• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2013 edited
    We could also do a picnic with food from Tesco or Waitrose. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2013
    Bregt wrote

In October? Brrrrrr.....could be a wet and cold experience.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Bregt wrote

you and your picnics, hikes and other crazy exterior excursions tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2013
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  2. BobdH wrote
    Great!
    I just realized I need to discuss this at work first just to secure I can take the time off, but if possible and you don't have any other takers, I'd probably like to buy it from you. Any good seats?

Nice one Bob, let me know. I'll check the seat number when I get home in a couple of days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2013 edited
    Maggie Jones apparently stops lunch at 2pm and opens for dinner at 6pm, so we fall right in the middle when the kitchen is closed. So the hunt for a restaurant at HS Kensington continues. As I've said earlier -- if there are any locals who could give me a recommendation, that would be great.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It's an area not to be at for food and drinks it appears. dizzy

Thor, you arrive on Saturday? Thomas and I will be there around 6PM. Care to have drinks and dinner and more drinks that evening? On Sunday perhaps some sightseeing. I want to visit the museum with the whale too!

So, it seems there's quite a bunch for the concert. Who else stays for the weekend? I know Jordi arrives on Sunday.

Sure: Thor, Thomas, Jordi, Basil, Jim, Fommes+1 and myself
    Not sure: Bob
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2013
    The museum with the whale?

The Natural History museum.

Approx 5 minutes walk from the RAH.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, we'll definitely hook up on Saturday, Bregt.

The plane lands at 16:30, then it's at least one hour+ to get to the hotel. Hopefully, we'll be ready too hook up around 7PM or so.

Then we can plan what we want to do.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote

Yes, that one! With the Darwin statue and dinosaurs too right?
    Is it worth it?

Other highlights beyond the usual stuff? Been a few times too London now...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not that keen on the Natural History Museum, to be honest. I was there when I visited London for the first time -- with my family back in the early 90s.

I'll have to think about other things to do. It's really only the Sunday that requires something. Maybe the noons of Monday and Tuesday too.

I'm more nervous about not seeing enough of Vienna!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes, that one! With the Darwin statue and dinosaurs too right?
    Is it worth it?

Other highlights beyond the usual stuff? Been a few times too London now...

'is it worth it?'

YES IT IS!

( I haven't got a clue what ruddy museum Thor visited rolleyes )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Well, Thor is surrounded by fjords. So it's already hard to impress Norwegian people.
    Kazoo
  3. Fjords designed by Slartibartfass.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Damn, this is difficult! What is this stupid British custom of closing down the place between 2PM and 6PM?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Damn, this is difficult! What is this stupid British custom of closing down the place between 2PM and 6PM?

Not in my city? ( in fact NOWHERE to my knowledge in my city ) Considering it's weekend, it's London............ I don't get it?? confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Well, Thor is surrounded by fjords. So it's already hard to impress Norwegian people.

Thor could hit himself in the face with his own twanger and still not be impressed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Not in my city? ( in fact NOWHERE to my knowledge in my city ) Considering it's weekend, it's London............ I don't get it?? confused

It's apparently customary to serve lunch to 2 and then nothing untill 6 when there's dinner. I can't think of a single place that does this in Norway. But maybe it's just the Kensington area?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Snotty, up-market old traditionalists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Indeed. smile

Anyways, I found a Lebanese restaurant that is open at that time, but they only accept set menus for £30 pr. person for the cheapest menu. It includes 4 dishes pr. person (two starters, a main dish and a dessert) and a bottle of wine for 4 persons. I know this is expensive to some, like Bregt, but I find it rather reasonable considering what you're getting.

It's frustrating because there's really a whole lot of variables in play here: It has to be close to the Royal Albert Hall, they have to serve dinners at 4PM, they have to house 15 people and it has to be a fair price. dizzy I'm not sure I can find something that satisfies all of that. And then there's allergies and vegetarians and what-have-you to think of.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Up until a couple weeks ago a picnic would have been a safe bet with the continuous and lovely summer we've had this year, now it's back to "good old" typical unpredictable English weather. rolleyes

Can't you just go for a pub lunch like we did a few years ago? Go for a restaurant when you have more time?
  4. Mc Donalds
    Burger King
    KFC
    Fish & Chips
    ?

Just saying ...

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Up until a couple weeks ago a picnic would have been a safe bet with the continuous and lovely summer we've had this year, now it's back to "good old" typical unpredictable English weather. rolleyes

Can't you just go for a pub lunch like we did a few years ago? Go for a restaurant when you have more time?

Yeah, that would be fine with me, but I think people are expecting something else with what I've set out to.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Are there high expectations? Really, I would make it as uncomplicated as possible before the concert.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Mc Donalds
    Burger King
    KFC
    Fish & Chips
    ?

Just saying ...

smile Volker

Fish & Chips? For good* Fish & Chips you need to go North of London...... like Sheffield, Leeds, York wink

*There are great ones in London too but probably miles out of your way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeah, that would be fine with me, but I think people are expecting something else with what I've set out to.

That's fine for me too. Some beers and the toasts like we had before Morricone? It seems difficult in this area. perhaps we can have a fancy dinner on Sunday or so?

But then, even finding a place for 10+ people with just snacks is not easier.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, it isn't. 15 people is a huge group. I haven't given up on a long table in a room with decent lighting yet! (as opposed to the dark cellar where we had our dinner/lunch three years ago).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin

You rent an apartment right? There should be a party there. tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I wish! smile

Actually, it's just a tiny room, but inside an apartment complex!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Mc Donalds
    Burger King
    KFC
    Fish & Chips
    ?

Just saying ...

smile Volker

Fish & Chips? For good* Fish & Chips you need to go North of London...... like Sheffield, Leeds, York wink

*There are great ones in London too but probably miles out of your way.

York ... A few days ago I saw someone around here wearing a t-shirt saying "I love York" in the "I love New York" design, you know, with a big read heart. That made me smile.