• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009
    I hope so. smile
    I'm really looking forward to it (though admittedly a prime motivator is the fact that I have loved Indonesian food the best all of my life, and absolutely relish the opportunity to actually sample it in its proper surroundings eat shame )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hope it doesn't disappoint.

What are your plans in Indonesia? ( a place I've always held intentions to visit and will one day ) There are some fantastical volcanic landscapes, incredible jungles etc.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, I'm looking towards visiting Bali.
    Apparently it's the best of both worlds: pretty good accomodation if you want/need it, and still huge parts that are more rough and unexplored to get away from the masses.

The downside is that it's the most touristy of the Indonesian islands, so I'll have to watch my step.

Anyway, still looking at options and sights not to be missed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As always, especially with only three weeks in a place that has a zillion Islands, there's no point in spreading yourself too thin.

Friends of mine say Bali is breathtaking and snorkelling ( or Scuba if you are qualified ) there is incredible.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sadly with my back it's one thing I won't be doing. sad
    I've been specifically advised against swimming while using flippers (which you do both with snorkelling and scuba diving), as the strain on the lower back is considerable.
    So I promised myself I'd not be doing that...especially not in places like Bali where emergency services aren't readily available and one of the caveats to be found in the Lonely Planet and online is that operators are way more interested in making a dime than safety. slant

Looking forward to jungle hikes though! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Could you not just use a snorkel mask just to look under the surface of the water? No flippers involved.

Jungle hiking lick Lizards, snakes, strange mammals, exotic birds......and errrrrr other things! cool wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    ......and errrrrr other things! cool wink

<ignore>

<trying to ignore>

<unable to shake mental image>

*sigh*

<cancelling airplane ticket and buying tent to holiday in Sheffield>

sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Lake District is rather nice at this time of year biggrin wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    p.s. The best place to avoid 'things' is in the Himalaya....but only after about 8000-9000 ft in altitude wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009 edited
    Whoah! No island hopping Martijn? I find that essential in Indonesia.

Was this trip conceding with the Filmfestival? This years theme of the festival is Asia, so you're at the right place for a film (and book!).

Timmer wrote

I so want to visit these regions once. Can you hike?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote

Only when I'd be taking six weeks or so.
    Plenty to see on one isle about a dozen times the size of The Netherlands in three wekes. dizzy

Was this trip conceding with the Filmfestival?

I don't think so? Beginning of September, was it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. The best place to avoid 'things' is in the Himalaya....but only after about 8000-9000 ft in altitude wink

I'm not talking to you. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Filmfestival is October 7 until the 17th.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oops. shame
    And again I will be most conspicuous by my absence. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

Was this trip conceding with the Filmfestival? This years theme of the festival is Asia, so you're at the right place for a film (and book!).

Timmer wrote

Good question!?

It's been a couple of years. If serious, I'd love to do a few days hiking with you ( and whoever else? ) , I know the lakes quite well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm not talking to you. angry

I say no 'things' but you do hear some goddamn unearthly noises at night freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In the Himalayas? Really?
    What the hell lives there? Some type of goat if I remember correctly, yaks of course, and bears...but nothing to make really weird noises, are there? Especiallya s these are generally attributed to predators (well, in the jungle anyway).

Unless....
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    Good question!?

It's been a couple of years. If serious, I'd love to do a few days hiking with you ( and whoever else? ) , I know the lakes quite well.

That would be really awesome. smile
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    In the Himalayas? Really?
    What the hell lives there? Some type of goat if I remember correctly, yaks of course, and bears...but nothing to make really weird noises, are there? Especiallya s these are generally attributed to predators (well, in the jungle anyway).

Unless....

'Unless' is right!! cheesy wink

Yaks make very strange noises that are verry spooky at night, but the main culprits are high winds like banshees in the gorges and valley's and most spooky of all, the horrendous yet awesome groans and creaks of mighty glasiers.

p.s. Snow Leopards and Red Pandas live in the Everest region but I never got to see one. sad

p.p.s. We really should take this conversation elsewhere. Anyone else a fan of MYCHAEL DANNA's RIDE WITH THE DEVIL!? cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    p.p.s. We really should take this conversation elsewhere.

Quite right. shame
    Got slightly carried away.

Anyone else a fan of MYCHAEL DANNA's RIDE WITH THE DEVIL!? cool

That's a great score!
    A fine modern day western, and one I revisited many times!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wow, totally envious on Martijn's Indonesia/Bali thing. Everyone (fellow tourists) bragged about this country when we were in Thailand.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote

Good question!?

I'd join in with that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    We're four already!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Forget it.
    I'm in my tent.
    Sulking.
    With a solar-operated iPod.
    Which doesn't work in Sheffield.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Forget it.
    I'm in my tent.
    Sulking.
    With a solar-operated iPod.
    Which doesn't work in Sheffield.

Nothing and nobody works in Sheffield.
  1. Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Good question!?

That would be really awesome. smile

It would!

There's a pub in Keswick that does some great prawns in garlic butter, a chunk of crusty loaf and a pint of Sneck Lifter.
    lick

NP: Signs - James Newton Howard
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    I can taste the Kendal Mint Cake already!
  2. Southall wrote
    I can taste the Kendal Mint Cake already!

Are you a traditionalist or do you partake of the chocolate-covered cake as well?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009