• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017
    I recently finished Neil Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book". It was excellent, and my first book by Gaiman.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  1. Wind, Sand and Stars (1939) - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

In German translation. A book that I meant to read for long time. Following that probably

Lost Horizon (1939) - James Hilton

I'll read those successively due to some thematic similarities. I was unaware that both books were published in the same year.

Volker
    "Did you see anything out there?" - "No. Why? What happened?" - "The ship just got herpes."
  2. Caliburn wrote
    I stopped reading books when I got a TV in my bedroom ages ago. I now started to dabble into audio books and that REALLY works for me. I am now in my second Dark Tower book. I missed Stephen King, he was my favorite writer when I stopped reading.

I have little vampire thing going currently. I re-read Stoker's Dracula, then read King's Salem's Lot and then Rice's Interview with the Vampire.
    King's take on the vampire genre left me somewhat disappointed as I have that aristocratic concept of vampires. [spoiler]When things get viral the book turns into a zombie story IMO.[/spoiler]
    I'm no King expert. I am familiar with Night Shift, Pet Sematary, Rvival and Salem's Lot. Also a few film adaptations. I'm no horror fan in general.
    So far I always found Kings prose lacking proper characterization and character development. He knows how to trigger your primal fears for sure, but his prose never really connected with me.

smile Volker
    "Did you see anything out there?" - "No. Why? What happened?" - "The ship just got herpes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTime6 days ago
    Captain Future wrote
    So far I always found Kings prose lacking proper characterization and character development. He knows how to trigger your primal fears for sure, but his prose never really connected with me.

smile Volker

That's interesting, because for me it's the exact opposite. As a teenager and young adult, I swallowed King because of the horror and suspense elements; the stories themselves. As did most other young guys.

But he's continued to be my favourite author in adult years as well, and I think a lot of it has to do with the prose. The way he uses sentence tempo to add suspense -- in climaxes, they get shorter, and sometimes there's just a single word. The way he spends time on exposition before the action takes hold, and then when it DOES take hold, it moves swiftly. The way he goes into the characters' minds and describe the turmoil the way very few of his film adapations have managed.

In fact, I'd say his prose is very much close to my own when I do (or rather did) fiction. A huge inspiration, at least.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTime6 days ago
    I never had any problem connecting to King: he REALLY knows how to get under your skin, and I find his characters mostly compelling (and very believable).

I hear what you're saying about his take on vampires, but you have to remember this was WAY before the 'zombie outbreak and variations' craze that we've been seeing these last twenty years or so: his feral vampire was something really quite new, and it absolutely scared the shit out of me when I first read it back in the eighties.

Interview With The Vampire to my mind is probably the only worthwhile entry in the -hapily fairly shortlived- 'moody, emo, sulkingly sultry, and ultimately interminably boring vampire' phase. I kinda get what she's trying to do, but GOD, it gets on my nerves. It just goes on and on and on and on. Ugh!
    The film is not much better.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTime6 days ago
    Martijn wrote
    Interview With The Vampire to my mind is probably the only worthwhile entry in the -hapily fairly shortlived- 'moody, emo, sulkingly sultry, and ultimately interminably boring vampire' phase. I kinda get what she's trying to do, but GOD, it gets on my nerves. It just goes on and on and on and on. Ugh!

But WHAT a score!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTime6 days ago
    I ain't disagreeing!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Rice's Interview I found intriguing. She uses the whole vampire thing on a metaphorical level. And that is what I call a character study! I thought, wow, this is like Herbert's Dune: She takes genre fiction and elevates it to a whole new level.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTime6 days ago
    Yeah, I could never stomach Herbert either.
  4. I love him, but I have jet to read his non-Dune work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTime5 days ago
    For me I'm reading abou Lincoln Rhyme (The Bone Collector movie starring Denzel Washington). The author is Jeffrey Deaver.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTime5 days ago
    I just picked up a book called THE RECOGNITIONS. I'd heard a lot about it, and the passages i'd read were spectacular! People call it extremely difficult, but I read the first 21 pages, and apart from keeping track of several flashbacks, it was not bad at all. And extremely beautifully written.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTime5 days ago
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

But WHAT a score!

love the score, is amazing. the movie, nah at all. hate the whole gay emo 90's phase, very glad we are finally over it with the all-dead horrible twilight saga being the sad tombstone of all of this smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. I have zero interest in that Twilight vampire stuff.

I today started reading The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge
    It seems quite promising.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTime5 days ago
    I too enjoyed the score
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTime5 days ago
    I'm reading the Lincoln Rhyme novel