• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2017 edited
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I've really been enjoying the score to Hidden Figures. It does seem strange to me how abruptly the tracks seem to end though. I feels like the album is over, but then another song begins to play. I just wish they would have transitioned the music a little better. In the film itself, I thought the music placement was odd, songs and score alike, that it would come out of nowhere. I like being able to appreciate the score much better on the soundtrack album. smile

The score is OK-ish, but the film is absolute rubbish.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I really enjoyed the movie. But true-story-underdog stories are my favorite, so that's not surprising. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2017
    It's not that. It's the insistant rhetoric, following all possible clichéed, Hollywood tropes to the tee. The only good thing about it was Kevin Costner, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I agree Kevin Costner did a great job. I've always like him as an actor. I also thought Jim Parsons was excellent too. He seemed very realistic, not just playing the "bad guy" for creating tension and drama in the movie, but I thought he played the role multidimensional enough to be very believable.
  3. I didn't care for that score. It didn't seem to do anything. I do look forward to seeing the film. I think it's an important story and should be more widely known.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2017 edited
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I agree Kevin Costner did a great job. I've always like him as an actor. I also thought Jim Parsons was excellent too. He seemed very realistic, not just playing the "bad guy" for creating tension and drama in the movie, but I thought he played the role multidimensional enough to be very believable.

I thought Parsons was rather dreadful; I didn't buy his story arc at all -- at the end, he was all goodie-two-shoes, like in a TV movie from the 90s. But then again, I was never a big fan of his or THE BIG BANG THEORY.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade, but HIDDEN FIGURES really annoyed me in most aspects.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. It's totally fine Thor. I completely agree with you that it could have been better.
  5. Every time the track "Blood of My Blood" starts playing on Batman V Superman, it trips me up, because it sounds SO much like Gladiator, I think somehow the album ended and it started up Gladiator without my knowledge, lol. smile Does this sort of thing happen to anyone else?
  6. In case you haven't seen it, Hans Zimmer performed on the Late Show last night. It was pretty cool to see some film/tv music on one of these late night variety shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoHyuh0 … e=youtu.be
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2017
    christopher wrote
    In case you haven't seen it, Hans Zimmer performed on the Late Show last night. It was pretty cool to see some film/tv music on one of these late night variety shows.

Yeah, I love it when that happens (even though I'm not as enamoured by the PLANET EARTH II soundtrack, in particular).
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote
    In case you haven't seen it, Hans Zimmer performed on the Late Show last night. It was pretty cool to see some film/tv music on one of these late night variety shows.

Yeah, I love it when that happens (even though I'm not as enamoured by the PLANET EARTH II soundtrack, in particular).

Nor am I, but there are a couple tracks from it that I come back to, and this is one of them.
  8. A Virus TI Access. Cool. I own a desktop version of that beast (sans keys).
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  9. christopher wrote

Cool, thanks for the link. Sounds nice, but not something I feel like I have to rush out to get. George Fenton did a pretty fantastic job with the first one.
  10. Yeah, it's not one of my favorite scores from last year, but it was cool to see some film music on a late night talk show. That's really uncommon. This is actually the first time I can remember ever seeing that.
  11. My review of THE BOSS BABY, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2017/04/07/the- … e-mazzaro/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2017
    Off to see Zimmer in Oslo!
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Don't forget earplugs. Or something like this. Have a good time!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2017
    Yup. Got the earplugs. I also think they hand them out for free at the arena. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Thor wrote
    Off to see Zimmer in Oslo!

have fun, we have to wait for a month to see (or hear) him on stage smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017
    Look better you must Aidabaida tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    *facepalm* I searched ZIMMER in all caps, since most of the composer threads are all caps. I wouldn't have thought there might be a low caps version, (or that the search function was dependent on it).
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It takes some time getting used to the format here, Aida, as well as the general "tone" (pr. our Giacchino debacle in the other thread).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    It seems the Dunkirk score was met with disappointment by one major critic.

"Another miscalculation is the score, by Hans Zimmer, a Jungian din of booming drums, bum-vibrating synth chords, and cawing string effects that loses much of its power by refusing to shut up," - Matt Zoller Seitz

Zoller Seitz also said that Maleficent was "bombastic and unmemorable" though.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2017
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2017 edited
    Achievement indeed , but look here's the thing, what the two do, is always overanylyzed and hyped. I absolutely loved batman films and scores, inception and interstellar also films and scores, and i think interstellar is z's best work to date but i think we might be giving them extra grace because they are the two of them. When it comes to dunkirk, imagine what someone like Elliot Goldenthal would have done with it. Something that will make you shiver in awe in film and also work excellently as a standalone musical work. Instead, more than half the album is filled with either actual sfx (screams, bombs, sirens, bangs etc) that make you wonder if they put sfx from the film innit too (like they sometimes put dialogue) and the rest is musical instruments simulating effects. And the biggest problem i have is that the much praised string lines at the end, come as saviour to the audio mayhem we've been subjected at before and they are indeed welcome, but they are essentially sparse vangelis-esque strings and synths lines with no real structure or themes, nothing you can hum or remember once they end.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2017
    D, what do you think of Brad Fiedel's TERMINATOR scores?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    didn't like them at first, at all, but beginning to bear them slightly more and more as years go by smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I ask, because I'm curious about what you think about scores that are perhaps closer to sound design than music. DUNKIRK is more "musical" than the TERMINATOR scores, for sure, but it subscribes to a similar ideology (musical effects mirroring actual sound effects) in many scenes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd much prefer it if it was musical instruments imitation - or even better, emulating sfx. Not actual sfx of screams bangs explosions etc, into music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, that is the case for DUNKIRK. Although it meshes organically with sound effects in many scenes, it's relatively easy to make out what's created by instruments and samples. It's also used in a more 'metaphysical sound effect way', if you will -- for example, there are no ticking clocks to be seen during the stretcher/beach sequence, but there's a sort of "symbolical clock" ticking down to the ship's departure, and the urgency in getting there in time.
    I am extremely serious.