• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Aidabaida wrote
    I react negatively to the word 'simplistic' because a) it's a negative word to begin with, and b) it is in no way representative of Zimmer's music. It is not one of those 'recurrent features' I would list in an attempt to 'summarize' his work, as you say.

Okay, thanks for the explanation. So, looking back at the actual quote, do you disagree that Zimmer's music is essentially techno/rock fused with orchestra?

I'll chip in and say: it depends. So saying that is another broad generalization. You could argue that Hans has what's essentially big prog rock pieces in the mid-90s and in some cases even early 90s. You could argue about the David Gilmour influence on Thelma & Louise which makes it similar to the more mellow Pink Floyd songs. You could probably make a point that a prog rock/concept album aspect is the 20+ minute tracks on scores like K2 (though Hans didn't edit that album into suites, that was Robert Townson personally) or Crimson Tide, or a bit shorter like The Peacemaker.

But for every Crimson Tide you have Fools of Fortune (you'd have to intently listen to it to find synths there except some fragments), The House of the Spirits, the Mozartesque Nine Months (in fact it features a theme taken from Mozart's Clarinet Concerto almost verbatim), As Good As It Gets or Spanglish (posted by BobdH here), which have NO synths at all. You have the classical influences in Gladiator. Would you call The Thin Red Line a techno/rock piece fused with orchestra? Would you call The Last Samurai that? Da Vinci Code? Frost/Nixon?

The man HAS stylistic traits. He HAS that. But dumbing him down just to "rock fused with an orchestra" or even calling his music techno which Thor will explain better, is just plain unfair.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2017
    PawelStroinski wrote

I'll chip in and say: it depends. So saying that is another broad generalization. You could argue that Hans has what's essentially big prog rock pieces in the mid-90s and in some cases even early 90s. You could argue about the David Gilmour influence on Thelma & Louise which makes it similar to the more mellow Pink Floyd songs. You could probably make a point that a prog rock/concept album aspect is the 20+ minute tracks on scores like K2 (though Hans didn't edit that album into suites, that was Robert Townson personally) or Crimson Tide, or a bit shorter like The Peacemaker.

But for every Crimson Tide you have Fools of Fortune (you'd have to intently listen to it to find synths there except some fragments), The House of the Spirits, the Mozartesque Nine Months (in fact it features a theme taken from Mozart's Clarinet Concerto almost verbatim), As Good As It Gets or Spanglish (posted by BobdH here), which have NO synths at all. You have the classical influences in Gladiator. Would you call The Thin Red Line a techno/rock piece fused with orchestra? Would you call The Last Samurai that? Da Vinci Code? Frost/Nixon?

The man HAS stylistic traits. He HAS that. But dumbing him down just to "rock fused with an orchestra" or even calling his music techno which Thor will explain better, is just plain unfair.

The whole nature of generalizations is that they aren't always correct. I certainly wouldn't say that the whole Thin Red Line Score is based on rock music, but you look at the steady, rhythmic, repetitive building of "Journey to The Line", and you look at the Last Samurai's lyrical, lengthy pieces and rhythmic action cues, and Frost/Nixon's percussive, ostinato based cues, and I personally see a pattern.

That Spanglish cue is a great example; it has a foundation of rugged strings and strumming, and a lyrical tune carried overhead. In pop-music, that tune would be the vocalist, but Zimmer replaces the vocalist with a solo instrument or a massive brass section.

I don't think it's "dumbing him down", to try to identify a pattern, and I don't think we throw out the pattern just because it's not correct in every case. It's just a recurrent feature of his music, not necessarily a master skeleton key for analyzing every piece he's ever written.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  2. I believe Williams is neither classical or romantic nor modern or post-modern (Whatever that is). His music is brilliant in about every way and there often is a recognizable sound. Still, his style is eclectic. He simulates certain classical composers, like Stravinsky (Star Wars), Mahler (Sleepers) or Tchaikovsky (Harry Potter) or Copland (Cowboys). I think the most popular example is Hedwig's Theme that clearly is derived from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker. In contrast to Horner, Williams only borrows the style, not the melodies. smile
    Williams is deeply routed in the classical tradition of western music. The eras and composers are like a palette to him from witch he takes the colours he needs. Of course he does it in the most elegant way.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2017
    I hear the spirit of Vaughan Williams through a lot of his work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. The pastoral style is part of that palette indeed. Think of the Grail theme from Indiana Jones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    The pastoral style is part of that palette indeed. Think of the Grail theme from Indiana Jones.

Dude, that's my socalled 'religious sound' you're talking about. Which I've only mentioned, like, 500 times over the years. I even wrote an article on it once, but alas it's no longer online. The grail theme (or rather "The Penitant Man Will Pass") is but one of MANY examples in Williams' oeuvre.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I believe Williams is neither classical or romantic nor modern or post-modern (Whatever that is). His music is brilliant in about every way and there often is a recognizable sound. Still, his style is eclectic. He simulates certain classical composers, like Stravinsky (Star Wars), Mahler (Sleepers) or Tchaikovsky (Harry Potter) or Copland (Cowboys). I think the most popular example is Hedwig's Theme that clearly is derived from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker. In contrast to Horner, Williams only borrows the style, not the melodies. smile
    Williams is deeply routed in the classical tradition of western music. The eras and composers are like a palette to him from witch he takes the colours he needs. Of course he does it in the most elegant way.

Volker

I think what you're describing is pretty much what Audissino describes in his book when using the word neoclassical.

I agree that a label seems to ruin something. Someone once said that if you pick up an anthology of 'steampunk' short stories, you'll often find that every author featured inside has, at one time or another, vehemently denied being a steampunk author. You don't want to get boxed into a genre. Thankfully, I think the term 'neo-classical' is fairly broad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2017 edited
    I think, in general, it's fine to use generalizations when speaking about composers to give an idea of what said composer sounds like, when in conversation. However, once you create an oversimplification of a certain composer based on generalizations and then start criticizing this composer based on that oversimplification, you're not treating the composer fairly. What's more, once you're trying to make an academic point on this composer, you're even obligated to paint a more thorough picture of the composers work to give the reader a more wholesome understanding of this composer which cannot be found in general discussions on message boards. And as pointed out above, the examples that speak against the oversimplified generalization of Zimmer are simply too numerous to ignore, and even come a long way in making those generalizations mute. There's simply too much leeway to go, as a reader, hold on, that doesn't sound right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2017
    BobdH wrote
    I think, in general, it's fine to use generalizations when speaking about composers to give an idea of what said composer sounds like, when in conversation. However, once you create an oversimplification of a certain composer based on generalizations and then start criticizing this composer based on that oversimplification, you're not treating the composer fairly. What's more, once you're trying to make an academic point on this composer, you're even obligated to paint a more thorough picture of the composers work to give the reader a more wholesome understanding of this composer which cannot be found in general discussions on message boards. And as pointed out above, the examples that speak against the oversimplified generalization of Zimmer are simply too numerous to ignore, and even come a long way in making those generalizations mute. There's simply too much leeway to go, as a reader, hold on, that doesn't sound right.

I agree with this, but it seems to me as if any summary/analysis, no matter if its critical or not (I mean the quote I posted said his scores were 'effective but rather similar to one another', which isn't really a haymaker) gets treated as negative, especially when posted about Zimmer. I've noticed this several times on Film Score Monthly as well, fans seemed to demand that nontraditional film composers be judged on some type of lower standard, or at least a very different standard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    The pastoral style is part of that palette indeed. Think of the Grail theme from Indiana Jones.

If you know RVW's music the influence is beyond the pastoral but unlike James Horner* never directly rips off any classical composers, JW channels. IMO RVW is JW's biggest influence, particularly his string writing.

*not having a go, JH uses direct quotes brilliantly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Timmer wrote

but unlike James Horner* never directly rips off any classical composers, JW channels.

Except Stravinsky's The Sacrifice-Introduction.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Aidabaida wrote
    Timmer wrote

but unlike James Horner* never directly rips off any classical composers, JW channels.

Except Stravinsky's The Sacrifice-Introduction.

Now you're nit-picking wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Timmer wrote

Now you're nit-picking wink

Hey! I was just pointing out your generalizations. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Zimmer is tits. good firm round tight young tits. And we love him.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. "Channelling" other composers is what I meant by "borrowing the style". He also has taken inspiration from fellow film composers like Korngold (again Star Wars) or Hermann (The Fury).

By the way, this only goes for the film compositions of John Williams. Talking about his concert hall work would be another matter altogether.

Volker
  5. Demetris wrote

Thanks for summarizing our discussion. wink
  6. Aidabaida wrote
    I recently picked up a book called "John Williams's Film Music", which is essentially a scholarly deconstruction of John's neoclassical style, with a whole chapter devoted to analyzing Raiders of the Lost Ark.

He goes on to write about Hans Zimmer, writing a paragraph that I think perfectly summarizes the man in accurate language.

With the help of computers, many orchestrators and arrangers (Who can definitely be called ghostwriters in these cases), musicians who would not be able to write music in the traditional way, become composers of "symphonic" music. Hans Zimmer, a self-taught keyboardist with a background in rock music and whose specialty is scoring action films, can be considered the epitome of contemporary eclecticism. His music is a kind of rock/techno arranged for symphony orchestra by a team of collaborators, arrangers, and orchestrators. Zimmer is famous for having founded Media Ventures, later renamed Remote Control Productions, a firm specializing in film scores co-written by a pool of musicians, a sort of factory where Zimmer seems to act more as an executive producer and coordinator than a composer. His idiom can be recognized by simple motifs characterized by hompohony, basic chord progressions, no contrapuntal writing or use of inner voices, synthesizer pads as harmonic backing for the acoustical instruments, a pounding rhythmic section, and overwhelmingly low frequencies. Like techno music, all these elements have a strong, visceral, and immediate impact on the listener. The results are effective, but are all quite similar to each other..His music is very direct and has no virtuoso writing pretensions that would require aural foregrounding; he employs instead visceral and pulsating rhythms along with basic melodies with uncomplicated textures that act as a background to the sound effects' starring role. Zimmer's music blends perfectly with the aggressive sound design of contemporary cinema.

I'll just allow myself to use the original quote and dissect it to see if it's a case of different standards or is it a case of essentially a veiled insult trying to sound academic.

1. Many orchestrators and arrangers:

It's not a relevant argument. Composers use orchestrators mostly for time purposes and not because they couldn't do it if time allowed it. The sheer number doesn't matter. James Horner (while he was on the team himself) used at times 4-5 orchestrators and started orchestrating on his own pretty late in the game (wasn't it Braveheart that was his first sole orchestration credit?). Reportedly Michael Kamen's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was a case of "hey, who wants to contribute a bit?". Kamen wasn't exactly uneducated. On the other hand the sheer amount of ghostwriters on the first Pirates of the Caribbean was a case of having to do the whole thing in 3-4 weeks, including recording the thing in three separate recording studios. Time is of the essence here. Later Gore Verbinski scores went the same way because it seemed to work for that collaboration.

2. Rock/techno. The guy has little idea whatsoever probably what electronic music is at all. There are highly electronic elements in Zimmer's work, but they have nothing to do with dance music. Thor would expand better on that as I stay as much away from EDM as I can.

3. Hans' mockups are immaculate. Collaborators and arrangers don't really work out Hans' cues as much as he relegates parts of the film itself, based on his thematic material and outlines. But the cues he handles on his own. The arrangement is meticulous and already fully mixed. The orchestra actually listens to the demo as it is recorded. In fact, his collaborators' and his cues are written independently. He can work out a piece in his studio and, say, Lorne Balfe is scoring another scene (with the themes, as I've said above) literally next door. Orchestrators make sure it's playable, but orchestrate the demoes by ear and, as far as I understand, unless specifically inolved in the process (Bruce Fowler giving a hand with the avant-garde orchestrations on Black Hawk Down due to his work with Frank Zappa), just orchestrate the cues "as-is". Without any input in the arrangements. Let's say that Nicholas Dodd would be fired after seconds there.

4. Calling RCP a factory does not deserve a rebuttal. It's just plain wrong academically and even as journalism on so many levels.

5. "His idiom can be recognized by simple motifs characterized by hompohony, basic chord progressions, no contrapuntal writing or use of inner voices, synthesizer pads as harmonic backing for the acoustical instruments, a pounding rhythmic section, and overwhelmingly low frequencies. " Oh God, let me go into this, that's gonna be fun.

Luckily we can get into the homophony thing quickly as this is stylistically awkward. If you said that it's homophonic, you don't have to discuss contrapuntal writing. Same difference. It happens, but not everywhere. In fact some people noticed that Hans' earlier music is much more technically complex than whatever he did after actually starting to feature orchestras... but not sure of that either. He can be pretty classical in style. You wouldn't tell me that Da Vinci Code, House of the Spirits, The Thin Red Line, Gladiator, Prince of Egypt are similar. To my huge surprise I found out quite recently that Prince of Egypt's Chariot Race was written by Hans alone. I think that tears this argument apart. And if it's about recent scores, then parts of Sherlock Holmes 2 (the original suite), 160 BPM from Angels and Demons (featuring almost Baroque bits!), aforementioned Spanglish, just make that moot.

Basic chord progression. Well, listen to something like I'm Going Home from Interstellar. That's not exactly basic. The minor/major chord sweeping theme in that score, again, it's not exactly I-V-vi-IV progression, that one belongs to Brian Tyler.

Interstellar has also something to say about the pounding rhythmic section. Though he admitted he's ceasing to look for "the ultimate drum hit" (Nolan in The Dark Knight liner notes) anymore.

6. Effects are effective, but similar... - loaded unfounded, unacademic statement. Even a good journalist would work hard to nuance that.

7. Being direct and no virtuoso pretensions. Anyone who heard The Thin Red Line in the film knows how indirect and how ambiguous the score is emotionally. There is a whole slew of Zimmer scores where he does aim for being much more emotionally complex than what Jerry Bruckheimer is looking for. This indirect approach is what serves The Thin Red Line, Frost/Nixon among others very well. Then there's a score like The Pledge, where Zimmer, contrary to Klaus Badelt's statements and general opinion wrote actually quite a bit, as the score was a small-ensemble improvisation. Is Black Hawk Down direct? What would you say about a piece like Still, Vale of Plenty (OK, that one is tricky as it's film arrangements on a solo trumpet are more emotionally distinct), Synchrotone or, actually the overlooked Ashes to Ashes? Is that "simplistic"? In the case of the latter track, quite bare, yes, but is it simplistic emotionally?

No virtuoso pretensions: tell that to Heitor Pereira, Tina Guo, Martin Tillman and the Black Hawk Down band. They might be interested in that statement. Or the piano/organ action cue from Interstellar's Coward which the organ player (in a church) called "a bit ff" during the session and when Hans mentioned that there are no dynamic markings (so, there's no fortissimo marking), the answer was a resounding "fucking fast". Players find his music actually challenging and exciting to do.

8. Uncomplicated textures. Someone never tried to create a synth pad, I see. That's one, second, Hans has a HUGE understanding of articulations and looking for certain textures to be achieved with the orchestra. Did you know for example that the wind/sea waves effect that begins Interstellar is actually acoustic as it was a live choir? Or that the ticking clock in that particular score is a combination of col legno played by pencils and, I think woodwind players just clicking their keys?
  7. Great post Pawel! beer
  8. My experience here does actually help smile .
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    @Pawel: Thanks for the detailed post with a wealth of information. I'll respond to what I can...

1. You seem to admit that the author is completely right on this point...Hans does use a lot of orchestrators, but you go on to say that's not a bad thing, and point out other composers who use orchestrators. I don't think anyone said it was a bad thing; I just thought it was accurate. So, point 1 for Audissino, I suppose.

2. By rock/techno, I don't think that holds true in every single case, but there's still a lot of rock influence on Zimmer's writing. His early Power Anthems are an obvious case, and its easy to point out Days of Thunder or Driving Miss Daisy, or the more modern Rush (which was essentially an instrumental rock album). But I see rock influence in Pirates (John Debney compared Pirates to Led Zeppelin, and I agree). I see rock influence in the building of Time with its slow chord progressions and regular rhythms. I see rock influence in the heavy-metal action music of Black Hawk Down, or in the rhythm based sections of his Dark Knight scores where he works a single chord progression for a while. In terms of dance-based music, well, dance music tends to build over many minutes with repetitive chord structures, slowly adding layers, and look at the 16 minute, "Dark Knight" cue and you find that. Is it descriptive of every one of his scores? Of course not. But is it a viable thread to follow? I'd say yes. And once again, it's not inherently negative at all, I'd say his rock-influenced tracks are the ones that get the most play from me at least.

3. Your points here are valid, but kind of discredit point number 4, where you say its dumb to call RCP a factory. Well, depending on how you think of it, the collaboration process you describe in point 3 might easily be called a factory. Is that a loaded term? Certainly, but when you look through the pages of collaborators in a Hans Zimmer booklet and compare that to, say, Desplat, you do see a difference. I don't think this a bad thing in the slightest, and if this is what Zimmer needs to tackle massive blockbuster projects (while still maintaining artistic integrity, which I think in most cases he does), then I'm all for it. But to say it's unfair to use the term 'factory' or 'industrialized' to describe RCP seems a bit unfair. We can argue all we want about the correct language, but amongst the digital instrument designers, orchestrators, "additional music" writers, interns, etc., there's clearly a lot of people with input, and it's a lot different from Williams sitting with a grand piano and a score book. Audissino uses the word factory, and calls Zimmer more of a producer than a composer. Well, we can debate that, but someone might easily see the way Zimmer gives specific scoring duties to his 'additional music' composers, while he composes the main cues, and call that 'producing'. It's certainly different from what John Williams would do. So we can nitpick his specific language all we like, but what you describe could certainly be described by any reasonable person as a 'scoring factory'.

4. ^^^^ addressed above

5. I think that the reason Audissino's points are still valid here lies in the fact that, in most of the scores that you've mentioned, despite the existence of several cues certainly striving for something greater, there are more cues that stick with what he describes. For example: Gladiator. There's the Gladiator Waltz that definitely incorporates interesting progressions and complex melodies, but inside that very cue is a rhythmic, (almost simplistic), forerunner of the Pirates of the Caribbean theme, there's the slow, homophonic, "Strength and Honor", the pop-music-esque "Now We are Free", etc. None of these are bad cues, but they certainly stick with what Audisinno describes. Or Interstellar, where we have several incredible pieces offset by minute upon minute of sound design and simple piano. And to be clear, Interstellar was my favorite score of 2014; none of these things are bad. For every cue that doesn't fit Audisinno's descriptions, there's plenty that do, look through most of Hans' superhero scores, King Arthur, The Rock, The Peacemaker, Pirates, the Last Samurai, Hans' portions of Kung Fu Panda, these are all scores with plenty of broad strokes and powerful chord-progressions, massive, homophonic, unison orchestral anthems.

6. Not every Hans Zimmer score sounds similar, obviously, but there are lots of scores that share the same aural playground. I'd say that aside from certain ethnic textures, Pearl Harbor, Drop Zone, Gladiator, The Last Samurai, Pirates, The Rock, King Arthur (There's three minutes of King Arthur that's actually identical to three minutes of Pirates: Dead Man's Chest), all these scores share the same style/sound. Then his Dark Knight Scores/Inception/Man of Steel/Batman vs Superman all share many of the same elements. Are there outliers? Of course, plenty. But many of his blockbuster scores share the same pallete.

7. I'd say that in most of the pieces you mention, except portions of Thin Red Line, Hans is still aiming for a rather visceral impact on the listener. That doesn't mean he never writes music with conflicting emotions, it just means that, when he is aiming for a certain emotion, he rarely restrains the music. (This is actually one his greatest strengths in my opinion.) When its supposed to be dissonant (Batman Begins), its as dissonant as possible. When its supposed to be powerful, he's going to unleash the Kraken (Pirates, The Last Samurai, Gladiator, Crimson Tide, The Rock, etc.) When its supposed to be melodramatic (Pearl Harbor, "The Way of the Sword", King Arthur), he lathers on as much drama as possible.

In terms of Virtuoso writing, I agree with you. He's certainly incorporated several great soloists, especially in Interstellar.

8. I think Interstellar specifically contains plenty of incredible textures (Like I said, I adore that score), but you could easily pick apart that score for being really uncomplicated, especially in cues where he has a simple theme noodling for minutes on end over a very thin ambience. There's several cues (A Place Among the Stars, Message from Home...) where the textures are incredibly basic and simple.

Now you've made me want to go listen to Interstellar again. biggrin

Overall, you made some great points. I don't think Audissino's analysis holds true in every case, but there are lengthy sections in almost every score he's written that do hold true to it, which is why I thought to post it here. I don't think his analysis is "hogwash" but, as your post illustrates, nor is it as accurate as I had supposed. smile
  9. 1. The nuance here is that the claim is that there are ghostwriters in some cases and in some there aren't. Thing is that there were examples given some time ago that there were some cues on John Williams scores too, where a melody was "suggested" or even a part of a cue was ghostwritten (Fred Steiner did that I guess for everyone). Goldsmith's Star Trek score, too, features Alexander Courage and Fred Steiner contributing cues to the score. Did that impact any of their input in film music and/or the quality of the score?

2. I wouldn't give Driving Miss Daisy as an example here. If anything, Gershwin would be more of an influence here than any rock band. I am not denying that there ARE any rock influences or that his rock music background didn't impact his music in any way. I mostly deny the techno influences (no, except a pulsating synth line in action music, I wouldn't connect Hans with any dance music at all, maybe except parts of Chappie). Debney's point on Led Zeppelin is definitely proven by the Kraken theme from Pirates 2, which is essentially beefed up Kashmir with bits actually making it closer to heavy metal than classical music. But there is also a lot of classical influence - the aforementioned Driving Miss Daisy, a very heavy Mozart influence on his earlier scores with Lacrimosa still cropping up here and there (cf. one of cues from Batman v Superman and I don't remember which one at this point as I haven't listened to it since it was released). That statement does NOT explain Frost/Nixon, Nine Months, As Good As It Gets, Spanglish (a tad less classical than Nine Months and As Good As It Gets, but it's rather the ethnic Latino influences than rock music) or The House of the Spirits. Or, for that matter, Hannibal and The Thin Red Line.

3/4. The language HAS to be argued here, because it discredits the author by using loaded statements in something that purports for any kind of objective. We CAN call it a factory and with certain scores I would say so myself. But it's not "proper" rhetorically to do that in an analysis. Also, bear in mind that Williams also uses orchestrators. Whatever little input they have is one thing, but he STILL works with a crew to get things to where they are eventually. It may be much smaller than an RCP or Zimmer's score for that matter. But it doesn't mean that there is no team work involved.

5. So what that there is the anthem and, IMHO overlooked, homophonic Strength and Honor? A very complex cue like Remembering Childhood from Hook reduces itself at one point to a beautiful and yes, simple, piano solo at one point. Nitpicking cues is not as good an approach here as scores are always about the big picture. Does the waltz precursor of He's a Pirate work in the waltz itself? It does and actually the Waltz is one of Hans' best structured pieces at the end of the day. That's what matters. Not whether you start with a fugue and end up with a piano solo in the middle, which is the contrast John Williams uses so well and so consciously.

6. If you took Gladiator, The Last Samurai and Pearl Harbor out, I'd agree. But in case of these three scores most of the score actually lies in another "realm" of Hans' scores (namely especially in the latter two, as Gladiator is a bit of a summary, especially if you realize that a lot of the Waltz is Peacemaker radicalized and I'll freely admit that, that incidentally puts that cue in the same category as scores you mentioned, but more classically influenced), which started with The Thin Red Line. It is true that King Arthur started the kind of theme everyone suddenly noticed when Chevaliers de Sangreal ended up so well. And so popular. I do agree that there are certain styles that he more or less adheres to, but at some point he tries to either try something new or at least combine some of them into new quality. For example, I don't know where I would put Prince of Egypt which is his most traditionally epic score and yet still features moment that sound like The Peacemaker from the previous year. But the God's theme shares a part with a short motif from Nine Months.

7. Careful with Batman Begins as the example here as, if you mean Artibeus, I don't know if that cue isn't James Newton Howard. He can pretty much restrain his music a lot and I think a great overlooked example is Tears of the Sun's Carnage where the characters finding evidence of atrocities they just stopped ends up with a very slow and somber dirge based on restrained string chords, a sobbing Lebo M. vocal and some piano with woodwinds. There's Black Hawk Down's Still and Of the Earth (I wish the latter was in the film somewhere. Or is it?). Hans can be in total control of the intensity and performance. Interstellar with its simple piano cue and a few other moments is a great example. He used to be a master of self-control and one of the best examples (outside of The Thin Red Line) is the Burning Bush cue and sequence in Prince of Egypt. Just analyze how the cue builds its sense of awe and then gets into full power mode... but after what? It started to be problematic and overly melodramatic in The Last Samurai and Da Vinci Code.

8. I find Interstellar to be a very complex combination of very simple ideas smile .
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2017
    1. No, it didn't affect the quality of those scores, which is why, like I said, I don't think its a criticism to point out Hans's orchestrators/arrangers/ghostwriters. Sure, does it seem like it might be letting too much industry creep into art? Maybe. But I'm not the type to pound my fist about such things. tongue

2. I don't think there's much to add here.

3. Williams uses orchestrators, but (and I know this isn't extremely scholarly), compare the liner notes of any Zimmer score to the liner notes of a Williams score. Zimmer has dozens of people working on every score. Like I explained, that's not bad, its just a fact. Certainly INTERSTELLAR has a lot more of just Hans in it, but INTERSTELLAR is the exception to just about anything we can say about HZ. So is it wrong to call RCP a scoring-factory? (Especially when you keep in mind the dozens of underlings composing scores with their own teams of ghostwriters). I don't think so.

5. I don't think the Pirates precursor works at all in the waltz... but now we're just on to opinions. Overall, Zimmer has some scores that show great sophistication, yet I think they all contain cues that could very fairly fit Audissino's description.

6. So perhaps, instead of "quite similar to one another", you would say there's different "zones" of sound? Or do you think every score inhabits its own sonic world?

7. I guess I don't view any of the pieces you've mentioned as not 'direct'. I feel that Zimmer only rarely plays with conflicting emotions...I can really only recall Interstellar's message from space playing very sparse chords over empty space (which was fantastic). But I don't think ethnic wailing women over heat-distorted horizons exactly counts as 'restrained', he's still playing the picture... I'm sure you'll have examples to prove this wrong biggrin

8. Agreed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
  10. "Factory" can be a tongue in cheek term, for example if the owner of a restaurant calls his place "Foot Factory". I think in regard to Hans Zimmer's studio the term implies a negative connotation, meaning that music is produced there on a conveyor belt, standardized by computers.
    I would prefer the term "manufactory" implying that the creative process is still driven by human beings.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think it has more in common with a creative "think tank" than any factory.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    Demetris wrote

And we all love to hate him to here and there, now and then wink
  11. Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Demetris wrote

There is a Zimmer for every purpose. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Demetris wrote

There is a Zimmer for every purpose. cheesy

Even for Thor biggrin
  12. Precisely that, Thor. I don't know how it looks like right now, but I think it was Badelt or even Hans explaining it in late MV/early RCP days that they all watch a film and just contribute ideas. So for example when we have a cue like Up Is Down from the third Pirates of the Caribbean, they just saw the scene and Henry Jackman just threw the idea "hey, how about making it a stereotypical swashbuckling jig" which Hans approved and asked Jackman to do just that (even if the cue feels to me like both of them working on it on a layer-by-layer basis".

Volker perfectly explained that.

1. Audissino frames the information as a veiled complaint. "Williams doesn't do that, therefore he's better" is the presupposition here. Well, it's more complex than that, so any argument mentioning a different case (like what I said about Fred Steiner and I'll add Angela Morley) simply invalidates his point on a logical and academic level. It's as simple as that. I just proved that statement to be factually wrong, so the rhetoric doesn't hold.

5. Then it can't be an argument separating Zimmer and Williams, because Williams, when the film demands it of him, is also capable of being evocatively simple. Hans Zimmer happens to be one of the most sophisticated composers when it comes to the emotional complexity prevalent especially in scores from a certain point of his career. I mean, it's easy to say that it's the way it is, but on the other hand, you have the highly ironic, post-modern even, Hannibal, you have the Wagnerian Might of Rome which is one of the most "visceral" cues at face value, but really is a not-so-thinly veiled joke at the expense of Commodus. Something as "viscerally simple" as Broken Arrow features a theme that outwardly makes John Travolta ridiculous. So it's a villain theme and yet it's a complete joke. It's a bit more sophisticated than that.

The Audissino argument here is derogatory, because it's reminiscing of Christian Clemmensen, who says that Hans Zimmer writes simple, intellectually banal scores, because he doesn't employ the Wagnerian model. And when Hans does that (Spider-Man 2, Pirates 3) somehow he fails to notice anyway. Clemmensen tends to do that, even James Horner wasn't spared the wrath of writing a constant cue (as in, not responding to location changes because of the sequence's parallel editing) for Patriot Games' The Hit. The music doesn't react to the picture? Therefore James Horner is an idiot. Same wrath "hit" Hans at his Nolan collaboration.

6. Zones for sure with quite strong variations in course of one zone. You could argue that there are samish scores, like the anthem-structured mid-90s (but then, the romantic comedies and slightly more sophisticated Muppet Treasure Island, more swashbuckling than even Pirates 3, but overlooked), but you have 2001 where Hannibal, Pearl Harbor and Black Hawk Down MAY feature certain similar bits, but sound sometimes quite opposite to each other.

7. Burning Bush ends up unrestrained, but starts in fact quite unsure to develop the character's insecurity, so it is complete control of emotional intensity. It's more about how he gets there. What you said can be understood as him not understanding dramatic arcs and so on. That he can't build to a certain intensity while starting very low. In fact, Hans was pretty renowned before somewhere like 2003-2004 to start very low-key and then slowly build up to something far more dramatic. Even if working with really big themes he could be quite understated. If we are talking about recent times this got way less nuanced, that's true. But the pathos of something like Beyond Rangoon comes from a very personal low-key place.
  13. I can't take Clemmensen's Zimmer related reviews serious any more. I respect the man's competence otherwise but here he is riding his hobby horse. (? Er gibt dem Affen Zucker.) It's clearly part of his marketing strategy.

Volker