• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2016
    Thor wrote
    back in the early and mid 90s, he was the no. 1 go-to guy in Hollywood for that, and was IMO the very best at it.

Unfortunately that is now 25 years ago, and the development of his choice of style is not such that I would be thrilled should he score a visually sumptuous documentary like Planet Earth.
    In fact, I'd be mortified.

(On the other hand there's of course Interstellar).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, it probably wouldn't have sounded like THE LION KING or BEYOND RANGOON or POWER OF ONE or K2 or THE PRINCE OF EGYPT etc., but he's been so good at exploring new territory and re-inventing himself in the last decade and a half, that it would be very interesting to hear him approach similar territory at this point in his career.

As I don't really count his KUNG FU PANDA/MADAGASCAR scores, I think the last time he truly delved into such landscapes for a serious, live-action movie was THE LAST SAMURAI in 2003.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Fenton's music for these things is always appropriate but somehow cold and clinical at the same time. Zimmer will provide a much appreciated infusion of passion and energy, at least to my ears from what we have heard so far and knowing all Fenton's scores. Of course it won't be as traditional or symphonic but then neither is nature itself, never has been.

Fenton's music for Planet Earth wasn't particularly a favorite of mine. But his music of Blue Planet and Deep Blue was. And that's anything but cold and clinical. Now those had passion and energy. Best check those out instead. wink

I'll see what Zimmer and his consorts deliver, and decide then.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2016 edited
    Even though Fenton's music for the first series was spectacular and became a favourite of mine, a change of style is always interesting. But Zimmer seems an odd choice. Anyhow, I like the trailer music, epic and powerful piece, and a catchy motif.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Again, Zimmer will only do the opening theme. Some guys called Sasha Klebe and Jacob Shea will do the actual score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    They've done stuff for similar Discovery Channel productions before, I believe, but it's a very odd direction to go in. I'll keep an open mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  2. Have you seen these two clips on the music for Planet Earth II?

https://youtu.be/jO0euMYLps4

https://youtu.be/U-VCFG8yJ5w
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Southall wrote
    They've done stuff for similar Discovery Channel productions before, I believe, but it's a very odd direction to go in. I'll keep an open mind.

They work for Zimmer. They will sound like Zimmer. He will be more involved than just writing the main theme, he's just polite enough to give credit where credit is due.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2016
    here is an extended trailer of Planet Earth II with original music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8aFcHFu8QM

jasha klebe also composed the fantastic music for Winter On Fire and the music in this trailer sounds also great. im really looking forward to this documentary and its soundtrack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    He will be more involved than just writing the main theme

Recording sessions started on 2 June in London. Zimmer's concert tour was 6 April to 5 June. So I can't believe he would have had much to do with it. As always, I may be wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lars wrote

Hmm. At least the visuals are stunning. Is that music really from the show? Sounds like generic trailer music which is very much not what I want Planet Earth II to sound like.
  4. Trailer music is always just trailer music unless specifically labeled otherwise.

Even when 98% of the planet is saying it's by John Williams, it's trailer music. The earlier video for Planet Earth II featuring actual Zimmer music was more along the lines of a promotional video than a trailer.
  5. Southall wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    He will be more involved than just writing the main theme

Recording sessions started on 2 June in London. Zimmer's concert tour was 6 April to 5 June. So I can't believe he would have had much to do with it. As always, I may be wrong.

But RC is all hip and modern and has video conferencing and stuff. Plus we all know Hans never goes to bed wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I see no reason to speculate that Zimmer did more than the theme, when that is what has been confirmed from multiple sources.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. If Hans does not win the next best original score Academy Award the Academy electoral system is obviously rigged and I am not prepared to concede someone else's win.

wink Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. Thor wrote
    I see no reason to speculate that Zimmer did more than the theme, when that is what has been confirmed from multiple sources.

The video of him talking about the score and working with Jacob and Jasha is plenty of reason when you've been listening to Hans talk for 25 years (counting historical interviews). Remember, he was the primary composer on Pirates 1 but is not even credited as a composer at all for legal reasons, and we didn't find out the real story for years and years. Eventually you just get a sense of these things. But I could be wrong. wink Jasha is well trained enough that it will still sound as Zimmerish as they want it to sound anyway.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2016
    Southall wrote
    Lars wrote

Hmm. At least the visuals are stunning. Is that music really from the show? Sounds like generic trailer music which is very much not what I want Planet Earth II to sound like.

klebe posted this trailer on his facebook site and the comments make the impression, that the music is the original score. yes...its totally different to george fentons score, but i think the theme and orchestration fit perfectly to the images, at least in this trailer.
  8. Lars wrote
    klebe posted this trailer on his facebook site and the comments make the impression, that the music is the original score. yes...its totally different to george fentons score, but i think the theme and orchestration fit perfectly to the images, at least in this trailer.

I think those flute trills sound surprisingly more Fenton-like than anything I would have expected from these composers...it can't be all bad even for non-Zimmer-fans wink
  9. Captain Future wrote
    If Hans does not win the next best original score Academy Award the Academy electoral system is obviously rigged and I am not prepared to concede someone else's win.

wink Volker

lol applause lol applause lol

Well played.
  10. My review of INFERNO, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/10/28/inferno-hans-zimmer/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2016
    New tour dates added:

http://www.hanszimmerlive.com/livetour/

Oslo is on there! Finally!

So that means both James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer will visit my town in the same year! That's very rare. A bit unfortunate for me, since it takes the 'pizzazz' out of my own film music festival plans, but I doubt that will get off the ground in 2017 anyway.

I really hope to get an interview this time. I've met him and seen him live several times, but never interviewed him personally. He's a superstar, so he's far more shielded than JNH.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    For those who have not seen it. It is a great show! But I recommend bringing ear plugs. It can become very loud.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2016 edited
    What a spectacular first episode of Planet Earth 2. The racer snakes scene was absolutely terrifying! And the survival of those pinguins being beaten on the rocks by giant waves is unbelievable. What a planet!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's been brilliant. The music is pretty good too though I don't know why Fenton wasn't back on board?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2016
    Haven't seen any of it yet but I do hope the music is decent. It's one of the many things that makes BBC natural history docs great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016
    Yes! I finally managed to secure accreditation for the Zimmer and JNH concerts in Oslo next year. Can't wait. The only downside with the Zimmer concert is that it collides with Cannes, so I guess I'll have to skip Cannes this year. :/
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorMilan NS
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016
    Hans - 1 day

Cannes - 12 days

What's the problem?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016 edited
    Good question. But it's smack in the middle. Cannes lasts from the 17th-28th of May, and the concert is on the 20th. But I could get the last 4-5 days, at least.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I've really been enjoying the score to Hidden Figures. It does seem strange to me how abruptly the tracks seem to end though. I feels like the album is over, but then another song begins to play. I just wish they would have transitioned the music a little better. In the film itself, I thought the music placement was odd, songs and score alike, that it would come out of nowhere. I like being able to appreciate the score much better on the soundtrack album. smile