• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013
    Sarah wrote
    NP: John Williams new brass piece

Marry me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    Steven wrote
    Sarah wrote
    NP: John Williams new brass piece

Marry me?

moon
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Arse if!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    David Arnold- Tomorrow Never Dies.

Hadn't heard it before, (as i'm not a James Bond usual fan) and really like it.
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
  1. Martijn wrote
    Arse if!

Looks like a "Yes!" to me! wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. "Roar" (promo of score from the TV series)
    Jon Ehrlich

I've had this one for a long while now and never given it a proper listen through.

It's full of ethnic woodinds and percussion, and some traditional orchestra. It's mainly lie "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" (though not as good) meets "Kingdom of Heaven" and smaller ethnic sound moments from "Titanic" (though not as good).

So far, nothing has grabed me. It's plesant, and I'm sure somebody out there would enjoy it.

I assume since it is so short, it must be just selections from the pilot or an episode score possibly nominated for an award.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. "Book of Stars"
    By: Richard Gibbs

I've never given this a proper listen through either. The Main Title is simply one of the most beautiful pieces of films music I have ever heard, that I think flew passed almost everybody's radar, considering LLLR's discounted this so low it was ridiculous.
    (sampling: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzx9v3vnvkM)

This CD also maintains a special mention of being the only CD I own thaqt has glitter on it! Yes, as part of the art work design, glitter is sparkled on one side of the back tray art (front and back). You can imagine glitter sparkling when listening to the beautiful title music. The back tray art also states: "A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this album will be donated to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation".

So far the score is sort of like a mix of Elfman and Thomas Newman. Not surprising given Gibbs and Elfman's connection. It has some light airy moment, then some surprisingly lush string moments and dark dramatic spouts.

There's some sweetness, some sorrow, and some more wonderful tracks, like "Happy Birthday", most of "The Book is Finished/Afterlife/The Beach", and the "End Credits".

For some reason the CD stops playing before the alternate "End Credits". I had to press play to start it again and hear the track. I did not find a hidden egg at the end.

Over all it's not a consistent listen and doesn't develop too well. Check out some samples on Youtube and see what you think.

Gibbs only has one coming assighnment that I see, some CGI animated film called "Hell & Back"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013
    NP: Congo - Jerry Goldsmith

Nice. Good action cues, however derivative and samey as most of his action output around this period. It's his shtick, but oh so good. I appreciate the bit of Lebo M/African music in the beginning, and ending too, however fleeting. Were there a lot of good materials that were left off the album, anyone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013 edited
    NP: Goldsmith Conduct Goldsmith - Jerry Goldsmith

Being a fan of the score, it's incredibly nice to have this updated recording from the original composer. It's a bit less frantic than the original, notably in "The Attack" , but the clarity and beefier orchestra does help mitigate the problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote

Being a fan of the score, it's incredibly nice to have this updated recording from the original composer. It's a bit less frantic than the original, notably in "The Attack" , but the clarity and beefier orchestra does help mitigate the problem.

One of the greatest re-recordings of all time. BTW, what did you think of my Pacific Rim suite?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

One of the greatest re-recordings of all time. BTW, what did you think of my Pacific Rim suite?

-Erik-

Oh yeah, I meant to talk to you about it. I enjoyed it. I found it surprising, though not really, that you would use the brass march to start it off. It's the most Godzilla-like material on the the album. I was hoping that you would have included Shatterdome at some point. And some of the transition was a bit jarring, though I attribute that to the quick turnaround time. I have listened to the score album so much that I was hoping that the suite would have gone on a bit longer than 7 minutes. Are you gonna use it on your show?

I've never heard the Motion Picture Themes Medley before today. It's quite good. I wish more composers would do that. I'm THINKING HANS ZIMMER!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Messenger - Eric Serra

It's better than I remembered it being.
  4. Eric Serra!!

I emideately had to click The Big Blue that I haven't listened to in ages. Is Serra still in the business of film scoring?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Captain Future wrote
    Eric Serra!!

I emideately had to click The Big Blue that I haven't listened to in ages. Is Serra still in the business of film scoring?

Volker

I think he still does it in France?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pacific Rim Ramen Noodles

It's fun, I'll give it that. But it just makes me want to listen to a proper Big Monster score, ala David Arnold's Vastly Superior™ score to Godzilla.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote

It's fun, I'll give it that. But it just makes me want to listen to a proper Big Monster score, ala David Arnold's Vastly Superior™ score to Godzilla.

In term of genre, I really disagree with your assertion that the Roland Emmerich's Godzilla movie is in the same league as GDT's Pacific Rim. The only movie that the Godzilla film can comfortably compare itself to is Jurrassic Park 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: 1492 - Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis

Really good album. Okay score, I think. Every time I listen to this album, I want to see the movie, but, up till now, I've seen it only once.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

In term of genre, I really disagree with your assertion that the Roland Emmerich's Godzilla movie is in the same league as GDT's Pacific Rim. The only movie that the Godzilla film can comfortably compare itself to is Jurrassic Park 2.

I never said it was. I just said that this score makes me want to listen to a proper Big Monster score.
  5. Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

I never said it was. I just said that this score makes me want to listen to a proper Big Monster score.

You know in those e-guitar driven parts I keep finding structures referencing back to early 70s European progressive rock and kraut rock music. Therefore I like this score tremedously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

It's the characterization of "proper" that I'm having a problem with. If you had just said "different Big Monster score", then it wouldn't have been an issue with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

You know in those e-guitar driven parts I keep finding structures referencing back to early 70s European progressive rock and kraut rock music. Therefore I like this score tremedously.

Hey Thor, about those prog rock thing, uh wait, sorry, wrong person.

moon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like Arnold's score, he conjures the spirit of the ultimate king of monster music BERNARD HERRMANN.

( Godzilla also has a fair sprinkling of John Barry in the mix too cool )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    lp wrote
    It's the characterization of "proper" that I'm having a problem with. If you had just said "different Big Monster score", then it wouldn't have been an issue with me.

He's calling the score proper, not the film!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    lp wrote

He's calling the score proper, not the film!

Yup. Exactly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    ........you're expressing a negative opinion of David Arnold's Godzilla? shocked
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    ........you're expressing a negative opinion of David Arnold's Godzilla? shocked

Whuh? No.

To say that David Arnold's score to Roland Emmerich's Godzilla as "proper Big Monster score" is to make an implicit assertion that Roland Emmerich's Godzilla is a "proper Big Monster score", and as such, would diminish GDT's Pacific Rim as something less than Roland Emmerich's Godzilla. IMHO, GDT's Pacific Rim, as it stand, works perfectly in most respect.
    FWIW, David Arnold's score is excellent. I love it. It's pretty much the only thing that's good about Godzilla, but, even that one got changed at the last minute to be more Jurassic Park like in its "awe-inspiring" theme (versus the original "horrific", paraphrasing, for Godzilla). All Godzilla ended up being is an overblown Jurrassic Park 2: Attack in New York.

Ramin's score doesn't sound like Arnold's Godzilla, but as a score that is pretty good in an out of an already excellent Big Monsters vs Big Robots movie, it's an excellent feat that even Arnold can't claim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote

Pedantic much! dizzy

It's very simple: both scores reflect giant monsters destroying shit. That's the only connection I'm making. Arnold's score just happens to be the superior one, and listening to Djawadi's score makes me want to listen to something better. Arnold's score was the first one that came to mind because of, well, big monsters destroying shit.
  6. NP: Infinite - Gargantuan Music

Another album of trailer/ad music. Nothing new here but there's not so much of an emphasis on wall-to-wall epic chorus in the tracks I am listening to (from the pen of R. Simeon Bowring).

I can imagine "From The Deep" being for a type of Inception/Transformers/Pacific Rim-styled movie.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. RP: Arthur of The Britons - Paul Lewis & Elmer Bernstein (theme)

I've had this one for a while and had a quick scan through it then and was disappointed by how little I was enthused by what I heard. I've listened to it off-and-on since and my thoughts haven't changed on it.

Yes, the 30-second theme from Elmer Bernstein is excellent, but as far as Lewis' score is concerned, there's not much more I'd want to listen to that isn't already on the Lewis compilation album.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

Pedantic much! dizzy

It's very simple: both scores reflect giant monsters destroying shit. That's the only connection I'm making. Arnold's score just happens to be the superior one, and listening to Djawadi's score makes me want to listen to something better. Arnold's score was the first one that came to mind because of, well, big monsters destroying shit.

It could have been worse.
    And, as I remember it, Godzilla had one monster destroying shit. I could be wrong, but eh.