• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011
    I was about to say "Finally, MGR is doing pressed CDs" when I clicked on the preorder link. Then my heart sank when I saw the CD-R note.

Stupid Sony...
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2011 edited
    How cool is Chris Young smile A little light-headed and tired but very informative and also fun video.

part 1 (pretty valid points about modern film music and orchestrators)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZH5m8hSdho
    part2 (tour in his studios)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7gXmtF5FGs
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    How cool is Chris Young smile A little light-headed and tired but very informative and also fun video.

part 1 (pretty valid points about modern film music and orchestrators)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZH5m8hSdho
    part2 (tour in his studios)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7gXmtF5FGs

Interviewer is a bit too "fan"-y (fanny?), but interesting to see his condo!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011
    Yeah, he annoyed me too, but i quickly ignored him and focused on Young's sayings. MAkes some pretty good points in part 1
  1. My first shot at watching the videos didn't go too well: not a well thought out first question, poor preparation and rambling. Moved on to something else.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011
    Priest is great! All the tracks are really really good, but my favorites might be Cathedral City Blue and The Vampire Train. Vampire Train is a rush of an action track. I can't compare Priest to many of his older works because I haven't listened to much Young for some reason, no more than a track or two from Drag me to Hell or Hellraiser, but from what I've heard I'd say it's a little more restrained but right up there qualitywise.

Priest also reminded me that I always meant to buy Young's Creation and never got around to it. I listened to some samples again and quickly got around to it. smile A polar opposite moodwise, but what a beautiful score! To Emma and Knowing Everything I Now Know are lovely. And the concluding Humility And Love is basically a modern masterpiece. smile I'm not sure why I've ignored Young before. Probably because the last thing I really attached with his name was the not-so-fabulous Spiderman 3. Time to dig back into the past. Has he done more like Creation, or do you have suggestions for scores in the same vein?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011
    Christopher Young mentions in THIS INTERVIEW that his outstanding score to THE CORE will be officially released soon...

Good news for those that didn't get a chance to hear the 2CD promo.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Great, I've istened the 2CD promo and it's really good. Though the chronological order is a mess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2011
    Some of the best music he ever wrote, Core is. Glad it's getting an official release.

The priest is very good, a little simplistic and draft at places, but indeed very fun. Eager to see how it works in the film.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Some of the best music he ever wrote, Core is. Glad it's getting an official release.

The priest is very good, a little simplistic and draft at places, but indeed very fun. Eager to see how it works in the film.

I discovered him because of that score. The main theme is amazing.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Christopher Young mentions in THIS INTERVIEW that his outstanding score to THE CORE will be officially released soon...

Good news for those that didn't get a chance to hear the 2CD promo.

-Erik-

excellent, I want that baby

now
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2011
    Just listened to PRIEST a couple of times. EPIC, really good! What a relief we still have composers like Young. What a stand out effort, heads and shoulders about most of the mess that poses as filmmusic nowadays. It seems this movie (didn't see it) has some drawn out scenes, because the tracks have lots of time to develop it seems. Which really works in favor of course for the composer.

I really like this score! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I didn't like the movie PRIEST, but thought the score had some good moments. You could clearly hear it was inspired by the INCEPTION/TRON: LEGACY sound, though. Like when he's driving off from the city on his motorbike through the desert, which had a similar scene in TRON. That booming, two-note motif.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    The album itself is neatly done, the music has a clear beginning, a middle part, a final, and drawn out ending. Nice track flow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Talos wrote
    The album itself is neatly done, the music has a clear beginning, a middle part, a final, and drawn out ending. Nice track flow.

Good to hear. My kind of album, then. Except that there's probably a bit too much action/suspense writing for my taste.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011
    True, but even those tracks offer something interesting. But mainly the first and last few tracks lift the score to another level.

The first track reminded me a bit of the 'Star Trek theme' by Giacchino.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011
    THE RUM DIARY

http://scoremagacine.blogspot.com/2011/ … -2011.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011 edited
    Don't know about the score....but loved the book!
    Hunter S. Thompson is everything I would have liked to would have been fifty years ago, but already should have known not to would to be have been. (The English language really needs more tenses to properly convey that concept!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stars Johnny Depp. Nough said wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011 edited
    Depp was Thompson in Gilliam's excellent Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas.

It makes me very happy he's revisiting the role!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Depp was Thompson in Gilliam's excellent Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas.

It makes me very happy he's revisiting the role!

I liked Bill Murray as Thompson in 'Where The Buffalo Roam'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. New Intrada Release

CORE, THE (2CD)

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 187
    Date: 2003
    Tracks: 21
    Time = 100:25

2-CD world premiere presentation of lengthy 100-minute score by Christopher Young from exciting Jon Amiel throwback to wild sci-fi/disaster thrillers of yesteryear with top-drawer cast: Aaron Eckhart, Hilary Swank, Delroy Lindo, many others. Young prepares 2-CD set with maximum listening pleasure in mind, creates lengthy tracks with considerable musical architecture. Result is arguably composer's most exciting, intense yet melodically-accesible large-scale work to date. Large orchestra, chorus create feeling of major disaster taking place, exciting attempts beneath earth's numerous layers to avoid impending catastrophe that may result. Massive cues, exciting cues, rousing cues... a veritable treasure-trove of powerful music for action score fans! Presented in dynamic stereo from digital session masters courtesy Paramount Pictures. Pete Anthony conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while interest & supplies remain.

01. The Core 3:00
    02. Resurrection In Descent 6:04
    03. In Drucke Ick Moet Sterven 5:14
    04. Origami Lava 7:10
    05. A Terror Toccata 3:04
    06. Tactile Shifts 5:56
    07. Project Destiny 5:39
    08. Moved To The Core 2:08
    09. Virgil T. 3:37
    10. Mantle Passage 4:35
    11. Cor Cordium 4:52
    CD 1 Total Time 51:35

01. Liberte 3:23
    02. Diamonds Are Forever 3:17
    03. Saknusemm 7:16
    04. Intered Servants 4:24
    05. Mundus Subterraneous 4:25
    06. No Left Turns 5:07
    07. Unobtanium 6:26
    08. Clouds Imagined 4:44
    09. Stellar Phrenology 4:12
    10. The Terranaut March 5:42
    CD 2 Total Time 48:50
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011 edited
    THE CORE 2-CD has been released. This will make one person I know very happy.

Damn you beat me to it by mere seconds buddy. shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. It seems that there is a bit more music on this release compared to the promo from Young himself. I am definitely happy with what I have already and would recommend this Intrada release to everyone who does not have it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Maybe something I will have to get, but I'm a bit worried this album may be too long.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011
    Not very interested in this, I'm afraid (not even if it had been a regular album program), but I saw the film again quite recently, and thought the score worked wonderfully there. It's actually a pretty good sci fi romp of a movie!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE CORE 2-CD has been released. This will make one person I know very happy.

Damn you beat me to it by mere seconds buddy. shocked

Agree with Thor.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The score is one of his best
  8. Thor wrote
    Not very interested in this, I'm afraid (not even if it had been a regular album program), but I saw the film again quite recently, and thought the score worked wonderfully there. It's actually a pretty good sci fi romp of a movie!

The scientific logic behind the film is totally ridiculous, but yep for sheer entertainment value the film is pretty decent, if you take everything the scientists in this movie claim to be undeniable fact. I have watched it a couple of months ago and there were some moments in the music that stood out, but not too much. I'll have to sample it first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

The scientific logic behind the film is totally ridiculous, but yep for sheer entertainment value the film is pretty decent, if you take everything the scientists in this movie claim to be undeniable fact. I have watched it a couple of months ago and there were some moments in the music that stood out, but not too much. I'll have to sample it first.

Yes, of course the science is ridiculous, but that's why it's science FICTION.

The reason I like it so much is my obsession with 'spaceship' movies, i.e. films that primarily take place within the confines of a ship (in this case an 'earthship').
    I am extremely serious.