make him feel a bit uneasy (again that uncertainty I guess)

however, he's a big fan of John Carpenter's music, John Murphy (Sunshine and 28 Weeks) and hooray hooray for most he absolutely adores Hans Zimmer's The Dark Knight smile

His overall technique is just finding the right rhythm for the movies, so test trying multiple different musical materials and see which one works

and for all you lovers out there of the future Robocop project he had this to say
    He would love to implement Basil Poledouris' theme in the movie if the chance presents itself smile

More or less in a nutshell, we asked basically everything we wanted to ask, so it was fun smile
    He's also very affraid the concert tomorrow will fail, I tried to cheer him up that he should play his heart out and everything will turn out fine, he promised me he'll do just that smile

Woohoo
    now off to see Belgium lose in football biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What he told us about the concert tomorrow sounds awesome. This could be spectacular!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sound like you had a great time! How did he like the questions? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    What he told us about the concert tomorrow sounds awesome. This could be spectacular!

Alright! Give me all the details tomorrow at lunch.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    He however likes and loves his moody intimate style, and a project like Sahara he wasn't that thrilled about. He wouldn't like to do something like this again.

Oh...ok... sad
  4. Anthony wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Oh...ok... sad

yeah I was surprised by that as well, ahhhh at least he had a challenge with it he said smile

Christodoulides wrote

considering he answered on all I guess pretty good tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Oh...ok... sad

yeah I was surprised by that as well, ahhhh at least he had a challenge with it he said smile

Ah, well that answers that I guess. Too bad. It's kinda like Alex North having such a superb aptitude for huge epic scores like Spartacus and Cleopatra, but admitting publicly that he actually preferred the smaller intimate ones such as Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? A shame for someone like me who's obsessed with Spartacus, but I'm all behind composers having their personal favourite styles. Whatever suits them best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Oh...ok... sad

Christodoulides wrote

considering he answered on all I guess pretty good tongue

Sweet!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008
    Now i see the real reason why you all went to Ghent wink