• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    Ah, Remember Me. What a breath of fresh air that score is.

And not available on CD. slant
    Argh.

I had hoped that the wonderful KeepMovingRecords would issue this one as well (as they issued his Destination: Treasure Island score as well, which is really quite enjoyable!), but no... sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Ah, Remember Me. What a breath of fresh air that score is.

And not available on CD. slant
    Argh.

To my dismay I noticed that, too.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013
    Unbreakable James Newton Howard

This is also a fresh of breath air compared to his most recent outputs (yes, I LOVE a couple of tracks from After Earth, but he hasn't made a full out score of this quality for years). God but is this good.
  2. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Fielding - Beyond the Poseidon Adventure

Ironically, I don't think I've heard the generally disliked (right?) John Williams score, but after hearing the brilliant The Nightcomers and some other stuff (a friend of mine and fellow reviewer is a huge fan of Fielding), I am very much inclined to finally try this out.

It's a composer who left us way too early (he was in his 50s, wasn't he?) and definitely talented, pity that we don't see enough of him on this board.

Yes, he was still young when he died ( 57 or 58 ), I remember being quite shocked when reading it in some film music magazine ( the ONLY way for most of us, back in the day, to get any information ). I agree that he was a very talented and very skilled composer but I find so little of his stuff connects with me away from the film, as a film composer he was special, no doubt. He's one of those composers I wish I could enjoy more.

As for Williams score, I don't think it's that people dislike it, more that beyond the superb theme that there isn't really much to latch on to.

Here's The Theme

Very good score, the Fielding one. I really enjoyed it. I like cerebral film music from the 1970s quite a lot.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2013
    Steven wrote
    Unbreakable James Newton Howard

This is also a fresh of breath air compared to his most recent outputs (yes, I LOVE a couple of tracks from After Earth, but he hasn't made a full out score of this quality for years). God but is this good.

A brilliant score, both on album and in film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. NP: Planet Ocean (Armand Amar)

Amar is not above a very close quote of an older cue from his repetoire. Still, it all seems to go together well if you like this melodious minimalism. Some lovely new ideas throughout also - 'Greenland' and 'Footprints Everywhere' come to mind.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : REMEMBER ME - Olivier Deliviere

I hear why Erik and a few others here have made a fuss over this, it's BLOODY GOOD!

I've already heard it once and am giving it a 2nd listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LONELY PLANET (various)

Great 2CD set from the travel series that I keep raving about here (both this and Vol. 2).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Oliver Deriviere - Remember Me

WOW, this is damn ORIGINAL. Great stuff, but I'll have to get used to it, but I want to!!
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Oliver Deriviere - Remember Me

I don't know if We listen to the same score. I hear just a not so good mix of MAtrix and Arnold's Bond music and few others, even a motiv from Legends of the fall I can hear in this. ORIGINAL - It's far from it. GREAT - maybe not bad. But nothing special for me.

ps. Do I have some some bad version or is this mixed so wild on purpose?
  5. Definitely on purpose.
  6. NP: König der letzten Tage (1993) - Wojciech Kilar

Outstanding!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Roy wrote
    Oliver Deriviere - Remember Me

I don't know if We listen to the same score. I hear just a not so good mix of MAtrix and Arnold's Bond music and few others, even a motiv from Legends of the fall I can hear in this. ORIGINAL - It's far from it. GREAT - maybe not bad. But nothing special for me.

ps. Do I have some some bad version or is this mixed so wild on purpose?

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to rebel against the hype. Every great score has its detractors, and you have the honour of being the first on this forum! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I haven't heard it yet, but I have a feeling I will side with Roy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2013 edited
    NP: A couple of scores from a composer called Nicklas Schmidt (both available on iTunes)

I hadn't heard of this composer until today but what I am hearing now makes me want to keep an eye out for this composer in the future.

The Arctic Giant
    This is a 30-minute score for a National Geographic documentary. Beautiful, intimate as well as dramatic, it's a score in the grand tradition of excellent good documentary scoring. Well worth a listen and head over to Soundcloud for a selection of tracks from the score that was released back in April.
    https://soundcloud.com/nicklas-schmidt/ … t-original

Ronal The Barbarian
    I like to have a look at what a new composer (new to me at least) had done in addition to the score that gets my initial attention. This orchestral score is for a 2011 Danish animated film and is another great score from Schmidt. This 10-minute start of the film gives a grand statement of the "Barbarian Theme" (as the credits roll) and the score as a whole keeps on going in the same vein. The video is in the native language but the music and humour transfers well.
    http://youtu.be/S8qynKNpsQM

Let me know what you think.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2013
    I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to rebel against the hype. Every great score has its detractors, and you have the honour of being the first on this forum! wink

Nah. I don't like it either.
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    I'm not against at all, it just I don't think anything that much intresting. Those all around strange mix might be done by some Zimmer clone being drunk. I find it distracting, the themes might be good but NOT original, sound, orchestration NOt original at all, and THIS MIX. I just don't buy it, I heard it once and don't won't to do it again.... anyway I will cause some think it sooo Good smile
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Article 99 - Danny Elfman

In recalling this I think I overestimated it a bit; a nice but generic main theme, often on piano. The more dramatic low-end piano stuff on a couple of tracks is best.

Knowing - Marco Beltrami

A bit of filler here but there's 8 or 9 spectacularly good cues, beginning with 'Door Jamb'. One of his very best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Man Of Steel - Zimmer

On more than one occasion I've written how a score has grown on me with each listen.
    In this case it's the opposite!
    I quite liked MoS the first time I played it.
    Since then I find myself growing very bored very fast!
    There certainly are fine moments sprinkled throughout but some of the Zimmerscape presented here just becomes hyper-mundane in its by-the-numbers pallet.
    It's kinda like having a Big Mac. Okay at first but you soon find yourself hungry and dissatisfied soon after.
    Maybe my view will change a bit after seeing the film.
    Anyway, I followed Man Of Steel with Remember Me which I found VERY satisfying in comparison! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I haven't heard it yet, but I have a feeling I will side with Roy.

It's in my "Thor Wouldn't Like This" playlist (it's a fantastic playlist).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    After not having played film scores much for several months except several animated favorites (TLK and HTTYD and such), this week I suddenly fell into Thomas Newman mood. I repeated this album a lot for a few days. I don't know why. dizzy

NP: Road To Perdition
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  7. Because it's a brilliant one?

Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Yes, I want to go through the whole mammooth La La Land release (which I finally own and the score is an obvious masterpiece) in one go. I will be preparing a Polish review very soon, because this release and this score deserves an analysis as much as any.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: A couple of scores from a composer called Nicklas Schmidt (both available on iTunes)

I hadn't heard of this composer until today but what I am hearing now makes me want to keep an eye out for this composer in the future.

The Arctic Giant
    This is a 30-minute score for a National Geographic documentary. Beautiful, intimate as well as dramatic, it's a score in the grand tradition of excellent good documentary scoring. Well worth a listen and head over to Soundcloud for a selection of tracks from the score that was released back in April.

Ronal The Barbarian
    I like to have a look at what a new composer (new to me at least) had done in addition to the score that gets my initial attention. This orchestral score is for a 2011 Danish animated film and is another great score from Schmidt. This 10-minute start of the film gives a grand statement of the "Barbarian Theme" (as the credits roll) and the score as a whole keeps on going in the same vein. The video is in the native language but the music and humour transfers well.

It's good, I liked it. As for Ronal, I'd like to see the whole film but there's no subtitles. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Because it's a brilliant one?

Yeah obviously it's brilliant, but it's funny this happens to me sometimes. Sudden urge to listen to a score (or a piece) with no particular reason. dizzy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  8. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

The Arctic Giant

Ronal The Barbarian

It's good, I liked it. As for Ronal, I'd like to see the whole film but there's no subtitles. slant

I saw the film a few weeks ago on TV and liked it enough to buy the DVD for 6 €. (German only, no subs).

The score emidiately had my attention. Very ince.

Volker
  9. It is available with English (dubbed or subtitled, I can't recall) but at £30 for the DVD from Amazon, that's a bit expensive.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It is available with English (dubbed or subtitled, I can't recall) but at £30 for the DVD from Amazon, that's a bit expensive.

Ridiculous. slant angry
  10. Thanks for the comments BTW.

Nice to see the board not being completely dominated by the usual stuff.
  11. NP: Being Human - Series 3 - Richard Wells

As this series went along it became less about how ghost/vampire/werewolf fits in with humans and more just a supernatural-themed show. It always had a very emotional feel to it and this was particularly true for the music and Wells' music for the third -and final - series is definitely more about the emotions rather than being about the "horror". Recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Captain Future wrote
    Bregt, is there a Main Titles Essay Award?

I have a certain someone in mind as a nominee. cheesy

Volker

I second the motion
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!