• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Men of Steel - Hans Zimmer

Growing on me with every listen.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Men of Steel - Hans Zimmer

Is that the sequel to Man of Steel?

Peter tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Scribe wrote
    I can't get enough of Man of Steel...I think it's been years since I so thoroughly enjoyed a whole score and not just a few tracks here and there.

Don't judge me sad

What if I want to judge you to be a man of exquisite taste? wink

Anyway, at long last I've tried this album as well. I like the highlights quite a lot, but most of the album doesn't do much for me. That said, it seems ridiculous that some reviewers gave it 1 star or less, as it's obviously an album with qualities above that. I'd probably rate it 3 or 3½.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I agree with the Peter! Highlights are really good but in between I have problems with listening to it.

PACIFIC RIM | djawadi

Good stuff for a background listen with now and then an outburst that begs some attention. Nice main theme, very Remote Control/Media Venture style, with a lot of blaring brass in there. Anthems not so much (it doesn't hum that well so far). But it's fun.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE KILLING FIELDS - Mike Oldfield

Brilliant score.

PRAN'S DEPARTURE When the violins come in at the 1.05 mark shocked love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Since God agrees with me, I shall henceforth be known as "The Voice of God"!.... Though "The Prophet", with a capital P, is also acceptable. angelic

Timmer, an excellent piece, that I hadn't heard before, especially the string stuff. Any other good tracks from this album I should be made aware of?

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think all the stuff orchestrated by David Bedford is probably most acceptable to film score fans but I also love Mike Oldfield's mix of synths and ethnic instrumentation, I'd recommend picking up the album Peter, I've seen it many times going very cheaply.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2013 edited
    Here's another gobsmacking piece...

REQUIEM FOR A CITY

p.s. David Bedford was the choral director on Morricone's The Mission

p.p.s. I remember Mario Nascimbene being interviewed in Soundtrack Collector, he was very impressed by Oldfield's score, probably because he was such an experimentalist himself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE KILLING FIELDS - Mike Oldfield

Brilliant score.

PRAN'S DEPARTURE When the violins come in at the 1.05 mark shocked love

Yes, that's a great moment, also in the film. I saw it recently after you recommended it a few times. It's a terrible event, the movie is harsh and doesn't leave much to the imagination. I didn't knew the actor was also one of the people who actually experienced it all until after the movie. What a awful regime.

The music is often very distracting though, to my young ears. wink There's this odd percussion that pops up now and then, which is rather weird. But the main themes are really beautiful.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    plindboe wrote
    Since God agrees with me, I shall henceforth be known as "The Voice of God"!.... Though "The Prophet", with a capital P, is also acceptable. angelic

Lets start with Apostle. Can I call you Jezebel, the First Apostle?
    How are your stenography skills?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    God may call me whatever pleaseth Him.

As it happens my skills in stenography and stone tablet chiseling are unparalleled.

Peter bhangra
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS - Ennio Morricone

The Maestro love
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    A fistful of kudos to you, Timmer.

*is currently listening to The killing fields on youtube. Some tracks are great, others are rather weird. Good news is rather cute and catchy.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote

*is currently listening to The killing fields on youtube. Some tracks are great, others are rather weird. Good news is rather cute and catchy.

Peter smile

beer

I think it's a damned good album. Glad you've enjoyed some of it cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    NP: John Williams new brass piece
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote

Your orders, sir?

Thought I'd get in their with a youtube Star Wars reference before Martijn did...
  2. Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

beer

I love The Killing Fields. Pity that the experience for Oldfield was so bad that he vowed never to score a film again.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013
    Steven wrote
    Your orders, sir?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DopGxUAoAY

Peter knight
  3. plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Peter, since you are the webmaster of our Lord's facebook account, could I please have a word with your superiour as to what a mess of a creation he has managed to fabricate? Much obliged!

wink Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    God would love to discuss this with you, but he's currently busy.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

*sigh* True!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sarah wrote
    NP: John Williams new brass piece

SUPERB!

:approve:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

beer

I love The Killing Fields. Pity that the experience for Oldfield was so bad that he vowed never to score a film again.

Really? I don't know about this, can you elaborate Pawel?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PLAYING BY HEART - John Barry

I've not played this for a while, such a good late listen, a marvellous work that as an album works seamlessly with Chet Baker's original tracks. John Barry really was something very special.
  4. Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

*sigh* True!

Sooo, that's why you win all this pool games and quizzes! biggrin

Please forgive my not worshipping you this sunday morning, but preachings hereabouts are just too dull to bother. (Seriously, even as a factual atheist I could be tempted to attend service now and then if those pastors had anything to say worth thinking about.)

I just ordered a used copy of The Killing Fields for 4€ as opposed to 28€ for a new one.

Happy sunday!
    Volker
  5. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

beer

According to my friend, who is among the co-runners of the website tubular.net, which is in contact with the man himself, it came from his misunderstanding of the process of creation of film music.

It seems that he thought that he'd just write a piece and they would accept it as-is. As far as I understand, he had to write basically two scores, deciding to put the orchestra in into the second score (after the first versions weren't quite accepted, though they never were rude about that, he asked if he could get an orchestra budget and he was granted it) he wrote. The problems also came through when several revised pieces weren't used in favour of the original first pieces...

To me two things happened. Oldfield was in no knowledge and experience of writing a film score. Basically he thought that he would do his album thing and it would fit into the movie (same thing happened to huge classical composers, which were commissioned to write film scores, they seemed to think, among them no-one else than Igor Stravinsky who got rejected by Hollywood twice, that they would write the score on their own - in many cases just based on reading the script! - and they would edit the movie according to the score, which of course could never happen; while Rozsa didn't discuss Stravinsky, he discussed another composer who thought that, Rozsa basically said, OK, we'll see and he was right) according to his liking. The fact that he had to adapt to the film in the end and the fact that he wasn't granted the right to select the pieces of his liking made it frustrating to him.

That said, while my friend is a bit wary about that, I am not a person who would only blame Mike Oldfield. Of course, Roland Joffe isn't exactly a director famous for awful scores to his films, having later worked (at least!) twice with no-one else than Ennio Morricone and him delivering the singular masterpiece that The Mission was among others, but look at this. Morricone is a famous film composer, who, when scoring The Mission, had a lot of his own experience. Oldfield was a huge star of his own, though I can't tell which album of his was the last thing he released before embarking on this score, because of my little memory of his chronology. Joffe was making his directorial debut (a very harrowing and brilliant movie at that).

The lack of experience on the side of both men, I think, led to major communication issues, when Oldfield, with his specific personality and with his lack of film experience, thought it's the same as album work, and Joffe expected (probably) that he's working with a normal film composer who knows his stuff. So I would say it's a bit of both, which led to a frustrating experience especially for Oldfield who is a very strong artistic mind and personality.

The score works brilliantly in the film and the weirder tracks... Evacuation, while odd and difficult, is a brilliant piece of music. I never found a blunder in the film, so whoever put the music in the movie, did it in the right way. But still I can imagine that for an artist so perfectionist in his approach, having to deal with the fact that pieces he regarded as "unfinished" (probably early drafts) ended in the movie, because they fit the movie better must have been painful and frustrating.

What I know for sure is that Oldfield was very frustrated at the end and vowed never to score a film again.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Oldfield could make it now, though. There have been two Jon Brion scores where he said in interviews he didn't score scenes, he just created score and the producers and/or director just tracked it where they needed it. So there is some call out there for the kind of approach of just creating score.
    I don't recall the name of the two scores.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

beer

According to my friend, who is among the co-runners of the website tubular.net, which is in contact with the man himself, it came from his misunderstanding of the process of creation of film music.

It seems that he thought that he'd just write a piece and they would accept it as-is. As far as I understand, he had to write basically two scores, deciding to put the orchestra in into the second score (after the first versions weren't quite accepted, though they never were rude about that, he asked if he could get an orchestra budget and he was granted it) he wrote. The problems also came through when several revised pieces weren't used in favour of the original first pieces...

To me two things happened. Oldfield was in no knowledge and experience of writing a film score. Basically he thought that he would do his album thing and it would fit into the movie (same thing happened to huge classical composers, which were commissioned to write film scores, they seemed to think, among them no-one else than Igor Stravinsky who got rejected by Hollywood twice, that they would write the score on their own - in many cases just based on reading the script! - and they would edit the movie according to the score, which of course could never happen; while Rozsa didn't discuss Stravinsky, he discussed another composer who thought that, Rozsa basically said, OK, we'll see and he was right) according to his liking. The fact that he had to adapt to the film in the end and the fact that he wasn't granted the right to select the pieces of his liking made it frustrating to him.

That said, while my friend is a bit wary about that, I am not a person who would only blame Mike Oldfield. Of course, Roland Joffe isn't exactly a director famous for awful scores to his films, having later worked (at least!) twice with no-one else than Ennio Morricone and him delivering the singular masterpiece that The Mission was among others, but look at this. Morricone is a famous film composer, who, when scoring The Mission, had a lot of his own experience. Oldfield was a huge star of his own, though I can't tell which album of his was the last thing he released before embarking on this score, because of my little memory of his chronology. Joffe was making his directorial debut (a very harrowing and brilliant movie at that).

The lack of experience on the side of both men, I think, led to major communication issues, when Oldfield, with his specific personality and with his lack of film experience, thought it's the same as album work, and Joffe expected (probably) that he's working with a normal film composer who knows his stuff. So I would say it's a bit of both, which led to a frustrating experience especially for Oldfield who is a very strong artistic mind and personality.

The score works brilliantly in the film and the weirder tracks... Evacuation, while odd and difficult, is a brilliant piece of music. I never found a blunder in the film, so whoever put the music in the movie, did it in the right way. But still I can imagine that for an artist so perfectionist in his approach, having to deal with the fact that pieces he regarded as "unfinished" (probably early drafts) ended in the movie, because they fit the movie better must have been painful and frustrating.

What I know for sure is that Oldfield was very frustrated at the end and vowed never to score a film again.

Instead of "no-one else than" substitute for 'none other than' or 'no less than' wink

Thank you Pawel, I really didn't know any of that.

Re: Stravinsky. I believe he also wanted at least a year to write a film score.
  7. There were at least three films where they tried to get Stravinsky as the score composer.
    http://rejectedfilmscores.150m.com/supp … ected.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. The Great Fantasy Adventure Album - Various Composers / Erich Kunzel

This is one of the very best albums the Erich Kunzel and his band have called into existence and it is a memento of what great work Kunzel did with the Cincinnati Pops.

I only just don't understand what business "Henry V" has on a Fantasy themed album except that the Bard had a big ton of it.

Volker