• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    Sorry if there's already an existing thread, delete it if there is.

I just wanted to say the ads on SoundtrackNet are getting ridiculous. They're taking over like the Borg.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    Have to agree. I used to visit the site daily, but I rarely stop by now. It used to be a great place for reviews and information/news on the industry, but I don't see the point of visiting it anymore. A real shame.

Edit: Whoops, read your post wrong, but I definitely agree about the ads, but does anyone know why they stopped (for the most part) posting score reviews and are writing film reviews instead?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oooooooh... Dan is going to have a field day with this one.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Oooooooh... Dan is going to have a field day with this one.

-Erik-

yeah, I thought it was a great site for numerous things, including news and the trailer resources. But now they do nothing but review movies, sad really sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I still read Mike Brannans reviews!
    They're great. One of my favourite reviewers.

Anyway, it just costs a lot to maintain such a huge website.
    I can understand the ads need there to be, and yeah, it's a lot.
    Block them by using AdBlock in Firefox, although, it doesn't always help.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    The score reviews they have are still great, I'm just wondering why the recent majority have been film reviews. I like to read film reviews, but there aren't a great number of sites where you can find well written and informed soundtrack reviews and Soundtrack.Net used to be one of those places. I would think (though could be wrong) that their primary readership would be more interested in score reviews as opposed to film reviews.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    David Koran (dak@soundtrack.net) is now co-editor-in-chief of SoundtrackNet, and it's really up to him to put up the content that everyone had been enjoying in the past, since I'm too busy with other projects at the moment to work on it. Sorry that the ads are so distracting, but that's not in my control!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008
    What ads? confused
    I see nothing as far as i'm concerned...
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I don't see ads either--but i agree, the film reviews are a waste of space. Go to DVDVerdict or something fro that stuff. But visitors must read them or they wouldn't continue to replace score reviews.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    msia2k75 wrote
    What ads? confused

I think he might be refering to the Google Ads and banner ad at the top of the page.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Erik Woods wrote
    msia2k75 wrote
    What ads? confused

I think he might be refering to the Google Ads and banner ad at the top of the page.

-Erik-

You guys need Firefox w/ AdBlockPlus!
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    tjguitar wrote
    I don't see ads either--but i agree, the film reviews are a waste of space. Go to DVDVerdict or something fro that stuff. But visitors must read them or they wouldn't continue to replace score reviews.

<shrug> well, you're more then welcome to contact David at the email address above and contribute reviews, etc....
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    dgoldwas wrote
    tjguitar wrote

<shrug> well, you're more then welcome to contact David at the email address above and contribute reviews, etc....

Hey, it's not my responsibility to make Soundtrack.Net more appealing to me personally (as if my tastes are going to generate more hits!)--like I said people obviously read that stuff, or they wouldn't be such a large part of the site.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008 edited
    tjguitar wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    msia2k75 wrote
    What ads? confused

-Erik-

You guys need Firefox w/ AdBlockPlus!

Ahaha, indeed i have that too and soundtrack.net is without any ads for me.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And what I dont get it why content is back-added (i.e it has an older date than content that already exists, however it goes up last).
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    And what I dont get it why content is back-added (i.e it has an older date than content that already exists, however it goes up last).

What do you mean?
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    tjguitar wrote
    Hey, it's not my responsibility to make Soundtrack.Net more appealing to me personally (as if my tastes are going to generate more hits!)--like I said people obviously read that stuff, or they wouldn't be such a large part of the site.

Well all I know is that the movie reviews are something I've been doing for years, but only after a database adjustment were they able to be posted on SoundtrackNet. That there are not as many SCORE reviews is a shame, but nothing is certainly stopping Co-Editor-In-Chief David Koran from getting the albums covered, either by himself or writers who had written for us in the past. I, however, am too busy with other projects at this time.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    dgoldwas wrote
    Anthony wrote

What do you mean?

For example, the review for Transformers went up on 12/18/2007. A week or so later the movie review for National Treasure 2 went up, but it still says it went up on the same day as the Transformers review.

Sometimes I swear I've seen this happen with stuff being posted from the "previous" month.

dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Anthony wrote
    For example, the review for Transformers went up on 12/18/2007. A week or so later the movie review for National Treasure 2 went up, but it still says it went up on the same day as the Transformers review.

Sometimes I swear I've seen this happen with stuff being posted from the "previous" month.

dizzy

Ah. Well, sometimes the movie reviews are back-dated to when they were actually written, and not when they were posted.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    Well this crosses the line - flash popups for the movie Walk Hard that cover half the screen and play audio by default. Come on.... sad
  2. I always felt Soundtrack.net was great. Amazing visual style and a wide range of content. But I have to agree that, of late, it has slowed down considerably and (at least on the face of it) is a bit movie-review oriented. That doesn't seem to fit with the thrust of the site ... or its name. I just can't see people going to soundtrack.net for moview reviews. Why not create a sister site for that?
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    Anthony, I can't see the ads you're getting since you're not in the same country as me. All I DO know is that any "obtrusive" ads can be avoided by just not moving your mouse over them, and then they won't expand.

DazzeldByYou - I am sorry you don't find the movie reviews useful (I always try to lean them a little more towards the music-side of things), but we have a decently-sized roster of writers who cover the soundtrack album reviews. It's now up to Co-Editor-in-Chief David Koran (dak@soundtrack.net) to handle review assignments and post them, so if the site seems "slow", you know who you should nudge. smile

Dan
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    lol, cheers Dan for putting up with all the abuse! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2008
    Why does Soundtrack.Net always have to have an ad for some awful horror film? I can't say I particularly like seeing gruesome ads every time I visit the site. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Anthony wrote
    lol, cheers Dan for putting up with all the abuse! tongue

He's used to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Indeedie wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008 edited
    After not visiting the site for some time due to the barrage of advertisements that attack you when you visit, it's a shame to see such a great site flooded with these advertisements still. Again, I'm sure they serve their purpose for funding and whatnot, so please don't bite my head off thinking I am having a go at Soundtrack.Net or indeed Dan Goldwasser, I'm not, but it does get to a point where the ads take over the website! (And it will resize Firefox into a small window to fit one of the ads that it has, which is highly annoying.)
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    As mentioned previously, you should talk with David Koran (dak@soundtrack.net) regarding anything related to the website.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Dan's retired. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    It's sad to see a film music website dying. sad