• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013
    Scribe wrote
    I think the way Zimmer captured the "Americana" naive hopeful heroic feeling without resorting to any of the expected Copland/Williams/etc tricks is absolutely brilliant and the mark of a true musical genius.

Hmm, he's a very decent artist when he's given the proper direction, but a true musical genius? That's rather akin to saying God is love - stretching the word until it has no meaning left.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    I think the way Zimmer captured the "Americana" naive hopeful heroic feeling without resorting to any of the expected Copland/Williams/etc tricks is absolutely brilliant and the mark of a true musical genius.

Tricks? rolleyes

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

Tricks? rolleyes

-Erik-

I did not mean it in a derogatory way.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Hmm, he's a very decent artist when he's given the proper direction, but a true musical genius? That's rather akin to saying God is love - stretching the word until it has no meaning left.

No, I really think he's the greatest musician of his generation from a creativity standpoint. Others like Horner, Howard, etc are excellent at coming up with new arrangements of old trustworthy musical ideas and devices, but only Zimmer continues to successfully push the envelope and create new, fresh, musical ideas (i.e. tricks) that are both cerebrally fascinating and emotionally satisfying.
  1. I'm sorry, everyone here knows that I am possibly the biggest Hans Zimmer fanboy on this forum since Jordi left, but I would seriously beg to differ. The last somehow innovative score he wrote was Inception. Here he is trying to find something new, but I'm afraid he hasn't achieved it with this score. While the narrative idea for the score is one of his best in recent years (it would be his best hadn't Inception existed), I am not very happy with how he handled the general idea of it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I hear a number of new musical ideas in this score as well as loads of progressions on old ideas, but I guess because I only have 1500 or so albums I must be an idiotic musical virgin who has no idea what he's listening to or talking about...

Maybe it should have had more kazoos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, you just confuse your opinion with facts, and create odd straw men arguments if people happen to not agree.
    Not very cool. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Actually, you have to reach 2000 albums before you can properly analyse music. (2 CD sets still count as 1 unfortunately.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    Maybe it should have had more kazoos.

Apparently Marvel Studios is carefully weighing their musical response...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Jordi left?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A long, LONG time ago!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    No, you just confuse your opinion with facts, and create odd straw men arguments if people happen to not agree.
    Not very cool. slant

Fine, since I don't feel like adding "in my opinion" after every single freaking sentence I write, I'll just shut the fuck up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Argh, Matt, why are you so combative?

The POINT was that some people happen to not AGREE with your opinion (that Zimmer is the greatest musical genius etc.,etc.), which is quite fair and well warranted as long as it's done with at least a modicum of decorum and style...which it WAS!

Why you feel the need to fly screaming off the rails with really weird statements that would suggest anyone here looks on you as a "musical virgin" who needs to "shut the fuck up"is QUITE beyond me.
    NO ONE is belittling you.
    In fact, looking at the thread above, no one is even ARGUING with you.

Why would you fly off the handle like that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Not very cool. slant

Fine, since I don't feel like adding "in my opinion" after every single freaking sentence I write, I'll just shut the fuck up.

Ugh! rolleyes

You don't see me flipping my lid when Steven disagrees with my personal selection of last great JNH score, do you? Sure, sometimes a conversation might get heated (Ralph, lp and a few others have witness my wrath :whip: )but no one is flinging personal insults or putting your opinions down. You have an opinion, which we ALL respect, while at the same time we all hope to your respect our opinions as well.

How is it that we are still having this conversation after all these years?!

confused slant shame

-Erik-

skyfall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    How is it that we are still having this conversation after all these years?!

Because a good point bears repeating. beer

skyfall

James Hhhhhhhh...
  2. Martijn wrote
    Good review, Thomas.

thanks Martijn, never have I seen 16 votes in just 3 hours. This score seems to be popular
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Scribe wrote
    "Bleak colorless action music"? What are you people listening to? confused

Tracks like "If You Love These People" are the very reason I got into film music in the first place, and I would think you Thomas of all people would understand that...but you seem to have drunk the kool-aid too... sad

well, I was very open minded. Mind you, I didn't listen to the clips at all, and I went to see the movie first, before listening to the music. I'm a big Zimmer fan, and he hasn't disappointed me much these past few years, but this is just no good.

still, what do I know? It has already a rating of nearly 4 stars after 3 hours. wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The score hasn't quite grabbed me yet, but after a few more listen-throughs, it's starting to grow on me. In either case, I'm far, far away from the slaughter I've seen here and elsewhere (but here, in particular).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No! Pick up your pitchfork and join us!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Sure, sometimes a conversation might get heated (Ralph, lp and a few others have witness by wrath :whip: )

skyfall

HAH!

Speaking of action music. Skyfall has some terrible action music. It's like David Arnold's action cues, without any excitement.

The action cues in Man of Steel wasn't the best example of Zimmer's skill, but it is definitely the most thematic kind that he's ever done. The idea of actually surrounding the listener with drums by literally recording those percussions in a circle... love it.

There are some excellent textures in the score, it didn't sound derivative and it suited the movie. And you also get actual themes, motifs and melodies and live instrumental solos even. OKAY! GOOD! That's actually more than I expected.

I think that the rating should have been 3.5/4 stars, but hey, it's not my review.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Speaking of action music. Skyfall has some terrible action music. It's like David Arnold's action cues, without any excitement.

False!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Skyfall! Finally we're back on topic.
  4. Steven wrote
    Skyfall! Finally we're back on topic.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pnZ6Q1wbJvs/U … large.jpeg
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

False!

-Erik-

You're false.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

False!

-Erik-

You're false.

That's not true.

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

False!

-Erik-

You're false.

That's not true.

-Erik-

How very enlightening. rolleyes
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

False!

-Erik-

You're false.

That's not true.

-Erik-

How very enlightening. rolleyes

^ This is going to piss Steven off soooo much! biggrin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Qué? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Awwww... you aren't playing the multiple quote game correctly?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh, I see. shame

Apparently my reputation around here is known to everyone but me... dizzy