• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Okay, time to open a new Hans Zimmer thread. A fresh start.

Hopefully, with a little less controversy now.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013
    Well, this should be a massive hit.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What are we going to talk about???
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, I dunno.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. The horror, the horror!

But seriously: What was the earliest thing that brought HZ to your attention? For me it was the main theme from "Rain Man". I catched it somewhere and I would run around humming the tune but noone could help me.

Eventually I found out when I saw the film.

Among the first CDs I owned on CD ??!? OK, one of the first scores. Recently I bought the Preserverance edition from Thor.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I first became aware of him when I bought the soundtrack to Castaway by Stanley Myers. I never liked anything I heard solely credited to Zimmer until BACKDRAFT which I thought ( and still think ) is excellent, that was the score that made me sit up and take notice, ever since then it's been an up/down love/hate relationship with his music.

As for Man of Steel, I'll be seeing it tomorrow.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Oh, I dunno.

Very good! biggrin

...now if you'll permit me to be highly unoriginal for a moment
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Well, this should be a massive hit.

cool

I can't remember which sci-fi author wrote it but I remember reading a story about what would happen if Supes impregnated Lois Lane, I think that went along the lines of an orgasm blowing her to pieces and if somehow coupling was achieved there'd be a real problem with Supes millions of super sperm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    I tread lightly on these water...but i rather love Zimmer as i think he is one of the easiest to like when beginning to get into film music. I don't see that as a bad thing.
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sarah wrote
    I tread lightly on these water...but i rather love Zimmer as i think he is one of the easiest to like when beginning to get into film music. I don't see that as a bad thing.

I can think of better composers than Zimmer to enter into the world of film music such as John Williams.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Sarah wrote

I can think of better composers than Zimmer to enter into the world of film music such as John Williams.
    Tom smile

In these "modern" times Tom, it is very common for "new" film score fans to come through the door being held open by Hans Zimmer, THE ROCK seems to be the most popular doorway from the many fan replies I've read on boards over the years, due to his continuing popularity just as many would have come via Pirates of The Caribbean and Batman.

I'm very VERY happy that I got into film music before Hans Zimmer existed, hell, when I got into scores even JOHN WILLIAMS was an unknown dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I usually recommend that people start with the Gerhardt series so I'm really dating myself.
    Tom smile
  3. sdtom wrote
    I usually recommend that people start with the Gerhardt series so I'm really dating myself.
    Tom smile

Charles Gerhardt !!! punk
  4. Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Sarah wrote

Tom smile

In these "modern" times Tom, it is very common for "new" film score fans to come through the door being held open by Hans Zimmer, THE ROCK seems to be the most popular doorway from the many fan replies I've read on boards over the years, due to his continuing popularity just as many would have come via Pirates of The Caribbean and Batman.

I'm very VERY happy that I got into film music before Hans Zimmer existed, hell, when I got into scores even JOHN WILLIAMS was an unknown dizzy

One of the great mystries this plane of existence still holds for me is whether The Rock was CHIEFLY composed by Hans Zimmer or Nick Glenny-Smith.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I detest that score. It could be composed by widow twanky for all I care.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Vice versa, I adore that score to pieces; the one that really cemented my love for Zimmer (even though I was aware of him long before that and even owned a couple of albums). The main themes are Zimmer's and then Glennie-Smith, Gregson-Williams and Harper composed the "rest", using Zimmer's themes. Maybe Pawel can be more specific. Great stuff, regardless!

BEYOND RANGOON will forever be my Zimmer favourite, however, and is also my 5th favourite score of all time in my present Top 10 ranking list!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom smile

Charles Gerhardt !!! punk

punk x 1000!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Vice versa, I adore that score to pieces; the one that really cemented my love for Zimmer (even though I was aware of him long before that and even owned a couple of albums). The main themes are Zimmer's and then Glennie-Smith, Gregson-Williams and Harper composed the "rest", using Zimmer's themes. Maybe Pawel can be more specific. Great stuff, regardless!

BEYOND RANGOON will forever be my Zimmer favourite, however, and is also my 5th favourite score of all time in my present Top 10 ranking list!

I don't think BEYOND RANGOON would make my top 200, considering how much I enjoy it I wonder where the top ( or should that be 'Bottom' ) 00's start where it's scores I don't like? I have a feeling it's somewhere in the 900 range though I really have no idea.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Sarah wrote

Tom smile

One of the great mystries this plane of existence still holds for me is whether The Rock was CHIEFLY composed by Hans Zimmer or Nick Glenny-Smith.

Glennie-Smith. Hans wanted even to have his credit taken off the movie, but they didn't let him.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Okay, time to open a new Hans Zimmer thread. A fresh start.

Hopefully, with a little less controversy now.

Good luck with that!

But where am I going to complain about all the fanboy love in the reviews I am reading?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. I still have to do MY review wink

but first the movie, then I'm going to listen to the music for the first time. So I have no clue what to expect
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The amount of interest is incredible!!!
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Sarah wrote

Tom smile

Glennie-Smith. Hans wanted even to have his credit taken off the movie, but they didn't let him.

If I was Hans I'd want my credit removed from this turd too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The amount of interest is incredible!!!
    Tom smile

There you go Tom, just do nothing but review Hans Zimmer scores and you are guaranteed massive feedback.....................the downside is that you'll have to listen to a lot of Hans Zimmer scores. wink
  8. Say, Timmer, is there anything composed by HZ that you actually like? Or do you simply hate him for the part he had in the genral development of film music over the last two decades? confused

V.
  9. He loves The Thin Red Line for example and some other scores. He is also a fan of Inception smile

What I call a reasonable critic - not a hater, disliking his music, but giving credit where credit is due and when critical, making a point.

A lot of it being what I love about this very level-headed forum. I might like what I like and I feel respected for it, even if my views might sometimes be controversial.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Say, Timmer, is there anything composed by HZ that you actually like? Or do you simply hate him for the part he had in the genral development of film music over the last two decades? confused

V.

I don't hate him at all, People like Assad and Mugabe and the like get my hatred, not a film composer. wink Many of my comments are said with a mischievous twinkle in my eye devil

Yes, there are a number of Zimmer scores I like...

K2 ( some of it )
    BACKDRAFT
    THE THIN RED LINE
    HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS
    BEYOND RANGOON
    THE DA VINCI CODE
    CRIMSON TIDE ( some of it )
    HANNIBAL
    INCEPTION
  10. I have a great liking for the music for The Rock - except for the car chase sequence. The music is exciting, usually well put together and, sometimes, quite emotionally charged.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. Tim, have you heard The Prince of Egypt? One of my controversial opinions about Hans is that I find that score better than Gladiator! If not, try it out, at least find Burning Bush on youtube. Oh, and Red Sea.

A lot of detractors also like The Last Samurai a lot, though I don't like about a third of it in the movie and it might be (rightfully) regarded as The Thin Red Line-lite (basically the same type of structure and development, but without the metaphysical sound, it sounds more "realistic" and it's very neoclassical).

And have you tried Frost/Nixon? Except Inception it's my favourite score from the man since Da Vinci Code.
  12. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Say, Timmer, is there anything composed by HZ that you actually like? Or do you simply hate him for the part he had in the genral development of film music over the last two decades? confused

V.

I don't hate him at all, People like Assad and Mugabe and the like get my hatred, not a film composer wink Many of my comments are said with a mischievous twinkle in my eye devil

Yes, there are a number of Zimmer scores I like...

K2 ( some of it )
    BACKDRAFT
    THE THIN RED LINE
    HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS
    BEYOND RANGOON
    THE DA VINCI CODE
    CRIMSON TIDE ( some of it )
    HANNIBAL
    INCEPTION

OK, "hate" was the wrong word, I didn't want to imply anything here.

As I can see we are both connoiseurs of the work of the earlier Zimmer. Of alle the scores named above only "Beyond Ragoon" and "Hannibal" are not in my collection.

V.