• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008 edited
    Nightmare on Elm Street (Freddy Kruger) I must say one of the most scary dudes invented

He definitely scared the s**t out of me when I was 12 years old, I couldn't even watch Nightmare 4 to the end... Such a brilliant concept as well. Now... he doesn't do anything to me anymore, he's too over the top. sad

Now, Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter certainly is a guy I'd never want to come across (untill I saw him in Red Dragon wink). But the scariest 'bad guy' I've ever seen, or the best portayal of one, must be Amon Goeth from Schindler's List. I don't know if he qualifies, since he's, well, not made up, but hell, that was intense! Ralph Fiennes' performance was just unflinching, unrelenting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008
  1. 1. Tie between: John Doe in SE7EN and Kayser Soze in THE USUAL SUSPECTS. Both are pretty remarkable, chilling characters, and both played by the same man.
    2. Tie between: John Malkovitch's character in IN THE LINE OF FIRE, and John Malkovitch's RIPLEY'S GAME.
    3. Ben Kingsley's character in SEXY BEAST.
    4. Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem) in NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN.
    5. Darth.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    1. Tie between: John Doe in SE7EN and Kayser Soze in THE USUAL SUSPECTS. Both are pretty remarkable, chilling characters, and both played by the same man.

And both film were released in the same year. shocked I remember watching both films back to back and being absolutely blown away by them... especially Se7en... and The Usual Suspects ending floored me!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    Why not six villains!

The Bad: Lee Van Cleef character on "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Medusa - "Clash of the Titans"

Clarence Boddicker - "Robocop"

Khan - "Star Trek 2"

Darth Vader - "Star Wars"

Agent Smith - "The Matrix"
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    1. Tie between: John Doe in SE7EN and Kayser Soze in THE USUAL SUSPECTS. Both are pretty remarkable, chilling characters, and both played by the same man.

And both film were released in the same year. shocked I remember watching both films back to back and being absolutely blown away by them... especially Se7en... and The Usual Suspects ending floored me!

-Erik-

Two interesting takes on the villain. One you kind of cheer for when he plays his card (Kayser Soze), the other prompts despairing shock with his big trick (John Doe).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Nightmare on Elm Street (Freddy Kruger) I must say one of the most scary dudes invented

He definitely scared the s**t out of me when I was 12 years old, I couldn't even watch Nightmare 4 to the end... Such a brilliant concept as well. Now... he doesn't do anything to me anymore, he's too over the top. sad

Now, Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter certainly is a guy I'd never want to come across (untill I saw him in Red Dragon wink). But the scariest 'bad guy' I've ever seen, or the best portayal of one, must be Amon Goeth from Schindler's List. I don't know if he qualifies, since he's, well, not made up, but hell, that was intense! Ralph Fiennes' performance was just unflinching, unrelenting!

Sure Freddy Krueger was creepy in his prime but then I grew older and watched Hellraiser: Pinhead absolutely kicks Freddy's butt.

Yeah Hannibal Lecter was a great character but then they totally destroyed his creepiness in the sequels, with absolutele lowpoint the ridiculous Hannibal from Ridley Scott. God I hate that movie! I just cannot watch Silence of the Lambs and not think about how they ridiculed him, so it takes all the evilness out of him.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. NunoM wrote
    Why not six villains!

The Bad: Lee Van Cleef character on "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Medusa - "Clash of the Titans"

Clarence Boddicker - "Robocop"

Khan - "Star Trek 2"

Darth Vader - "Star Wars"

Agent Smith - "The Matrix"

Some excellent baddies here, especially in Robocop, can they get more sadistic than Boddicker and his sick gang of guntoting cophating goons.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    Gotta say I disagree with the Medusa. For a 1981 movie it seems extraordinary that it used effects no better than the ones used for the 1933 version of King Kong.

I also find Khan to be an exceedingly boring villain. Perhaps my dislike is simply because I've never really cared for the early Star trek.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good call Michael.

Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast shocked

What a turn!? Easily one of the nastiest, vile bad guys ever with nothing redeeming about him.

Kayser Soze and John Doe? PAH! Don Logan would piss on both of em!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Tommy_Boy wrote

Heroes (Sylar) I must say Sylar was pretty scary up until the moment they showed his face, that Homecoming episode still gets me goosebumps every single time I think of it wink

Well, I thought Sylar was much more scarier when they showed his face. There's a quiet, insecure yet confident mood with a cold indifference that Zachary Quinto embodied quite well throughout his duration on the show.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Clemmensen
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Clemmensen

biggrin (in the "funny villain" section though).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Clemmensen

biggrin (in the "funny villain" section though).

He's not a villain, he's just a very naughty, naughty boy! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Clemmensen

hahaha!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Nautilus wrote
    Clemmensen

haha, the man who bashes Zimmer and adores Portman
    And than we Zimmer fans are biased tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008 edited
    Alien Queen? No way, she´s just a poor, misunderstood creature who tried to avenge her children... :tears:

Those are mine (in no particular order):

Pan´s Labyrinth: Capitan Vidal (what a bastard)
    The Black Hole: Maximilian (big, red, mean robot!)
    Gremlins: Stripes (pure evil gremlin leader)
    Highlander: Kurgan (of course you are)
    Quo Vadis: Nero (Peter Ustinov ruled!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    I'd personally opt for Senator Palpatine / The Emperor as my favourite villian of the piece, Good ol' Darth was always a bit too lovable to me. smile

Good point. It's a bit like Grima is evil while Saruman is the bad guy in a sexy way, hehe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Nice topic by the way! Villains are cool. cool

There are different categories indeed but what I understand from this topic is that it started about which character scares the shit out of you, right?

Well, when I was young and babysitted my cousins with my sister we always watched these horror movies The House or something? With a guy called Max Jenke... it was really scary then, hahaha. Good chance it's completely ridiculous when I watch it now.
    biggrin

The same goes for the It clown... brrrr.

So, this was what I found scary when I was young. Now I don't watch scary stuff anymore. But a villain is something completely different than just a scary character of course. I think the best villains are real, you still recognize the human side in there and that's what makes it's scary.

I thought Ralph Fiennes did a great job in Red Dragon for those reasons. Later on I caught a bit of Harry Potter on TV and I noticed he played the bad guy there too. I think he is really good at it.

The same goes for Jeremy Irons (I am thinking of the Lion King now and Die Hard for instance). I am going the other way round now huh? Actors who play good villains.
    smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I really enjoyed Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber in Die Hard punk

He was also great fun in Kevin Costner's supremely stupid Robin Hood : Prince of Thieves even though it was more of a "boo! Hiss! he's behind you" pantomime performance. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I haven't seen the other Die Hards but Alan Rickman is cool anyway. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Talking 'cool' bad guys, I also loved Jonathan Price's portayol of Carver in Tomorrow Never Dies. He obviously had a ball with his character. Such an underrated Bond-film as well...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    I haven't seen the other Die Hards but Alan Rickman is cool anyway. cool

I guess it must be Die Hard 2 that you saw then?

Speaking of Die Hard 2, it's snowing quite heavily here right now and the first thing that came to mind was Dean Martin singing 'Let It Snow' which I've always associated with the film ever since. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    With A Vengeance, that would be part 3 perhaps?
  5. Yup.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Yup.

That's right!

My mistake. wink
  6. No way to know before her second hint. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    BobdH wrote
    Talking 'cool' bad guys, I also loved Jonathan Price's portayol of Carver in Tomorrow Never Dies. He obviously had a ball with his character. Such an underrated Bond-film as well...

I have seen the film but don't remember the characters...
    So I IMDB'ed him and he's from Holywell, like our Alan??

Since we are mostly talking sexy bad guys now (or charismatic at least), I thought I should name some creepier ones: the bad guys in Stargate Atlantis are really creepy... the Wraith... eewwwww.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote

I'd say he was just about the best of a very weak bunch during all the Brosnan Bond films. Personally I liked that 'Onatop?' (sic) girl who had orgasms as she killed people in Goldeneye.

My list of all time best Bond villains...

Red Grant ( played by the late great Robert Shaw aka Quint in JAWS ) - From Russia With Love

Ernst Stavros Blofeld ( as played by Donald Pleasance and Telly Savales ) - You Only Live Twice & On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Auric Goldfinger - Goldfinger

Hugo Drax - Moonraker

Scaramanga - ( Christopher Lee ) - The Man With The Golden Gun

Oddjob - Goldfinger

Jaws - The Spy Who Loved Me & Moonraker

Mr. Wynt & Mr. Kidd - Diamonds Are Forever

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'd say he was just about the best of a very weak bunch during all the Brosnan Bond films. Personally I liked that 'Onatop?' (sic) girl who had orgasms as she killed people in Goldeneye.

Oh yeah. That was 'our' Famke Janssen cool