• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013
    John Barry comes from York so it must be great!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. a pub that serves burgers and chips is good enough for me Thor, anything's good if it aint one of Bregt's picnics, hikes or crazy exterior excursions wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013 edited
    Phew! A lot of work on this one, but I finally managed to find a good spot (I think).

I hope people like Italian, because the venue is The Spaghetti House: http://www.spaghettihouse.co.uk/restaur … igh_street

This was not as 'fancy' as the other places (which all demanded expensive, set menus), it's between the tube and RAH and the prices are very reasonable. Hope that suits everyone. I agree that a multiple-course dinner is not the best before a concert.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013 edited
    Sweet. Thanks a lot for your research Thor! beer
    Who could've imagined that in London it can be difficult to find food.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013
    Not difficult to find food. Only difficult to find with all those variables in play.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlingKong
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013
    Life would be incomplete without italian food! Good work on this Thor smile And looking forward to seeing you all!
  2. Looks perfect Thor, thanks a bunch for the hard work in finding a suitable place beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2013
    Morning all,

If anyone was on the fence about this concert and was unable to obtain a ticket, I have a spare. Happy to pass it on at face value, with the caveat that the buyer has to sit next to me. tongue
  3. Bob, my seat number is Arena B Row 16 Seat 13. PM me if you're still after it and I'll post it to you. On the other hand I'll understand if you want to go for Jim's ticket and sit with him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013
    Thor, about Saturday, we arrive around 6PM. We are not far from your apartment. Do we meet there around 7:30, and have some beers and dinner?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013
    Sure. I'm not sure where your hostel is, but maybe we could meet by the King's Cross tube station and then find something close by?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013 edited
    We are at Clink 78. I think yours is just 10 minutes walking.

Right in front of King's Cross entrance is good. See you there at 7:30PM!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013 edited
    13 minutes from you to me, according to Google Maps.

Yeah, King's Cross entrance at 7:30 is good. Hopefully, we'll find a place without the need for reservations.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013
    Thor, thanks very much for booking - and The Spaghetti House sounds perfect.

Are you starting the dinner already as early as 4 PM? (I think I read that at FSM.)

And I don't suppose there's some event where we can meet Elfman, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, we start at 16:00. I thought we needed 3 hours to get the "juices" flowing.

No, I'm not aware of any Elfman-meeting events. I've tried to get in touch with his management and the RAH press office about these issues, but sadly it doesn't seem possible.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013 edited
    Bregt wrote
    We are at Clink 78. I think yours is just 10 minutes walking.

Right in front of King's Cross entrance is good. See you there at 7:30PM!

Be aware that the entrance to Kings Cross station doesn't look like the StreetView picture any more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24274049
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    I would like a Elfman-meeting event. When George Fenton made a concert in the Barbican with the London Symphony Orchestra many years ago, there was a pre-talk with him and Stephen Frears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There is absolutely no Elfman meeting for this, unfortunately. Both Richard Kraft (his manager) and the RAH told me Elfman would not be available for any interview or other meeting during his UK stay. It appears he's being shielded as a Michael Jackson or something.

The RAH has been a pain in the ass, by the way. One thing is that I didn't get an interview (which is out of their hands, really), but they didn't even give me accreditation for photos. They're even worse than the friggin' Hollywood Bowl!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's a real shame Thor, if I'd been there I'd have liked to meet Elfman personally.

To think I had no problems meeting John Williams back in 1980? Somehow I don't think it would be the same if he played now.

Though I "infamously" got to go to John Barry's backstage party in 1998, the man was gracious enough to come outside to the front of the RAH to meet and sign for fans who had patiently waited. What a star!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...no, these days John Williams is shielded more than the Pope himself. I'm surprised he doesn't have his own Popemobile already (with speakers blasting the score to MONSIGNOR).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd pay to see THAT! Blasting out the Gloria no doubt!? biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Thor wroteThe RAH has been a pain in the ass, by the way. One thing is that I didn't get an interview (which is out of their hands, really), but they didn't even give me accreditation for photos. They're even worse than the friggin' Hollywood Bowl!

I wouldn't blame the RAH - they're only following the instructions of the concert producers. The RAH has always been very accommodating to me when they've been allowed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I have no idea who'll be there from MainTitles, during the whole weekend that is. I only know of Thor, Thomas and myself. That's good enough for drinks though!

Btw Thor, do you have glasses in your apartment? Because ... I can bring stuff now that you have to skip Ghent. angelic wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LOL....why do you keep thinking I have an apartment? biggrin It's just a small room. But let's not sit in them while we have access to all those great pubs!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jim Ware wrote
    Thor wroteThe RAH has been a pain in the ass, by the way. One thing is that I didn't get an interview (which is out of their hands, really), but they didn't even give me accreditation for photos. They're even worse than the friggin' Hollywood Bowl!

I wouldn't blame the RAH - they're only following the instructions of the concert producers. The RAH has always been very accommodating to me when they've been allowed.

Really? I've only dealt with the RAH press agency, not the concert producers. They've given out photo accreditations to several press people, but apparently we're not big enough (which is ridiculous, since we're one of Scandinavia's biggest film portals). Oh well. I guess that means they'll remove my camera by the entrance. slant
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anyone going to the Birmingham concert?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2013 edited
    Off to London now. Will see Thor and others over the weekend.

Also want to spend some time at one of the grand museums, and perhaps the cathedral. Have been there just very short while there was a concert/mass but it was impressive. Anyone know a good place to taste some British beers? We stay in the King's Cross area.

Anyone else? Send a PM.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2013
    So is there still beer left in London? How was the concert? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2013 edited
    Hi all! Just back from London with the Eurostar.

The concert was fantastic. From Mars Attacks to Batman to the Edward Scissorhands Suite. Marvallous performances with some rewritten for the concert pieces.

Elfman's singing and show, all solo songs in Nightmare before Christmas, was absolutely fabulous, one of the best concerts I've been to. He sang them all like it was 20 years ago, in the beginning quite shy and unsure, but near the end he was enjoying the hell out of it. He then said afterwards that this was the greatest moment of his life. The audience went mad during the songs from Nightmare. And then he did Oogie Boogie. You can imagine the explosion of happiness in the hall. What a joyous concert!

Also Helena did her part for the lament. She was very nervous but her entrance was as loud as that one for Elfman. The concert played pieces from all Burton's movies. That also included the main titles for Mars Attacks, which is one of my favourites, including a live theremin, which was just bloody awesome (and the oly concert on the tour with a live one). There was the gigantic organ for the 15 minute Batman/Batman Returns Suite.

The sound wasn't always ideal, it sometimes came off like a wall of noise but I don't know why that was (the accoustics? the aplifying?). Anyhow, it seemed to be fixed after some pieces.

And I met all of my great friends from here again (you know who you are), including Jordi, which was long ago. Also met a lot of FSM and a few other people which we had good chats with. As for London, we did see and visited a lot in the short couple of days we had. Primrose Hill, Regent's Park, Museum of London, West End, Camden Town, ... I myself also climbed Up to the St. Paul's Cathedral. As James and Timmer mentioned before, it's a fantastic building. Highlight was the Whispering Dome, that's just magic! The sights weren't bad either. And I've seen the dinosaur section of the National History Museum. What a spectacular place though, need to go back for the other sections.
    Kazoo
  4. That's odd... RAH has some of the best acoustics I've ever heard.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website