• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. On behalf of Timmer, Thor and my humble self: Tell us the amazing story of

What got you into film score?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. As a young child I used to replay themes and songs from my favourite TV shows on the piano. (Around 5 years old back in 1976.) My parents would start giving me LP compilations of such songs.

Later (10 years and on) I would record favourite tunes "through the air" from the speakers of our TV set.

Still later (14 years old) I would discover that film music was beeing published on LPs. My first soundtrack aqusitions were Return of the Jedi and Chariots of Fire

Still later (19 years old) I would buy my first score on CD: Dune by Toto. And so it began...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2013
    When I was four or five I heard my dad playing the Dances With Wolves score and thought it was magical manna from heaven.

Later on in my childhood my parents got me a few popular score albums like Star Wars and Jurassic Park, but more because I was interested in the films than the music for its own sake.

When I was 15 I got the Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack myself as soon as it came out, again as a way to experience the story through music, rather than an actual interest in film scores.

A few years later I started noticing the really fun music in films like Pirates of the Caribbean and Armageddon. So I sought out a few of those scores for their own sake, finding them at Barnes & Noble bookstores.

Then I went away to college for a year and discovered file sharing and discovered dozens of new scores but felt guilty about keeping them so that did not do much to expand my collection. When I got back home a year later and got a job and had my own money, I decided I was more interested in using my money to buy music than for anything else in the world. Prior to this I had mostly bought Christian pop albums, but at this point I realized that film scores were much more enjoyable and varied and so I started buying scores from Amazon every time I had any spare money. And now I have close to 1000 CDs plus many more pirated because I am now poor and in debt.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Star Wars. 'nuff said!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I was brought up on the original MCA version of Jaws - and I love it. I am so familiar with the subtle nuances of this recording. This meant that when I heard the OST it was almost like listening to a new score.

I love both versions and each one offers a different take on the same source material.

Very recently I became familiar with the Varese re-recording (NcNeely) - I hadn't felt the need to hear this as the other two were more than enough for me. But the re-recording also is worth hearing.

It only just struck me that JAWS might be the first soundtrack album I bought that was to a brand new release? Though the very first albums I bought were Geoff Love's cover versions of popular themes and the very first soundtrack I bought was GOLDFINGER and a Morricone double bill of FISTFUL OF/FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE I'm pretty sure the first score I bought after seeing a brand new film at the cinema was for JAWS.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think I've always had an awareness of TV and film music, I loved classical music from as early as I can remember though I think the only composers I could name back then were Tchaikovsky and Beethoven. Without knowing the names I do believe I was aware of music through the works of Barry Gray and John Barry mainly but also Edwin Astley, Ron Grainer, Henry Mancini and yes, even John Williams ( I was always excited by his Lost In Space *season 1* theme as a kid ), Bernard Herrmann and Mario Nascimbene also got into my conciousness through the work of Ray Harryhausen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Star Wars. 'nuff said!

-Erik-

So what was it? Some kind of instant epithany??
  3. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Star Wars. 'nuff said!

-Erik-

epithany

Sorry, I make 5000 errors here every day, but that sounds like Pontius Pilatus in "Life of Brian".

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2013 edited
    Now you're just being a puh...puh...puh...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I think I've always had an awareness of TV and film music, I loved classical music from as early as I can remember though I think the only composers I could name back then were Tchaikovsky and Beethoven. Without knowing the names I do believe I was aware of music through the works of Barry Gray and John Barry mainly but also Edwin Astley, Ron Grainer, Henry Mancini and yes, even John Williams ( I was always excited by his Lost In Space *season 1* theme as a kid ), Bernard Herrmann and Mario Nascimbene also got into my conciousness through the work of Ray Harryhausen.

You can add a few years on so some of the names are a bit different, but that's essentially my story too. I think I always liked it. I remember as a really young child trying to record end credit themes onto tape. The day I discovered that you could actually buy soundtrack albums was quite some day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek. 'nuff said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Star Trek. 'nuff said.

Do you mean the animated series? I'm surprised you were born back then - thought you were a bit younger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's an animated series? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2013 edited
    My path to soundtracks didn't lead from films, but from other music genres. From ca. the mid 80's and onwards, I started listening to prog rock, art rock, electronica etc. This was before my teenage years even. Basically everything that had a 'concept feel', except for classical which was too 'heady' at the time. At some point, I thought that maybe soundtrack albums had a similar 'concept feel' to them, so I started seeking them out. I can't remember the defining moment, nor if there ever was one. Maybe it was TWIN PEAKS (which I got on cassette years before my film music interest kicked in). Maybe it was lying on the floor and listening to the end titles to THE ABYSS that was playing in the VCR. Maybe it was JURASSIC PARK. I just can't for the sake of me remember. I know it must have been the early 90's.

Parallell to this, a passion for films also grew. Part of that film passion was to decipher the artform itself -- everything from acting to photography to directing to editing to...yes, music.

However, these two parallell interests are very different to me. As different as knitting and mountain climbing. They've never really crossed paths. The first is part of my music interest, the second part of my film interest.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    My path to soundtracks didn't lead from films, but from other music genres.

It doesn't show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    There's an animated series? uhm

Yes, you might also not be aware that there was an animated series called Henry's Cat, though that one didn't feature William Shatner.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Arnold's Bond music. Johnny English. Agent Cody Banks.

Clearly spy music had some sort of effect on me.
  4. Me and film music...

Well, the first soundtrack was the MC of The Lion King which we got very soon after buying the movie. It did get quite a bit listens from me and most of it was actually ignoring the songs and going straight to the score, but then my awareness wasn't existent.

The way my real passion started was for very weird reasons, admittedly, so it demands a bit of a backstory. Back in 1995 Sierra On-Line (who remembers that company?! Except Martijn wink ) released the fifth part of it's classic Police Quest series, called SWAT. It was about the anti-terrorist branch of Los Angeles Police Department, which has military training. It got me completely passionate about guns and things like that, especially special forces. I wasn't Internet-savvy at the time, so my knowledge was really small and I didn't research it, but I was playing around with toy guns at the tender age of 11.

In 1996 my brother told me he saw two great action movies about special forces in the cinema. One is famous only for probably the best and quick way to get rid of Steven Seagal in a movie and on this board for a rather mediocre Jerry Goldsmith score. Yes, that one. The other one was The Rock, which I saw on cassette and my brother told me how great the music is (he's not a score fan at all, actually). I bought the cassette in a newsstand (yes, imagine that!) and it got a huge workout. The credits listed three names: Nick Glennie-Smith, Hans Zimmer and Harry Gregson-Williams. Something made the name Hans Zimmer stand out. I started to use the internet and got on Filmtracks to get clips, etc. That's how my passion for film music and film started and that's how I started to dream of being a film director. Yes. It WAS a Michael Bay movie. Looking back, I must sadly say that it's basically really the ONLY Bay movie I find completely watchable (OK, OK, there's also Bad Boys and Armageddon is a lot of a guilty pleasure).

The next year or two years later, based on Filmtracks sound clips I asked my family, who were going to America for vacation to get me either Crimson Tide or Backdraft. They got back with a very hard-to-get copy of the original 1991 release of the latter (I still have a huge sentiment to that CD), which marked my first CD of film music. A bit later I somehow pulled out the cassette to The Lion King, looked at the credits and realized that that guy I like, Hans Zimmer, actually did THAT score. That was a bit of a shocker, but I recovered quickly.

There were composers except Hans, which I started to notice just by their sound in cinema. They were Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner and... Carter Burwell. I got an old Prague collection of Steven Spielberg themes, which I own to this day, but would gladly get rid of it (the performances are perfect, etc.). After seeing The Phantom Menace in cinema I bought it on cassette. Later one shop was closing and they had discounts on CD. One of things I bought that (except Hans' rather forgotten As Good As It Gets) was The Edge and the only reason why I didn't get the Lala CD of that score (which features a corker of a theme) is the huge sentiment which I have for what was the first Jerry Goldsmith addition to my collection. Now Goldsmith is second most-represented composer I own.

1999... Well, forgive a 15 year old kid for not knowing who Terrence Malick is. But this 15 year old knew who Hans Zimmer was, so (and after some issues to get tickets) I went to see The Thin Red Line. The score worked great and I got it some time (a year?) later in a store. I didn't listen to it much at the time though. 2001 was a moment of crisis in my liking of Hans Zimmer, but then I got to a store and blindly bought Hannibal which, at the time, ended up to be my all-time favourite score. I was an active reviewer already, I set up a private website on my high-school server (!) and did my reviews, but I also got in contact with some great guys. Two websites and like 6 years later (and 4 broadcasts of the Malick movie later) I wrote an article about the score to The Thin Red Line. I was set to be a Zimmer fan for life. I already knew more composers and OWNED more composers and actually started respecting and loving James Horner music (which I hated after hearing bits of Titanic, while I own it own and warmed up to it, I still don't think it's one of his best) and I reviewed more composers, obviously.

I believed my article was good. I was really proud of it (now I see it as somehow naive), so I decided to translate it to English. Bregt was great enough to host the English version. With some help of our own Ravi (who suggested me as a friend to him) and a bit of... should I say wishful thinking on my part? I posted the link on my Facebook and the next day got a very warm thank you from nobody else than Hans Zimmer... Little did I know it was just the beginning. The rest... is history.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. As with Tim, I think that I have always been aware of music used for TV and film. TV was a very important part of my life when I was young - I would prefer to watch TV rather than go out and play. And growing up in the late sixties and early seventies, TV themes were catchy and therefore memorable. Whether it was themes from British-made sitcoms such as Bless This House or Rising Damp (just two examples plucked out from mid-air), great shows such as Space:1999, Department S, Star Trek, The Persuaders and Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), and even sports shows (Grandstand, Sportsnight, etc), every genre of TV programme had great themes. And I haven't even touched on many of the US-based shows! I think that hearing these themes over and over again was the seed that led to where I am now.

I used to love it when we would have TV theme tune quizzes at high school (so that would make it after 1975) as I would know lots of them. I would get cassettes with collections of themes (but, even then, I would be disappointed when they were poor covers rather than the real thing) and I would play them to death. Geoff Love's LP, "Big Terror Movie Themes" - containing themes from the likes of Psycho, Jaws, The Exorcist (Oldfield's Tubular Bells), Earthquake, Airport '75 and (for some reason) The Executioner) - seems to be a milestone early on (released in 1976).

But it was Star Wars that was the first soundtrack that I received - as a Christmas present to go with my new mono cassette player. I don't really remember how the interest grew after that and I just have snippets of memories as my enthusiasm was sustained: always browsing in record stores looking for score LPs, recording music off the TV with my mono cassette player (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and The Final Conflict are two titles I always cite here).

I think that my interest has always been more to do with the music rather than its placement in the films - my early interest in TV themes must have latched on to the melodies rather than the drama. But as my interest in the music meant that I was watching the films (and to a lesser extent the TV shows) my interest in how the music was integral with the action developed too. (I remember, when it was just my cassette player and a VHS video recorder, painstakingly going through films like Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (music and film) noting down what was happening in the film with all the music on the LP!)

That's really what I remember from early on.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    recording music off the TV with my mono cassette player (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and The Final Conflict are two titles I always cite here).

This seems to be a recurrent feature in the histories of many film score fans, but I never did it. I think it must have been before my time. Did many of you do this?
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    recording music off the TV with my mono cassette player (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and The Final Conflict are two titles I always cite here).

This seems to be a recurrent feature in the histories of many film score fans, but I never did it. I think it must have been before my time. Did many of you do this?

I think that, at that time, this was really the only way to get a hold of the music to listen to over and over again. Back then you knew that a film would only be aired 1-2 times a year.

I can't recall whether I was just ignorant of the music being available on vinyl but access to these titles would not have been an option for me in Falkirk.

Roy Budd conducting the LSO for "The Fantasy Album"

http://www.discogs.com/Roy-Budd-Conduct … se/3691068

Was a 2-LP set (from 1984) that I remember I had to specifically order from the local record store for me to even hope to get a copy. But I must have had a way of actually finding out that it was available!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I did it and was probably not before your time!
  7. Captain Future wrote
    On behalf of Timmer, Thor and my humble self: Tell us the amazing story of

What got you into film score?

I tripped and fell in it and it wouldn't wash off.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2013
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Star Trek. 'nuff said.

Do you mean the animated series? I'm surprised you were born back then - thought you were a bit younger.

applause

Steven = geek fail
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I did! Lots of the end credit suites and main titles recorded with my fathers tape recorder!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    bunny
    Kazoo
  8. Bregt wrote
    bunny

Ah-ha! You found out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibk0LA3Unfk
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday evening, so let me expand a bit on my earlier gossip:

Early purchases in film music on CD were: The Mission (Morricone), and the compilations Williams did with the Boston Pops for Philips. Especially Out of this Wolrd was played ad nauseam. I'd make a copy of it on cassette an play it on my Walkman in the bus on the way home from school.
    Once I heared some beautifull music in some documantary about South America. Determined to find aut what is was I sent a letter (snail mail of course) to the TV station. They were kind enaugh to answer that letter. It was "On Erth as it is in Heaven". So that was the same guy who had composed all that amazing Western music! I got The Mission and a compilation of spaghetti western themes.
    About "Rain Man" I found out by whisteling the tune to the employees of a local private record store.
    And so it went on.
    Luckily, listening to progressive rock, The Beatles and film music rather than to chart hits, did not render me a misfit, for I had a couple of friends with excentric tastes in music, so that was all right. If the group of misfits is large enaugh it rivals the mainstream and that exactly was the case. Happy memories!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I did! Lots of the end credit suites and main titles recorded with my fathers tape recorder!

-Erik-

I even recorded from the TV with an old reel to reel biggrin ( there were cassette recorders by then, I don't/can't remember how the old tape player came into my hands. )