• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013
    Days Of Thunder will get a release next week

Next Tuesday, Nov 5, 2013 at 12 pm NOON pst La-La Land Records is honored to be releasing

DAYS OF THUNDER
    MUSIC BY HANS ZIMMER
    LIMITED EDITION OF 3000 UNITS
    LLLCD 1290
    RETAIL PRICE $19.98

PRODUCED BY DAN GOLDWASSER
    MASTERED BY DOUG SCHWWARTZ AT MULHOLLAND MUSIC
    LINER NOTES BY TIM GREIVING
    ART DIRECTION BY DAN GOLDWASSER

Supervised by film producer Jerry Bruckheimer and star Tom Cruise, and dedicated to the memory of the late great director Tony Scott, Han’s Zimmer’s racing epic DAYS OF THUNDER makes its world premiere release on CD! Clocking in at over 70 minutes, and featuring a number of bonus tracks as well as the song “The Last Note of Freedom” by David Coverdale, fans of that awesome late 80’s/early 90’s Zimmer sound have to wait no longer as this adrenaline fueled, supercharged Zimmer CLASSIC finally makes its way on CD! Gorgeous art direction by Dan Goldwasser and in depth liner notes by Tim Greiving complement this fantastic, long overdue release! Fascinating, behind the scenes stories by producer Jerry Bruckheimer and star Tom Cruise are a true highlight of this package. Race to grab your copy today!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013 edited
    I wonder if Hans Zimmer or any composer come to think on it, ever frequent these message boards reading all these comments about themselves?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I wonder if Hans Zimmer or any composer come to think on it, ever frequent these message boards reading all these comments about themselves?

I doubt it. Zimmer seems to be content with facebook, twitter and maybe the odd techie forum.

Have we ever had any internationally famous film composers here (no offense to those composers we DO have)?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I think Chris Tilton used to be a frequent film music board contributor, didn't he?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Jeff Rona once stopped by to defend himself when people were lambasting the choice to have him compose music (that turned out to be fabulous IMO) for the Beijing Olympics.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Here at maintitles?

I know there have been a couple at FSM -- Stu Philips, Russ Garcia, Michael Giacchino (he looked at FSM, anyway).

What about Bear McCreary? Isn't he a maintitles friend of sorts?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013
  2. BasilB wrote
    This is getting ridiculous...
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/10/31 … usic-team/

I hope that Zimmer isn't planning on composing a score for a four-piece band. Because, at the moment, that's what it looks like.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013
    Hello Mr. Knife... meet Mr. Ear Drum.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. The Buggles II

Remote Control killed the film music star
    Remote Control killed the film music star
    In my mind and in my car,
    we can't rewind we've gone too far.
    Horn of Doom came and broke your heart
    Put the blame on Hans Zimmer.

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2013
    Whether the score is good or not, I am intrigued to hear this one. However there does seem something "gimmicky" about it, Zimmer got a bunch of famous drummers together for Man of Steel and did something very ordinary with them.

It reminds me of the time that self inflated opinion of himself STING did his album The Dream of The Blue Turtles ( which, to be fair, is not bad at all ) where he got together some of the biggest names in Jazz only for them to play very "ordinary" music that any good session musician could have played.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Judging by his choices (three guitarists, drummer, himself on synth), it may be pretty much a live (this time the budget will allow an orchestra) version of Rush. Maybe what spoke to him is the nerdy character of Peter Parker, basically there is a bit of teenage angst to the whole Spiderman story. I am not trying to judge anything, I'm not very excited for this one.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Whether the score is good or not, I am intrigued to hear this one. However there does seem something "gimmicky" about it, Zimmer got a bunch of famous drummers together for Man of Steel and did something very ordinary with them.

I disagree with the "ordinary" part of the comment. The percussive sound might not have carried itself well on screen, but I certainly feel that the overall timbre is strikingly unique. I do think that I would have preferred that he spent the money on a live orchestra for all of the material relating to Clark Kent->Superman, and keeping the synthy stuff for Zod and Krypton.
  5. The thing is that it was intended as in unison from the start. I don't think he ever explained why he wanted it, though. It's somethiing I don't fully get.

To me Zod is the bane of the score, really. While Hans addressed the identity theme of the film very well (even in the simple fact that the Krypton motif and the Clark Kent theme which the final Superman theme derives from are the same melodies, but in different keys - Krypton is minor key, Clark Kent is major key) and Flight very nicely delivers a failed Superman theme for a failed attempt to have Clark accept his Kal-El identity in the final flight, featuring the Kal-El *theme* (deriving from Krypton's motif) in full glory, that's all very good. But the score fails when Zod appears, because so related to the main theme of the film (the best thing about the script along with the scene where little Clark locks himself at school), this part of the plot is scored in the most generic way possible, I think.

I'd also have preferred not a different approach, but a different *mix* of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2013
    the oimporant thing to remember is that hans zimmer is the greatst composer ever.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2013
    Many a "true" opinion spoken in drunken jest. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2013
    Thor wrote
    the oimporant thing to remember is that hans zimmer is the greatst composer ever.

I know what you mean THor! He'$^there with John Willuams and John F Barry.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2013
    Az én légpárnás tele van angolna.
  6. alright, 10 minute track of The Final Race punk

DAYS OF THUNDER
    Music by Hans Zimmer
    Limited Edition of 3000 Units

STARTS SHIPPING NOV 5

La-La Land Records and Paramount Pictures present the world premiere release of acclaimed composer Hans Zimmer’s (BLACK RAIN, THELMA & LOUISE, THE DARK KNIGHT, MAN OF STEEL) full-throttle original score to the 1990 racing drama feature DAYS OF THUNDER, starring Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman and Robert Duvall, and directed by Tony Scott. After waiting decades, film music enthusiasts have finally been rewarded with a worthy release of this Zimmer classic. Clocking in at over 70 minutes, this CD absolutely roars with the kind of blistering dramatic action scoring that vividly demonstrates how Zimmer became one of filmdom’s most important contemporary composers. Rounding out the music presentation are some notable bonus tracks and the song “The Last Note of Freedom,” performed by David Cloverdale. Produced by Dan Goldwasser and mastered by Doug Schwartz, this special limited release of 3000 Units was supervised by the film’s producer, Jerry Bruckheimer and star Tom Cruise. The sleek art design is by Dan Goldwasser, with exclusive, in-depth liner notes by film music writer Tim Greiving, which include feature comments from Bruckheimer and Cruise. This release is dedicated to the late Tony Scott.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Days of Thunder (Main Title) 3:08
    2. Rowdy Drives/Who Is This Driver? 2:06
    3. Let Me Drive/Cole Drives Rowdy’s Car 2:26
    4. Car Building 2:05
    5. Darlington – Cole Wins 4:47
    6. You’re Home/Daytona Race/The Crash 3:29
    7. The Hospital 2:20
    8. Wheelchair Race 0:37
    9. Rental Car Race* 3:50
    10. Claire Arrives at Her Apartment 1:55
    11. Physical Kiss 1:05
    12. Cole Blows His Engine 1:10
    13. Wheeler/Cole Smashes 2:25
    14. Cole at the Laundry/Cole Agrees to Drive Rowdy’s Car 2:11
    15. Cole and Harry Fight/Harry Talks to Car 2:52
    16. Cole in Truck/Pre-Race 3:52
    17. The Last Race 10:20
    18. “The Last Note of Freedom” 4:57
    performed by David Coverdale

BONUS TRACKS
    19. The Hospital (alternate) 2:21
    20. Wheelchair Race (alternate) 0:38
    21. Claire Arrives at Her Apartment (alternate ending) 1:53
    22. Cole Blows His Engine (alternate) 1:12
    23. Pre-Race (alternate mix) 2:25
    24. Days of Thunder (Main Title) (rock arrangement) 4:59
    TOTAL ALBUM TIME 71:14
    * contains material not used in film
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2013 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    alright, 10 minute track of The Final Race punk

DAYS OF THUNDER
    Music by Hans Zimmer
    Limited Edition of 3000 Units

ORDERED!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2013 edited
    Interview with Pharell Williams , regarding his recent involvement with film music, Hans Zimmer, etc.

http://www.filmmusicmedia.com/interview … llwilliams
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Hey, glad to have you back!

What did you think of Rush? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am slooowwwwwly coming back, whenever i find time which for a long time won't happen often wink I haven't seen RUSH yet so i reserve final judgement but on cd, it didn't do much for me; but as people who've watched Rush told me, it's very connected to the movie so it's natural that i can't connect emotionally on cd alone. But 2013 is an insanely good year for scores anyway, i am having huge difficulties narrowing down to top 10 wink
  8. Yeah, it's a perfect score for the film and the CD does suffer from a far from perfect sequencing (more than anything, it's about the sequence of tracks than the choice, though, to be honest, I'd leave the songs out, because the narrative of the score is pretty careful and it's ruined by the songs, they should be either out of the album completely or put at the beginning/end of it).

It is a pretty good year, indeed, though some of the names we expected so much from didn't end up releasing (Desplat) or writing (Horner) much...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote
    I am slooowwwwwly coming back, whenever i find time which for a long time won't happen often wink I haven't seen RUSH yet so i reserve final judgement but on cd, it didn't do much for me; but as people who've watched Rush told me, it's very connected to the movie so it's natural that i can't connect emotionally on cd alone. But 2013 is an insanely good year for scores anyway, i am having huge difficulties narrowing down to top 10 wink

Hi , great to see you back smile
    I just posted a best of 2013 thread, feel free to add more than your top 10!!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2013
    I will, soon smile Pawel, i loved his heavily-TTRL-influenced, but still very good "SOLOMON" cue from 12 years a slave.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    I will, soon smile Pawel, i loved his heavily-TTRL-influenced, but still very good "SOLOMON" cue from 12 years a slave.

I haven't heard it yet but don't you think Journey To The Line* has already been diluted to an ineffectual death?

*Please tell me I'm assuming correctly on TTRL influence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The thin red line, yeap. I love it so much as an inspiration , i don't get bored by it when done correctly wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I do. It's lazy. Still, this is some dick-wad who insists his/her composer "copy" it rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    The score for 12 YEARS A SLAVE (and I mean the complete score, as heard in the film) definitely is NOT a mere 'copy' of TRL, and Steve McQueen definitely is NOT a dick-wad. 12 YEARS A SLAVE ranks among the, if not is THE best film of 2013 on many levels.