• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Thor wrote

He, he...the main melody line from that reminded me of the main melody line of this pop "classic":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AamLl681zS4

Cheers buddy, thanks for reminding me.

not slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Christodoulides wrote

surf's up is one of the most genuine scores for modern animation i've heard.

Is it because there is no mickey-mousing? wink

or almost!

You know when I first heard that Mychael Danna was going to score an animation film, I had the same reaction when I heard that Thomas Newman was going to do one: "What?" "Really?" "Mmmm Interesting choice" "Not sure but hey why not?"

This is a "thinking outside the box" kind of score for me. When you hear the first cue of Surf's Up, you would never guess that it is written for an animation film. His theme is quite versatile too, going from quite upbeat to melancholic. There is a little motif later on that every time it starts, I start to whistle Stravinsky" Firebird' Suite" then it goes in another direction. I have to listen to it more to get that out of my head smile Shot score and many short cues yet still worth the listen.

Anyone has heard the score Adoration?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Quite 'cause it's something genuine, crappy mickey-mousing free and with a scope. Melodic, with proper themes, mature.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Bregt wrote
    The blood of Cu Chulainn was also used in that odd movie, Boondocks Saints. A very uplifting piece! Thanks for the links Peter.

Maybe odd, but great biggrin Willem Dafoe just KICKS ass.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009
    Audio samples from The Time Traveler's Wife are now up at Amazon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009
    TRUCKER

Trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/trucker/
  2. Marc Webb has been hired as the director for the Spider-Man reboot (sorry Elfman fans).

Webb has only done one film, and Danna scored it (he's done some music videos, according to IMDB, and has three "In Development" projects).

Why not just hire McG and BT?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. On the basis of the one film I have seen, Marc Webb is a good director, and really should just try and make his own stuff rather than Spiderman. But the paycheck would be impressive, and the soapbox hard to resist.
    I would so not be surprised however, given Elfman Young and Lurie's experiences on the films, if whoever scored a Webb film wasn't made to copy temp track cues from Elfman's Spiderman score! Sony likes it! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Oh, I'm not debating whether or not Webb made a good first film, just the stupidity on the studio on how they go about choosing people for bigfilms, and reboots on top of that. It like they want to fail.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Hmmm... let's think back on all the recent terrible second films by guys who made a good first film...

- Memento (Chris Nolan)
    - Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky)
    - State of Play (Kevin Macdonald)
    - The Incredible Hulk (Louis Letterier -- made only one widely seen film before being chosen for Hulk)
    - The Harry Potter franchise was handed over to a maker of TV movies (David Yates), with no appreciable audience drop.
    ... it's a selective list, admittedly...

They're smart to bet on a young guy who made smart film about the romantic qualms of young people. His Spiderman will at least have his sense of humour intact.

I'd be more worried about the guys who gave Kenneth Branagh Thor. I mean, I'll be fascinated to see it, but did they see FRANKENSTEIN?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010
    What did Nolan do wrong?
  6. Irony, my mediteranean friend... None of the films on that list were actually unsuccessful in a significant way, and that's my point. A new comer is not a bad move for a studio.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010
    What was his 2nd film?
  7. Memento.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010
    And it's a terrible film? confused
  8. Michael's point is that it was a box office success and his first film was Following, which was basically funded in an almost guerilla way (he got the money from viewers of his short, basically asking them for money after the showing).
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    He was using sarcasm.
  9. I even mentioned the word 'irony'!
    My point is that there's good reason for studios to believe that a young director whose made a good film will hit a very good second innings. The recent precedents are pretty strong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    THE IMAGINARUM OF DOCTOR PARNASSUS!

I love it! Only recently listened to it carefully (through Alan's comments of his favouite scores of 2009) and I'll add it to that list again! It reminds me of Tideland, but this one is actually better. There's a very good main theme (resembling a bit the one from Gospel of John/Ararat), beautiful melancholic tracks and a couple of louder action oriented pieces which rock my boat! Or float my rock!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    I even mentioned the word 'irony'!
    My point is that there's good reason for studios to believe that a young director whose made a good film will hit a very good second innings. The recent precedents are pretty strong.

Thanks. My God, what's happening to me? It took all the explaining to understand sarcasm? SUNIL, get out of my head Goddamned it!
  10. Bregt wrote
    THE IMAGINARUM OF DOCTOR PARNASSUS!

I love it! Only recently listened to it carefully (through Alan's comments of his favouite scores of 2009)...

Cheers, Bregt!
    beer
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010
    Silva Screen's releasing a score album for Little Miss Sunshine on 22nd Feb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010 edited
    Well, better late than never...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Good little score. Satisfying and uplifting listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It's the same release as the original one, so nothing new here.
    Kazoo
  11. Bregt wrote
    It's the same release as the original one, so nothing new here.

confused
    why then a new release?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010
    It's part of their iPool, so this time it's digital.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010
    Oh. I didn't think it had been released before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010
    Found this over at FSM, in case anyone's interested -

* a Silva Screen international release

* SILCD1305

* Release Date: 22nd March 2010

Silva Screen Records is set to release CHLOE, Mychael Danna’s rich evocative score to Atom Egoyan’s sexually charged melodrama.

Director Atom Egoyan’s “composer of choice”, Mychael Danna has penned the music for a number of Egoyan’s films - Exotica, The Sweet Hereafter, Felicia’s Journey, Ararat, Adoration and in Chloe, they successfully team up again. Starring Julianne Moore and Liam Neeson, this cleverly constructed film manages to bring together all ingredients of a potential hit while remaining true to Egoyan’s style.

Screen Daily comments: “In the early stages of the story, Egoyan does flavour the film with a sense of intrigue and mystery that Hitchcock brought to such late career masterpieces as Vertigo and Marnie. The comparison is underlined by the lush, Bernard Herrman-style score from Mychael Danna.”

Recently released Mychael Danna scores on Silva Screen include The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and Little Miss Sunshine.

Tracklisting:

1. In My Line Of Business
    2. People Like You
    3. Chardonnay
    4. When Did We Stop?
    5. I Felt Him
    6. Shower
    7. You Look Just Like Her
    8. Windsor Arms
    9. The First Time
    10. Conservatory
    11. Touch You