• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Batman v Superman (2016) - Hans Zimmer; Junkie Holkenborg)

I feel compelled to take the minority position here. I like this score.

smile Volker

I'm glad there are people that like it, but for me this is not Hans Zimmer but a Junkie XL score. And it shows in the quality
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016 edited
    I must say I was shocked when I heard it at first, because it seemed like such a bad choice for WW, and the score in general didn't connect with me in any way, not even with all the MoS references (a score which I really did like).

Then I saw the movie, and damn me, they were right (Zimmer & Junkie, I mean). I mean, I get that people don't like the movie and/or the score, but in context (yeah, here we are again), the score worked great and had me on the edge of my seat, especially at those WW moments.

And that's all I'm gonna say about it.
  2. My review of BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2016/03/29/batma … olkenborg/

Jon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016
    For anyone interested, Hans Zimmer is on BBC 1 The One Show at 7.00pm today.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Watching it now. Why Frank Skinner? uhm (Not that I have anything against Frank Skinner, aside from his love of football and Christianity.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Because it's a semi-rhyme with Hans Zimmer.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

And pointed out on the show smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Watching it now. Why Frank Skinner? uhm (Not that I have anything against Frank Skinner, aside from his love of football and Christianity.)

Why not? Most chat shows have oddly placed guests.

It didn't surprise me that Frank's a fan, I saw him and his old sparring parner David Baddiel at John Barry's concert in 1998.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Why not? Most chat shows have oddly placed guests.

True, but the One Show usually has just the one oddly placed guest. Anyway. I do like Frank Skinner, he's always on point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

And pointed out on the show smile

It were? uhm
    I thought I'd surely be the only one pathetically daft enough to make that particular non-connection.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016 edited
    It were. Never have two women presenters... #patriachy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jon Broxton wrote
    My review of BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2016/03/29/batma … olkenborg/

Jon

A beautiful review!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Not that I have anything against Frank Skinner, aside from his love of football

I'm not a footie fan either but I used to really enjoy Fantasy football, like this extraordinary episode with guests Jean Michel Jarre and a pissed up Brigitte Nielsen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Not that I have anything against Frank Skinner, aside from his love of football

I'm not a footie fan either but I used to really enjoy Fantasy football, like this extraordinary episode with guests Jean Michel Jarre and a pissed up Brigitte Nielsen.

That was....bizarre. Poor Jean-Michel (but he's an old rocker, so he can deal with it)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Reminds me a bit of the Serge Gainsbourg/Whitney Houston debacle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef87G5MDYfM
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    For anyone interested, Hans Zimmer is on BBC 1 The One Show at 7.00pm today.

I suppose he was never likely to receive the most insightful questions, but he'd probably have been able to have a more revealing conversation with a cat than with those presenters (cute though they are). Having said that, I'm pleased that in what was probably the most-viewed live interview he's done in his life, more time was spent talking about Going for Gold than anything else!

He probably needs a few Goldsmith or Williams-style "ready-made anecdotes" ready for these occasions that he can trot out regardless of what he's asked, to avoid the slightly awkward pauses.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He did a pretty good job with his Gladiator anecdote I thought. But yes, a cat, though for some far less sexually appealing than Alex Jones, would indeed have made a better interviewer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2016
    Thor wrote
    Reminds me a bit of the Serge Gainsbourg/Whitney Houston debacle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef87G5MDYfM

A classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

Good point biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    I suppose he was never likely to receive the most insightful questions

Well, it didn't take long for that to be corrected. There's a superb 25 minute interview with him on the BBC News channel's "Hard Talk" programme, which is available to download from iPlayer. Highly recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2016
    There are actually some incredibly difficult questions in it -

Does the fact that your live show involves a huge visual spectacle not confirm that film music just can't work alone, without some visuals to go with it?
    There's too much music in films, isn't there?
    Doesn't the fact that they've made Batman v Superman just confirm that Hollywood's run out of ideas?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's "difficult"? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, it's more difficult than "Where does your inspiration come from?" and "Did you know when you worked on XYZ that it would be so successful?" A rarely well-briefed interviewer, this one, not interested in promotional fluff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Agree. Far harsher than the usual shite.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Does the fact that your live show involves a huge visual spectacle not confirm that film music just can't work alone, without some visuals to go with it?

Not true when the composers conducting their own works are named John Barry, John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Henry Mancini.......
  3. Southall wrote
    Well, it's more difficult than "Where does your inspiration come from?" and "Did you know when you worked on XYZ that it would be so successful?" A rarely well-briefed interviewer, this one, not interested in promotional fluff.

What did Hans say to the second question? I mean, from what I'm aware every composer would actually say an unequivocal yes at this time.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Not true when the composers conducting their own works are named John Barry, John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Henry Mancini.......

But this has more to do with the era and the fact that the suites were far more meticulously prepared (Williams is probably the only composer right now who not just prepares concert suites but also, properly, gets them actually published) than today.

Come to think of it... who actually prepares concert suites anymore, like, really?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    I suppose he was never likely to receive the most insightful questions

Well, it didn't take long for that to be corrected. There's a superb 25 minute interview with him on the BBC News channel's "Hard Talk" programme, which is available to download from iPlayer. Highly recommended.

Sadly available only in the UK. sad
    I am extremely serious.
  5. There's a 3 min clip on YouTube from the hard talk interview. It's so cringeworthy it's unreal. Can't believe the fuss everyone's making about his "official retirement from superhero movies". I bet it was just a flippant comment. Zimmer never seems particularly prepared for interviews so I bet it just flopped out without really meaning anything.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  6. Sure, when Batman is rebooted in 10 years time, he'll be eager to compose something completely original again. Along with his sidekick, who is now in music composition school.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.