• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008 edited
    msia2k75 wrote
    It does have an 80's synth feeling...

Oh, and I'm sure it's a very good choice for the film. I just don't like to listen to it that much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008
    Me neither. Pass
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Is 300 really the composer's best score? If that's true, that just makes the whole plaguerism thing all the sadder....

I've not heard much of his work but 300 is the one I enjoy the most - maybe because it reminds me of Titus?

Why not just play Titus?

wink

-Erik-

biggrin

If I have 300 in the car and not Titus, but I feel a bit like listening to Titus, at least I would be slightly pleased!? (Plus, I'd need to do a bit of better forward planning!)

Very lame argument, I agree.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Me neither. Pass

The clips didn't impress me one iota.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Is 300 really the composer's best score? If that's true, that just makes the whole plaguerism thing all the sadder....

I've not heard much of his work but 300 is the one I enjoy the most - maybe because it reminds me of Titus?

Why not just play Titus?

wink

-Erik-

biggrin

If I have 300 in the car and not Titus,

Well there' your problem. Why is Titus not in your car?! Throw 300 away!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008
    Review of DOOMSDAY by Daniel Schweiger, Bregt's favorite biggrin

http://www.filmmusicweekly.com/issues/F … 032508.pdf

Bates’ true accomplishment here is paying homage with an honest sense of creativity. He’s taken the John Carpenter sound to the next level with Doomsday. And if Carpenter had the musical budget to play with way back then, Escape From New York might have sounded a lot like Doomsday. And that’s probably the best compliment this die-hard, old-school electronic fan can give to Tyler Bates’ thrilling score. Doomsday is 1980’s synth Memorex, and then some.
  2. Before Bates is criticised for choosing 80s synths and the Carpenter-sound for this film, this is definitely what the directors were asking for. I know because another composer who was trying to get the project was asked to submit demos and told their reference points were 'John Carpenter / electronic scores'. He did so anyway, but obviously didn't get the project.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2008
    I'm sure it'll end up in Schweigers top 10 list of 2008.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2008 edited
    Just saw Doomsday, and the film is indeed an full-on hommage to the '80's movies of John Carpenter and (most obviously) the Mad Max films. In that light, Bates' score is pitch perfect, mixing the retro-vibe synths with modern day apocalyptic choir. Of course, there are plenty of generic parts and Rodriguez and Revell recently did a superior job with their Planet Terror, but ultimately, Bates delivers with a perfect mixture of styles. You might not like it, but it's exactly what the movie needed.
  3. Many people haven't heard Dawn of the Dead by Tyler Bates yet, I've mixed various tracks of the score in the trailer, see and hear for yourself cheesy

Dawn of the Dead (Vivian Attacks, Anna's Escape, We're Going To The Mall & Truck over Zombies) http://www.mediafire.com/?hxxxe3vmmjn
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2008
    I for one enjoy Tyler Bates music and Im looking forward to anything he comes out with.

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  4. ""The Day the Earth Stood Still"

Some or all of the score is recorded.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008
    Damn, I hoped to read it was rejected.sad
    Kazoo
  5. Give it time. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Isn't the release date for the movie December 12th? If it is eventually rejected it doesn't leave much time for producing something any better?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    An able composer needs 2 days max to produce something better than the mister.
  7. An able composer with 10 other composers at the ready. No composer can humanly do a full score in two days solely be him or herself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Was exaggerating to make a point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008
    Why all the Bates bashing? I like his work, think 300 is better than Titus, LOVE Slither and Dawn of the Dead, think Doomsday fits the movie perfectly and is very enjoyable... I see people knocking him as a hack all the time...and the only thing I can think to ask is "how many movies have YOU scored???"
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well if you're going to ask us that you might as well drop out from the film music boards completely.

As for the 300 better than Titus line, i don't think i'll personally even comment on that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    jedizim wrote
    Why all the Bates bashing? I like his work, think 300 is better than Titus, LOVE Slither and Dawn of the Dead, think Doomsday fits the movie perfectly and is very enjoyable... I see people knocking him as a hack all the time...and the only thing I can think to ask is "how many movies have YOU scored???"

If you could only comment on film scores if you had personally written some then this messageboard would be pretty empty!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008 edited
    As any board out there would too. My ass i'd be sitting around boards if i was paid millions of dollars to write music, even crap as the gent here.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    As any board out there would too. My ass i'd be sitting around boards if i was paid millions of dollars to write music, even crap as the gent here.

word
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. "Watchmen" recorded as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008
    THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

This release will be available to ship on or after 12/16/08.

Keanu Reeves
    Jennifer Connelly

The Day the Earth Stood Still is 20th Century Fox's contemporary reinvention of its 1951 classic.

Keanu Reeves portrays Klaatu, an alien whose arrival on our planet triggers a global upheaval. As governments and scientists race to unravel the mystery behind the visitor's appearance, a woman (Jennifer Connelly) and her young stepson get caught up in his mission and come to understand the ramifications of his being a self-described friend to the Earth. Rounding out the cast are Jaden Smith, John Cleese, Jon Hamm, Kyle Chandler and Kathy Bates.

This is the latest action-packed score from Tyler Bates, composer of the blockbuster and best-selling soundtrack 300.

20th Century Fox declares December 12 as THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.

Varese Sarabande Catalog #: 302 066 938 2
    Release Date: 12/16/08

1. Stars (:39)
    2. Mountain Climber (2:41)
    3. National Security (2:48)
    4. This Is Not An Exercise (:53)
    5. Do You Feel That? (2:00)
    6. Military Approach (1:07)
    7. G.O.R.T. (2:43)
    8. Surgery (1:31)
    9. Interrogation (2:33)
    10. You Should Let Me Go (2:25)
    11. A Friend To The Earth (1:55)
    12. Fighter Drones (1:24)
    13. Came To Save The Earth (:46)
    14. I'm Staying (1:11)
    15. Helen Drives (:45)
    16. Containing G.O.R.T. (:45)
    17. Orb Rising - The Day The Earth Stood Still (2:41)
    18. They're Not Afraid Of Us (1:21)
    19. Flash Chamber (:54)
    20. Helicopter Collision (5:14)
    21. See My Son (2:12)
    22. Cemetery (3:19)
    23. Distress (2:00)
    24. Wrong Place Wrong Time (:56)
    25. Aphid Reign (4:17)
    26. Power Down (:56)
    27. He's Leaving (1:50)
    28. The Beginning (1:11)

CD COVER:
    http://varesesarabande.com/details.asp? … %2D938%2D2
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008
    THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

SOUND CLIPS

https://www.colosseum.de/colosseum/prod … 5e2aec3219
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    SOUND CLIPS[/b]
    https://www.colosseum.de/colosseum/prod … 5e2aec3219

vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008 edited
    Compared to his earlier works, the samples sound somewhat good IMO.
  10. Nothing we haven't already heard in 3758 different MV scores...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008
    Yeh, but still much better than his previous stuff IMO.