• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Synchrotones wrote
    What a muppet! He was in Gent in 2000. I still got the t-shirt (literally)!

he was here even 2 times before, In 2000 and for the World Soundtrack Awards a couple of years ago. Haha MUPPET biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Martijn wrote
    Come back?
    I've never even been. Nor do I intend to.
    Horrid city, really.

Well that doesn't seem quite fair!

Besides...they have a giant atom! What's not to like? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

True, true. I can't deny that! smile
    OK, well, I just really dislike the REST of the city then.
    ...except for the absolutely lovely Art Deco buildings, which I love.

OH, I feel so CONFLICTED! mad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2016 edited
    In Hamburg he told us about Aurora and all the bad things in the world. I could stay seated.

What a concert what a rush. But really... bring ear plugs. It makes the experience so much more pleasant. In all the loud tracks you can still hear the small details then.

My favourite was The Thin Red Line and the Da Vinci code. And also what Bregt said: the introduction was awesome :-)
  3. Martijn wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

True, true. I can't deny that! smile
    OK, well, I just really dislike the REST of the city then.
    ...except for the absolutely lovely Art Deco buildings, which I love.

OH, I feel so CONFLICTED! mad

I hate Brussels for the simple reason that I've worked there for 20 years and it's a nightmare to traverse by car, one minor accident and there's an immediate traffic jam, due to poor infrastructure and way too many cars during the day. The problem has become much worse overtime. Now I work at the edge of Brussels, so I can ignore downtown and unless I really have to I won't ever set foot in Brussels again.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Public transportation is your friend. At least in Europe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2016
    Caliburn wrote
    In Hamburg he told us about Aurora and all the bad things in the world. I could stay seated.

What a concert what a rush. But really... bring ear plugs. It makes the experience so much more pleasant. In all the loud tracks you can still hear the small details then.

My favourite was The Thin Red Line and the Da Vinci code. And also what Bregt said: the introduction was awesome :-)

I'll be attending the concert this Friday in Germany, so I was wondering, when Hans gives introductory talks and anecdotes about the music, does he do so in German, or does he respect the fact there're also visitors from other countries and is it all in English? (Not that I don't understand German at all, but English would be so much easier for me).
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2016
    He does them in German. But like my German friends told me (I am Dutch), his German is pretty good but he really has to search for his words. Sometimes he starts in English because he forgot that he was supposed to talk German.

TBH he does not say much worth noting. Maybe the Aurora part after the Dark Knight track is where he does a speech about the problems in the world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016
    Ah right, thanks. That's too bad, but I'm Dutch as well, so there's some basic understanding of German in me. But apparently he's been away from Germany so long that he's 'losing' the language a bit? That surprises me, also considering his noticeable German accent when speaking English. Reminds me of Paul Verhoeven with his thick American accent when speaking Dutch, and his heavy Dutch accent when speaking English, niewaar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BobdH wrote
    Reminds me of Paul Verhoeven with his thick American accent when speaking Dutch, and his heavy Dutch accent when speaking English, niewaar?

My first thoughts exactly.
    Saw a talk show with Dutch entrepreneurs in America. Some of them weren't even able to grasp Dutch grammar any more, and several -but amazingly mostly the young ones who had only been away for one or two years- spoke with thick American accents. The older ones, who had been living in the States for decades were absolutely bilingual (although it was funny to hear a clear fifties inflection in their choice of words).

No idea why that was.
    Can't be a generation thing (as you said: Paul Verhoeven pretty much forgot all of his Dutch). And then there is the infamous interview with Regilio Tuur, the Dutch boxer, who, when back here, refused to respond in Dutch and insisted to be allowed tor respond in (heavily accented) English.

My own pet theory is that the less people are actually interested in language (as anything more than a practicality), the quicker they'll lose the abililty to switch.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Yeah, it's weird how Zimmer has an accent in both languages! tongue

Sabrina and I saw him in Berlin last night and honestly, he did fine in German. Even cracked a few jokes about how his band couldn't understand a word he was saying about them and then proceeded to insult them a few times. biggrin

The concert was an extremely entertaining experience. Very Hans. He's a great host, as likeable as you would expect given his interviews. He was wearing a T-shirt that said "Lord forgive me for my synths", for starters. And, of course, everything was mixed in an exceedingly loud drum-heavy wall-of-sound kind of way. That was a little irritating at some points: the drums particularly drowned everything else out in "Why So Serious" and robbed it of a lot of its scrappy anarchic character, and I'm not sure "Journey to the Line" and "No Time for Caution" needed massive rock drum kit at their respective climaxes. "Electro" lost a lot of the layers that make that piece so interesting, too (no bassoon! sad ). And I was never quite sure how much of what I was hearing was being generated onstage by actual instruments and how much was being piped through (since the choir was only men and the "orchestra" consisted of maybe a dozen people, quite a substantial amount). But on the other hand - all of that just is Hans. I guess. rolleyes tongue

I thought it was interesting that the concert was, other than the really early stuff sprinkled throughout like Rain Man, True Romance and Driving Miss Daisy, roughly divided up into the "older-school" melodic/thematic/"hook"-y, outwardly emotional, fun Zimmer stuff in the first half (Crimson Tide, Da Vinci Code, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Lion King, Sherlock Holmes, Gladiator etc), and then switched over into the nu-Hans minimalist stuff for the second (The Dark Knight, Man of Steel, Inception, The Thin Red Line, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Interstellar etc). The result was a pretty big difference in enjoyment of the two halves; it was all fun, of course, but the Zimmer music I truly love was mostly in the first half. Pirates of the Caribbean made for a far stronger close to the first half, in my opinion, than Inception for the second. The crowd was particularly responsive to Gladiator, Pirates, The Lion King, The Dark Knight and Inception, unsurprisingly - but I think it was Pirates that got the loudest applause and cheers of all.

Most entertaining person to watch onstage was Richard Harvey, who played the clarinet solo from Driving Miss Daisy with tons of personality and even put on a bicorne hat for Pirates. biggrin Runner up in that category was drummer Satnam Ramgotra with his epic beard and dazzling white suit.

I was fairly happy with the selection of pieces, too. I mean, realistically speaking they were never going to play Cool Runnings or A League of Their Own. I did hold out slim, sadly-unfulfilled hopes for The Prince of Egypt, King Arthur and/or The Last Samurai, and was actually a little surprised in retrospect that nothing from Backdraft was played. But there's only so much time in an evening, I guess! I personally could have done with a little less Batman or Inception to compensate ("Mombasa", eesh. Hate that track), but people simply expect to hear that stuff.

All in all, we had a great time. Even those flaws I pointed out - of course, if you don't have a pretty significant soft spot for Zimmer in the first place (and I do), it's entirely possible you'll walk away with far more mixed feelings (or even outright annoyance). For my part, they didn't really bother me because they stem in large part from Zimmer's musical personality. For better or for worse, the concert really was a purely Hans experience, a once-in-a-lifetime kind of deal that I think is worth the fairly steep ticket prices.
  6. Martijn wrote
    No idea why that was.
    Can't be a generation thing (as you said: Paul Verhoeven pretty much forgot all of his Dutch). And then there is the infamous interview with Regilio Tuur, the Dutch boxer, who, when back here, refused to respond in Dutch and insisted to be allowed tor respond in (heavily accented) English.

This reminds me of an absolutely hilarious interview with a certain Belgian keeper by a german journalist, only to be watched / understood by dutch-speaking members, that know a word of two in german.

Sit back and laugh.

biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Ok, I want to know whether the above video makes sense to Captain Future. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It made a lot of sense to me! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ED, man, 'Electro' has a lot of layers and is interesting? hehe boy can't get over the fact how crappy the whole score is, imo wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. The Electro theme is indeed full of layers. Better yet, the layers even represent different facets of Electro's schizoid personality and are pulled forwards or backwards in the mix depending on which facet is dominant at the time in the film. Thus you have the slightly goofy clarinet and bassoon parts to represent the nerdy scientist he starts out as, the whisper-chant "voices in his head" (yeah, it's a little on the nose, I'll admit) and ultimately the zapping dubstep effects - while I'm personally not a big fan of dubstep, you can't deny that it makes for pretty apt accompaniment for a supervillain who shoots bolts of lightning out of his arms.

It's a very clever and complex theme in a lot of ways. I think it's kind of weird that you can't hear that but praise Junkie XL for putting stock drums on repeat for 70 minutes and calling it a day for 300: Rise of an Empire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2016
    It has layers i'll give you that. But it's too over-the-place and wacky for my tastes. Joker's derangement was portrait so much better, realistic and down-to-earth with 'why so serious?' now that was a fantastic, clever composition. This is too much for my tastes but then again the whole score is not my cup of tea.
  9. Onions have layers.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Electro is slightly worse than a rotten smelly black onion forgotten somewhere in the kitchen wink
  10. Demetris wrote
    It has layers i'll give you that.

Then why were you mocking me for suggesting that it does? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wasn't mocking man, in sake of debate. Nothing personal, just to get the ball going hre. Yes it has layers, not the good kind of ones though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2016 edited
    Just got back from Hans Zimmer live in Oberhausen. My God that was awesome. In terms of description of the event, that's been done already above here, but I enjoyed it thoroughly start to finish (and was very glad I brought my earplugs). Loved how Zimmer just reinvented most of the pieces for the concert into something of a rock and roll, showmanship version, so you could enjoy them in their new performance and new versions. Loved the intensity of the whole thing, the fun rock vibe of the first half, and the intensity of the (at times almost seizure inducing) lightshow of the second half, aiding to a very impressive show. Also thought Electro worked really well, the playfulness combined with the harshness and the visualisation in lights and surround sound effects in the arena. But highlights were the Dark Knight (Why So Serious, flowing into a strong and harsher Like a Dog Chasing Cars, and then the intensity of Gotham's Reckoning, to then make way for the serenity of the Aurora piece.

Thin Red Line was another highlight; the intensity of the build-up combined with the red lights had something hypnotising, and I thought the climax with band was still very much in sync with the piece, it didn't betray its sound. I'd never thought I'd ever be hearing it like that.

The only moments that seemed out of step for me, was the Lion King segment, Lebo M seeming to contribute something of a balad from his own repertoire, not benownst to me to be something Zimmer wrote, before ultimately segueing into Zimmer's theme and thankfully ending on a good note. It was a rare moment for me that pulled me out of the goosebumps-upon-goosebumps, climax upon climax thrill of the evening, although the ending did seem to make it right ultimately.

By the way, instead of Rain Man, we got Purple Rain at the start of the second half, Zimmer showing tribute to Prince. He said it was something they cooked up during that afternoon, apologising in advance if there'd be any mistakes, but it turned out to be a really, very good rendition of the song, aided of course by the full orchestra and ultimately choir, drenched in the purple lights, with during the song more and more people in the audience deciding to use their phone lights to create a sea of waving lights, with ultimately a standing ovation. I never really connected with Prince, and was at first a bit dismayed, but it turned out to be a lovely tribute.

I was also quite relieved that although it was indeed all in German, I could understand every word Zimmer said. Apparently my German isn't that bad after all. Or Zimmer just chose very basic grammar, because of his own growing clumsiness with the language (to me he seemed fluid, aside from when he couldn't remember the German word for 'wallflower' and had to ask Nick Glennie Smith for the word, which he called Tina).

Anyhow, long story short, LOVED it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2016 edited
    Thanks for the write-up, Bob! I enjoy reading you being in high-octane mode. smile
    It doesn't sound like I would have enjoyed it at all (except maybe as a concert registration on CD), given the volume level and crowded venue. Either of those is enough to get me out of any enjoyment, leave alone the combination of the two

...spoke the man who will attend a Brian Tyler concert.
    Oh well. I am an enigma wrapped in a paradox.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2016
    Thanks Martijn! And I'm nowadays usually the first to point out to my friends the ridiculousness of clubs and concerts wanting to have the music loud enough you need ear plugs to reduce the loudness, but having brought ear plugs this time (and being very glad I did) I didn't have a problem with it this timec- and at moments like Interstellar's apotheosis like conclusion, the huge sound washing over you made sense, with for once the volume of it all adding to the experience. But you're right, this Zimmer concert is probably too much for you. I'm sure you'd enjoy a lot of the first half, but the second half really is mostly for those enjoying his modern, electronic sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016
    Thanks for the review. It is a different view than mine, but be sure, I also had loads of fun. The concert just breathes fun, collaboration and ... is really a Zimmer concert. I just found that some of his music got buried under the heavy finales. But I didn't bring my ear plugs (since this was not prescribed wink ).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2016 edited
    I just saw that Zimmer is scoring Planet Earth 2 together with Jasha Klebe and Jacob Shea.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_II

What!? uhm
    Is that correct?

Anyway, here's the spectacular extended trailer for this new documentary, which will air next month in the UK. I'm envious. Could it be the music for the series?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8aFcHFu8QM

Sigur Ros recomposed their great song Hoppipolla for the other trailer
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latest … hoppipolla
    Kazoo
  11. It is correct (unfortunately), and that is indeed music from the new series (semi-unfortunately; it's okay, but it's not exactly Fenton).
  12. Fenton's music for these things is always appropriate but somehow cold and clinical at the same time. Zimmer will provide a much appreciated infusion of passion and energy, at least to my ears from what we have heard so far and knowing all Fenton's scores. Of course it won't be as traditional or symphonic but then neither is nature itself, never has been.
  13. The laws of nature do seem to abide to tradition though ... wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2016
    Bregt wrote
    I just saw that Zimmer is scoring Planet Earth 2 together with Jasha Klebe and Jacob Shea.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_II

What!? uhm
    Is that correct?

It is my understanding that he only wrote the theme, while other composers are responsible for the actual score. Which is a shame, because I would have loved to hear Zimmer delve into ethnic, lush landscapes again -- back in the early and mid 90s, he was the no. 1 go-to guy in Hollywood for that, and was IMO the very best at it.
    I am extremely serious.