• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    Absolutely not!

In that case, enjoy
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Absolutely not!

In that case, enjoy

lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I can taste the Kendal Mint Cake already!

can't. stand. it.

And yet, I always have to buy it, it's a ritual I'm compelled to do.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Good question!?

It's been a couple of years. If serious, I'd love to do a few days hiking with you ( and whoever else? ) , I know the lakes quite well.

That would be really awesome. smile

It would!

There's a pub in Keswick that does some great prawns in garlic butter, a chunk of crusty loaf and a pint of Sneck Lifter.
    lick

NP: Signs - James Newton Howard

lick cool

The food and drink sound good too!? cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

can't. stand. it.

You should try the chocolate-covered version - and pretend that it's a Fry's Chocolate Cream?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009 edited
    Can someone explain to me what the "other things" Timmer refers to, are? The ones that cause Martijn to crap in his pants? Oh and what's that "unless" thing? You're actually paying to go there....? wink tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    'Unless' = Yeti

'other things'? It's ME D, surely you can work that one out!?? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hint: it's NOT cuddly kittens. slant

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

can't. stand. it.

You should try the chocolate-covered version - and pretend that it's a Fry's Chocolate Cream?

Bloody hell...apparently the old European adagium still stands: if you visit England for God's sake BYOF!
    (Bring Your Own Food).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bloody hell alright! I've gone past my sleepy status of the morning and re-read;

BLOODY FRIGGIN DISGUSTING BIG-ASS SPIDERZ on a country, that's what we're discussing here and honestly Martijn, you still haven't canceled the trip? MEGA-freezing
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Spiders!?? You think that's all there is to worry about?

Big ass bugs of everykind, giant centipedes ( and I'll admit I'm really not fond of these ) scorpions, giant flying bugs....you name it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DAMN! Giant centipedes? shocked DO.NOT.GOOGLE.IMAGE.THOSE.

ever
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    When I was in Laos, I've never seen so many flies, bugs and other flying creatures around each electric light bulb or even when I used my pocket light bulb. It was unbelievable. The cool thing was, that some of our sleeping places/bungalows weren't always closed (spaces between the wall and the roof, or windows that were actually just holes), but when the light shined outside, all bugs were kept outside.

Not funny was the effect of a fan mixed with a light and insects, above a dinner table. biggrin (aka bits and pieces, wings and other stuff flying around, with myself hoping it wouldn't arrive in my plate).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You; stop there.

Me; to ma buckit!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    When I was in Laos, I've never seen so many flies, bugs and other flying creatures around each electric light bulb or even when I used my pocket light bulb. It was unbelievable. The cool thing was, that some of our sleeping places/bungalows weren't always closed (spaces between the wall and the roof, or windows that were actually just holes), but when the light shined outside, all bugs were kept outside.

Not funny was the effect of a fan mixed with a light and insects, above a dinner table. biggrin (aka bits and pieces, wings and other stuff flying around, with myself hoping it wouldn't arrive in my plate).

Fascinating! Please Bregt, do continue....
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009
    I saw a thread on "Ararat" recently on filmtracks and it made me listen to the score again. I've upgraded it from a 4½ rating to a 5 rating. Holy crap, it's a gorgeous masterpiece!

The filmtracks thread had a link to this figure skating performance. I've never been able to stomach figure skating before, as it's almost gayer than Eurovision Song Contest. But with the right combination of music I must say I found it really impressive. Damn, that skater kicks some icy ass from 4:20 on with the "Final stand" cue playing.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    Yes, amazing score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009 edited
    Tracklist for The Time Traveler's Wife is up at Amazon. No track lengths yet but looks like only 2 songs, 21 score tracks. Very good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ararat is one of the most colorful, and touching scores he's written, those themes are in parts brilliant! Glad to see it appreciated as it deserves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I really need to expand my Danna collection. I don't have Ararat. I "discovered" Water quite recently - what an outstanding album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've seen Ararat going cheaply in a shop recently....can't remember where???
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I prefer his "Indian flavour" scores over Ararat (though the latter is really quite good in its sort...it's just that the Oriental wailing duduk thing has been a bit overly used for me to really enjoy it)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Martijn wrote
    I prefer his "Indian flavour" scores over Ararat (though the latter is really quite good in its sort...it's just that the Oriental wailing duduk thing has been a bit overly used for me to really enjoy it)

That's a bit unfair, since Ararat is probably the only movie ever where the use of the duduk was actually warranted.

Peter wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Seems the guy is an expert on ethnic stuff.

I also highly recommend "A celtic tale" and "A celtic romance", both co-written with Jeff. These two albums are simply extraordinary. Fans of the albums have uploaded practically all the tracks on youtube. It's difficult to choose because there are so many brilliant tracks, but below are 4 tracks I adore:

A celtic tale - The child Deirdre
    A celtic tale - The vision
    A celtic romance - The blood of Cu Chulainn
    A celtic romance - The hills of Ireland

Peter punk (headbanging to "The blood of Cu Chulainn")
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin

Fair do's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009 edited
    The blood of Cu Chulainn was also used in that odd movie, Boondocks Saints. A very uplifting piece! Thanks for the links Peter.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

Danna is one of the people who never overdo it with this instrument. Actually, ARARAT is very balanced and melodic.

plindboe wrote
    Martijn wrote

That's a bit unfair, since Ararat is probably the only movie ever where the use of the duduk was actually warranted.

Peter wink

Exactly, story-wise and geographically-wise, it's one of the few films where it actually belongs, as an Armenian instrument. And Danna writes beautifully for it!

Southall wrote
    I really need to expand my Danna collection. I don't have Ararat. I "discovered" Water quite recently - what an outstanding album.

8mm is a dark beast, with brooding middle-eastern heavy percussion work. A very different, but interesting work.
    surf's up is one of the most genuine scores for modern animation i've heard.
    And i'd also recommend:
    Little miss sunshine
    the charming film noir of WHERE THE TRUTH LIES
    the brilliantly beautiful and classical oriented BEING JULIA and VANITY FAIR
    Hearts in Atlantis is very touching, small-scale and sentimental and Girl, Interrupted
    The Sweet Hereafter
    Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love
    Lilies - Les feluettes, with its middle ages / Renaissance spirit
    Exotica
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote

I also highly recommend "A celtic tale" and "A celtic romance", both co-written with Jeff. These two albums are simply extraordinary. Fans of the albums have uploaded practically all the tracks on youtube. It's difficult to choose because there are so many brilliant tracks, but below are 4 tracks I adore:

Very, very enjoyable. Loved the photographs too ( Oirland, a magical place so it is wink ), the British Isles has such magnificent and varied countryside and coastlines the equal of anywhere on the planet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor

He, he...the main melody line from that reminded me of the main melody line of this pop "classic":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AamLl681zS4
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Very, very enjoyable. Loved the photographs too ( Oirland, a magical place so it is wink ), the British Isles has such magnificent and varied countryside and coastlines the equal of anywhere on the planet.

I think many of the pics are from the North of Spain? At least according to the comments next to it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmm? The snow capped mountains could be ( Picos De Europa )? But if you go to the Lake District here in England during winter those green mountains can look like a smaller version of the Alps.