• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have a great liking for the music for The Rock - except for the car chase sequence. The music is exciting, usually well put together and, sometimes, quite emotionally charged.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have a great liking for the music for The Rock - except for the car chase sequence. The music is exciting, usually well put together and, sometimes, quite emotionally charged.

yeah

Double yeah
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tim, have you heard The Prince of Egypt? One of my controversial opinions about Hans is that I find that score better than Gladiator! If not, try it out, at least find Burning Bush on youtube. Oh, and Red Sea.

A lot of detractors also like The Last Samurai a lot, though I don't like about a third of it in the movie and it might be (rightfully) regarded as The Thin Red Line-lite (basically the same type of structure and development, but without the metaphysical sound, it sounds more "realistic" and it's very neoclassical).

And have you tried Frost/Nixon? Except Inception it's my favourite score from the man since Da Vinci Code.

I've not heard it so I'll give Frost/Nixon a try. Last Samurai is okay-ish.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I'm always surprised how many ordinarily not-so-Zimmer-fans (Timmer, James etc.) consider Inception among his best work in recent years...I am a Zimmer fan for the most part and I find it rather dull with the exception of a couple fantastic pieces like "Time". Give me The Rock any day of the week (even though it's Nick Glennie-Smith and Harry Gregson-Williams for the most part). punk
  3. Hans has written the main title theme and another one, a minor trumpet melody, two or three major action cues and rearranged bits here and there.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Oh, and there isn't as much Harry Gregson-Williams as you think there is, though the cues he worked on are major.
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Oh, and there isn't as much Harry Gregson-Williams as you think there is, though the cues he worked on are major.

"The Chase," right?
  6. Yes, also the morgue shootout (my favourite unreleased action cue in the whole score), if I remember most of Rocket Away is his...

It's funny how Gregson-Williams gets a main credit on the CD (not in film, in film he's the only additional composer credited and it had about 3 more), but the car chase is credited to someone else in its entirety, while HGW scored half of the cue!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tim, have you heard The Prince of Egypt? One of my controversial opinions about Hans is that I find that score better than Gladiator!

That's crazy! You free spirited rebel! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tim, have you heard The Prince of Egypt? One of my controversial opinions about Hans is that I find that score better than Gladiator!

In every way, shape and form!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Yeah, and isn't that score so overlooked today? Like people totally forgot about it!

I'd really have a tough choice on the Oscars if I had to vote between Goldsmith's Mulan and this one!

OK, at that point I wouldn't. Back then I haven't seen Mulan yet biggrin (though I heard the original album at some point... a year later?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'd really have a tough choice on the Oscars if I had to vote between Goldsmith's Mulan and this one!

I would have been happy with either.

-Erik-
  8. Ah, the Oscars in 1999... Hans got robbed twice. :mrgreen:
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

In every way, shape and form!

yeah

Not so controversial after all, Pawel. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ah, the Oscars in 1999... Hans got robbed twice. :mrgreen:

Every composer that didn't win got robbed.

A reminder for those that have forgotten.

Best Original Dramatic Score

WINNER Life Is Beautiful – Nicola Piovani shocked

Elizabeth – David Hirschfelder
    Pleasantville – Randy Newman
    Saving Private Ryan – John Williams
    The Thin Red Line – Hans Zimmer

Best Original Musical or Comedy Score

WINNER Shakespeare in Love – Stephen Warbeck shocked

A Bug's Life – Randy Newman
    Mulan – Matthew Wilder, David Zippel and Jerry Goldsmith
    Patch Adams – Marc Shaiman
    The Prince of Egypt – Stephen Schwartz and Hans Zimmer

rolleyes

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nothing on that list beats Hymn to The Fallen. (Apart from Hymn to The Fallen.)
    • CommentAuthorLars
    The Rock brought me into filmmusic. the music worked perfectly in the picture and i was so happy when i had the cd in my hands. it felt like buying something very special. after The Rock i started paying more attention to the music in films. so my second score was Air Force One by jerry goldsmith. i think the third one was Con Air. i saw the cd and i remembered that i liked the music in the movie.

in the first years i didn't care about composers. i just bought the scores i liked in the movie. then i realized, that a lot of them were composed by hans zimmer. he was my 2. favourite composer until Pirates 3. with Batman his music style started to change and with every new score i got less excited about a new release. i haven't bought Inception and most of the scores since then. this music style is just not my cup of tea.

i really hope that i will like The Lone Ranger. its a bruckheimer movie, so the chances are not bad, because bruckheimer movies have at least good themes and exciting old school action music. i'm also looking forward to Winter's Tale, just because i think hans could come up with an orchestral score like in his "old" days with a magical touch like in Prince Of Egypt.

hans can still compose good themes. the piano theme in Man Of Steel shows that. but he has do to more with these kind of themes. and he also has to start again compose music instead of design it. at least this is my wish.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013 edited
    cry
    i really hope that i will like The Lone Ranger. its a bruckheimer movie, so the chances are not bad, because bruckheimer movies have at least good themes and exciting old school action music
    cry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    I am so glad to see the conversation on Hanz has simmered down (is that almost a pun). I read both here and FSM and this place is a genuine haven of serious (and gentle rib tickling) discussion that I was fearful when tempers seemed to flair with some folk (not the regulars that I see, though).

Anyway, I know I don't post a great deal but I enjoy the different personalities on this board. FSM can be a dreadful place filled with smarmy, snarky, child-like petulance that I wonder why I ever still go there (and don't get me started on that awful Yor fella).

Anyway, I wrote a review of Man of Steel (which I liked more than many around here) over at Home Theater Forum. I won't post a link as I don't what you to think that's the only reason I chimed in today.

Thanks for keeping this place civil, fun and freindly and for remaining the antidote to the ever-nasty FSM.

Neil
    Insert witty line here
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Timmer wrote
    cry
    i really hope that i will like The Lone Ranger. its a bruckheimer movie, so the chances are not bad, because bruckheimer movies have at least good themes and exciting old school action music
    cry

ok, i mean exciting old school media ventures action music wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Lars wrote
    Timmer wrote
    cry
    cry

*phew!* cheesy wink
  10. Lars wrote
    Timmer wrote
    cry
    cry

And there's nothing wrong with that! Old school MV = punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Lars wrote
    Timmer wrote
    cry
    cry

And there's nothing wrong with that! Old school MV = punk punk punk

Indeed!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Weirdos! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013
    Pawel, I do really love the Prince of Egypt. Zimmer did such excellent work there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Now I really wish the April Fool's joke were true, about the main theme of MoS being a Beyond Rangoon-type melody played by 16 cellos...that would be way more awesome than what Zimmer actually did...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, also the morgue shootout (my favourite unreleased action cue in the whole score), if I remember most of Rocket Away is his...

It's funny how Gregson-Williams gets a main credit on the CD (not in film, in film he's the only additional composer credited and it had about 3 more), but the car chase is credited to someone else in its entirety, while HGW scored half of the cue!

I believe that it was Don Harper who worked on the Chase cue.
  11. I started out as a massive fan of classical scoring and had lots of scores by the Great Ones of that time, Williams, Goldsmith, Horner, Poledouris... you name them, I loved them all, and also cherished some of the Classics like Rosza and Korngold. So I was already deep into scores when I saw Backdraft on one of the biggest screens of my home town. I had heard or read about Zimmer before, but that one was my first serious encounter. The score absolutely blew me away. While still having enough of the classic elements, there was that new and fresh approach to the way a score could sound, and I went nuts for that score. It still is my favourite Zimmer sound, and while I love to listen to stuff like Broken Arrow, Drop Zone, or the modern counterparts Inception or Man of Steel, it´s the sound of Backdraft that made me fall in love with this composer. So it´s stuff like PotC (Part 3 most of all), The Prince of Egypt, Gladiator, or the Batman Trilogy which makes me happy.
  12. My review of MAN OF STEEL for anyone who is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2013/06/17/man-o … #more-3505

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Excellent review, Jon!