• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    It's close, I'll concede.

On a side note, as films, I like The Thin Red Line more than Saving Private Ryan.

I can't stand The Thin Red Line. Saving Private Ryan on the other hand... yeah... I saw it four times in the theatre and have seen it countless times on DVD. Great film.

-Erik-

I like TRL but there are many times in the film where I think 'get on with it and stop this pretentious nonsense'.

I by far prefer SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and it's the film I've seen multiple times.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I saw SAVING PRIVATE RYAN four times in the cinema. Seemed to be everyone wanted to see that darn film that summer. I never watched it again.

I saw THIN RED LINE five times, and I could have done several more. Everyone who saw it with me did so by invitation. One of those viewers - my military brother - saw it with me three times.

Nuff said. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013
    Timmer wrote

I like TRL but there are many times in the film where I think 'get on with it and stop this pretentious nonsense'.

Bingo! I fell asleep in the theatre when I saw it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. I wish I could present my presentation on it here biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. I think you have, on occasion.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Bingo! I fell asleep in the theatre when I saw it.

I fell into a dream in the theatre without going to sleep along the way, one of the things I truly find extraordinary about that film. And I don't think I've woken up.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013
    What took me out of the film was all the "familiar" faces.

Any fans of Hamburger Hill? I thought that film was better.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. I have a copy of HAMBURGER HILL, which I must see one of these days.

There is something quite ironic about the famous faces in THIN RED LINE -- they're usually playing the officers, and except for Nick Nolte, most come and go pretty briefly. To the average soldier, the Admiral is a bit like John Travolta or George Clooney or Woody Harrelson -- you know the face, but you don't expect to stand next to them. They make little cameos in your day-to-day as a soldier.

That most of the rank and file - at the time - were relative unknowns, whose voice overs weren't easy to tell apart strengthened the sense, for me, of a general gathering of human spirits forced to fight battles they don't understand by forces beyond their control. I didn't sympathise with a character, it was all of humanity I was left feeling for. (Although some individuals do stand out -- Jim Caviezel was such a revelation in that role.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    What took me out of the film was all the "familiar" faces.

Any fans of Hamburger Hill? I thought that film was better.

Yeah, that was a favourite when I saw it 'illegally' as a young teenager. It's a far cry from the artistic brilliance of TRL, but it's still a pretty good film in its own right.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    here is the livestream from the red carpet of The Lone Ranger premiere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Z0ojv9Oy4

hans' music (it sounds like the score) in the backround is amazing. i love the themes, the orchestration and the arrangement of the Wilhelm Tell Overture.
  6. Thanks for sharing!

Parts of the music sound mildly entertaining. The film looks like one of them Lucky Luke flicks.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    The Thin Red Line is probably my favorite movies of all times. A masterpiece. I only saw Saving Private Ryan once and I didn't like it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Lars wrote
    here is the livestream from the red carpet of The Lone Ranger premiere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Z0ojv9Oy4

hans' music (it sounds like the score) in the backround is amazing. i love the themes, the orchestration and the arrangement of the Wilhelm Tell Overture.

It sounds better than MAN OF STEEL......but that's really not saying much.

p.s. If John Williams Superman theme can be dropped then surely someone can drop that ruddy Rossini overture. ( considering I have no intention of seeing this film I really shouldn't care as much as I do rolleyes wink )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote
    The Thin Red Line is probably my favorite movies of all times. A masterpiece. I only saw Saving Private Ryan once and I didn't like it.

What what? is it that makes this film a masterpiece, am I missing something because I really don't get the acclaim it has around these parts.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Franz_Conrad wrote

There is something quite ironic about the famous faces in THIN RED LINE -- they're usually playing the officers, and except for Nick Nolte, most come and go pretty briefly. To the average soldier, the Admiral is a bit like John Travolta or George Clooney or Woody Harrelson -- you know the face, but you don't expect to stand next to them. They make little cameos in your day-to-day as a soldier.

My friend, I think you've lost me. uhm spin
  7. It's a bit like that sword-and-sandals epic strategy of casting famous British stage actors as the romans and slightly more star-like Americans as 'the-oppressed-that-must-rise-up'. Strategic casting. (For another perverse case in point -- casting Cameron Diaz and Catherine Keener in opposite-type roles in BEING JOHN MALKOVITCH. Diaz as frumpy, undesirable wife; Keener as object of desire -- that was a confident casting against expectations.)
  8. Actually, if I remember correctly, Malick had an issue with casting Clooney, because it was a bit part at the end and he was afraid of losing focus or something.

From what I know, a lot of the star-studded casting in The Thin Red Line was demanded by the studio rather than Malick wanted to cast stars himself. We also don't know if Travolta was a bigger part in the final script. Clooney might have.
  9. Clooney had an extra scene, which is on the Criterion DVD.
    Travolta only filmed for a day, I believe. That's most of what he shot. In the script, he has less dialogue than he has in the film.
    I think Malick and his producers were pretty cunning in their use of stars -- they got enough of them to create a star-studded appearance for the marketing, but used them lightly enough that they could avoid paying them much (or ask them to do it for nothing). The people who ended up being the focus of the drama were the ones who were willing to do it all for the least money, which overall makes great financial sense.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013
    An interesting point that I didn't know guys. It puts a slightly different perspective on it for me.
  10. franz_conrad wrote
    Clooney had an extra scene, which is on the Criterion DVD.
    Travolta only filmed for a day, I believe. That's most of what he shot. In the script, he has less dialogue than he has in the film.
    I think Malick and his producers were pretty cunning in their use of stars -- they got enough of them to create a star-studded appearance for the marketing, but used them lightly enough that they could avoid paying them much (or ask them to do it for nothing). The people who ended up being the focus of the drama were the ones who were willing to do it all for the least money, which overall makes great financial sense.

I still have to watch the deleted scenes. I am most interested in the Mickey Rourke one, which he regards (or regarded) as one of, if not THE, best performances he ever gave.
  11. It could be I'm too used to seeing the film as it is, but there were wasn't much in that 14 minutes that I thought would easily fit back into the film. (Rourke included -- it doubles a bit for another scene where Witt meets someone while walking from village to camp.)
  12. Oh yeah, the wounded guy they left, because he was stalling them.
  13. Review of Man of Steel
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013
    Good review, Thomas.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    "Bleak colorless action music"? What are you people listening to? confused

Tracks like "If You Love These People" are the very reason I got into film music in the first place, and I would think you Thomas of all people would understand that...but you seem to have drunk the kool-aid too... sad
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote

Yes, that is wrong.

It's Bleak coloUrless action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I think the way Zimmer captured the "Americana" naive hopeful heroic feeling without resorting to any of the expected Copland/Williams/etc tricks is absolutely brilliant and the mark of a true musical genius.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  14. Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

Yes, that is wrong.

face-palm-mt

That comes from the president of the British Snobby Club. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013 edited
    edit: wrong thread
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

Yes, that is wrong.

yeah lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!