• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2008
    My wife did something very nice for me, or is still doing, she is making a calender for me with film composers birthdays on it, like what a film composer calender might look like with pictures and everything.

WOW!! now I married the right woman.

sd kiss
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Wow! Where did you get a wife like that?!! A genie's bottle?

My wife has no interest in scores whatsoever. She's still ok though! wink
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Atham wrote
    She's still ok though! wink

biggrin
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  1. Atham wrote

Just in case she lurks to this site to see what you spend ALL your time doing? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Atham wrote

Just in case she lurks to this site to see what you spend ALL your time doing? wink

biggrin

Good for you Mooner! smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    moonie wrote
    My wife did something very nice for me, or is still doing, she is making a calender for me with film composers birthdays on it, like what a film composer calender might look like with pictures and everything.

WOW!! now I married the right woman.

sd kiss

I was about to say ''that could sell really well!'' but then realised I don't know a single person in real life that likes film music. Still a nice idea though.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008 edited
    Actually it would do best selling on line, but I wouldnt sell it, the copyright thing (cause there are pictures on it of the composers) there would be someone somewhere to fuss, "my picture, my picture, I want royalties, I want royalties". So he or she will get their half a cent for everyone that sells , hehe .

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Lucky man.

The only woman in my life who's ever showed the slightest interest in film scores is my mom. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008 edited
    LSH wrote
    Lucky man.

The only woman in my life who's ever showed the slightest interest in film scores is my mom. shame

Why the ==> shame <== icon? ( or is it that it's not a "girlfriend" to share your passion? wink )

My mum ( rip ) loved a good selection of film scores and when I was a teenager still living at home she would often request I play something by John Williams, Ennio Morricone or John Barry though her absolute favourites were Ben Hur, King Of Kings and El Cid by Miklos Rozsa.....excellent taste by anyones standards cool

p.s. My very first girlfriend HATED film scores of any kind.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    I should have somehow emphasized the slightest in my post. Her interest is actually limited to one incident when she listened to the American Beauty score by Thomas Newman in her car on the way to work. She said, "I liked that CD you left in the car."

Then she gave it me back. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008 edited
    About girlfriends: Well you have to work it around a little bit, make things happen but not in a pushy way, if you know what i mean. Make her a couple of REALLY nice compilation with several no too long but sweet pieces that you like too and which DO mean a lot to you as well; music with lots of easily-discernible melodies and "catchy" tones overall (not to be mistaken for a lack of quality or something, quite the contrary) and write a nice, honest dedication on the cover. Play it in the background while you're together, talk to her a bit about it but don't get too geeky heheh. She'll love it, i found that Desplat (stuff like the main theme from SYRIANA or all the slower, melodic renditions of the main theme from LUST, CAUTION or stuff like THE ULTIMATE GIFT / BECOMING JANE / EVENING etc are real winners most usually).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I just go around 'converting' people, and I've been pretty successful at uni so far!

First you have to get rid of an unfortunate innate prejudice most people have when it comes to film music. They assume that if a film is unworthy, childish, not-for-grown-ups and the like, the music is worthless. Get rid of that and the possibilities suddenly open up!

I've got a few of my friends liking most of John Williams "classic" stuff, John Powell, some of Horner's 90's scores and a few other scores. (Goldenthal might be stretching it a bit!)
  2. When I started a new role-playing group in 1991 there was this girl I barely knew. At the beginning of the game, I used the title theme of Ladyhawke (don´t ask why). During the very first seconds, even before that cheesy rhythm starts, that girl turns around to me with eyes wide open, smiles at me and sighs "Ladyhawke...?".

This year, we´ll be married for thirteen years...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sweet!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    When I started a new role-playing group in 1991 there was this girl I barely knew. At the beginning of the game, I used the title theme of Ladyhawke (don´t ask why). During the very first seconds, even before that cheesy rhythm starts, that girl turns around to me with eyes wide open, smiles at me and sighs "Ladyhawke...?".

This year, we´ll be married for thirteen years...

Familiar with a lot more than just Ladyhawke now eh Ralph? cool

Thor's a big fan of that score cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I just go around 'converting' people, and I've been pretty successful at uni so far!

First you have to get rid of an unfortunate innate prejudice most people have when it comes to film music. They assume that if a film is unworthy, childish, not-for-grown-ups and the like, the music is worthless. Get rid of that and the possibilities suddenly open up!

I've got a few of my friends liking most of John Williams "classic" stuff, John Powell, some of Horner's 90's scores and a few other scores. (Goldenthal might be stretching it a bit!)

subliminal message : play them John Barry, play them John Barry, play them John Barry, play them John Barry
  3. Timmer wrote
    Familiar with a lot more than just Ladyhawke now eh Ralph? cool

Yup. Though she belongs to the "nice & beautiful" faction (aka The Village; scores like AVP:R would make her scream in agony), she is perfectly able to deal with some really geeky stuff.

Thor's a big fan of that score cheesy

I like it in the context of the movie. Couldn´t imagine any other score. We both love the movie dearly, and this score is a very important part of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Ladyhawke is a real good score!!

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    Wow....cool to see LADYHAWKE get some sweet lovin'!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    Thor wrote
    Wow....cool to see LADYHAWKE get some sweet lovin'!

Obviously not alone Thor? cool

To this day I've still not heard the score or seen the film? And I still do because of all the fuss, mostly at the FSM board in years past.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    Well, then get going! Those are TWO things on the to do-list now....LADYHAWKE (either score or film) and Rick Wright's BROKEN CHINA album! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2009
    My new lady friend (girl friend isn't politically correct anymore) has little interest although she tries.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    My new lady friend (girl friend isn't politically correct anymore) has little interest although she tries.

That attitude alone already elicits a definite thumbs-up from me! cool

(Not that you were particularly for my approval, I guess... )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    My new lady friend (girl friend isn't politically correct anymore)

Are you flippin' serious? rolleyes

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've been corrected Erik several times over it. She is a wonderful person and not a feminist in anyway. I'm also known as her special man friend.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I've been corrected Erik several times over it. She is a wonderful person and not a feminist in anyway. I'm also known as her special man friend.
    Thomas smile

I didn't know that Tom?

I would suggest using PC terms like "babe", "Chick" and "Honey".

Failing that "bitch"ll do wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I've been corrected Erik several times over it.

Are you flippin' serious? rolleyes

sdtom wrote
    She is a wonderful person and not a feminist in anyway. I'm also known as her special man friend.

What ever floats your boat... but seriously? You can't call her your girlfriend. Good lord!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

I didn't know that Tom?

I would suggest using PC terms like "babe", "Chick" and "Honey".

And give her a nice smack on the ass afterwords. They love that kind of stuff.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is the term boy and girl when people are in there 50's and 60's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    I'm also known as her special man friend.

I swear AMericans have gone off the deep end as far as offensensitivity is concerned.
    "Special man friend"... Good heavens. That sounds like something you should take medication for. Or carry Mace against... slant

Timmer wrote
    Failing that "bitch"ll do wink

That shouldn't have made me laugh.

...but it so did. christmas_biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn