• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Tyler Bates will score "The Day the Earth Stood Still" rolleyes

Source: http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … still.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    Oh dear god. shocked

OH DEAR GOD!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    I'm sure we'll hear phrases like "Bates wrote a ground breaking score for this new and spectacular remake of a movie classic, covering the many acclaimed facets of his previous works, including the horrifying music of Rob Zombies' mighty remake of Halloween, in which he incorporated Carpenters infectious theme. Or the bonechilling darkness of the unique sound of The Devils Rejects. And lets not forget the electronic world music mix of 300, a score that brings up a refreshing style fitting the equally visionary images of the widely praised movie. "

You know.

Anyway, this assigment sucks.
    Bah!

slant slant slant slant slant slant slant
    Kazoo
  2. Don't know if this assignment sucks. Sometimes remakes can be good and sometimes they can be bad. Its alwait wait and see.

Alas Bregt is expecting rips in it wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote
    Tyler Bates will score "The Day the Earth Stood Still" rolleyes

Source: http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … still.html

I'd have thought a lot could be done with an updated reworking of this old classic given the right directer and cast.....and this isn't it!

and Tyler Bates? rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    (...)
    You know.

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Hopefully his score is a rewrite of Herrmann's original...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Why not Christopher Young? How can a director suddenly change and ask Bates?
    The director worked with him before on Emily Rose, which was a very good score!

That's like .... impossible?
    Kazoo
  4. Bregt wrote
    Why not Christopher Young? How can a director suddenly change and ask Bates?
    The director worked with him before on Emily Rose, which was a very good score!

That's like .... impossible?

True Young did wonderful work there.
    But still why do we bash something that is yet to be made?

Look at Shore's LOTR scores. Everybody bashing him because he was a dark composer before it. And then heaven opened up.

Man wait and see wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    Yeah ... well .... we're talking about TYLER BATES here.
    The only thing he has done well, was selecting a terrific cue ... to rip off.
    Kazoo
  5. That is the same deal
    Every composer will score a perfect score that you'll instantly like, even if you hated everything before or after it from him/her
    That's my policy wink

If it sucks after that you have my permission to bash him and the score wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Yeah ... well .... we're talking about TYLER BATES here.
    The only thing he has done well, was selecting a terrific cue ... to rip off.

Basically, yeah. The other day i heard his Halloween (2007) score; beyond words awful.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008
    Bregt wrote

I know who will say this.
    DANIEL SCHWEIGER!

I already can imagine him introducing Tyler Bates as if if were a god.
    I can't stand his voice but even less his unexplicable and press release guided taste.
    Just watch his top 10 of 2007 in the latest 2007 FMW magazine. Unbelievable.

Anyway, this assigment sucks.
    Bah!

slant slant slant slant slant slant slant

What was his Top 10 Bregt?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008 edited
    Download the latest issue here (January 8th): http://filmmusicweekly.com/

His top 10 scores (no particular order)
    American Gangster ( rolleyes )
    Beowulf ( slant )
    The Kite Runner
    La Vie en Rose
    Lust/Caution
    Ratatouille
    Sunshine ( rolleyes )
    Stardust ( rolleyes )
    There Will be Blood
    300 ( rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes )

I know it's all about taste, but he nominates on other criteria. So it's not all about what he nominated, but it's more how he talks and speaks. I can't stand it, it's not natural, it's fake, it's so damn press release influenced shit. Just read some of his sentences...
    Kazoo
  6. Yeah... this list is very funny. I can't imagine what Daniel Schweiger was thinking, doing that list... slant
    MuzykaFilmowa.pl
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Hopefully his score is a rewrite of Herrmann's original...

I'm not sure that a "modern-day" reworking of The Day The Earth Stood Still suit a reworking of Herrmann's score. I'd imagine that this new movie is going to be a bit of an action-fest.

But, Tyler Bates as the composer?! Not something I'm looking forward to. I did think that he did quite well with John Carpenter's Halloween theme recently - as well as material from Titus and Predator - but there are dozens of other composers who'd I rather have score this project.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. what is the problem here? You're attacking someone who hasn't had the chance yet to prove himself? I can understand the difficulties after 300 but nobody attacked him before 300.

I find this rather weak, once again any composer can bring you a score you'll instantly love or hate, but at least wait until we have heard it. I never expected anything yet hoped that Howard Shore was gonna blow us away with LOTR. Many people thought he was a bad choice as well.

Once again wait and then critisize him. Who knows it will surprise you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008
    Have you heard The Devil's Rejects?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008 edited
    Bregt wrote

Heh. I always laugh when the score is being brought up. I don't know if i should cry though as it's probably one of the most hideous pieces of music i've ever heard but yeah; for the time being i laugh.
  9. Bregt wrote

You can't seriously compare The Devil's Rejects and The Day the Earth stood Still?
    Once again nobody assumed it was gonna be a score like that before it was released. Again just wait and attack him after you've heard it.

My god, I don't think there's even a note writte and still you think you'll hate it. That's biased man tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008
    Even with that fact, there are 732 better choices. smile
    Kazoo
  10. Bregt wrote
    Even with that fact, there are 732 better choices. smile

arghhh I hope he surprises you silly with that score, you hear me Bregt? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    I'm with Tommy Boy. You can express excitement or lack of excitement over a composer assignment, but NEVER judge a score before it's out. Heck, Meco could be signed to do this, and I still wouldn't judge it before the score was out! You never know....
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I saw Bates' topic appear and I thought that I was going to have to put together a Top 3 list!!

What the hell! In the end it was quite easy - I only have 3 of his scores:

1. 300
    2. Slither
    3. Halloween
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    Is 300 really the composer's best score? If that's true, that just makes the whole plaguerism thing all the sadder....
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  12. Scribe wrote
    Is 300 really the composer's best score? If that's true, that just makes the whole plaguerism thing all the sadder....

I've not heard much of his work but 300 is the one I enjoy the most - maybe because it reminds me of Titus?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008
    DOOMSDAY sound clips and info

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8937
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Scribe wrote

I've not heard much of his work but 300 is the one I enjoy the most - maybe because it reminds me of Titus?

Why not just play Titus?

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    DOOMSDAY sound clips and info

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8937

Exodus and Finish Her Off! actually sound pretty cool. Too bad for the ones in between.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008
    It does have an 80's synth feeling...