• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009
    I loved THE CORE. Totally entertaining sci fi! Can't remember much of the score, though, but I'm sure it was great.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    ^ What's on it? Is it that short one with the three main themes and a couple of action cues?

Oui!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    I´d say the film is FAR below Hollywood blockbuster stuff (for starters, the cast is one of the worst enesembles I remember).

Really? Didn't really see much to separate it from most of the middle-ranking blockbusters really. Stupid, but fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    I´d say the film is FAR below Hollywood blockbuster stuff (for starters, the cast is one of the worst enesembles I remember).

Really? Didn't really see much to separate it from most of the middle-ranking blockbusters really. Stupid, but fun.

Well, what I meant was that Armageddon is top notch hollywood blockbuster while The Core (or Deep Impact among others) are in an inferior league.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Southall wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Going to watch "The core" tonight (thanks in advance for any condolences offered).

I'm not familiar with either the score or film. Are there any scenes where the music is breathtaking, and where I should pay extra attention?

Peter smile

The film is standard silly Hollywood blockbuster stuff. The score follows suit, but is hugely enjoyable.

I enjoyed the movie immensely, the score is brilliant punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thanks for the opinions guys. I shall peak my ears. If the movie sucks too badly I'll just close my eyes and listen to the music.

Thor wrote
    I loved THE CORE. Totally entertaining sci fi! Can't remember much of the score, though, but I'm sure it was great.

Had you not included those 5 last words, I think there's a very real chance you would have been lynched.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009 edited
    I'll probably get lynched now, but I kinda enjoyed the flick, and the score didn't catch my attention at any point. It just seemed kinda generic to my ears.

But obviously I'm missing something. Perhaps because I've never been into that big orchestra Hollywood sound, but prefer nice and catchy melodies instead.

I'd like to be proven wrong though, as I feel I'm missing out on something good. So what is the best possible track on the album (i.e. catchy theme) to convert me with? I will go to Streaming Soundtracks and play it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote

Well, what I meant was that Armageddon is top notch hollywood blockbuster while The Core (or Deep Impact among others) are in an inferior league.

I much preferred The Core to Armageddon. Actually when I originally typed my post above (the one you replied to) I actually said "Didn't really see much to separate it from most of the middle-ranking blockbusters really. And of course it's way above things like Armageddon" - but I decided the second sentence was so obvious it didn't need saying. Clearly I was wrong!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    I much preferred The Core to Armageddon.

Couldn't agree more. I normally never fringe vote on imdb, but I found "Armageddon" so extraordinarily crappy that I had to give it a 1.

"The core" got a 6.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Clearly I was wrong!

Indeed, you ARE wrong tongue wink
  2. plindboe wrote
    I'll probably get lynched now, but I kinda enjoyed the flick, and the score didn't catch my attention at any point. It just seemed kinda generic to my ears.

But obviously I'm missing something. Perhaps because I've never been into that big orchestra Hollywood sound, but prefer nice and catchy melodies instead.

I'd like to be proven wrong though, as I feel I'm missing out on something good. So what is the best possible track on the album (i.e. catchy theme) to convert me with? I will go to Streaming Soundtracks and play it.

Peter smile

I Liked the film too Peter, so you won't get lynched wink
    Sadly I discovered whilst watching the movie, that the score is pretty hidden under the SFX and sound design of the movie, so I never expected this score to kick ass when I finally heard it on CD

As for a favourite track, my choice would be Liberte (the first cue of the second disc)
    or pick one yourself if you think I write good, decent reviews tongue
  3. Regarding that Armageddon vs. The Core thingy, I find them both to be on an equally entertaining level, but they reach that level by different means.

I love the characters of The Core and how they interact with each other. I mean, we DO have a great list of actors in it, and they really seemed to have fun doing that stuff, pretending not to know which kind of movie they were in. The actors in Armageddon obviously know what kind of movie they are in, and it shows. But they are much better looking, so there you go.

The effects work in both movies is superb; Armageddon just has that special extra drive, but The Core has the übercool Space Shuttle landing in that LA canal thing. It´s not the movie´s fault that dear Columbia died so horribly just a week before the movie´s release which made the whole scene very awkward, but watching it today just makes me grin endlessly.

The humour is very different in both movies, but I enjoy both versions for what they do.

The score is obviously very different, too, and again, both succeed.

So, I like them both. I don´t love them like I do other stuff, but they are well photographed, entertaining movies which I wouldn´t mind watching again any time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Armageddon is so cheesy it makes you wanna throw a brick on the tv screen. The core makes you feel the same just for being so ridiculously crappy. As for the music:

THE CORE, here.

Armageddon, right around here.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009
    The only way to watch Armageddon is with friends after a skinful of beer biggrin

Any other time and you are watching complete and utter time wasting rubbish.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    The only way to watch Armageddon is with friends after a skinful of beer biggrin

Any other time and you are watching complete and utter time wasting rubbish.

Oh, yes, I forgot to add that. You NEED to loosen up a LOT to enjoy Armageddon, while the Core experience wouldn´t change whether you´re stoned or not (not that I tried that one out, I´m merely guessing).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I Liked the film too Peter, so you won't get lynched wink

Phew! wink

Thomas Glorieux wroteSadly I discovered whilst watching the movie, that the score is pretty hidden under the SFX and sound design of the movie, so I never expected this score to kick ass when I finally heard it on CD

Indeed, that's probably what coloured my impressed as well.

Thomas Glorieux wroteAs for a favourite track, my choice would be Liberte (the first cue of the second disc)

Thanks, will listen to the track and read the review.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    As for a favourite track, my choice would be Liberte (the first cue of the second disc)

I've listened a bit now and Liberté is indeed a pretty nice and heroic track. Me likes. I also enjoy "The terranaut march" even though it's a bit too Marsy.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I heard that the DRAG ME TO HELL movie is exceptionally awful, a friend couple of mine who are usually fans of this kind of films and horror / thriller flicks in general, walked out the theater for the first time in their lives.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    thier tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    I heard that the DRAG ME TO HELL movie is exceptionally awful, a friend couple of mine who are usually fans of this kind of films and horror / thriller flicks in general, walked out the theater for the first time in their lives.

I don't get people who do that. When I see a movie, no matter how crappy, I have to see it to the end. And especially with a horror. In my opinion, the worse a horror movie is, the better it is.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote

It would have been great as a 30 - 40 minutes part of a new Creepshow movie. But as a 100 minute film, it is simply too much, with really ridiculous sequences. Some funny moments though.

Fortunately, Young scores it with expertise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009 edited
    Main Titles from Drag me to Hell (scroll down).
    • CommentAuthortimme
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009
    This sounds great! It's been a while since Chris Young has composed music like this. I didn't care much for Untraceable and The Uninvited.
  4. I think that a lot of credit should go to Lakeshore for releasing Drag Me To Hell (eventually). It's a very difficult listen and they can't have thought that it would sell very many units. But it's a very worthy release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    What's his next project?
  5. Drag Me to Hell Too: A Date With Pinhead.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. applause
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Drag Me to Hell Too: A Date With Pinhead.

hehe, good one smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009
    Anyone know who did the violin solos on Drag me to Hell? I'm excited by this one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009
    msi2 wrote
    What's his next project?

Creation by Jon Amiel - already recorded, mixed and dubbed
    Unthinkable by Gregor Jordan (The Informers)
    When In Rome by Mark Steven Johnson (Ghost Rider)