• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    All the ingredients for something interesting is there but he just doesn't have the talent/inclination (or direction) to actually do something interesting?

Exactly. Or the director told him he didn't need to write something substantial, since the film uses for about 80% songs from the era (Bob Dylan; Janis Joplin, etc.) or good source music (Philip Glass; Mozart). One of our editors has seen the film for review, and he says the score doesn't have a big part at all, it's the songs that are pushed forward (the fact we got a 44 min. scorerelease of a 163 min. long film seems to underline this). However, for Bates, it translates very quickly into "he isn't able to produce the kind of music that stands out".
  1. I'm sitting listening to the audio clips at Amazon again and I must have only listened to the first 3-4 the last time and it was this that gave me the impression that this could be a good score.

Tracks such as "Rescue Mission", "Don't Get Too Misty Eyed" and "Silk Spectre" all sound worth hearing in full but then after that it's all just one long drone.

A lucky escape - but I may get a few select tracks for my player.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2009 edited
    Tyler constantly feels like a lost little boy with lots of flashy and expensive toys; only he hasn't got the slightest idea on how to use them in order to be coherent or have the toys work with one another under some kind of melody, rhythm, theme, or STRUCTURE nonetheless. He's lost, he creates random chaotic soundscapes, his music doesn't have a PURPOSE OR A MEANING, nor a dramatic substance and certainly not any kind of musicianship in it.

Ring any bells? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. shocked

Indeed! He did learn from Justin!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009
    From an Amazon.com user review of Bates' new Watchmen score...

The first thing that I noticed while listening to this soundtrack were the movies or composers it sounded like.

The rest of the review made it clear that this person had no prior knowledge of Tyler Bates before listening to the score smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2009
    I heard it, it's an electronically-killed and blown out version of 300.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2009 edited
    Just noticed the credits on the back cover of a new Bluray version of 300 coming out this december:

music by TYLES BATES*

*Derived in Part from Pre-existing Compositions Not Authored by Tyler Bates

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ … ience.html

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2009
    HAHAHAHAH you've got to laugh your ass of with this one! Hilarious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2009
    Indeed! lol
  3. Haha, Bregt's not here so I can easily bring you following reviews of Tyler Bates work wave

- The Day the Earth Stood Still
    - Doomsday

Bregt will probably delete it once he returns, but for now Bates rules on Maintitles
    Man, now that's a sentence I never thought I would say confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Thanks for hosting yet another review of mine, Thomas! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    now Bates rules on Maintitles

I didn´t want to, but you deserve it....

Koko.....Koko.....Koko.....Koko.....Koko.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, it's the only place he'll ever rule anyway wink But that will be over just when Bregt gets back;

or when one of the 2 supermods bans you for life. kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2009 edited
    My review of Bates' 2008 The Day the Earth Stood Still... I hope I wasn't too harsh. tongue biggrin Ratings have now hit a new low in the history of MainTitles.
  4. Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    now Bates rules on Maintitles

I didn´t want to, but you deserve it....

Koko.....Koko.....Koko.....Koko.....Koko.

where the bugger anyway? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    William wrote
    My review of Bates' 2008 The Day the Earth Stood Still... I hope I wasn't too harsh. tongue biggrin Ratings have now hit a new low in the history of MainTitles.

You're my friend!

My review of 300:
    http://scoremagacine.com/Resenas_det.ph … mp;letra=0
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, it's the only place he'll ever rule anyway wink But that will be over just when Bregt gets back;

or when one of the 2 supermods bans you for life. kiss

supermods you may be, but you may want to look at the about button below and read the following

"All did reviews or wrote articles for their or other websites and now bundle their forces to bring you a wide look on film music, from Hollywood to the smallest Mongolian movie score"

And I just did that and they are still complaining wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote

You're my friend!

My review of 300:

Your spanish is pretty good tongue
  6. William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

no problem, you definitely listened to my advice, very nice work here beer
    keep up the good work of beating a score to the death
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote

You're my friend!

My review of 300:

I have no idea what they wrote; they might as well have put words into my mouth biggrin tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote

You're my friend!

My review of 300:
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote

You're my friend!

My review of 300:

You're my friend, too! wave And BtW, nice review of 300! biggrin beer
  7. William wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote

You're my friend!

My review of 300:
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote

You're my friend!

My review of 300:

You're my friend, too! wave And BtW, nice review of 300! biggrin beer

stop bragging about that other review, and praise mine
    at least mine's fair tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, mine's fair too if you read it! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote

You're my friend!

My review of 300:

I have no idea what they wrote; they might as well have put words into my mouth biggrin tongue

A very accurate translation wink

For a second I´ve thought you originally wrote it in spanish shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Well, I tried to make this one at least a bit longer; I think it is more the scores with a bazillion tracks such as Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium and this one which I tend to struggle most with. As I feel it would take an eternity to detail each individual track, I tend to group them based on overall sound and mood. As I move onto reviewing shorter CDs, my reviews will likely become much more focused and descriptive. But reviewing thirty or so tracks - regardless of their lengths - is a daunting task, to say the least. But with all that aside, I really do appreciate the opportunity to get some of my reviews hosted here! beer And I love beating scores to death. biggrin
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, mine's fair too if you read it! smile

well, your review is very good too wink
    You take in consideration more the fact most of it is influenced or stolen and that you take down in the rating

I do the same but appreciate more the effect it gives in the movie, and I take in the rating as well smile
  9. William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Well, I tried to make this one at least a bit longer; I think it is more the scores with a bazillion tracks such as Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium and this one which I tend to struggle most with. As I feel it would take an eternity to detail each individual track, I tend to group them based on overall sound and mood. As I move onto reviewing shorter CDs, my reviews will likely become much more focused and descriptive. But reviewing thirty or so tracks - regardless of their lengths - is a daunting task, to say the least. But with all that aside, I really do appreciate the opportunity to get some of my reviews hosted here! beer And I love beating scores to death. biggrin

You will learn that not all tracks must be commented on, just the ones that matter. Of course if an album carries that many good tracks, then that's different wink

And I love beating trash as well, Babylon is fairly good at that point smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

You will learn that not all tracks must be commented on, just the ones that matter.

Good point. I never really thought about that. smile
  10. William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

You will learn that not all tracks must be commented on, just the ones that matter.

Good point. I never really thought about that. smile

first I say write longer, you do it
    then I say do not comment everything, I must make you quite dizzy cheesy