• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Aidabaida wrote
    I think At World's End is Zimmer and Co's best score, and it's one of my top 10 of all time

I fully agree with this statement. But it was one of my first scores and therefore I'm never sure I can be 100% objective about it. Still, I'll defend it as a masterpiece any day of the week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2018 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    I think At World's End is Zimmer and Co's best score, and it's one of my top 10 of all time

I fully agree with this statement. But it was one of my first scores and therefore I'm never sure I can be 100% objective about it. Still, I'll defend it as a masterpiece any day of the week.

not only is the score a masterpiece, *every cue* except for "Calypso" is a masterpiece in its own right, imo, masterpiece as in "perfect presentation of the very best that RC has to offer." To be fair, to some that might not be much, but when they are on, they are good.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  2. I hope you've heard the complete score? Or the suites, at the very least...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I hope you've heard the complete score? Or the suites, at the very least...

I listened to some of the suites and other cues on YouTube but IMO the studio album is just the right length for me, not so long or uniform that it grows dull.
  3. The album is a pretty decent representation but this score is too massive and multifaceted for any one CD to fully do it justice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

You only got into soundtracks in 2013? For some reason, I thought you'd been a fan longer?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

You only got into soundtracks in 2013? For some reason, I thought you'd been a fan longer?

wasn't At World's End in 2007?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2018 edited
    Ah, could be. I stopped following the POTC films a long time ago. But I'm still getting used to the idea of people entering the world of film music after the new millennium. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Lars wrote
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

wasn't At World's End in 2007?

Yup, around 2006-2007 was when I first began following film music. At World's End must not have been strictly my first score because I definitely remember actively anticipating the music alongside the movie, so I must have already been a fan to a degree of the first two scores in the series, but the third is so much better that it flipped a switch from "guy who vaguely recognizes Hans Zimmer's name in the end credits" to "guy who spends an unhealthy amount of time on film music forums".

It feels like longer to me too; for the life of me I couldn't tell you what I listened to before then - probably nothing in particular. In fairness I was only 15...
  5. I have the 'Marry Me' suite from 'At World's End' which is a brilliant exploration and expansion of the Love theme (a lot of which ended up in the 'Hans Zimmer' live suite). I think the love theme is absolutely brilliant, right up there with the best love themes, it's gorgeous, intoxicating and I never seem to tire of it. What other suites are there from the score and what material do they explore?
  6. Lord Cutler Beckett - an exploration of the material related to Cutler Beckett and the East India Trading Company (with a few love theme elements sneaking in from time to time)
    Just Good Business - a more action-oriented take on the EITC/Cutler Beckett material
    The Pirate Lord of Singapore - a fuller exploration of the Asian-influenced material for the Singapore scenes early in the film, including some great action material and a gorgeous, completely unused (!!) Kung Fu Panda-style erhu theme at 4:40
    Hoist the Colors Suite - what it says on the tin; this was used over the end credits following the end of "Drink Up Me Hearties". There's a fantastic moment towards the end where Hoist the Colors and the most heroic portion of "He's a Pirate" are played against each other in counterpoint.
    The Heart of Davy Jones - nice tragic version of Davy Jones' theme, probably the least interesting or revelatory of the suites but still nice to have.

Honestly, those six suites (the five I mentioned and "Marry Me", which is the best of the lot and my single favorite Zimmer composition) make for a spectacular 40-minute concept album of sorts on their own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    You have sufficiently enticed me to give the suites another try...
  7. Is there an album available with all of the suites or are they only available on YouTube?
  8. It was in a box set consisting of the first trilogy and additional CDs with remixes and these suites. I don't think the so-called Treasure Chest Collection (Edmund, correct me if I'm wrong in the title) is still in production.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It was in a box set consisting of the first trilogy and additional CDs with remixes and these suites. I don't think the so-called Treasure Chest Collection (Edmund, correct me if I'm wrong in the title) is still in production.

it's on Amazon for 80 bucks! ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2018
    Hey guys, I recorded all of the french horn/trumpet parts (and more !) from the "Save El Dorado" cue composed by both Hans and John Powell !
    The cue is just a perfect mix of both of their styles smile

=> https://youtu.be/SN7COoS_DhU
  9. I already commented on this over on YouTube (I'm LordMangudai) but your covers and playing are good enough to merit praising twice. Keep it up! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2018
    Oh cool ! Well, thanks again then ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2018
    I went to THE WORLD OF HANS ZIMMER in Hamburg.

For who is interested, here is my report:

https://soundtrackworld.com/2018/05/the … r-hamburg/
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2018 edited
    here is the official FIFA World Cup 2018 Theme composed by Hans Zimmer & Lorne Balfe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhNqhCfz8Y
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2018
    Quite nice but not quite got the oomph you might expect. A bit more evocative of a goalless draw between Tunisia and Panama than a great expression of Brazilian flair or something.
  10. It actually reminds me of Chariots of Fire. Apropos ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2018
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2018
    Agreed. Rather underwhelming. This project screamed for a 90s type Hans Zimmer power anthem, but I doubt he's able to do that anymore (or wants to).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2018
    I think he could've written that in his sleep
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2018
    i think it is a fantastic theme. yes, its very simple, but for me it expresses that the world comes together and celebrates and has fun. the tune has a very positive vibe. that is football. i love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2018
    For no particular reason, a review of Hans Zimmer - The Classics, a compilation from last year:

http://www.movie-wave.net/hans-zimmer-the-classics/
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2019
    https://lalalandrecords.com/thin-red-line-the/

Not quite what I expected, through this expanded score on 2 discs is very welcome.
  11. A 2 CD set with the expanded score I would probably buy. As it is this set is not for me, as great as the score is.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  12. Yeah it's a bit frustrating to force people to buy a set with 2 discs that are not necessarily interesting to most score fans (assuming they already own the original album).