• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Pacific Rim - Ramin Djawadi

Having a more focused listen to this now. I am enjoying what I am hearing - though it probably doesn't make for traditional film scoring with it's transferable repeating rhythms and very little musical progression.

I like the mix between the strong electric guitar presence and the orchestra - though I am hoping that the guitar doesn't get too gimmicky or overstay its welcome. The usual tell-tale "power scoring" is all there including the Zimmer/Inception/Dark Knight horn blaring (whatever it actually is, is it a D?)

I don't think that this is the turd that I am sure a lot of people will suggest (and are already hinting at.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I was listening to the expanded release of Clear and Present Danger the other day. It's great to hear all the previously-unavailable James Horner action scoring but, goodness, there's such a lot of uninteresting tension bottle-blowing going on.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Supergirl - by Jerry Goldsmith
    Will they reboot this franchise, too? If so, who would you like to see in Faye Dunaway's dress? lick

Angelina Jolie!
    Sans doute!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thanks for the list, Atham. Beside the (correct) point Thomas made, it looks very reasonable to me; how did you get it without seeing the movie?

I came across the list in a thread at hans-zimmer.com. So I went with that.
    And seeing that the Kent track is hard to place I'm happy to tack it at the end for now.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Supergirl - by Jerry Goldsmith

Will they reboot this franchise, too? If so, who would you like to see in Faye Dunaway's dress?

Russell Crowe. Singing.

Supergirl: The Musical
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "The Windmills Of Your Beautiful Mind"
    "I'm So Gladiator"
    "High School L.A. Confidential"
    "The Kick Insider"

Yeah, I can see it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    "The Windmills Of Your Beautiful Mind"
    "I'm So Gladiator"
    "High School L.A. Confidential"
    "The Kick Insider"

Yeah, I can see it.

beer
  5. NP: SimCity - Chris Tilton

If you're looking for some quality listening I can very much recommend Tilton's score for this EA game. Running to 140 minutes in length, there's two versions of most tracks. The original and a "Night Mix" version - though I haven't sat down and worked out the difference.
  6. The original cues tend to emphasize the orchestra, especially woodwinds, whereas the night mixes have a lot more percussion and reverby background synths. Generally the meat of the cue is found in the originals, but what I did was layer them on top of each other to make a nice 80-minute album without losing any elements from either "mix". Worked a charm! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What a good idea!
    Are you by any chance sharing that some place?
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The original cues tend to emphasize the orchestra, especially woodwinds, whereas the night mixes have a lot more percussion and reverby background synths. Generally the meat of the cue is found in the originals, but what I did was layer them on top of each other to make a nice 80-minute album without losing any elements from either "mix". Worked a charm! smile

Good idea indeed. Thanks for explaining the difference between the two versions. I am so keen on just listening to the music that I have never got round to analysing it too closely. It is a very good album.
  8. And now iTunes has thrown up Roque Baños' Evil Dead right before bed.

shocked
  9. Martijn wrote
    What a good idea!
    Are you by any chance sharing that some place?

Unfortunately no, mostly because I'm not really sure how exactly I'd go about doing that. I guess I could upload it to YouTube or something but it's 2 A.M. in Berlin sleep so I can't be bothered tonight. I could do it tomorrow morning if people are interested. Or else let me know an easier way to do it.

I can also tell you what program I used for it though: Audacity, which absolutely no film score fan should be without. It's invaluable for rearranging albums into a shape you like, separating the good/bad bits in long cues, merging cues that run into each other, etc. And it's dead easy to use. And no, they're not paying me to say this. biggrin
  10. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I can also tell you what program I used for it though: Audacity, which absolutely no film score fan should be without. It's invaluable for rearranging albums into a shape you like, separating the good/bad bits in long cues, merging cues that run into each other, etc. And it's dead easy to use. And no, they're not paying me to say this. biggrin

So you can use Audacity to overlay two separate tracks into one?

I have Audacity but have never really used it for anything for editing mp3 tracks to suit my needs. But even with that I have tended to use something called mp3DirectCut.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2013 edited
    Citizen Kane: The essential Bernard Herrmann collection

I know Herrmann is the one everyone is supposed to adore, but there's little music on this album that I actually enjoy. Besides the prelude to Psycho and the theme from Taxi driver, his themes rarely get to me.

I think the only score of his I actually enjoy is The three worlds of Gulliver, which contains some nice classical pastiche and a decent love theme. Perhaps I like it more because it's different from the gloomy, tense scores the Herrmster is most famous for.

Comparing this album to Ben-hur: The essential Miklos Rozsa, where every track is an exquisite work of art, there's just no contest between these composers. Rozsa will always be my no.1 golden ager.

Peter smile
  11. NOW YOU SEE ME - Brian Tyler.

First listen. That thing Erik posted was very cool.
  12. plindboe wrote
    Citizen Kane: The essential Bernard Herrmann collection

I know Herrmann is the one everyone is supposed to adore, but there's little music on this album that I actually enjoy. Besides the prelude to Psycho and the theme from Taxi driver, his themes rarely get to me.

I think the only score of his I actually enjoy is The three worlds of Gulliver, which contains some nice classical pastiche and a decent love theme. Perhaps I like it more because it's different from the gloomy, tense scores the Herrmster is most famous for.

Comparing this album to Ben-hur: The essential Miklos Rozsa, where every track is an exquisite work of art, there's just no contest between these composers. Rozsa will always be my no.1 golden ager.

Peter smile

His score to Fahrenheit 451 is underrated. And Vertigo...yeah.
  13. Atham wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thanks for the list, Atham. Beside the (correct) point Thomas made, it looks very reasonable to me; how did you get it without seeing the movie?

I came across the list in a thread at hans-zimmer.com. So I went with that.
    And seeing that the Kent track is hard to place I'm happy to tack it at the end for now.

I see. Thank you again.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    FalkirkBairn wrote

The usual tell-tale "power scoring" is all there including the Zimmer/Inception/Dark Knight horn blaring (whatever it actually is, is it a D?)

I believe the professional name is a BLAAAARGH.
  14. Ah, a 'BLAAAARGH!. I do remember seeing that before now it has been mentioned.

I would not have used it probably if I had remembered at the time: this terminology suggests that it is rubbish. And I would not have wanted to give that impression.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Actually, it's more like "BHAAAAAM!".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    But who invented it? wink

I love that sound and wish I had it as a ringtone. There's something about that deep, powerful brass sound that gets to me. Of course anything can be overused, but I haven't heard it enough yet to tire of it.

Anyway, it's BWAAAHHHH!

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    I love the BWAAHHH!
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    I'm currently listening to an " instrumental ' i thinks thats what it's called, even though to me is a song.

Cells by The Servants. Repetitive but catchy
  15. FalkirkBairn wrote

I have Audacity but have never really used it for anything for editing mp3 tracks to suit my needs. But even with that I have tended to use something called mp3DirectCut.

Yeah. You just drag both tracks in and they'll appear right on top of each other, then you go to Tracks --> Mix and Render. You might first need to jiggle around the tracks, cut out or add tiny amounts to one of them to make sure they sync up just right. Audacity only exports wav files but you can easily convert those to mp3 with iTunes, or else get some other converter if you use different audio files.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    I press a lot of the wrong buttoms and then cant delete. sorry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote

The feature you will want to use the most is fade in/fade out, and then open two separate stereo tracks to overlay the two pieces together (rather than having just one stereo tracks and essentially causing a train crash of audio).
  16. Cheers Audacity people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What Sarah said. I use Audacity for my webcasts in that fashion.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    What Sarah said.

That she's pressing bottoms?