• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. John Sclazi's The Collapsing Empire

Wow, this is an homage to Asimov's Foundation series if ever there was one. (The original Foundation, before he blended it with the Robots universe.) Well done and fun to read.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2018
    I'm reading Alexander Theroux's "Darconville's Cat", one of the forgotten masterpieces of the twentieth century.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  2. Never heard of that one. I once did read Wilson's "Schrödinger's Cat" trilogy. Not that one had anything to do with the other. smile
  3. For some reason I associate it more with The Hound of Baskerville wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I haven't read a fiction books in fucking ages.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote
    Never heard of that one. I once did read Wilson's "Schrödinger's Cat" trilogy. Not that one had anything to do with the other. smile

well if you like highly inventive books, I'd recommend the Theroux book. There's all kinds of fun in it, chapters in poetry, Shakespearean plays, lots of hilarious lists, etc.
  4. Sounds like something that could interest me. Besides, I fully expect you to tackle "Finnegans Wake" next. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2018
    Captain Future wrote
    Sounds like something that could interest me. Besides, I fully expect you to tackle "Finnegans Wake" next. biggrin

after I finish Ulysses, that's actually next on my list! I read the first chapter of the Wake a while ago. It is definitely not gibberish, but the few hints of intelligible English are hidden under mounds of complex puns and foreign languages, which makes reading it feel rather like a dream; bits of understandable coherence among sludge.
  5. Fuck Finnegans Wake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2018
    I recently read Italo Calvino's short novel "Invisible Cities" structured as a conversation between Marco Polo and Kublai Khan, during which Polo describes the cities he has visited on his travels, but it is in truth a meditation on experience and how it is constructed and revised. It is a masterpiece, profound and moving, and the last paragraph gave me goosebumps. A must read.
  6. Ready Player One - Earnest Cline

I didn't see the film in cinema and wanted to read the book before I would eventually see the film on BluRay. I have advanced to page 100 right now (of roughly 500) and can't say it has gripped me so far. Which is curious since I am a child of the 80s and a science fiction buff. I was never into video gaming but still I get most of the references. But for some reason I find that constant fan serving nerding around, that mono-thematic approach rather boring. The characters also feel one dimensional and stereotyped. I don't know if this will eventually evolve into a thriller. I hope the long build up pays off.

Volker
  7. It's not a very well written book. Killer concept, poor prose and characters. In fact I prefer the film for that reason.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2018
    It's a geeky wet dream, and Wade is a bit too infallible. But I enjoyed it. I'm not sure a supposedly grown man of 30 should admit to liking a YA novel, but there you go.
  8. The implied message of "immerse yourself to an unhealthy degree in your hobbies and interests and it will one day make you rich and successful as opposed to broke and miserable with no clue what to do with your life" also rubs me the wrong way. That one hit a bit too close to home.
  9. A very good observation. The book makes me look at my scifi bookshelf and the DVD board with mixed feelings.
  10. I just finished reading:

The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
    (The two volume edition from Gollancz.)

I was totally ignorant of both, author and title, until I read an obituary in a newspaper when Wolfe died this year.
    A classic of "dying earth science fiction", in terms of character development and world building this compares easily to works by Herbert, Banks or Baxter. The plot builds up slowly, many questions gent answered only in the final chapters of part four. So you need patience.
    I thought this was a very rewarding read. There is sequel, which I will read eventually.

smile Volker
  11. Currently I have a subscription to the magazine, The Economist, which is a weekly current affairs 'newspaper'. I love its coverage of UK and international news, business and science/arts. The problem is is that it takes me a week to read through it before the next one arrives. But it's such an easy and informative read.

When I have time to read something else I am reading through Royal S. Brown's Film Musings, 'a selected anthology [of film music-related reviews/articles] from Fanfare magazine.' I really like how Brown covers lesser known titles that rarely get reviewed on review sites alongside the bigger titles that everyone reviewed. The anthology runs to 2001 but it's an enjoyable read.

I can't remember the last time I read a book of fiction.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2021 edited
    Do you have Brown's OVERTONES AND UNDERTONES? I consider it one of the most important film music books of all time. Quite academic at times, but that's part of the appeal to me. Some truly insightful observations. The chapter on Godard & Duhamel's PIERROT LE FOU was of particular importance to me when I used the book extensively (even for my thesis) back in the early 2000s.

For our next Zoom chat, I would love if people picked out a selection of their film or film music books to show (if you have some).
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Yes, I have OVERTONES AND UNDERTONES. It is an excellent book.

Just had a quick count of my film music-related books and I currently have 40+ books of one sort or another that are related to film music. Though some are way too academic for me to understand.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  13. I have a few. Mostly ones with interviews, but a couple more academic or in-depth ones too. smile